Interweb radio stations / Pandora Thread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Wondrej

Interweb radio stations / Pandora Thread

Postby Wondrej » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:52 am UTC

Do you listen to radios on web? I think its great equivalent if dont like to listen to same songs all the time, or you just want to listen some music that is not reachable by easy way.

My favorite is Nu-jazz / downtempo radio - Lounge-radio.com
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

1337geek

Re: Interweb radio stations

Postby 1337geek » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Yeah, sometimes I'll listen to Internet radio to find stuff I might like but haven't heard before. "I like this genre, let's find some cool new (or old, depending on the genre) bands!" I do that sometimes with power metal. It's also good for testing the waters of an entire genre I haven't heard before. I think I did that when there was a thread on here before about psychobilly.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

wery67564

Postby wery67564 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

soma.fm is probably one of my favorites, there is also pandora ftw...
To exist is to resist.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

I'm a regular listener to WoWRadio, an independently-run station that has about 5-8 shows a week, dealing mostly with World of Warcraft news from the perspective of hardcore raiders, intellectual players interested in backstory as well as general casual players. A few shows a week deal with gaming news in general (mostly Oh me yarm SuperSmashBrosBrawl is awesome), but it's essentially several Americans, one Brit, one Irishman and a Mexican alternating through the week talking about Warcraft, dropping in a "It's over nine-thousand" here and there, while playing Still Alive, Dragonforce, Metallica, then whatever else is on the mp3 player of the show concerned for the night he's playing.
The actual amount of live show air-time is fairly slim, but the wealth of podcasts to listen again to is good, alongside a constant stream of rerun episodes.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm UTC

Pandora for me. I've discovered a fair amount of cool bands there, and the UI is quite nice.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

micco

Postby micco » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

I`m happy with last.fm. I used to listen to pandora, but then they noticed that I`m from finland and banned me.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Whim

Postby Whim » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I often listen to Digitally imported radio. There's usually some cool stuff, if you're into electronic music. Only bad thing is there's ads during the streams if you don't go premium. But it's not that bad a thing.
Tried clicking my avatar?

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Pandora is the way to go.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:42 am UTC

ABC dig jazz!

http://www.abc.net.au/dig/jazz/player/default.htm

So good. No commercials, no talking at all. And good songs too. That link is straight to the player, by the way. (m3u or other ways)
Last edited by Ashbash on Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nevarwinter

Postby Nevarwinter » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:59 pm UTC

puredj.com - very few commercials, unlike Digitally imported radio.

Trance. I find it as essential to work as water is to brewing coffee.

nyeguy

Is there any way to get Pandora to play more obscure music?

Postby nyeguy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:02 am UTC

I keep trying to use it to find new music, but it almost always plays songs from bands I have already heard dozens of times, and thus already have their music or know I don't want it.

The Rumpled Academic

Re: Is there any way to get Pandora to play more obscure music?

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am UTC

There's no way I can think of to get Pandora to play more obscure music, but, for what it's worth, here are a few other ways to discover really good, less well-known music.

Have you ever tried Amazon-hopping? Go to the amazon.com page of an album you really like, look at the "Customers who bought this item also bought" list, pick one (or a couple), and hop around. After 10 or so jumps, you can be landed in a completely different genre to that which you started in, but it can be a really good way to discover musicians you'd never otherwise have heard of.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/ ~ best music review site on the net, in my humble o. Worth reading for the tongue-in-cheek piss-taking alone.

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/ ~ really excellent and creative mp3 blog; occasionally super-pretentious, but always filled with great little finds from all corners of musicland.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:05 am UTC

If you ever plan on looking into metal, go straight to Satan Stole My Teddybear. Great review site, he stopped updating a while ago and oddly enough, started up again recently it seems. I dunno, i only checked last year i think and there were only reviews since around '03, if i remember correctly. but yeah, full of cool stuff.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

tobydickenson

Postby tobydickenson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

Have you tried last.fm?

Their personalised radio stations have a "discovery mode" switch which only plays music which is not already in your profile, which sounds exactly what you want.

If you dont have an account there then you can still find new music by clicking through from the pages of some band you like, then the pages of some users who listen to that band.....

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

the all music guide (AMG) is a very helpful resource when you are looking for something new.

http://www.allmusic.com
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:42 am UTC

tobydickenson wrote:Have you tried last.fm?

Their personalised radio stations have a "discovery mode" switch which only plays music which is not already in your profile, which sounds exactly what you want.

If you dont have an account there then you can still find new music by clicking through from the pages of some band you like, then the pages of some users who listen to that band.....

Thanks for the heads up on discovery mode - I never really used last.fm radio, only for scrobbling and listening to bands I hear from other sources.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

BBCs 1-7.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Semidi

Postby Semidi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 am UTC

If one is into Goth, Industrial, EBM, and Darkwave, Sanctuary is a good choice (http://www.sanctuaryradio.com//). Usually a reasonably good station. It's like I'm at a Goth club when I'm at the computer!
"If you can't imagine how anyone could hold a view you are attacking, you just don't understand it yet."

Vox Imperatoris

Post your Pandora stations!

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Now, I know there are a ton of "What does xkcd listen to" threads, but I thought that if we post links to our Pandora Radio stations, then we can actually share the type of music we listen to instead of specific songs. Plus, it will be much more likely that other people will actually listen to the stations, since they won't have to hunt the songs down individually on YouTube.

So, here's my station. Warning: this station managed to give me both the Macarena and Dragostea Din Tei (Known on the internet as "Numa Numa"). :lol:
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Vox Imperatoris

Re: Post your Pandora stations!

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

Speaking of Pandora, I just found an awesome application called Pandora's Jar that lets you record songs off Pandora, which is apparently legal, just like recording TV shows or radio songs. It's a little annoying to get working, but it's worth it.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Smiling Hobo

Pandora

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Has anyone heard of the site called Pandora? It's described as "online radio that only plays songs you like", and that's a pretty good way of putting it. You type in the name of a song or artist whose music you enjoy, and it creates a "station" that plays music of the same genre...I was a bit skeptical at first, but the majority of the music it plays I enjoy, and a lot of it is by people I hadn't heard of before I used the site to find them, which is cool as it introduces me to new artists.

What are your thoughts on it?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

1337geek

Re: Pandora

Postby 1337geek » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:05 am UTC

How many Pandora threads can we possibly have?

Edit: sorry to sound so harsh, but there really have been several other Pandora threads. Also, the new royalty rates are going to put stations like Pandora out of business, so either enjoy it while you can or do something to help save it.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:11 am UTC

I posted one that died with no replies, but here is my Pandora station. (The link takes me right to the station profile, but I'm not 100% sure it will work for everyone else.)

There's also a utility called Pandora's Jar I found that uses an exploit in Flash 8 to download Pandora songs as they start playing (they make the argument that it is legal in the same way as recording TV shows).

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:46 am UTC

1337geek wrote:How many Pandora threads can we possibly have?

Edit: sorry to sound so harsh, but there really have been several other Pandora threads. Also, the new royalty rates are going to put stations like Pandora out of business, so either enjoy it while you can or do something to help save it.
I did a quick search and I only found one thread about it from a long while ago that nobody had posted in. Rather than revive a dead thread, I thought I'd post a new one...but OK, sorry.

Vox Imperatoris wrote:There's also a utility called Pandora's Jar I found that uses an exploit in Flash 8 to download Pandora songs as they start playing (they make the argument that it is legal in the same way as recording TV shows).
That's an interesting application, though I don't think it's quite the same as recording TV shows...you're already paying Direct-TV or Patriot Media for the channels, but you're just getting music off of Pandora for free.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:
1337geek wrote:How many Pandora threads can we possibly have?
I did a quick search and I only found one thread about it from a long while ago that nobody had posted in. Rather than revive a dead thread, I thought I'd post a new one...but OK, sorry.
The main problem I found in my searching is basically the same reason there wasn't a Good Omens thread in Books - people talk about Pandora like crazy in here, but they do it all over the place. ALL over the place.

Anyway, here's all the mashed together threads that seemed relevant.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: Interweb radio stations / Pandora Thread

Postby Cherry Kiss » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

For those who like Pandora, you should really check out Jango.
Once i found this site I stopped using Pandora.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

So, since I discovered I can get Pandora on my phone, my interest in it has skyrocketed. So now I've got a station I'm training, but so far it's mostly classic rock, 90's era grungealternativewhateverthehellyouwanttocallit, techno, and bluegrass covers.

It's... awesome, really.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:39 am UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:For those who like Pandora, you should really check out Jango.

It's pretty good apart from the all ads, which is one of the two reasons why I never really got into Internet radio. The other reason is that many of them are US-only, like Pandora. I used to use last.fm a lot but their radio has recently become subscription-only outside of the US and I don't feel like paying for it.

The closest thing to Internet radio I listen to are random podcasts like the ones at NPR.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Postby Cherry Kiss » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:20 am UTC

kaniman2 wrote:
Cherry Kiss wrote:For those who like Pandora, you should really check out Jango.

It's pretty good apart from the all ads, which is one of the two reasons why I never really got into Internet radio. The other reason is that many of them are US-only, like Pandora. I used to use last.fm a lot but their radio has recently become subscription-only outside of the US and I don't feel like paying for it.

The closest thing to Internet radio I listen to are random podcasts like the ones at NPR.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't be to familiar with what limitations you meet outside of the us... but since that last post i grew pretty fond of last.fm because they did a good job at playing what you wanted to hear. But, I have come to notice that in listening to a station all day at work, you tend to heard some songs over again. This being if you choose to "love" songs or "dislike" songs. it starts to narrow its selection and try to be a "smart radio". I have noticed that to avoid this I have to stop jumping up and down and getting click happy every time I "love" a song because well, it eventually starts to hinder my station rather than help it.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

featherless

Music Site Recommendations

Postby featherless » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Does anyone here use thesixtyone? I'm obsessed with their rep/hearts system, haha.

Themata

GamersRequest.net

Postby Themata » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

Just letting you all know about GamersRequest radio, as it's fairly unadvertised for the moment. GrQ does 24/7 music streaming and operates as a request radio station. I currently do a 2 hour segment every thursday night at 9PM GMT +10 AEST.

Tune in if youre up for a listen.

http://gamersrequest.net

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:59 am UTC

Does anyone know of a radio thing online like last.fm or pandora (or launchcast in the old days) that is properly usable in Europe?
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:31 am UTC

I use last.fm's recommended radio, it certainly got me into a lot more progressive rock and metal, and is really good at choose songs you want to hear.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

I'm a big fan of Pandora, but lately I've been using playlist.com since you can build whatever station you want to with whatever mp3s the interwebz has to offer.

I'll have to take a look at pandora's jar...

Return to “Music”