Bright Eyes

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kevin

Bright Eyes

Postby kevin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Is Conor Oberst not amazingly amazing?

I really think he's one of the best lyricists of our time. Bright Eyes writes such awesome music, in my opinion anyways.

Brand New's album "Deja Entendu" is also really influenced by Bright Eyes. And a shit ton of pot, but hey what artist isn't?

rob insurgent

Re: Bright Eyes

Postby rob insurgent » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:28 am UTC

while he's sappy and cliche and pretty lame overall, he does manage to write some really really really good songs (case in point: lua) and some really really really good lyrics (case in point: lua)

Jack.H

Postby Jack.H » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 am UTC

Bright Eyes is pretty fucking amazing. Oberst writes very personal music, it's so clear in his music that he is growing up from album to album. The only things that seem to stay constant are awesome lyrics and earnest searching for something.

P.S.: I really like Neva Dinova, as well! (loosely associated with Bright Eyesish music, and I think they did a split somewhere with Oberst)
We smile disdainfully at those old words fatherland and religion.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:while he's sappy and cliche and pretty lame overall, he does manage to write some really really really good songs (case in point: lua) and some really really really good lyrics (case in point: lua)

this. I'm also a fan of his singing style or lack thereof.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

kevin wrote:Conor Oberst not amazingly amazing?

(mis)quoted for truth.

If I want to be depressed, I'll listen to Elliott Smith thanks very much.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

Bright Eyes are good. I love First Day of My Life; its a really pretty song. In fact that whole album is great.

I agree about the singing; some of the best singers are not ones which are technically good, but put a lot of emotion into it - Conor's voice reminds me of Wayne Coyne's sometimes.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:40 pm UTC

He's got a few good songs, but most of them are pretty so-so, and his lyrics range from pretty good to trying too hard to be clever.

Torben

Postby Torben » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

I really really like Bright Eyes, at first I thought it was so-so, but they grew on me so much... Road to Joy is now one of my favourite songs of all time. Ooh, and Lover I don't have to love is good.
Last edited by Torben on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
1101010111111110001111001111111 - tell me if you get it...

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:00 pm UTC

Aside from their last album Cassadaga (which I found very disappointing) I think they're terrific. Conor Oberst can be a bit of a moody git sometimes but he writes some great songs - Lifted is an especially good album, with the dark Lover I Don't Have to Love and the ten-minute sweep of Let's Not Shit Ourselves. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning, Digital Ash im a Digital Urn and Fevers and Mirrors are all excellent too though.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:33 pm UTC

If you like similarly awesome lyrics, check out The Mountain Goats.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

fevers and mirrors rocks my face off. something vague was one of my favorite songs for a long time.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:38 am UTC

no-genius wrote:
kevin wrote:Conor Oberst not amazingly amazing?

(mis)quoted for truth.

If I want to be depressed, I'll listen to Elliott Smith thanks very much.

this, however, was quoted for truth. I'll say that Elliott Smith influenced Oberst quite a bit, but is overall better in pretttttymuch every way. Though i do like a few Bright Eyes songs.
uhhhh fuck.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:37 am UTC

I used to like Bright Eyes alot more, I guess I just over listened on em. Fantastic music though, thanks for reminding me of the Wonder that is Lua.

That is an amazing Album, as is Fevers and Mirrors, and Digital Ash in a Digital urn.
And while I was initially disappointed with Cassadega i do like Hot Knives and I must belong somewhere.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

Eh. Conor Oberst has a lot of potential, but he needs to refine his songwriting. (Case in point "Four Winds," which has an amazing first verse, and then hits a wall). At times it seems like he wants to write about everything that's wrong all in one song, and though this works sometimes, as with "Don't Know When But A Day's Gonna Come," off of Lifted, more often than not this makes the song seem thematically unfocused. I do really like "I'm Wide Awake. It's Morning," but it's the only album I'll listen to all the way through rather than picking out the good bits. He's the classic untrained genius--frequent flashes of brilliance, but lacking the discipline to achieve consistent quality.

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

rob insurgent wrote:while he's sappy and cliche and pretty lame overall, he does manage to write some really really really good songs (case in point: lua) and some really really really good lyrics (case in point: lua)

You find Bright Eyes in general, but not Lua, to be sappy and cliché? I find that to be rather confusing.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

SnapDarty

Postby SnapDarty » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 am UTC

Bright Eyes is my favorite band (and that term must be used loosely) of all time. I fell in love with "them" in either eighth or ninth grade, and have listened damn-near daily since then. I am now a freshman in college. I own close to everything ever recorded under the Bright Eyes moniker and I believe everything Conor Oberst has ever recorded as a solo artist, along with myriad other recordings with different bands both on the Saddle Creek label and off.

I think what initially attracted me to the music was it's honesty. I know that's a fairly cliche statement, but I can't think of another songwriter (barring maybe Elliott) who can convey emotion in as humanly and relatably as Conor does. Sentiments like "I can't help noticing that she is sitting closer to me than she ever has before" ("Exaltation on a Cool Kitchen Floor" on A Collection of Songs Written and Recorded 1995-1997) may not be very well suited for song lyrics, but they're real. I know I've thought something similar to this before, but I had never heard it stated so simply and -in that simplicity- beautifully before I heard a teenaged Conor whisper it to me.

I understand if people don't like his music, as it's often very overwrought and, -as many have mentioned- cliche. Then again, I find these cliches started sprouting up as Bright Eyes gained popularity and Conor began to feel pressured to write music that was more "for the listeners." His first two albums, recorded when he was still quite young and Bright Eyes had never even really been heard of outside of Omaha, are my favorites. I suggest anyone (fan or not, really) who hasn't heard them check them out. They're very different from the seemingly radio-friendly Bright Eyes of today, and come with their own set of obstacles, but it's certainly some of my favorite writing. So very very honest.

I didn't plan on writing that much, but I could talk about Bright Eyes (and Conor, and Saddle Creek, tec.) for days. I generally get ridiculed by most people I try to talk music with when I mention Bright Eyes because it's "bitch music" and such, so I jump at the opportunity when it presents itself.

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

Words...Honesty...Cliché...Love

I really have to agree with everything said here. I got into bright eyes freshman year in high school due to my Drama teacher and I really haven't fallen out of love yet. "A Collection..." has my favorite bright eyes song of all time "Saturdays as Usual", but overall I think i like Lifted or Fevers more.

Beware if you are listening to it. It is very bad quality like it was recorded into a tape player.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Unbearable_Lightness

Postby Unbearable_Lightness » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Wardial3r wrote:
Beware if you are listening to it. It is very bad quality like it was recorded into a tape player.

The sound quality of his first couple of albums really terrible, they were recorded on a four track in his basement. But Saturday as Usual is a terrific song (and a couple of other ones off of "A Collection"), and his lyrics are always marvelously complicated. Trying to find out exactly what they mean is a great way to waste time.
It's easy to see why people would find Bright Eyes clichéd and overly emotional, but I really love it.
Somebody mentioned Neva Dinova; they did do a split, it's called "One Jug of Wine, Two Vessels". Even if you don't like Bright Eyes, its definitely worth listening to.

Unbearable_Lightness

Postby Unbearable_Lightness » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

What do you think of his (Conor Oberst's) most recent release with the Mystic Valley Band? It's not Bright Eyes-ish at all, but I think it's pretty good.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:54 pm UTC

Unbearable_Lightness wrote:What do you think of his (Conor Oberst's) most recent release with the Mystic Valley Band? It's not Bright Eyes-ish at all, but I think it's pretty good.

You mean last year's self-titled album? I quite liked it, not as good as the best Bright Eyes stuff but much better than Cassadaga was. I especially liked I Don't Want to Die (In the Hospital) and Souled Out. And there's a second album from Conor and the Mystic Valley Band this May - hooray!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

Yay for productive musicians!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:05 am UTC

I honestly enjoy Bright Eyes, but only at certain times. Usually when I am alone and missing my friends. Fevers and Mirrors makes me think of them for some odd reason.

Conor Oberst is talented, but he has so much potential to do more. :/

(Also, my favourite song is Haligh, Haligh, a Lie, Haligh.)

Unbearable_Lightness

Postby Unbearable_Lightness » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:(Also, my favourite song is Haligh, Haligh, a Lie, Haligh.)

Haligh is lovely. But you really can't listen to it unless it suits your mood; otherwise you generally end up deppressed or lonelier than you were to begin with.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Unbearable_Lightness wrote:
thefiddler wrote:(Also, my favourite song is Haligh, Haligh, a Lie, Haligh.)

Haligh is lovely. But you really can't listen to it unless it suits your mood; otherwise you generally end up deppressed or lonelier than you were to begin with.

Perhaps it helps that most of the time when I listen to it, I am driving in the country and all my worries and fears are stripped away.

Alternatively, I also listen to it with my best friend while driving in the car and we have massive sing-a-longs, except when it is a song that has screaming, which he will scream with and I will sing with.

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:55 am UTC

Whenever I hear haligh I always think the phone is off the hook. No matter how many times I hear it that is my first instinct.

Land Locked Blues I really like too.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Unbearable_Lightness

Postby Unbearable_Lightness » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:51 pm UTC

Have you heard One Foot in Front of the Other? It's the same lyrics as Landlocked Blues, but without Emmylou Harris singing and it's more upbeat. It's on Saddle Creek 50.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

Conor Oberst annoys me in some ways, but I like a lot of his music. If you like Bright Eyes, you should check out Right Away, Great Captain.

Stabable Offense

Postby Stabable Offense » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:28 am UTC

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Conor Oberst annoys me in some ways

Word on the street is he's a huge asshole which doesn't surprise me at all. I know some people who can't be fans of artists or actors they think aren't good people, personally I don't care as long as they put out good stuff.

Return to “Music”