Pausing music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

enk

Pausing music

Postby enk » Mon May 26, 2008 10:39 am UTC

I was writing in the "Floor tiles" discussion when I came to think of this:

When I listen to music and pause it, I always wait for the next bar line/beginning of next measure before pressing pause. If my music player fades out the sound instead of stopping abruptly, I pause it ahead so the fadeout is done exactly at the bar line.

Does anyone else do this?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

JayDee

Re: Pausing music

Postby JayDee » Mon May 26, 2008 11:28 am UTC

Kinda, although I'm not that fussed about it. Listening to audio dramas at the moment, and on those I make sure to pause between sentences. I'm really starting to get annoyed with the fade out on pause thing.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Mon May 26, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

I don't wait 'til the bar line to pause things - I always fade them out slowly. When I'm really into a song, I can't stand for it to be paused. I'm actually a little crazy about this. Once, in a friend's attic, a bunch of us were just relaxing and talking, but I was just sitting in a recliner, quietly blissing out to Animal Collective's "Banshee Beat" - and it was just about to go into the glorious childreligious 'swimming poooooool' bit - when a friend of mine just pressed stop. JUST. GODDAMN. PRESSED. STOP. (GODDAMN.)
Jesus H. Macy~! At that bit?? I went a little berserk. I vaguely recall making her write me a formal letter of apology and run around the park 5 times as penitence, but to be honest, it's all a little vague from thereon out.

That was last year, and I absolutely have not forgiven her yet. :P

kovan

Postby kovan » Mon May 26, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

I've never really thought about it, but I probably do if for no other reason than because I dj'd drum and bass for a number of years, so that would have gotten it into my head to only do stuff like that when it makes sense musically/mathematically/however you want to think about it.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon May 26, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

I'll usually wait for a break in between verses or sentences. Sometimes, I'll sit in the car and wait for a song to finish before stopping.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Mon May 26, 2008 10:08 pm UTC

I hate simply stopping/pausing a piece of music. I'll always fade out the volume before I press Stop.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue May 27, 2008 12:22 am UTC

Depending on the situation I try to pause the music after one verse, or after a song is over, and before another starts up.

One thing I do find myself doing is when I pause my music for any reason (run to the restroom, go to the County), I find myself still continuing the song in my head from where the pause occurs. Really screws me up when I get back to my desk, and if the time I was away from my desk would have still allowed me to finish off the song when I got back. In my head, I'd hear the last verse or few notes of the song, but then I have to rewind the song in my head to the point where I paused.
PRG

An important message for you:

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Tue May 27, 2008 2:03 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:One thing I do find myself doing is when I pause my music for any reason (run to the restroom, go to the County), I find myself still continuing the song in my head from where the pause occurs. Really screws me up when I get back to my desk, and if the time I was away from my desk would have still allowed me to finish off the song when I got back. In my head, I'd hear the last verse or few notes of the song, but then I have to rewind the song in my head to the point where I paused.

I am also quite guilty of this.

Yeah, I don't like pausing music if I'm really into it, but it's normally not so bad. What really pisses me off is if I'm singing it and someone pauses it - one time I was in my friend's car, and I was kinda leaning against the window singing, and it was really fucking loud so I was singing pretty loud too. I wasn't looking, but he changed the song, so I was caught singing very loudly (I mean, come on, who sings good when they're shouting along with music?). That pissed me off.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 am UTC

I may as well mention here that I absolutely hate it - no, really... I *HATE* it - when I'm listening to a song on either the radio in the car, or sharing an iPod with someone, and they go and change the song right in the middle (or even one minute into) of the current song. SERIOUSLY. STOP IT. I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN'T CONTROL YOUR A.D.D..
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

I make sure I never pause on a suspension or a strong dominant (for you not-as-musically inclined, really big tension spots)... Unresolved chords make me a sad panda.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Tue May 27, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

If I pause a piece of music, it's because there's something else going on that's distracting me enough that I never feel the need to wait for a cadence or fade the music out; I'm too busy doing whatever else is distracting me to even think about the music, which is why it's paused, or I need to have a conversation with something else, so I'm devoting my attention to that.

That said, a media player that did an automatic fade-out when I pause would be really annoying.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

swagar

Postby swagar » Wed May 28, 2008 9:25 am UTC

I don't pay attention to where I pause should I need to. That being said, I'll usually make every effort to not pause, stop, or even fade it at all. For example, if my bladder decides to be full in the middle of an epic 17 minute instrumental, I'm about to experience the longest 8.5 minutes of my life.

Yeah.. that happened.

motophiliac

Postby motophiliac » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:I was just sitting in a recliner, quietly blissing out to Animal Collective's "Banshee Beat" - and it was just about to go into the glorious childreligious 'swimming poooooool' bit - when a friend of mine just pressed stop. JUST. GODDAMN. PRESSED. STOP. (GODDAMN.)

Someone once talked over the first guitar solo in Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.

Why?

No, wait a second and listen to me...

Why?

That first note is worth the album price, almost brings a tear to my eyes every time I hear it. And they just carried on talking.

I typically won't pause music. It's a borderline offensive thing to do to someone's work and at least inconsiderate to anyone who may be listening.

If I'm listening at work (helps me concentrate on my excuse for code) I can just tune out, take off the headphones and come back to it but I rarely pause music. If the phone rings, I leave the room to get it.

If someone is trying to talk over it, I'll turn it down.

Unless they're boring in which case I'll tell them I'm listening to it.

enk

Postby enk » Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 pm UTC

Yeah, it's annoying when people stop/change the music when you're into it. I also experience this while walking around in a mall and just as the song in the background reaches the chorus, they duck it to announce some unimportant bargains... meh.

So, you people who only pause music at specific places, do you unpause, then pause again if you realized you for some reason did it wrong?
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Thu May 29, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

I'd just like to say that i have no problem with pause or stop, where ever i am in a track. I may restart from the begining again, but I never fade out or wait till the end of a phrase.

it might be partly because of the music too which I listen, but prob more the way my brain is wired and the way that i often skip through lots of tracks when looking for samples (where it just wouldn't be effective to do so).

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Thu May 29, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:I'll usually wait for a break in between verses or sentences. Sometimes, I'll sit in the car and wait for a song to finish before stopping.

If I'm going to pause it, I tend to do that. But I don't really pause songs. Its kinda difficult with songs that don't have verse/chorus structures, or are just really long . Do Make Say Think have a 12-minute song called 'Goodbye Enemy Airship', I'm not going to pause anywhere in that because it just sounds too good!
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri May 30, 2008 2:26 am UTC

What up here? I don't have a problem pausing, if I'm going to continue it later anyways.

This mainly because I have no problems with other people; because no one else listens to the stuff that I do anyway, I usually have it on only in my room, or on a headset. What with all their hits and their mainstream and their "popular" music, and nothing else is good because the radio and people on tv never mentioned or played it. Then these people throw on a song just for kicks, that they normally wouldn't, like Sweet Child o' Mine, and suddenly ooh! It's terrific, but nothing else GNR does is good, because it wasn't there!

I find that offensive!

[/rant]
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

a386

Postby a386 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:40 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:I make sure I never pause on a suspension or a strong dominant (for you not-as-musically inclined, really big tension spots)... Unresolved chords make me a sad panda.

i'm totally guilty of this. sometimes friends will shut their cars off and the radio will decide to click off on like a V7 chord and if i'm listening, i'll flip.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 am UTC

The radio station I listen to in the morning as my alarm is a community radio station... ie nonprofit, runs ads but only enough to cover the bills. Tends to avoid falling into the usual commercial radio MO of nonstop rock songs (from a very short list of rock songs), gimmicks aplenty and an obnoxious breakfast show... but also tends to be a bit more amateur (since the hosts are generally volunteers), and a bit less polished.

One of the unpolished things they do is that the hourly news update is always directly on the hour, whatever happens to be going on at the time... and they haven't got the hang of (or don't even bother trying to) arrange the songs so that this is in a break between songs. When that's in the middle of a song (which is most of the time), the "the news is starting" beeps overlay the song, which is then cut off at the start the news. It's a bit jarring, but livable (for me at least... judging by the responses here, I'm guessing some people here might take a different view).

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Kallisti

Postby Kallisti » Fri May 30, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

When I have to pause a good song I try to do it at the most pauseable place possible but I can't fade out. It's too hard, I'd get sad that it was so quiet but never fully let it go. I have to gather my resolve and then just hit pause because that's the only way I can break myself off, and it feels really sucky kind of like waking up. Fading out is awful- it's still there but you know it's going away and you can't stop it. Torture.

If someone pauses a song at a musically unresolved moment, occasionally my head isn't enough and I need to hum/sing a resolution out loud to avoid the nasty shuddering of unresolvedness.

Return to “Music”