Most Overrated Artists/Songs

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Maybe

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Maybe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 am UTC

Any freaking band with a designated person who does nothing but scream.
Brian Posehn also said it well in Metal by Numbers.
Boba Fett is my bro...ba... Fett..?

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Page 5 and nobody? Not a single person? You're sticking to the Beatles, but not bringing up other "ZOMG INFLUENTIAL" bands?

Iron Maiden. There, I said it.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Ahh, Metallica. I find them insufferable after more than 10 minutes of anything.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Check With Requisitions

Postby Check With Requisitions » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Marbas wrote:
willwithskills wrote:The only indie band that I think is really spectacular is Modest Mouse, especially their earlier stuff like The World at Large. On a related note, I think Arcade Fire is quite overrated. Sure, they're a great band, but are they really that revolutionary?

As someone who has thoroughly divorced from the mainstream for some time now, I would say that the term Indie has been hijacked very inappropriately by the popular lexicon to refer to any band that plays dreamy/twangy guitar rock that meets a requisite level of pretentiousness.

Sorry to necro-quote this, but this is what I was thinking when someone said "Hey! how could Lightning Bolt be considered indie?" Seriously, indie rock used to be a loud and abrasive cousin to punk rock (thinking of the eighties, though to be honest I'm grossly oversimplifying things), branching out over time until one particularly easy-to-like branch became mainstream. A band like Lightning Bolt is just keeping the fire alive. So was Mclusky. So are a lot of others, but at my school the only bands who ever play at the student union play dreamy/twangy guitar rock with no melodies. Sigh.

To contribute: Spiderland is overrated, but good. "Good Morning Captain" alone saves it from mediocrity, but the rest is good too. It's a shame some of the lyrics are so whiny/nerdy, though. I guess you'll never hear "Washer" on the radio, though. I guess I don't see any reason to be impressed by a TOUCHSTONE OF POST-ROCK when that subgenre is usually only a little better than meh at best.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:19 am UTC

any band that has not had to put years of sacrifice before getting a label deal ...

there are over rated bands that have sacrificed shit ... but any that hasn't is much worse.
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

FistMagnet

Postby FistMagnet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 am UTC

I've just listened through to "OK Computer" for the fourth time in two years, because I am genuinely curious about why people like it so much and am trying my best to keep an open mind. But I can honestly say that there isn't a single track on this disc that I don't find irritating. This might be the most overrated record of all time.

Now before anyone accuses me of being a Miley Cyrus fan or something, let me clarify my position. I'm pretty much your stereotypical Prog Rock Dork (own sixty Zappa records and three Yes shirts) but I also enjoy a lot of neo-classical, techno, British isles folk, classic rock and traditional country. That's the bias I'm coming from.

Maybe, if I were completely unaware of history before the year 1980, and had never heard any other so-called "progressive" rock music before in my life, I would find some of the material on OK Computer to be marginally innovative and clever. But no dice.

I frequently enjoy "bad" vocalists (Bob Dylan, Bernardo Lanzetti, Tom Waits, Bernardo Lanzetti, Lou Reed, Bernardo Lanzetti) but something about Thom Yorke's voice just makes me want to get drunk and pick a fight with him. You wanna know about alienation, Tommy? I know alienation. Alienation and I go way back. You, sir, just don't do alienation that well. Just because it's humourless and whiny doesn't necessarily make it profound.

The REAL best album of 1997:

http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=mk-slug

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Yeah, but Paranoid Android has a catchy riff, right? :P

FistMagnet

Postby FistMagnet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

Okay, I concede that Paranoid Android has one or two catchy riffs in it. So does every song on the first Spice Girls record, but that doesn't make it the best album of 1997 either. :P
"People have always laughed at great discoveries. They laughed at penicillin, they laughed at the theory of relativity, and they laughed at nitrous oxide."
-John Sladek

LittleKey

Postby LittleKey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Blink 182. The lead singer sounds like a prepubescent guy. I can't get through ANY of their songs, they're all horrible.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:08 am UTC

*ahem*
The REAL best album of 1997:
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... _emperor/f♯a♯∞__1995_1997_/

Anyway, Radiohead isn't "progressive rock," and the innovations they make are different than the innovations in prog. But, ultimately, I don't like OK Computer because it's so "innovative" or anything like that, I just like how it sounds and enjoy listening to it. There are a lot of people who say that Radiohead is very cerebral, non-accessible music, and I completely disagree with that. If you're coming to it expecting to have to listen a few times just to "get it," I can see how they would disappoint.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Check With Requisitions wrote:Seriously, indie rock used to be a loud and abrasive cousin to punk rock

..I thought indie rock used to be rock music put out by independent labels and nonsigned bands. I may just be mixing up indie and independent again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

Prog rock WAS innovative once; but I don't think it serves as a label to all and the only music that promotes innovation nowadays. From the 90's onwards, I think the biggest effort was in melding the acoustic with the electronic in novel ways, blurring (eliminating?) the line that separates each other. OK Computer isn't the best place in Radiohead's catalog to look for that (I think Kid A is the one for that), but I think it wins in terms of songcraft. It took me a while to truly learn to appreciate Thom's singing - I think In Rainbows and his solo The Eraser helped me a lot in that.

But I guess I just don't count "innovation" as a necessary quality to good music - it can be important, but it not always is. I mean, I do like Coldplay...

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:47 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Check With Requisitions wrote:Seriously, indie rock used to be a loud and abrasive cousin to punk rock

..I thought indie rock used to be rock music put out by independent labels and nonsigned bands. I may just be mixing up indie and independent again.

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF‽
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

cArebEarStare

Postby cArebEarStare » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:58 am UTC

BobMacDhonnchaidh wrote:
Thalagyrt wrote:Almost two pages and nobody's said Hendrix?

He's the single most consistently overrated guitarist ever to have lived.

:evil:

There's a special ring of hell for people who diss my man jimi. Just so you know.

Julien

Postby Julien » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Radiohead is the most overrated band ever. Sincerely, why are they supposed to be so creative and innovative ? They are not.

I also think Red Hot is completely overrated. Mr Bungle rules !
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

ivory.irony

Postby ivory.irony » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 am UTC

Pobega wrote:(Come to think of it, Geddy Lee's voice sometime has the same affect on me, but I still like Rush)

Augh, Geddy Lee's voice irritates me. But I will admit that the rest of the band is amazing.

henryatkinson

Postby henryatkinson » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

i think alot of people regard bob dylan as overrated as he's been forced into the mainstream to much when the majority of his work is folk/christian music especilly his early stuff

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:44 am UTC

I can't stand post-rock. At all. Except for some Slint.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

echoingsilence

Postby echoingsilence » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

I'm surprised most people here have stuck to criticizing indie bands, or at least bands that aren't very well know.

After all, there's so many more mainstram "artists" to slam XD
Rihanna's music drives me up the wall.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

Continuing with above post, Lil' Wayne is extremely overrated.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Muufacey

Postby Muufacey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

I like Radiohead. Lawl.

Now, as for overrated in my opinion. Fucking. Coldplay. I dislike them passionately.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Silas wrote:The Grateful Dead. Maybe a dozen actually good songs (which, admittedly, is nothing to sneeze at), but they're remarkable chiefly for their drug habit.

*quote bump*

What on earth are you talking about?
If you're talking about the studio albums, then fair enough. Completely and utterly missing the entire point, but fair enough- they are shit.

I dare you to listen to the first half of 12/10/1968 and say that again. Go on, I dare you.

"Ripple" alone deserves an award for over-the-top awesomeness.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:55 am UTC

U2. Their songs are decent, but people seem to think that they are the best thing in the universe. I just don't see what's so great about them.
yeah yeah yeah

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 am UTC

All people who trailblazed a new music genre a pretty much overrated like chuck berry and DJ Shadow. Animal collective is overrated. Wilco is overrated. Outkast, Public Enemy, and Sigur Rós are overrated. (I know a lot of people will probably come to Sigur Rós protection, but trust me, there are some people I know of in that same genre that make way better music than Sigur Rós.) Gnarles Barkley is Okay, but I think everyone pretty much knows that. The beatles just made pop music, their experimental stuff stinks. Queen sucks. The red hot chili peppers are overrated. Eric Clapton just made a good cover and layla. Pretty much all of the Rolling Stone's best artists ever are overrated, or at least the ones at the top of the list like pink floyd, michael Jackson, the who, metallica, Hendrix, just pretty much all the artists Rolling Stone likes. A lot "classics" aren't really classics.

Stop posting pop singers like Blink 182. They were never even rated good in the first place. There is no way Chemical Romance then can ever be overrated. Everyone knows they suck.

Radiohead is the best band ever, you just have to listen to more music and become more experienced with it. When you first taste wine you can't just all the sudden experience all of its flavors. You have to unlock all them by drinking a lot of wine over time. You have to become experienced to know what good wine is. You have to become experienced to know what good music is.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 am UTC

whoa... who did DJ Shadow better than DJ shadow? I wanna know, i wanna hear it.

Anyway, people who make new genres are often not as good as the people that come after them, because they don't explore the new territory as much as later artists who build on their work. The trailblazers are still very, very important, because they inspire all of the later people.

Radiohead...
I wouldn't call them the best band ever, but they write excellent music and often they pull it off well. Whats good about this is that when they write "off the formula" it works really well most of the time.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:18 am UTC

EKeric13 wrote:Radiohead is the best band ever, you just have to listen to more music and become more experienced with it. When you first taste wine you can't just all the sudden experience all of its flavors. You have to unlock all them by drinking a lot of wine over time. You have to become experienced to know what good wine is. You have to become experienced to know what good music is.

Meh, I would be careful throwing around that kind of rhetoric, because odds are you're going to meet someone who is more familiar with the experimental side of music, who would probably listen to stuff you would dismiss as chaotic, or noisy, or not music. I "get" good music. I've listened to a lot of Radiohead. I've listened to (and greatly enjoyed) a lot of stuff that's far more unusual and experimental and far less accessible than Radiohead. There was a time when I would have considered Radiohead the best band ever.

OK Computer and Kid A are good albums. Radiohead does a good job of traveling ever so slightly off the beaten path while still sticking with pop sensibilities and catchy melodies, which makes them similar (in ethic, if not in sound) to bands like Tool or The Mars Volta. Another similarity they have with these bands is that they have fans who somehow think their music is the most amazing, profound, complex stuff out there, who extol the "acquired taste" aspect of their music and deride anyone who doesn't love it as "just not getting it."

The fact of the matter is, it's still pop. And there's nothing wrong with pop at all. But if you're talking about heady intellectual acquired-taste style music (and I'm reaching a bit for the analogy here, because I'm absolutely not trying to say that pop music is childish at all and the only good, profound music is experimental or avant-garde, far from it, some of my favorite music is stripped down folk), but if you hold inaccessibility and anti-mainstream as things that make some music objectively better, it's a bit like arguing about which young adult novelist is the most profound. Some can be pretty damn good, but you're still talking about literature that's written so children can read and enjoy it. Likewise, some pop bands, like Radiohead, can be pretty experimental in terms of the rest, but they're still very much within the confines of radio-friendly pop music. Again, nothing wrong with that, but if you view "acquired taste" as something that makes music better, then you're failing by your own criteria.

I find it interesting that you mention Animal Collective, because their music seems to be far more of an acquired taste, and far less radio-friendly, than anything Radiohead has released. Maybe you should take your own advice on acquiring taste and delve a bit more into their back catalog?

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 am UTC

Tom Waits
Beatles
Radiohead
Metallica
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am UTC

How is Spinning plates considered pop?
But, yeah, I know radiohead isn't the best band ever. No band can be the best band ever. That is just the way I would say things in real life, many hyperboles and over exaggerations.
Of course nobody can do DJ shadow better than DJ shadow, because he is DJ Shadow. Just like nobody can do britney spears better than britney spears, because she is britney spears. (unless DJ shadow has now become synonymous for slicing sampled music). I am not saying what DJ Shadow did was pretty good, but just because something is unique and new doesn't all the sudden make it masterful.
Trust me, there is an aquired taste for radiohead. Why do you think coldplay sells way more albums, or that many people think muse is better than radiohead?
There are certain niches for everybody. It is nice to indulge every once in a while and listen to nothing more than a catchy beat. But there is no way Hardy Boys #116 can be better than say Moby Dick or Madame Bovary. You do not think if David Bowie wanted to he can make a simple pop song? He could easily. But if Hanson wanted to make the next space oddity, they wouldn't have a chance.
That is why I said that animal collective is overrated, since people think that they are like the least accessible band ever, when they are not.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:59 am UTC

I'm using pop in the sense that rock and metal are still "pop," not in the Top 40 sense of the word. I won't deny that it's experimental (and probably one of their most experimental songs on one of their most experimental albums) but the structure and melody of the song is fairly straightforward, even if the recording itself is unique. But as far as experimental acquired-taste music goes, Radiohead is on the very tip of the iceberg.

I'm sure there's some degree of acquired taste for Radiohead, but there's also such a thing as a distaste. I'm not a huge fan of Muse, but they're a fairly different band than Radiohead, and there are things they do better than Radiohead. I spent a fair amount of time being a big fan of both bands (and I discovered Muse after I discovered, enjoyed, and purchased several albums by Radiohead). I've never really liked Coldplay, but they fill an almost entirely different niche than Radiohead and are only mildly related, at best. And, while I think Radiohead has written good songs and is a good band, and while I think OK Computer and Kid A are albums that are worth owning, I think a lot of their stuff (stuff I used to absolutely adore) is just ok. And there are times when I have to say, well, it may be inaccessible, but that doesn't make it better. Because, ultimately, even if I have to listen to different kinds of music differently, it all comes down to whether or not I enjoy it. The problem I have with most Top 40 music isn't that it's too simple and catchy, it's that it isn't catchy enough. If there are producers that can devote their careers to writing the perfect Top 40 pop song and still put out a lot of duds (Kanye West, for example, has written some amazing music, but most of his stuff is pretty mediocre) I have a hard time believing that someone who works in a different area of music could do what they do better.

It's strange hearing that approach to Animal Collective, because I'm used to hearing it from the other direction: people who are into avant-garde music who also happen to like Animal Collective because they're a more mainstream band that's still fairly experimental.

seladore

Postby seladore » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:37 am UTC

EKeric13 wrote:[...] Sigur Rós are overrated. (I know a lot of people will probably come to Sigur Rós protection, but trust me, there are some people I know of in that same genre that make way better music than Sigur Rós.)

Such as? I'm not being defensive - as a Sigur Rós fan, I'd love to know of similar music, because I don't know of anything remotely like it.

I do think Sigur Rós's recent stuff is overrated. Takk is ~OK, and their new album is terrible, in my opinion. Having said that though, I still think ( ) is the greatest album I have ever heard.

Overrated bands;

U2
Oasis

Maybe REM, though I'm willing to concede that I may have just not 'got' them yet. They've never done it for me, though.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

^ Agreeing on the Sigur Ros thing. I don't know any other post-rock band that has that kind of sound and vocals.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

airplanespaceship3

Postby airplanespaceship3 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

I don't mean to offend anyone, but really now, Mozart. He seems to be the go-to name to epitomize the Western classical music tradition. His stuff, while very much "classical", tends not to be as interesting as one is led to believe. Not that he isn't great, just not *that* great, I don't think.
"What's 2+2?"
"What do you want it to be?"

liltimmy

Postby liltimmy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Metallica, especially because they weren't as good after master of puppets, and were only ok after Justice for All.
Coldplay are overrated for what they are, along with all the other bands that emulate coldplay.
Indie music is overrated. I use indie in the term coined by record companies to promote a bunch of talentless twerps with the stage presence of a dishcloth and have them play songs that sound the same.
Lots of new metal music is overrated, since all they seem to do is put 900 different kinds of distortion on and mash the strings and scream a bit.

Oh, and perhaps Iron maiden. Seriously, don't take this the wrong way, I love Iron maiden, I own all the albums and a bunch of live ones and I go to the concerts.
The thing is that some of the fans get a bit fanatical, mostly fans of the 12-15 age group who scream on youtube.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

liltimmy wrote:Indie music is overrated. I use indie in the term coined by record companies to promote a bunch of talentless twerps with the stage presence of a dishcloth and have them play songs that sound the same.
I hear people say this a lot, but I'm not sure what they mean. What specific bands fall under this category?

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:09 am UTC

If you ever want to find similar artists this site is really good:
http://musicroamer.com/

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:34 am UTC

EKeric13 wrote:Radiohead is the best band ever, you just have to listen to more music and become more experienced with it. When you first taste wine you can't just all the sudden experience all of its flavors. You have to unlock all them by drinking a lot of wine over time. You have to become experienced to know what good wine is. You have to become experienced to know what good music is.

You say that as if "good music" is a universal concept that applies to everyone. By listening to more and more music, of course you find ways to deepen and refine your taste and your perception, but no, it does not give you more rights to say someone doesn't know what good music is -- because everyone has his own personal definition of "good music" that works for him.

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:59 am UTC

airplanespaceship3 wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone, but really now, Mozart. He seems to be the go-to name to epitomize the Western classical music tradition. His stuff, while very much "classical", tends not to be as interesting as one is led to believe. Not that he isn't great, just not *that* great, I don't think.

This. Yes. I can think of maybe 3 pieces by him that I actually enjoyed to a degree.
yeah yeah yeah

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 am UTC

I do not know what it is about music, but people just take it the wrong way.
If I say that there is no way that you cannot critically say, as an adult, that The Baby Sitters club books are better than Lolita or the great Gatsby. And people will agree. Even the author of the baby sitters club books will agree.
If I say that that there is no way Beethoven's Big break, the kajillionth Beethoven movie with that dog, is a higher form of art than Apocalypse Now, "the horror...the horror" Just typing that sends shivers down my spine, then people do not have a problem with it.
Yeah, as a kid you may like the Disney sequel like Aladdin 2 better than the original, but you are still learning about the world. With a mature frame of mind you can say that one form of art is better than another. For God's sake this is under the "High Culture" section of XKCD. I believe in high culture. You may not and that is fine, but I do.
People are fine with me saying super baby geniuses 2 is worse than The Usual Suspects, but, and I don't know why, they get really pissed off if I say that The Smith's Charming Man is a better song than Flo rida's low.
If I drew a picture it would not be as good as Monet's water lilies. It just wouldn't.
I am not saying people shouldn't listen to music they enjoy. If it makes them happy, then go for it. As long as it doesn't hurt other people than people should be able to do what they want. But that doesn't mean what they like is better. It is just what they like.
I am not saying that I know what's best, I am not saying that you know what's best, I am just saying that there is a higher form of art out there that transcends personal taste.

EKeric13

Postby EKeric13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 am UTC

About Mozart:
How can you say you only enjoy 3 pieces?
He has a lot of good music. A lot.
I just think people have a problem with the fact that he is the only known classical musician. People kind of know Beethoven, bach, and some other major ones like Schumann. They do not know Edvard Grieg, Stravinsky, Rimsky Korsakov, or Hadyn.
Mozart, is still, really, really good. It is safe to say that he is better than Hadyn, Grieg, and Korsakov.
This is just a backlash effect since Mozart is just SO well known. Never doubt a genius like Mozart though. No matter how popular he is.
It is just like Einstein being the only well known scientist, when there were plenty of other geniuses like Heisenburg, Tesla, and Euler. (well those aren't all scientists but you get what I mean).
That doesn't mean Einstein is a bad scientist. It is just that there are no other really CELEBRITY scientists like Einstein.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Ekeric13: I would say that the difference between music and these other forms of art that you're mentioning is that when you say "X is clearly better/a higher art form than Y" and you're talking about film and literature, what you're really saying (and what most people take you to mean) is that "X has more depth and/or is more intellectually stimulating than Y." These are criteria that, while not quite definite, are still mostly agreed upon until you get into the more experimental realm (abstract paintings and sculptures, experimental writing, stuff where "meaning" isn't particularly evident). There are also ways of measuring talent (your sketch versus Monet) that, more or less, have an established metric.

With music, there isn't that established metric. It's hard to point to a piece of music as "meaningful," and while music certainly can be intellectually stimulating by being technically outstanding or lyrically profound, it clearly isn't just the technical excellence in the music itself, because music can be technically magnificent and still boring and uninspired, and some of the greatest music has no lyrics. The best pieces of music are the pieces that move you in some unexplainable way. Music is all about aesthetics, and so it's much more akin to the more abstract forms of painting or sculpting or writing. It's like judging a painting based on the color palette, or a book on the way the words flow. Once you get into those abstract areas, these other artforms are much like music, in that you'd be hard pressed to find any solid objective judgements, since aesthetic appeal is extremely subjective. It's less like saying "Beethoven is a better movie than Apocalypse Now" and more like saying "The shots in Beethoven have better visual composition than the shots in Apocalypse Now" or "Beethoven has better lighting." This is probably untrue, but less obviously so, and I don't have too much trouble imagining someone arguing this.

The problem is, with music, these subjective aspects are really all we have to go on. You can train and widen your taste so that you can enjoy more complicated or varied music, and you may find a lot of personal satisfaction in enjoying music that is more complex or inaccessible, but it's still very objective.

For example, I can listen to and enjoy amelodic ambient music, I can listen to and enjoy black metal, and I'm quite a fan of ambient black metal. However, I find Xasthur to be unbearably boring. I had to train myself twice over just to be able to really say that I "get" the kind of music that Xasthur is recording, but I still don't like it. So it obviously isn't that inaccessible, acquired taste aspect of the music that makes it good. Wolves in the Throne Room, on the other hand, is an ambient black metal band that I really enjoy. They're the same sort of acquired taste as Xasthur, but I find them good, and Xasthur terrible. I could say Wolves in the Throne Room is great because they're writing unconventional music, not conforming to pop standards or tired cliches, all that, but neither is Xasthur, and that isn't enough to make Xasthur any better in my mind than Top 40 pop, so that's no reason for me to consider Wolves in the Throne Room better either. The reason I like Wolves in the Throne Room ultimately comes down to some sort of unexplainable aesthetic quality of their music that I can connect with. It all comes down to subjective personal taste.

Return to “Music”