Rock music/Opera singer. Not bloody Nightwish.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Rock music/Opera singer. Not bloody Nightwish.

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Basically, I want it.

What I have in mind when I say it is something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-w5IMYSsBM (Katharine Jenkins/Blue Man Group.)

Does such a thing exist?

1337geek

Re: Rock Opera (Opera Rock?)

Postby 1337geek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:12 pm UTC

Try Sarah Brightman's recent album "Symphony." She's a soprano, in case that makes a difference. Nightwish might work for you, too.

On a similar note, in case you want some operatic rock, Queen, Meat Loaf, and Trans-Siberian Orchestra are great. Not quite the same thing, but they're worth checking out for anyone.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

I have heard all of that before (Other than Symphony, I'll get on that now). I like Nightwish. Queen, Meatloaf etc. are not what I am after. Basically, I want more operatic voices (Like Katharine Jenkins) involved in rock songs. Also, female.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 am UTC

Yeah, check out Symphony -- maybe look up "Fleurs du Mal" on YouTube to see if you like her voice (it starts off strange, but gets stronger). Hayley Westenra has a great operatic voice, but she's more classical pop than rock (more like Celtic Woman). I dunno what else to say. I like operatic rock, but I haven't heard too many examples of opera literally mixing with rock like in that Blue Man video. It's definitely a neat concept.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 am UTC

You might like Magma. Check out their album Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

I'll ask my cousin about another band I seem to remember that had several opera singers,
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

The Who's Tommy is supposed to be a rock opera, so you definitely want Opera Rock.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

nightwish
within temptation
even evenescence heh, are all examples of what they call "symphonic metal"
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

kaleidoughscope

Postby kaleidoughscope » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Simone Simmons from Epica does a good job of creating an opera-ish atmosphere. Similar to Nightwish.

Check out Kamelot's album titled Ghost Opera - might be perfect for what you're looking for.
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:03 pm UTC

kaleidoughscope wrote:Simone Simmons from Epica does a good job of creating an opera-ish atmosphere. Similar to Nightwish.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Epica. I'm sure there are plenty of other symphonic and power metal bands that fit the category as well.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Almost all of what Ayreon does is classified as Rock Opera, but it is also very much not what you are looking for. Still good, though.

That Sarah Brightman album seems good, but not quite that same great stuff like you already posted. I'd put it in the category of stuff like Nightwish really.

However due to the fact that what you are looking for is incredibly awesome, I will be subscribing to this thread incase you find it.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

Yeah, 'Fleurs Du Mal' from Brightman's album is getting close.

And recommending Nightwish style bands is unnecessary, since I listen to them all (Within Temptation, Evanescence, Ayreon etc).

But yeah, I'm not looking for stuff that fits in the category I attempted to make up. I am looking for something that is as close to exactly like that clip as humanly possible.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:But yeah, I'm not looking for stuff that fits in the category I attempted to make up. I am looking for something that is as close to exactly like that clip as humanly possible.

like so? (skip to 2:40 if you can't stand that movie)
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

steewi

Postby steewi » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:53 am UTC

Try this one out for size too: It's Rock Opera - Repo - the Genetic Opera - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1TbiM3dVJhQ. Stick with it. Bonus: Anthony Stewart Head.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:03 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Yeah, 'Fleurs Du Mal' from Brightman's album is getting close.

Well, if you liked Fleurs du Mal, you may like Running as well. I'd have to listen to the whole album again to see if there any other up-tempo ones on there, but there might not be. Several of them are either softer or more operatic pop than rock. It's a good listen anyway. That's about all I've got. Good luck, though. (For the uninitiated, she's the woman from Phantom of the Opera, and she was actually married to Andrew Lloyd Webber for a while.)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Oh, I liked the whole album, was just pointing out that Fleurs du Mal was the closest song.

Also, yes, that part of the Fifth Element is a good example.

Pit

Postby Pit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

Instead of saying "Nightwish" out there (since we all already know they sing songs similar to the clip... well, back when Tarja sang), I suggest listening specifically to Gothic Sanctuary.
The only thing better than bacon is more bacon on it, potentially sprinkled with bacon salt.

Xoco Mint / Pit

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm UTC

THE PROTOMEN.

Megaman theme'd rock opera. Quite awesome.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

How many times do I have to point out that I have ten Nightwish albums? Believe me I have heard their songs.

Also, click that link in the OP, while I go change the thread title.

blakat1313

Re: Rock music/Opera singer. Not bloody Nightwish.

Postby blakat1313 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:57 am UTC

After Forever might be similar to what you're looking for. Ad Sluijter played guitar/growled for them before going to Epica and the two bands have similar sounds.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Last edited by Aethernox on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Flo3:16

Postby Flo3:16 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Buy a bunch of CD`s. Then check the Songwriters. If the Name says: "Jim Steinman" you keep them. :mrgreen:
Religion for Dummys: Taoism= Shit Happens, Hindusm= This Shit happend before, Buddhism= If Shit happens, is it really Shit?, Catholicism= If Shit happens I desrve it, Atheism= No Shit.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:02 am UTC

Flo3:16 wrote:Buy a bunch of CD`s. Then check the Songwriters. If the Name says: "Jim Steinman" you keep them. :mrgreen:

This is a great rule for buying music in general. But he already said that's not what he's after. Although, the "Angels Arise" intro to "Graveyard Shift" actually might fit the category, though it's just piano and voice. Link to free mp3: http://media.jimsteinman.com/audio/Vesp ... dShift.mp3 "Angels Arise" is sung by Emily Pulley and played by Steve Margoshes, "Graveyard Shift" is sung and played by Jim Steinman. This is a demo from the unreleased Batman musical from several years ago, which was to be directed by Tim Burton.

Flo3:16

Postby Flo3:16 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:25 am UTC

1337geek wrote:
Flo3:16 wrote:Buy a bunch of CD`s. Then check the Songwriters. If the Name says: "Jim Steinman" you keep them. :mrgreen:

This is a great rule for buying music in general. But he already said that's not what he's after. Although, the "Angels Arise" intro to "Graveyard Shift" actually might fit the category, though it's just piano and voice. Link to free mp3: http://media.jimsteinman.com/audio/Vesp ... dShift.mp3 "Angels Arise" is sung by Emily Pulley and played by Steve Margoshes, "Graveyard Shift" is sung and played by Jim Steinman. This is a demo from the unreleased Batman musical from several years ago, which was to be directed by Tim Burton.

*Starts to read rest of thread*.....*Silence*....Upps didn`t see that. :oops:
Religion for Dummys: Taoism= Shit Happens, Hindusm= This Shit happend before, Buddhism= If Shit happens, is it really Shit?, Catholicism= If Shit happens I desrve it, Atheism= No Shit.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Everyone seems to be missing slightly what I like about the song I linked to in the OP. It's the second chorus that really hits me and makes me want to hear more like it.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Goth rock tends to have more operatic singers, but I'm not sure you're into that.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Yeah, because I definitely haven't spent a lot of time talking about how much I love goth rock, but that it's not what I am after in this instance.

I hate this forum.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:18 am UTC

I'm sorry? I don't know of anything that fits what you're looking for perfectly, so I suggested DSO, the closest thing In my library; the music may in fact be much closer to metal than the 'rock' showcased in the clip, but it was the best I could come up with.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:24 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Yeah, because I definitely haven't spent a lot of time talking about how much I love goth rock, but that it's not what I am after in this instance.

I hate this forum.

No, you haven't.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:12 am UTC

Yo Jesse.

If I find anything that fits the description, I'll pass it on. SO's little bro [if you're reading this, speak now or forever hold your silence] may well be able to turn something out of the blue, since he officially is the Wizard of Cool. Otherwise, try checking out more Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, in case some of their vocals are more female-lead?

With the Blue Man Group thing, is it more the drum/voice-contrast you like? There might just be some slightly odd Japanese stuff I can recommend you on the back of that.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I just want to say I actually heard the song the OP linked to on the radio this past weekend. But it was the original version from the '70s, of course.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Nina Hagen had some opera training and used it in a few early songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgGSNYentdo

Diamanda Galas mostly does really avant-garde opera, but she did one "rock" album called "The Sporting Life".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AIjnQ8t30

Klaus Nomi isn't what you're looking for, but you just can't talk about opera and popular music without including him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A6IR58Htg

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 am UTC

It's partly the drum/voice contrast. And partly just because I love really powerful voices like that. I don't know precisely.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 pm UTC

Try this?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:07 am UTC

I like them, I remember them from when I was at yours.

I have totally decided what I like is just that voice of hers from the final chorus, and feel the need to have it replicated over a series of songs.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:17 am UTC

i know you may know about them already and maybe this is a little too low key, but how about portishead?
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:24 am UTC

I think everyone in England knows Portishead, and yeah. Too low key for what I'm after here. Part of what I like about the Jenkins video is the whole explosiveness of it.

This thread has rbought up some great music, but I think it is actually a challenge that is doomed to fail.

Lakseninord

Postby Lakseninord » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:50 am UTC

Did the post die? It was great to follow you guys. Some great suggestions here. I had actually forgot about the rock/opera scene from the fifth element, but it's still as good as the first time i heard it.

helkaraxe

Postby helkaraxe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:18 am UTC

If someone is still interested in this kind of rock, I recommend you to lisent the German band called: "Haggard" I'm sure you will enjoy songs like this:
-Aspera ad Astra
-Al inizio e la morte
-herr mannelig
-eppur si muove
-Upon fallen Autumn Leaves

This songs belong to their albums "Eppur si muove(2004)" and "Tales of Ithiria(2008)"
I hope you like it too.
Please if you find another group that make songs like this post it here.

someguy

Postby someguy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:16 am UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:Klaus Nomi isn't what you're looking for, but you just can't talk about opera and popular music without including him...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gma5IUNMTn0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_A6IR58Htg

HA-HAA!

I thought of him right away when I started reading the thread-- I'll give that LP a spin (well, as much of one as I can stand) later today.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

lisaxyz

Postby lisaxyz » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:44 am UTC

What is the best show for watching hard rock music videos on television? I like rock music and wish there was a show out there (other than Headbanger's Ball) where I could see the music videos on tv. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

Return to “Music”