Most Overrated Artists/Songs

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
airplanespaceship3
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:04 am UTC
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby airplanespaceship3 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

EKeric13 wrote:This is just a backlash effect since Mozart is just SO well known.

While I agree with you that only liking 3 of his pieces is a bit extreme, ^that is basically what is meant by "overrated".
"What's 2+2?"
"What do you want it to be?"

User avatar
Spacemilk
Posts: 936
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm UTC
Location: Hugh ston
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:32 pm UTC

Re: Pink Floyd: I have to semi-disagree. DSOTM is an absolutely amazing album. The Wall was meh in my opinion, but it's one of those records where it does have a lot of meaning to it, so to say it's overrated when people have actually found a personal meaning to it seems, well I don't know, not right. This is in contrast to recent posts with Rihanna and Lil' Wayne - I hope they haven't gotten rated highly enough that we could even say they're overrated, but if that did happen I would agree they're overrated because their songs don't accomplish anything except possibly making you grind up on the nearest human being.

Re: Sigur Ros: In my experience they're still not that well known popularly. Yeah a lot of critics know and love them because they've made beautiful and unconventional music . . . are we talking crtically overrated music or popularly overrated music? Either way I don't think they're well known enough to qualify. Seems like that happens a lot in this thread - flash-in-the-pan bands that will be long forgotten in 2-3 years are being graced with a mention. They don't deserve it. Just imo, there's a lot more room for discussion if you talk about bands that are credited with a major change in the sound of music in general.

Re: Led Zeppelin: I can't even properly defend them because my brain shuts down because I can't grasp that someone could call them overrated. I mean how could you bleegle warble yargle arrgh!!!

...Ok I'm back. Stairway to Heaven is way overplayed, but it is not overrated. Period.

My overrated bands:
-Nirvana (I like their music, I do. I just don't think that someone who - to paraphrase the immortal Weird Al - sounds like he has marbles in his mouth should be rated really highly. But he did do some cool stuff.)
-Metallica. Has anyone disagreed with this one in this thread?
-Beatles. I'm sorry . . . their songs are catchy, and a couple are meaningful, but their most highly rated songs seem to be about the same thing and follow the same formula.
-U2. Good, fun to listen to, nothing spectacular.
milk from space is good for you!



User avatar
Jackpot
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 11:57 am UTC
Location: University o' Teesside
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Jackpot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Jimi Hendrix.

Fucking awesome, god tier? Yes.

Actually best guitarist of all time? No.

Some other contenders for best guitarist ever :

Ron Jarzombek : Atonal shred and prog.
Jason Schimmel : general versitility
Ywingie Malmsteen : Neo classical music, shred
Paul Gilbert : Neo Classical, shred
Santana : Blues
Duane Allman : Slide
Jerry Garcia : Psychadelia + jam
Tony Iommi : Dissonant riffing and blues solos.
Trey spruance : Incorpirating ethnic themes.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

EKeric13
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby EKeric13 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:57 am UTC

airplanespaceship3 wrote:
EKeric13 wrote:This is just a backlash effect since Mozart is just SO well known.

While I agree with you that only liking 3 of his pieces is a bit extreme, ^that is basically what is meant by "overrated".

A backlash has nothing to do with being overrated. It just happens when something gets too popular.
There was a backlash against 300, Spiderman (the third one), and many other things once they became too popular.
Mozart defined what great music was for the next hundred years and was emulated repeatedly by many many musicians, while influencing all others. He was the Da Vinci of music.

Anyway, i came here to retract some former statements:
i regret saying the beatles were overrated. I was listening to Yesterday yesterday (ugh, I should probably work around that, but I'm not) and I realized just how great of a song that was, not just musically, but what really made it great, the fact that it connects with everybody. Everybody knows what that song is talking about. It shares your empathy.... it shares everybody's empathy. It defines what makes life so sad and so hard sometimes. I do not know of any other song that can universally connect to so many people. Actually no, to everybody. And that is what made the Beatles so great, they were able to connect to everybody. They understood everybody's deepest and most innermost feelings, feelings that are supposed to be locked down deep never to be fully realized, and were able to translate those feelings into songs. Why do you think there was such a craze over the beatles. A phenomenon that nobody else had seen before and nobody else has seen since. People knew what they were talking about and loved them for it. Adored them for it. Went crazy over them for it. You know those times when you are trying to think of the right word to say but just can't get it and then somebody finally tells you and you are like "Yes! that's it! Finally!" Thats what the beatles do except they don't do that about words, they do that about life. Whether it is such germane subjects like wanting to hold somebody's hand, just letting it be, or wanting to live in the perfect utopia, the beatles have expressed it the way no other person can and in a way no other words could do justice to.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby philsov » Fri May 15, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Korn.

From Life to Peachy all the way down to their greatest hits. Looking at amazon, they apparently had a self-titled release back in 94, but they really didn't make it until 96. Horrible singing, horrible lyrics, horrible cacophony all the way from when they first spawned to when they turned "Another Brick in the Wall" into yet another "why doesn't daddy love me" cryfest. And the beatbox scat can diaf.

Their only redeeming quality was hooking riffs. I think I could listen to the first 7 seconds of Freak on a Leash on loop for like a day and still want more.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Heft
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Heft » Sat May 16, 2009 8:26 am UTC

Overrated: Metallica, Rolling Stones, U2, and probably Michael Jackson and Radiohead too.

The Beatles and Bob Dylan could be considered overrated only because they've both been elevated to mythological status, but the Beatles were an excellent band and there are legitimate reasons why their music has basically turned into a common cultural touchstone and 40+ year old albums still sell well, etc. It may not be the most brilliant music, and some of their "experimental" stuff really did suck (though some was good), but it's relatively simple, fun, easy and accessible. The bulk of their catalog is essentially perfect pop music. Also, they made modern mainstream music possible and influenced everyone ever, etcetcetc.

Bob Dylan had some absolutely brilliant lyrics, and while I can't really take everything he's done wholesale, "Desolation Row" alone is better than the total output that most other bands or artists have ever or will ever produce. "All Along The Watchtower" turned from a great poem to a great song after Hendrix got his hands on it and then Dylan got his hands back on it. His music isn't as accessible as most, and the real draw is the lyrics.

Queen aren't really overrated since they don't seem to be rated all that highly or taken very seriously. They have an excellent catalog of music and some great talent, though I think their 70's stuff was more consistently better than their 80's stuff, which seemed to have a few great songs and a lot of not really so much songs. Pink Floyd is....mistargeted. Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Obscured by Clouds are not very well known but all arguably better than The Wall or Animals, or even Wish You Were Here. Echoes is a brilliant masterpiece of music.

User avatar
Gaz
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:37 am UTC
Location: Aus.
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Gaz » Sun May 17, 2009 9:53 am UTC

Korn.



I leeched a fair chunk of a mates's music and somehow magically I lost vocal tracks to some songs - Korn being one. The bassist is pretty darn good when you can hear him.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Mous » Sun May 17, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Korn, Slipknot and Cradle of Filth.
Dethklok.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

User avatar
mdx_stargoliath
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the vast universe of space...
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Mon May 18, 2009 3:52 am UTC

Dethklok? Really someone is going to mention the band made by the show. I think the whole point to them is being overated.

I keep seeing The Mars Votla come up which is really just bullshit. They are anything but overated. I've never heard them on the radio, barely see them on any music television show, and I dont know anyone who has heard of them unless I introduced someone to them.


This is all very confusing.

I think the problem is that we all have a different definition of "overated" and that also I've come to the conclusion that it seems to me that personal preference is coming into consideration here more so than a logical conclusion of what is overated and what isnt.

So I'll aks the question...

What specifically are we discussing?

A band overall?
A bands song?
A bands album?
A bands impact on popular culture?
Noteriety of band?
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon May 18, 2009 4:18 am UTC

mdx_stargoliath wrote:Dethklok? Really someone is going to mention the band made by the show. I think the whole point to them is being overated.
The problem is that I know people who legitimately considered their album - which was only ever funny because it made the cliches of power metal transparent - to be the best metal album of the year.

mdx_stargoliath wrote:I keep seeing The Mars Votla come up which is really just bullshit. They are anything but overated. I've never heard them on the radio, barely see them on any music television show, and I dont know anyone who has heard of them unless I introduced someone to them.
I've heard them on the radio (both L'via and The Widow back when France the Mute was new, also Televators before then), seen them on television (music video channels, also an entire concert on a local station), and played a song of theirs in guitar hero.

Besides all that, they have a cult following and fans which pretty much extol them as the best thing ever. I was one of them, from a year before Frances the Mute to just after Amputechture. I've met few people whose opinion of The Mars Volta was just "they're kinda cool, I listen to them from time to time." They may not be overrated by the general public, but they're definitely overrated by their fans.

User avatar
dedalus
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm UTC
Location: Dark Side of the Moon.

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby dedalus » Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

There's plenty of bands that are 'overrated by fans'. Hell, I'd say the entire emo and punk genres and a lot of rap/hiphop/rnb, though people would possibly disagree. I think we're talking about bands that are overrated on the whole.
Putting my 2 cents in regarding the topic:

U2 is probably the most overrated band I know of... I do listen to them, but so many people build them up to being something they're not, and the band themselves takes on the whole superstar role.
I'm umming and aahing about metallica; since about master of puppets their music has gone steadily downhill, but I hear this so much from people that I think it's rated about the same, and therefore not overrated. The same goes for most emo music... bands like Simple Plan are paid out so much it's hard to see how they could be considered overrated.
Pink Floyd/Beatles really aren't overrated. Anyone who thinks The Beatles are overrated needs to listen to their latter albums, and put them in the right time-frame... 60's music isn't as popular these days, and plenty of people have copied. People who say Floyd are overrated, get your head checked.
What I will say is pop bands like Kings of Leon etc are way overrated by the general public. Sex is on fire is one of the most annoying songs i've heard.
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

User avatar
mdx_stargoliath
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 5:37 pm UTC
Location: Somewhere in the vast universe of space...
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

I've heard them on the radio (both L'via and The Widow back when France the Mute was new, also Televators before then), seen them on television (music video channels, also an entire concert on a local station), and played a song of theirs in guitar hero.

Besides all that, they have a cult following and fans which pretty much extol them as the best thing ever. I was one of them, from a year before Frances the Mute to just after Amputechture. I've met few people whose opinion of The Mars Volta was just "they're kinda cool, I listen to them from time to time." They may not be overrated by the general public, but they're definitely overrated by their fans.


Well then that goes straight back to what I was asking in the first place. What are the limits to whats considered overated? How many times were they played on the radio? How many times on music television? So if they are on guitar hero that makes them overated? I think we should determine what were going to classify as overated before saying something is considered overated. For example we have two types of overated here...the "Fans make them overated" argument and the "General Public who overate artist" argument. Which one should we base it off of? One, the other or both. Also you have to consider The Mars Volta fanbase is basicly a minority so I'm not sure if you can say that they overate them. I'm a huge Mars Volta fan and I try to get the word out on them because they are great musicians who I believe deserve to be heard. I dont think we should base it off the fact we have a few dumb people who treat them as Gods. And even then some times those people are just expressing a love for the artist not seriously meaning that they are God but dont have any other way to explain how they feel towards that band or artist at that time. You have that occur for every band ever. So in essence couldn't you say that "EVERY" band is overated.
Last edited by mdx_stargoliath on Wed May 20, 2009 3:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Brother Maynard
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 pm UTC

airplanespaceship3 wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone, but really now, Mozart. He seems to be the go-to name to epitomize the Western classical music tradition. His stuff, while very much "classical", tends not to be as interesting as one is led to believe. Not that he isn't great, just not *that* great, I don't think.


My love for the man's Requiem Mass begs to differ.

Mr. Bill
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Mr. Bill » Wed May 20, 2009 4:10 am UTC

The Eagles.

Apparently they're one of the best-selling bands of all time, but I don't see what's so great about them.

User avatar
Phill
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC
Location: Colchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Phill » Wed May 20, 2009 7:58 am UTC

dedalus wrote:What I will say is pop bands like Kings of Leon etc are way overrated by the general public. Sex is on fire is one of the most annoying songs i've heard.


Agree 100% with the Kings of Leon. The latter part of 2008, it seemed people were talking about their album like it was the best piece music ever written, that it would change your life and cure cancer. Ok, that's a slight exaggeration but it seemed to me there was a lot of hype about it.

Brother Maynard wrote:My love for the man's Requiem Mass begs to differ.


I, too, love Mozart's Requiem - but don't forget that it was sketched by Mozart but completed by Sussmayer :) Having said that, I wouldn't call Mozart overrated. It took me a while to "get" his music, but it's just so damn perfect it would be difficult to overrate him IMO.

User avatar
1337geek
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:21 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby 1337geek » Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

Mr. Bill wrote:The Eagles.

Apparently they're one of the best-selling bands of all time, but I don't see what's so great about them.

Indeed. How did they not make my list?
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby achan1058 » Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 am UTC

airplanespaceship3 wrote:I don't mean to offend anyone, but really now, Mozart. He seems to be the go-to name to epitomize the Western classical music tradition. His stuff, while very much "classical", tends not to be as interesting as one is led to believe. Not that he isn't great, just not *that* great, I don't think.
I agree with you. The amount of truly great work of Mozart isn't all that large. Also, since he had to avoid giving the nobles heart attacks, the music is very restrained, which doesn't make it any better.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Wednesday » Sat May 23, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Metallica and punk as a genre.


THANK YOU! I cant stand listening to any Metallica. Beatles are also horrid, as is Dylan. Basically everything is overrated. But really, stuff like the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana isnt even music.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

EKeric13
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby EKeric13 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:55 am UTC

"The amount of truly great work of Mozart isn't all that large. Also, since he had to avoid giving the nobles heart attacks, the music is very restrained, which doesn't make it any better."
No getting facts from the movie Amadeus.
That movie is full of fabrications and tricks hollywood uses. Like how he dies and is buried in an unmarked grave. That was how it was suppose to be back then. It is not because he was forgotten.

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby achan1058 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

EKeric13 wrote:"The amount of truly great work of Mozart isn't all that large. Also, since he had to avoid giving the nobles heart attacks, the music is very restrained, which doesn't make it any better."
No getting facts from the movie Amadeus.
Never actually watched the movie, so I am not getting facts there. It was my piano teacher's remark on me playing Mozart's music too much like how one would play Beethoven. And if you actually compare Mozart and say Stravinsky, Mozart is very restrained indeed. I do not know whether it is Mozart's nature to be restrained, or was he trying to avoid murdering the nobles, but regardless, I don't like it.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby sje46 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Actually, I think the Beatles are underrated, if anything.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Smiling Hobo
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

sje46 wrote:Actually, I think the Beatles are underrated, if anything.
I don't see how that works. A lot of people think they're the most important musical ensemble of the 20th century.

Underrated: Pavement (see avatar). I know they have a pretty substantial cult following, but I think they deserve more than that. Fuck Nirvana, these guys are the real kings of the 90s.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

User avatar
Mous
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 am UTC
Location: Virginia

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Mous » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Beatles are definitely overrated.

Pavement is underrated to non-Pavement fans, and way overrated among their fans. If that makes any sense at all..
Basically, they're not as good as certain people think, but they're definitely worth looking at, and deserve far more credit than they get.
Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

EKeric13
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby EKeric13 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:54 am UTC

"compare Mozart and say Stravinsky, Mozart is very restrained indeed"
I wouldn't call Mozart restrained, just Stravinsky is a genius with the rite of spring and all.
But you have to look at the time difference. Mozart's world was much more conservative.
Women couldn't talk back (to their husbands or in court), children could only speak when spoken too.
The enlightenment was an upper class movement, it wasn't until the romantic movement in the 1800s that democracy and liberalism spread, as opposed to enlightened despotism.
For Mozart's time i wouldn't call mozart unrestrained.
You can't compare composers that were easily over a 100 years a part. Even today, Elvis's music, who parent's use to find radical and thought should be censured, seems very mild compared to music 40 years later with the wu-tang clan (any other rapper actually), any rocker, any hip-hop artist, and pretty much all of our current music

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby achan1058 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:12 pm UTC

EKeric13 wrote:But you have to look at the time difference. Mozart's world was much more conservative.

For Mozart's time i wouldn't call mozart unrestrained.
You can't compare composers that were easily over a 100 years a part.
That's why I said he was trying to avoid giving nobles heart attacks, it was because their world is conservative. Anyways, it might be unfair to pit Mozart against Stravinsky, but I can pit him against Beethoven, and Mozart is still very restrainted.

EKeric13
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby EKeric13 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:51 am UTC

achan1058 wrote:
EKeric13 wrote:But you have to look at the time difference. Mozart's world was much more conservative.

For Mozart's time i wouldn't call mozart unrestrained.
You can't compare composers that were easily over a 100 years a part.
That's why I said he was trying to avoid giving nobles heart attacks, it was because their world is conservative. Anyways, it might be unfair to pit Mozart against Stravinsky, but I can pit him against Beethoven, and Mozart is still very restrainted.


How can you even say mozart was restrained? What evidence is there?
Why wouldn't he try his best and explore as much as he could to create the best piece of music possible?
Nobody ever sets out to create something and say "you know, this could be really great, but i'm not really in the mood to expand my legend and make more money and create art so i think i'll tune it back a bit and just make a good piece."

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby sje46 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:
sje46 wrote:Actually, I think the Beatles are underrated, if anything.
I don't see how that works. A lot of people think they're the most important musical ensemble of the 20th century.
Nah, dude. They should be considered the greatest musical ensemble of the 19th and 18th centuries too.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

EKeric13
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby EKeric13 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:00 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Smiling Hobo wrote:
sje46 wrote:Actually, I think the Beatles are underrated, if anything.
I don't see how that works. A lot of people think they're the most important musical ensemble of the 20th century.
Nah, dude. They should be considered the greatest musical ensemble of the 19th and 18th centuries too.


Weren't they the most important musical ensemble of the 20th century?
After all they were bigger than jesus.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby sje46 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Jesus could barely shake a tamborine.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:26 am UTC

Mous wrote:Pavement is underrated to non-Pavement fans, and way overrated among their fans. If that makes any sense at all..
Basically, they're not as good as certain people think, but they're definitely worth looking at, and deserve far more credit than they get.

Nearly every band matches that description.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Wednesday
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 6:31 pm UTC
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:31 am UTC

Unfortunately, not every band uses a tamborine. Or a cowbell, for that matter.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

achan1058
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby achan1058 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 am UTC

EKeric13 wrote:How can you even say mozart was restrained? What evidence is there?
Why wouldn't he try his best and explore as much as he could to create the best piece of music possible?
Nobody ever sets out to create something and say "you know, this could be really great, but i'm not really in the mood to expand my legend and make more money and create art so i think i'll tune it back a bit and just make a good piece."
Because it is too beautiful, too perfect. It also means it lacks edge. Whether he intentionally or unconsciously held back did not matter.

MrRad08
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:55 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby MrRad08 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 am UTC

The kinks I find to be very underrated.

Zanmanoodle
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:13 am UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Zanmanoodle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:38 am UTC

Oh boy, here we go.

OVER-RATED: (and not the obvious crap like Nickelback and stuff)

The xx
The Smiths
The Decembrists
Rage Against the Machine
New Order
The Smiths
NIN
LCD Soundsystem
Blur

UNDER-RATED:
KISS
The Greenhornes
The Vines
The Subways
The Kinks
Alice Cooper
Blue Cheer
ELO
The Faces

User avatar
Amie
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am UTC
Location: in Somnia.

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Amie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:00 am UTC

Metallica is not overrated. Kirk Hammett is. Some of their songs are, too.

Most overrated song for me is definitely 'Smoke on the water'.
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

User avatar
freaki
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:50 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby freaki » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

fucking nickleback

I used to like them , until that bloody song rockstar got played a million bazillion times everywhere all the time.
it was then that I realized that Chad Kroeger does kinda look like a spaniel that has just come in from the rain.
Ever looked at the sky and thought "why?"
no?
me neither.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Midnight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Jackpot wrote:Jimi Hendrix.

Fucking awesome, god tier? Yes.

Actually best guitarist of all time? No.

Some other contenders for best guitarist ever :

Ron Jarzombek : Atonal shred and prog.
Jason Schimmel : general versitility
Ywingie Malmsteen : Neo classical music, shred
Paul Gilbert : Neo Classical, shred
Santana : Blues
Duane Allman : Slide
Jerry Garcia : Psychadelia + jam
Tony Iommi : Dissonant riffing and blues solos.
Trey spruance : Incorpirating ethnic themes.

Aight so you can't say Jimi Hendrix isn't the best and then say Santana is a blues guitarist, Yngwie is remotely good, or Allman is a great slide guitarist. Way better blues guitarists, Yngwie is terrible (but there's some redemption in you mentioning Gilbert), and there's superior slide gutiarists, like Derek Trucks.


If you like the metallica formula (intro verse chorus verse chorus kirk-hammett-solo* chorus)
*or the kirk-hammett-solo: phyrgian up high, blues scale down low, arpeggio back up and use the whammy bar with some wah
Metallica is great. Me, I'm not a huge thrash fan, and I don't like Hetfield's voice (also Jason Newstead is a bad bassist compared with Burton or Trujillo) so I'm not that big a met-la-ka fan.


Overrated: Rage Against The Machine, besides their self-titled debut. That album is superlative, and it's quite literally the best album ever if you're angry. Everything is just "hurrr durr we're funky" instead of their first album's "FUCK YEAH OUR LEAD GUITARIST IS A HARVARD POLISCI MAJOR AND WE'RE FUCKIN FURIOUS"
Also overrated: jack white. If you want to quote this and refute it, don't. It will not change the facts, and therefore it won't change my opinion. Go ahead, cite "ball and biscuit" as evidence that he's good. I'll just say 'nobody should be considered good just for mimicking hendrix'
uhhhh fuck.

PumpkinKing
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby PumpkinKing » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Young Money, or does rap not count?
Image

Thurid
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 pm UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby Thurid » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

U2
Rolling Stones
Lil Wayne
Metallica
You put the 'ass' in mass murder.

sje46
Posts: 4730
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Most Overrated Artists/Songs

Postby sje46 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:08 am UTC

I find it hard to say bands are overrated because I feel like if I feel that way, I simply don't fully understand the context in which it was made, or the music itself. Same with underrated bands too. We just think things at the whims of our prejudice.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests