Female/Male Duets

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Female/Male Duets

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:12 am UTC

Swear it's not like the other thread!

I think the combination of women and men singing together is a lot more interesting than multiple men (hello boy bands) or multiple women. Not least because they seem to be rarer. So what male/female collaborations are you into right now? One-off songs or permanent duos.

Meatloaf seems to be pretty good at teaming up with women fairly often in songs like I Would Do Anything For Love (with Lorraine Crosby) and It's All Coming Back to Me (with Marion Raven).
Raise up the torch and light the way.

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Re: Female/Male Duets

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:32 am UTC

The Decemberists albums wherein Rachel Blumberg is part of the band have a lot of songs to which she contibutes backing vocals. Speaking of the Decemberists, you can't forget "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)," which is a call and response between a civil war soldier and his lover (wife?) back home. It is absolutely beautiful, as well as very sad. (The soldier is either dead or dying, and sings "When the sun breaks/ To no more bullets in Battle Creek/ Then will you make a grave/for I will be home then)

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 am UTC

Quixotess wrote:I think the combination of women and men singing together is a lot more interesting than multiple men (hello boy bands) or multiple women. Not least because they seem to be rarer. So what male/female collaborations are you into right now? One-off songs or permanent duos.

Are we talking about multiple singers in general, or about duets? I'd've thought male/female duets were more common than male/male or female/female.

Thinking about duets in Opera (and if I'm interesting in the the singing, that'll be what I'm listening to) I find Male / Male duet more interesting, quite probably because I've heard so few. The ones that get the most airtime and male / female (Tenor / Soprano more often than not.)
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:13 am UTC

Multiple singers in general. So A*Teens goes here, heh heh heh.

I wasn't really thinking opera, although if you want to mention, say, Time to Say Goodbye, go for it. True that with opera, or general musicals, you're going to get a lot of True Love duets. Male/Male is often going to be a protagonist and an antagonist singing at odds, because those tend to be male roles Les Mis springs to mind. Female/Female tend to be...well, they'd have to pass the Bechdel test for that. No, that's not true, they could be singing about a dude. Matchmaker, yes?

But in more modern music, or however you describe music that isn't usually part of a staged production, I see musical groups being more one gender, or one gender singing anyway.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:26 am UTC

One off: A Life All Mine by The Gathering.
Anneke Van Giersbergen ( think thats how it's written) + Kristoffer Rygg (of ulver, arcturus, borknagar...)
awwwwesome.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:31 am UTC

Circle Takes the Square is a screamo band that has two lead vocalists, one male, one female. Their voices compliment each other quite well, and the balance is such that neither one could be considered "lead" and the other "backup." Since they're harsh vocals, there isn't much by way of harmony (though it works well when they do it), rather their voices sort of weave around each other. It's the kind of music where you need to listen a few times to make out order from the chaos, but once you've deciphered the rhythms and melodies, it's very intriguing to hear just how they work together, especially since female lead vocals are so rare in the genre. Definitely some of the most intricately written vocal lines I've ever heard.

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:47 am UTC

Peters and Lee.

:lol:

that said any band having the option to use may or female vocals and soesn't use them together....... what a waste

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I don't know about duets, but mixed choir for the win.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue - Where the Wild Roses Grow is also a pretty good one.

Trigger warning on the video.
Last edited by Cathode Ray Sunshine on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Quixotess wrote:Meatloaf seems to be pretty good at teaming up with women fairly often in songs like I Would Do Anything For Love (with Lorraine Crosby) and It's All Coming Back to Me (with Marion Raven).

Funny you should mention Meatloaf. That's who I was thinking of when I saw the thread title before clicking on it. He also did duets with women in "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" (Ellen Foley on record, Karla DeVito on tour) and "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad".
PRG

An important message for you:

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 pm UTC

The Moldy Peaches and Nothing Better by The Postal Service.

Both are amazing.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue doing "Kids" was an interesting one, since the male line often went above the female line...
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

The Beautiful South used to do some wonderful duets - Perfect 10 being a great one. Then there's Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston doing It Takes Two, but I confess I can't really think of many more.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Everyone in this thread who has not said Fairytale of New York should be ashamed.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:42 pm UTC

David Bowie and Anne Lennox singing "Under Pressure" together wins out by the sheer force of them both being awesome.
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss doing a whole album together was pretty awesome, too.

Other, more obscure notable duets:

Jonathan Richman & Jody Ross, the Neighbours
Jens Lekman & Lilian Olsson, Do you remember the riots?
A good proportion of everything the Fiery Furnaces ever did
The Magnetic Fields have done a few duets as well.. I'm thinking of Papa was a Rodeo at the moment

Also, to vote for some duets that should be forgotten, I would like to condemn that entire Tom Jones album to the brink of hell. Tom Jones and Mousse T singing Sex Bomb? No...no thank you, sir.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:
Quixotess wrote:Meatloaf seems to be pretty good at teaming up with women fairly often in songs like I Would Do Anything For Love (with Lorraine Crosby) and It's All Coming Back to Me (with Marion Raven).

Funny you should mention Meatloaf. That's who I was thinking of when I saw the thread title before clicking on it. He also did duets with women in "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" (Ellen Foley on record, Karla DeVito on tour) and "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad".

"Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" is not a duet. "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" and "I'd Do Anything for Love" are great duets, but his version of "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" wasn't that great. The original by Pandora's Box is still the ultimate version. Meat Loaf's duets with Patti Russo are amazing (both on record and on tour).

As for other duets, how about "I've Had the Time of My Life" or "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"? (Speaking of Elton John, I'd also like to throw in "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", but which one is the girl???)
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

'This mess we're in' with PJ Harvey and Thom Yorke is a great duet. They are two of my favourite voices and they go together soooo well. Sum of the parts greater than the whole and all that. It's a shame that they only did one song, and I don't think it is that great a song, or at least wouldn't be if it wasn't for the duet.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

1337geek wrote: "I've Had the Time of My Life"

! Best ending number ever! I'm not ashamed to say I love that song and that movie.

but his version of "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" wasn't that great.

On the other hand, I loved his cover of this, so eh.

cypherspace wrote:The Beautiful South used to do some wonderful duets - Perfect 10 being a great one. Then there's Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston doing It Takes Two, but I confess I can't really think of many more.

Never heard of Beautiful South, but that was really nice. Body acceptance ftw!

When you said "It Takes Two" I thought of the other "It Takes Two," from Into the Woods, which is another lovely duet. Your version is good too though.

Hyena wrote:One off: A Life All Mine by The Gathering.
Anneke Van Giersbergen ( think thats how it's written) + Kristoffer Rygg (of ulver, arcturus, borknagar...)
awwwwesome.

Version I found on Youtube was just the woman singing. She's awfully good, though. I must look into this.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

There are several really great male/female duet (or trio) songs that come to mind. Roughly in order of favorites (in terms of the duet quality, not the song overall);
---------------------
M-Flo, feat. Melody & Ryouhei Yamamoto - Miss You
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vzx2vou_zE - this version even has subtitles)

Aleks Syntek & Ana Torroja - Duele el Amor
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-HT7fHYijU)

Steve Conte & Maaya Sakamoto - Garden of Everything
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvHvxLBf ... re=related - no video, sorry)

Kenza Farah & Sefyu - Lettre du Front (on account of the music video more than the song)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_tKyBbiJNQ)

Zaho & Tunisiano - La Roue Tourne
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjf8q4msYcc)

Tunisiano & Zaho - Citoyen du Monde
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-zgShQ9yQc - no video, sorry)

M-Flo & BoA - The Love Bug
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XIf9XFD8JE)

Cheb Mami & Samira Said - Youm Wara Youm
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwWia9qmC0)
---------------------
Most of the duets I like tend to deal with love, though that's sort of typical of any male/female duets. Although, the three French songs up there are the exception (well, except maybe Lettre du Front). KF
~Kizyr

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Also, to vote for some duets that should be forgotten, I would like to condemn that entire Tom Jones album to the brink of hell. Tom Jones and Mousse T singing Sex Bomb? No...no thank you, sir.

Whaaaaaaat?! That album's superb. Although I agree Sex Bomb is not the height of Tom Jones' artistic legacy. Having forgotten it before, I nominate Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews doing "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Quixotess wrote:
cypherspace wrote:The Beautiful South used to do some wonderful duets - Perfect 10 being a great one. Then there's Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston doing It Takes Two, but I confess I can't really think of many more.

Yes, I thought you might enjoy it!

Amoeba wrote:Everyone in this thread who has not said Fairytale of New York should be ashamed.

God damn, you're right. *is suitably ashamed*

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:03 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
existential_elevator wrote:Also, to vote for some duets that should be forgotten, I would like to condemn that entire Tom Jones album to the brink of hell. Tom Jones and Mousse T singing Sex Bomb? No...no thank you, sir.

Whaaaaaaat?! That album's superb. Although I agree Sex Bomb is not the height of Tom Jones' artistic legacy. Having forgotten it before, I nominate Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews doing "Baby It's Cold Outside"

That was the one good song on there. Though, with foresight, it's largely down to a childhood obsession with Cerys Matthews. The rest of it was not happy-making, on the whole.

Quixotess
No. Cookies.

Postby Quixotess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:32 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Quixotess wrote:

Yes, I thought you might enjoy it!

<.<
>.>
Am I getting predictable here? :mrgreen:

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Amoeba wrote:Everyone in this thread who has not said Fairytale of New York should be ashamed.

I've heard it many times about the same time of year for the last decade. I'm bored of it.

Zombie has some nice harmonies to it, but I don't think it really counts as a duet.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Guy_At_A_Keyboard wrote:The Decemberists albums wherein Rachel Blumberg is part of the band have a lot of songs to which she contibutes backing vocals. Speaking of the Decemberists, you can't forget "Yankee Bayonet (I Will Be Home Then)," which is a call and response between a civil war soldier and his lover (wife?) back home. It is absolutely beautiful, as well as very sad. (The soldier is either dead or dying, and sings "When the sun breaks/ To no more bullets in Battle Creek/ Then will you make a grave/for I will be home then)

This song is stuck in my head approximately 34% of the week.

TheAmazingRando wrote:Circle Takes the Square is a screamo band that has two lead vocalists, one male, one female. Their voices compliment each other quite well, and the balance is such that neither one could be considered "lead" and the other "backup." Since they're harsh vocals, there isn't much by way of harmony (though it works well when they do it), rather their voices sort of weave around each other. It's the kind of music where you need to listen a few times to make out order from the chaos, but once you've deciphered the rhythms and melodies, it's very intriguing to hear just how they work together, especially since female lead vocals are so rare in the genre. Definitely some of the most intricately written vocal lines I've ever heard.

Oh wow, I love this band. I can't wait for their new album.

Mates of State

These guys play incredibly catchy keyboard-driven pop with playfully dueling and sweetly harmonizing male and female vocals. Check them out.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:That was the one good song on there. Though, with foresight, it's largely down to a childhood obsession with Cerys Matthews. The rest of it was not happy-making, on the whole.
I confess to a similar Cerys obsession. But damn, she's worth it.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

While we're on the subject of Cerys Matthews and Tom Jones: The Ballad of Tom Jones, by Space and Cerys Matthews.

Also, Marvin Gaye and Tami Terrell doing You're All I Need to Get By.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Evanescence, and "Set fire to the third bar" by Snowpatrol and Martha Wainwright spring to mind.

I also kind of like "Up where we belong" by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes ... <_< ... >_> ...
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Emu* wrote:
I've heard it many times about the same time of year for the last decade. I'm bored of it.
That's because it's a... wait for it... Christmas Song. Quelle-fuckin'-suprise :shock:

Zombie has some nice harmonies to it, but I don't think it really counts as a duet.
It doesn't, because it isn't.

Also - I Never Talk To Strangers by Tom Waits and Bette Midler.
Under African Skies by Paul Simon and Linda Ronstadt.
Come On Back, Jack by Ray Charles and Nina Simone.
Barcelona by Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe.
Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush. (Why are most of these torch songs? Do I only listen to maudlin music?)
Gone At Last by Paul Simon and Phoebe Snow. (There, that's a bit better!)
[guilty pleasure]Sometimes, Love Just Ain't Enough by Don Henley and Patti Smith.[/guilty pleasure]

Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba recorded a beautiful album called Together in 1975. She's a fantastic South African singer/protest singer/Grammy winner/activist. She sang Under African Skies with Paul Simon at his South African concert in 1987, and he's a legend in anybodies language (Beetlejuice: final scene, anyone?)
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

[offtopic]
davef wrote:
Emu* wrote:
That's because it's a... wait for it... Christmas Song. Quelle-fuckin'-suprise :shock:

Well state the fucking obvious why don't you? :roll: Anyone would think you're just trying to up your postcount... And your band will always be unsigned because it's Yet Another Covers band, so why bother with the myspace?[/offtopic]

Seven Seconds by Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry

Or does that have too much soloing in it for you, assface?

That was unnecessarily harsh. Watch it.

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

You, sir, are a top-class tool.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

I'm...inclined to agree with davef.

Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon. Doing that...song... you know, that that guy did? In prison? Jimmy Dollar or something.

As an aside, isn't Waylon Jennings an understated country musician?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Pirate.Bondage

Postby Pirate.Bondage » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon. Doing that...song... you know, that that guy did? In prison? Jimmy Dollar or something.

They did a REALLY awesome job being Johnny and June. I was really impressed with the whole movie.

As for duets, I'd say almost anything that Johnny and June did together was pretty great. I've only heard a few songs but they're a great combination.
Life is beautiful.
Spoiler:
Irrefutable wrote:you are so lovely

emceng wrote:Then the sausage says, "I have 1 kid, and raging genital herpes." Get the fuck away from me sausage!!!

sje46 wrote:Do... do you want to marry me?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

I second the recommendations on Johnny / Joaquin : June / Reece, and I'm sure I have a few favourite,s but can't remember any for the life of me! Apart from this one, which I remember having seen Dave Chapelle's Block Party recently:

Common and Erykah Badu - "Love of My Life"

Bingo Little

Postby Bingo Little » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:24 pm UTC

Most of Joshua Radin's stuff has a few female backing vocals. And in terms of actual duets, he's done two I'm aware of: Paperweight with Schuyler Fisk is pretty good, and Sky with Ingrid Michaelson is really fantastic.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 pm UTC

90% of songs by Stars are male/female duets. And are AWESOME.

Also, when Damien Rice was at the Orpheum Theatre, and Lisa Hannigan sang the second verse of The Professor. Incredible.

ThomasS

Postby ThomasS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:36 am UTC

"Je t'aime... moi non plus" by Gainsbourg and Birkin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0J7O960ls

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 am UTC

I'm going to have to go with Ayreon for multiple vocalists.

I'll direct you here for a list of Mr. Lucassen's guests. There are over sixty guest vocalists, alone. It's some nice stuff, you should check them out if you have any interest in progressive metal, what so ever.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Memale/Fale Jewets

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Kenny & Dolly doing that Ghetto Superstar song.

Also, I second Time to Say Goodbye, because scientists have recently discovered it's the best song ever.

Also, not sure it would really count, but I love Sean Paul's remix of Blu Cantrell's Breathe. But seeing as they don't actually sing together; it's more him just pronouncing words funny over the top of the track, I doubt it qualifies for duetting. It would open the floodgates for all rappers who sing over female-based tracks.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

ironypoisoning

Postby ironypoisoning » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:21 am UTC

I always kind of liked "The Prayer," with Charlotte Church and Josh Groban, the latter of whom is the hottest singer I know. I'd marry him in a heartbeat. And if anyone has heard the musical "Spring Awakening," there's a song in there called "Don't Do Sadness" which is quite amazing, and simply beautiful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3E-3l8cbSM)

Also, it's more like female backing vocals, but I like the Andrew Bird song "11:11," off the Swimming Hour album. The violins backing up the two voices in the chorus send a thrill up my spine when I listen to it. If anyone wants it, I'd be glad to send it to them.
"Gerry, I'm a woman! We don't say what we WANT! But we reserve the right to get pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating! And not a little bit scary." - Lydia, Sliding Doors (1998)

MysticalChicken

Postby MysticalChicken » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:00 am UTC

I was also going to say the Decemberists' "Yankee Bayonet". That's my favorite track to sing along with on The Crane Wife.

Also, Chitlin' Fooks. It's Carol van Dyk from Bettie Serveert and Pascal Deweze from Sukilove. They sing together on most tracks on the debut CD (I don't have the second one yet). The one that springs to mind immediately that they alternate vocals on is "The Battle." (In fact that's their only video on YouTube.)

Return to “Music”