Ponyta

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

soccerray

Ponyta

Postby soccerray » Tue May 27, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Ponyta is a new band that happens to have been created by my best friend and his pal.
Shock Mountain wrote:On first listen, I thought they sounded like a noisier Crocodiles. The two members, who just graduated two suburban Cleveland high schools, have some major chops. They’re playing a fuzzy version of poppy noise rock that putts you off-gaurd until subtle hooks knock you the fuck out.

http://www.ponytakicksbutt.com

Give them a listen at the site and if you want you can download their new album for free at TPB.

soccerray

Re: Ponyta

Postby soccerray » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:33 am UTC

Hey, sorry to double post. Just wanted to update this thread now that the band has made some better quality music.

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:38 am UTC

These guys are awesome. You've got to get like some recordings my way these guys are seriously sweet as. I haven't got much to say, I'm in a two piece band myself but of a completely different genre but when I heard two guys produce this I was blown away. It sounds great, and I love the songs.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

Great, now Pitchfork is going to give their debut a good review just in time for the vocalist/guitarist to have a meltdown and start being a prick.

Seriously though, pretty dang good stuff for a band so self-consciously named after a Pokemon. It sounds like the early demos of a band that ends up getting notable in a good way. But their music-playing script on their site sucks something fierce. Can I just get a link to some MP3s? Well, their MySpace works fine I suppose.
Last edited by Clumpy on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Great, now Pitchfork is going to give their debut a good review just in time for the vocalist/guitarist to have a meltdown and start being a prick.

...That sounds like... Wavves?
This sounds kinda like Wavves too, except not as much as Wavves does.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

soccerray

Postby soccerray » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:23 am UTC

Haha thanks! I was nervous posting here thinking that some hardcore critics would reply and insult.

As I said you can get the album p2p from http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4961256

Or you can buy a hard copy from the site... Or just use file2hd.com and take mp3s from the myspace.com/ponytakicksbutt

Perry says they named it Ponyta because it's the worst pokemon there is and the last one to come to mind.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

I loved the band, very interesting stuff, full of energy, grrr.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

I think they'll do better with more pointed stuff like "My God is Awesome." Honestly my attention wandered a little during some of the more cluttered tracks. Is that one of their newer, better tracks you mentioned?

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 am UTC

I like these guys...a lot. I might get around to buying their album. Though it would be nice if they cranked up the vocals a bit in the mix. I can barely hear them with everything else going on. So far, "My God is Awesome" is ddefinitely my favorite.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Return to “Music”