Vinyl

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

socynicalsohip

Re: Vinyl

Postby socynicalsohip » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:37 am UTC

someguy wrote:
What I would love is if CDs disappear from the market and vinyl becomes the normal way to release albums again, and they come with a lossless digital copy of the music as well. Then I could buy the records for collecting and only listen to the digital files. But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

That is actually kind of happening to a degree. A few of the last LPs I bought came with a coupon for a free digital download inside. And with digital downloads eating away at the already-tired CD market, well...

Isn't it great! I bought the Bamboo's LP sidestepper only to find it had the CD tucked in the sleeve aswell. Another example which the majors should look to follow if they are to remain relevent.
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

jacob

Postby jacob » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 am UTC

Growing up, my dad had hundreds of vinyl records he used to play, and when I was in my teens i started collecting them for no other reason than that collecting vinyl was cool. After a while, I realized that most of the records I had are available on cd, and I didn't have a really great hi fi system to hear their analog superior quality, and it's much easier to rip mp3 from a cd than from vinyl, and you can't play them in the car, and doing something just because it's a cool thing to do is very stupid, so i gave them away. I do think it was neat that the used to come with posters and stuff (the cheech and chong record came with rolling papers), but it's really not practical to own vinyl anymore unless you're into it for audiophile reasons and you have a super duper hi fi system, or you're looking for something that was never put out on cd.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:38 pm UTC

I just wanted to add:
I ordered Lucky Dragons' sublime 2006 album Widows on vinyl the other week, and, tucked inside the sleeve, was:
-- the record
-- a CD of the record
-- another CD of additional material, outtakes, live cuts, etc
-- a collection of business cards of interesting looking restaurants and antique shops in the San Francisco bay area
-- a drawing of a bird with metal eyes
-- and a hand-written note thanking me (with many exclamation points) for purchasing their music, and - noticing, I guess, my postal address - letting my know when next they'll be touring in Australia, with the hope that they'll see me there.

:D

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote: :D

Hey, RA, since you were the one that mentioned them above, I've just ordered my first Brian Jonestown on vinyl (and likely my last, at least for a while, as I'm spending way too much on LPs.)

It's We Are the Radio. It sounded almost like a throwaway at first play (MP3) but now I can't get the first two songs out of my head. Now I just have to wait a week or so for it to arrive...
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Just went to the thrift shop, got some:

albums:
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
Genesis: Selling England By The Pound
Pentatonik - Anthology (I have no idea what it is, but it looked interesting)
Original motion picture soundtrack to the Mario movie (because it was funny)

singles:
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince: A touch of Jazz (because it was funny)
50 Cent: In Da Club (because it was funny)
Sugar Hill Gang - Rapper's Delight

plus an EP with mixes of "Happiest Girl" and "Sea of Sin" and three of "World In My Eyes" (by Depeche Mode)

$15 for the lot of them, which is a bit more than I would have hoped but is okay, especially considering what the CDs would cost.

How much do you pay for vinyl?

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

PhatPhungus wrote:Just went to the thrift shop, got some:

albums:
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
Genesis: Selling England By The Pound
Pentatonik - Anthology (I have no idea what it is, but it looked interesting)
Original motion picture soundtrack to the Mario movie (because it was funny)

Nicee.

$15 for the lot of them, which is a bit more than I would have hoped but is okay, especially considering what the CDs would cost.

How much do you pay for vinyl?

I got Genesis Live for my cousin last year and it cost me about 26 bucks D:

In happier news, my grandad gave my dad a pile of his old vinyls, including some Queen and apparently Switched-On Bach :D
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:I got Genesis Live for my cousin last year and it cost me about 26 bucks D:

That's cause you're one of them crazy prog collectors.

Pentatonik - Anthology turned out to be trance. It's pretty good.

someguy

Postby someguy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:In happier news, my grandad gave my dad a pile of his old vinyls, including some Queen and apparently Switched-On Bach :D

S-OB is gooood. It's even more impressive after you read the various articles on Wendy Carlos' site about the technical pitfalls they had to work around, like all their synthesizers being monophonic and going out-of-tune, and having to sync tape machines by hand (I think.)
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Sanman95

Postby Sanman95 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

Vinyl has it's ups and downs, as does CD, so i'd like to take a moment and say what I like and dislike best about each:

CD Favorite things :
~ Are remastered most of the time, resulting in better and louder quality.
~ No crackles
~ Are listenable to in cars
~ With blank CDs, you can make your own "compilation" albums, meaning you can put a bunch of random music onto one CD from your computer, but Vinyl only holds the album it was made for.
~ CDs hold much more time.
~ No "sides", so you don't have to get up every 20 minutes to change sides (i'm lazy, I know LoL).

CD Dislikes:
~ Very small artwork, and if it's an album that was once on Vinyl, gatefold images and back covers are often removed.
~ CDs are much more delicate and won't play with many scratches, whereas Vinyl lasts longer.

Vinyl Favorite Things:
~ Records are fun to watch spin around as they play.
~ Very big, and sometimes interactive, cover art.
~ There's lots of music on Vinyl that you can't even get on CD.
~ I get that feeling of "this is the way the artist intended for me to hear the album" feeling with Vinyl, whereas with CDs, there's Stereo mixes, bonus tracks, etc.

Vinyl Dislikes
~ Vinyl is pretty expensive these days.
~ If there's any dust on the record your playing, or if it's getting old, then you'll hear crackle noises.
~ Record covers can begin to get wear on them, and seam splits, whereas CDs can be stored in "CD Books" and hold many of them.
~ Records usually only have about 17 to 21 minutes of music on them (the longest i've ever seen a side of a record contain in music was 27 minutes).

In general, CDs and Records have their ups and downs. These are mine with each. In my daily life, I tend to use CDs more frequently, bit Vinyl sometimes hits the spot as well.

Return to “Music”