Proselytize please, my prospective personal Pandoras!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

quintopia

Proselytize please, my prospective personal Pandoras!

Postby quintopia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:02 am UTC

mp3fiesta.com gives out $10 a week in free legal music (and I have yet to see the glimmer of a catch), but you have to use enough of it to bring your balance below $2 by the next week, so it's the perfect program to force me to try out new music. So please make me some recommendations, and I'll play the previews to decide whether I will use my free money on them.

Filters:

What I feel like right now:
20th century art music (orchestral, electronic, ambient, live electronics, instrumental solos, whatever)
Something poppy but not intelligible.
Something that I really should have listened to by now because everyone but me has heard it.
21st century electronic music that has its roots more in musique concrete than techno (like four tet, fatboy slim, recent BT)
Melodic heavy rock with intelligible lyrics (Muse, Nightwish)
Other Swedish not similar to Robyn
Something epic
Something primally beautiful
Intelligent Rap (Aesop Rock)

What I don't feel like right now:
Noise/scream metal
singer/songwriter intimate club stuff
Pop Techno (Tiesto style)
Hip-hop
Anything that someone on American Idol might consider singing.
Someone singing about wearing their heart on their sleeve and having it trod on

Any suggestions will be considered seriously, possibly with my personal reviews if I should decide to download them. And if you are going to suggest an artist I haven't heard of, name the song you consider their best so as to better my chance of having a good opinion.

quintopia

Re: Proselytize please, my prospective personal Pandoras!

Postby quintopia » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 am UTC

michaelandjimi wrote:I am curious about this site. Can you please expand on what you have to do to get music and what the penalties are for not using the $10?

As for your question: I quite like Porcupine Tree, if you haven't heard of them. The song Lazarus comes under the definition of beautiful and you will probably like Shallow and Trains.

So far I've bought $12.74 in music without paying a dime. They didn't ask for my name, address, or credit card info. You just have to click a button on your account balance page every week to get the bonus. The penalty for not using the $10 is that you don't receive the next $10.

Thanks for the recommend. I listened to the three you recommended, because I don't have enough money given me to get them all. I got the radio edits of each because they seemed to be mastered better and have more cool electronic noises. You are correct about Lazarus being "beautiful," but I think I ended up liking the second, "Shallow," better. Perhaps because it was catchier, or because I could follow the lyrics better? I'd have to listen to them a few more times to really get in touch with them. However, if you would recommend a single album to download (of the 20 or so choices) to do so at my convenience, I would be grateful.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

I would suggest In Absentia as a first Porcupine Tree album, as it is my favorite (though the first PT album I heard was Deadwing).

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Based on your filters (melodic heavy rock, epic, beautiful), I would hereby suggest the genre known as Wagnerian rock, created by a songwriter/composer named Jim Steinman. The most famous works of this genre are Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell, parts 1 and 2 (don't get 3), but he has written songs for a very wide range of artists, in case you decide you don't like Meat Loaf (some people do, some people don't).
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:I would suggest In Absentia as a first Porcupine Tree album, as it is my favorite (though the first PT album I heard was Deadwing).
Ooh, seconded, as it is my favorite as well.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:52 am UTC

I have just refilled my balance for a total of $50 they've given me so far, but now I can't think of a single thing I want to download. Is there anyone else out there who feels strongly about their musical opinions?

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:56 am UTC

I feel very strongly about Gentle Giant, a progressive rock band which fuses jazz, blues, rock, medieval and baroque music and 20th century art music. I particularly reccomend the albums Acquiring the taste and Octopus. I could name other bands but nah.

Also Oliver Messiaen's Osieaux Exotiques (or something like that). It's pretty good. I could name other composers but nah.

Wait, yes, Béla Bartók.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:55 am UTC

I take it you mean "Petites Esquisses D'oiseaux?"
Acquiring.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:03 am UTC

quintopia wrote:I take it you mean "Petites Esquisses D'oiseaux?"
Acquiring.

No, actually I was (sort of) right, it's "Oiseaux exotiques". Messiaen had a thing for birds, apparently.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Reading the phrase "primally beautiful", my immediate thought was the song "Winter's Love" by Animal Collective. I thoroughly recommend you give it a listen ~ it's pleasingly different to everything else in the world, and - in my mind, at least - epitomises that phrase perfectly.

In the "songs-you-should-have-listened-to-by-now-because-everyone-else-has" category (I'm totally guessing as to what you have and haven't heard, of course, but); these are essentials:
"Heroin", by the Velvet Underground,
"I Felt Your Shape" by the Microphones,
"Mother" by John Lennon & the Plastic Ono Band,
"Where It's At", by Beck,
"Take Me To The Other Side", by Spacemen 3,
"Tokyo", by the Books,
and "Bushels", by Frog Eyes.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:50 am UTC

Unfortunately when I try signing up for that, it says they have enough users already and shift me over to "mp3panda" which appears to be less generous about giving out music :(

Also it sounds like you like similar stuff to me, so heres stuff I like with some stuff filtered out, with the first good song I think of indicated:
Spoiler:
Top 10 bands:
The Dresden Dolls - Girl anachronism,
Dream Theater - Pull me under, (their only song to get significant radio time, iirc)
JT Bruce - Temporal Distortion, (www.subjectruin.net)
Tool - Vicarious,
A Perfect Circle - The Noose,
Within Temptation - Mother Earth,
Ayreon - Beneath the waves,
Ben Folds - Landed,
Ben Folds Five - One angry dwarf,
Star One, can't remember any specific ones, only 1 album anyway
Lacuna Coil - Our Truth,
Opeth - To bid you farewell,
Joe Satriani - Friends,
Reel Big Fish - Beer,
The Decemberists - 16 Military Wives,
Dethklok - Detharmonic,
Leaves Eyes - Elegy,
Ambeon - Cold Metal,
Yes, I know that isn't ten.

You may already know some of them, hope you find something you like.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Unfortunately when I try signing up for that, it says they have enough users already and shift me over to "mp3panda" which appears to be less generous about giving out music :(

I'm sorry! It makes sense, I guess. . .what with giving away free music, they probably had people signing up with multiple accounts, and bleeding bandwidth and license fees. I'm kind of sad I didn't make more accounts when I had the chance.

Martige

Postby Martige » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Rhapsody of Fire is a nice power metal band. Erm...by scream I assume anything that isn't singing right? Well...(cuts out 80% of library) but if you do want some nice mellodic death metal, go ahead for Children of Bodom, they are 'epic'.
"Thank you for helping us, help you, help us all" - GLaDoS

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:00 am UTC

You said absolutely nothing about ska, so I'm going to go ahead and recommend some:

The Specials: pretty much everything, Ghost Town, Gangsters, Rat Race especially

Madness: a few good songs, One Step Beyond especially

The Selecter: Wasted Words, others

The Skatalites

Desmond Dekker is decent

Return to “Music”