Dingbats

We should have an Animal Collective thread

Postby Dingbats » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Just to start up discussion, here's the cover art for their next album:

cypherspace

Re: We should have an Animal Collective thread

Postby cypherspace » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... popandrock

I love these guys. Looking forward to the new stuff.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Great band. Sung Tongs is my personal favourite of theirs but Strawberry Jam and Feels aren't far behind - I love the almost demented nature of songs like Grass and The Purple Bottle. Can't wait to hear the new album - that cover makes me dizzy though!

Panda Bear's album Person Pitch is pretty good too.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 am UTC

Panda Bear + Boredoms = Animal Collective. I love Animal Collective as well as Panda's solo stuff.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:58 am UTC

SO! Who's heard their new album, Merriweather Post Pavillion?

IT IS AMAZING. It's a perfect mixture of their weird avant garde noodlings and dream-like melodies. I think this album will be a bit of a 'breakthrough' one, as it's instantly accessible.

Hurry up and listen to it so we can talk about it here!
i dare you to take me on...

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:04 am UTC

I think it's a pretty great album, much in the same way that TV on the Radio also followed up a crazier, more cacophonous record with something a little more mellow. It's well-engineered and very good - it probably won't live up to Strawberry Jam but what could? It's like they gave Panda Bear free reign for an album.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I don't want to ruin the experience by listening to a 160 kbit/s leak before it's released, but I'm looking forward to it.

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:34 am UTC

The cover of Strawberry Jam looks better than real life. All i've heard so far is strawberry jam and water curses. Gonna have to get me some more.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

someguy

Postby someguy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 am UTC

Mmh. So, inspired by this thread, I'm checking out Feels. Had never heard any AC before. I do remember -I think- reading about how one of their albums was meant to be played backwards, or had been leaked to the Internet in such a way, and I'd dismissed dismissing them as snooty.

But I like what I'm hearing, so far. It reminds me of a really deranged mixture of Syd Barrett and the Beach Boys, both good in my book. That's the first half. The second half, which has just started, sounds a lot more spacey so far. But pretty.

I could enjoy this :D.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:55 am UTC

someguy wrote:I do remember -I think- reading about how one of their albums was meant to be played backwards, or had been leaked to the Internet in such a way, and I'd dismissed dismissing them as snooty.

No, that's Avey Tare and Kría Brekkan, one of the AC members and his wife. I can agree that's pretty off-putting.

I just got Sung Tongs yesterday, and I have to say it's about as good as Strawberry Jam.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:22 am UTC

merriweather post pavilion is pretty good.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Mmh. So, inspired by this thread, I'm checking out Feels. Had never heard any AC before. I do remember -I think- reading about how one of their albums was meant to be played backwards, or had been leaked to the Internet in such a way, and I'd dismissed dismissing them as snooty.

A lot of people felt like this upon hearing about Avey and Kria's Pullhair Rubeye, and it's understandable. The thing is, those guys are just really... single-minded, when it comes to releasing whatever they want to. They wrote all these acoustic songs and recorded them, and then (just to see what it'd be like) they put 'em all in reverse and messed with the pitch. They really liked how it sounded, so that's what they released. It wasn't a statement, and it didn't require any exclusive action of the listener... they just liked how it sounded.
(Of course (and this is where it gets really interesting), heaps of people re-reversed the songs, and pitch-shifted them in different ways. Avey is on record as saying that he doesn't think there needs to be 'official versions' of songs, and that the weird product of some kid fiddling with the pitch on his computer is just as official and worthwhile for someone to listen to as his versions. In my book, they're the opposite of snooty. :D )

So yeah: Animal Collective are my favourite band. Without doubt, and virtually implacable in that position. When I first heard Sung Tongs back in 2004, it changed my perspective on everything.

Merriweather Post Pavilion, for its part, has entered itself gracefully into what I consider the 'Top Tier' of Animal Collective albums ~ nestling right in the with Feels and Sung Tongs, making it a triplet of dizzying beauty and originality and wonderment -- that I'd be obliged to include in full in any "top 10 albums ever" list I could ever make.
They're getting better and better known now, so I've had to begin to train myself to willfully ignore comments like "yeh, they're pretty good" ~ not in a nasty, elitist way; more in a 'keeping-myself-sane' kind of way. Animal Collective mean more to me than any other band - in my mind, my growth runs parallel to theirs; their triumphs make mine seem possible - and so anybody else's opinion of them... the standard collating of elements liked and disliked from the previously heard into a single one-word label... kind of doesn't have anything to do with the Animal Collective I know.

I'm probably coming across really pretentious... but they're just very important to me. I wouldn't be the person I am today if I hadn't listened to "Banshee Beat" 90 times. My outlook on the world would be unrecognisable if "Winter's Love" hadn't shaken the cynical frosting off me, and left me shivering in the light.

If anyone's reading this thread without having heard them, I thoroughly recommend you check them out. Leaving aside my quasi-spiritual obsession with them (^_^), Panda Bear and Avey Tare are two of the finest and most creative songwriters on the planet, in my opinion, and the magical way their disparate voices and melodic leanings can swim together (probably best displayed on their latest, the aforementioned Merriweather) has been the source of a helluva lot of happiness in my life.
As you go further and further back in their catalogue (a very worthy thing to do), they become more primal and noise-focused, but the real joy to witness is the progression forward ~ forget the words the critics use to describe the radical changes they've made to their sound, Animal Collective's discography charts the evolution of animal to human, and then, with huge grins, and the rhythms we're born with, to what's beyond that. :D

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:42 am UTC

AC is probably one of my favorite bands. I've been listening to the new album a ton lately.

terrordactyl

Postby terrordactyl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:28 pm UTC

Been going through an AC phase for quite some time.

Nothing will ever top Sung Tongs

Sanctuary1

Postby Sanctuary1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:32 pm UTC

I tried them a couple times... Listened to Strawberry Jam a couple times and they just aren't for me. I guess they're one of those bands that I should like but don't.

I'll try them again in a while.
I can most accurately describe Death From Above 1979's genre as "Heavy Indie Alternative Progressive Punkcore Dance Funk Metal"

terrordactyl

Postby terrordactyl » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Sanctuary1 wrote:I tried them a couple times... Listened to Strawberry Jam a couple times and they just aren't for me. I guess they're one of those bands that I should like but don't.

I'll try them again in a while.

Their new album is definitely their most accessible.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm UTC

I guess I may have the strangest opinion of Animal Collective. They have songs that I absolutely love and never get sick of, but they also have songs I absolutely cannot listen to (but don't hate). For instance, there are a lot of songs on Feels that may be some of my favorite songs ever, but there's also a few songs that I never cared for. And with Strawberry Jam I initially loved all of the songs, but now I'm bored with all of them except Winter Wonder Land, which continues to put me in a good mood. The rest of the songs just don't hold my attention anymore.

That said, I love the new album and how it's different from the previous albums I own while still doing a lot of whatever it is they do that I like so much. "Lion in a Coma" "Brother Sport" and "Summertime Clothes" especially stand out as songs I love (especially "Brother Sport"). But I guess I need to wait a year or so and see which songs I'm still in love with before I can accurately assess the album.

But I'm pretty sure my favorite songs by them are the quirky, quick, frenetic, happy-sounding ones. The songs they write that I don't care for are usually the slowest ones with lots of repetition and not a lot going on. Or just a long intro, I'm too impatient for long intros.

Oh, and "Brother Sport" is awesome on Audiosurf. After that intense part in the middle the track practically grinds to a halt, it leaves me with a feeling of sudden relaxation, like after running to get to class on time. It's pretty awesome.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

I've had some time to listen to the new album and as expected it's very good, especially My Girls and Brother Sport. But I don't think it's their best album to date, and I still slightly prefer Sung Tongs and maybe Strawberry Jam. But it's an excellent start for 2009 albums either way.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I keep hearing about Animal Collective, and I feel like I should check them out. For some reason I thought they were kind of like Deerhoof maybe? I seem to remember Deerhoof having AC as top similar artist on last.fm, although they don't anymore. I thought Deerhoof were ok, but I got really bored with them, and for some reason I think the same would happen with AC. Soo... do I try AC or not?

Someone mentioned Boredoms too, they're OK but they're just lacking a bit of kick...

I kind of want to get into AC, but at the same time, I'm kind of... ehh. Am I wrong?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:00 pm UTC

I don't think Animal Collective really sound like Deerhoof, the vocals especially are very different. I think you should have a look at some of the recommendations of where to start with Animal Collective here (and elsewhere maybe) and if you feel like giving them a try do so. If you don't like them, well that's fair enough. But don't worry too much about 'they sound like band X' stuff you may have heard. Animal Collective don't really sound like anyone really.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Animal Collective don't really sound like anyone really.

That's true, and Animal Collective is probably the only band that I honestly can't think of anything that sounds like it.

I got Merriweather last Friday, and I can't stop listening to it. When I'm thinking "well, maybe I should listen to this other album instead?", then I change my mind and put on Merriweather anyway because there's nothing else that can top it!

WOW

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:36 am UTC

First think I listened from Animal Collective was Here Comes the Indian, that sounded pointless as all hell and put me in a "great, this will be another Tangerine Dream in my life -- everyone likes them and I can't see why". Then I listened to Sung Tongs and I think I can see why, now. THAT is really good stuff, and if the rest of their output is good like that, I'll be hooked.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:29 am UTC

Here Comes the Indian and Sung Tongs are almost polar opposite at times in their sound, which may explain the very different reactions. The former was probably the last of the noise-oriented albums Animal Collective did, whilst Sung Tongs was just Panda Bear and Avey Tare, and is the most 'stripped-down' of the band's records. The albums they've done since have been a kind of balance between the two (and are all more accessible than their early albums), though Feels and Merriweather Post Pavilion are more towards the Sung Tongs end of the spectrum. So if you liked Sung Tongs, those might be the two to try next. Or maybe the Prospect Hummer EP they did with Vashti Bunyan.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

I listened through MPP, but I just found it n bit annoying. I probably owe it another listen, but I guess when I hear a band is "dream-like" that means some thing else to me.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:18 am UTC

The only band that I can think of that sounds anything like AC is El Guincho. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJYj_uL ... re=related
Also, I heard AC playing over the speakers in the dining hall during lunch. Awesome.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 am UTC

Narsil wrote:I listened through MPP, but I just found it n bit annoying. I probably owe it another listen, but I guess when I hear a band is "dream-like" that means some thing else to me.
I think it was their earlier albums that were dream-like. Here's their last.fm page. Try "The Purple Bottle" and "Did you see the Words." And I think Water Curses is pretty dream-like (just the song, not the video).

ParanoidAndroid wrote:The only band that I can think of that sounds anything like AC is El Guincho.
Oh yeah, I heard about them but I couldn't find a reputable source for their album at the time. Although by now it's on Amazon. Thanks for reminding me!
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:27 am UTC

Yeah, that's how I discovered El Guincho, similarity to AC at last.fm.

Smokestack_Lightning

Postby Smokestack_Lightning » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:19 am UTC

To be honest, I found MPP quite lacking compared to some of their other works. To me, the whole album sounds much more like Panda Bear's solo work that what I have come to expect from AC, and I really wasn't a fan of Person Pitch. I understand the whole dreamlike approach using droning samples and heavy processing of voices, but it just comes off as monotone to me. The drone of Fireworks, the primal screams in For Reverend Green, and the swirling sounds of Visiting Friends just seem to work much better than most of this album.

Still enjoy it, just not my favorite thing in the world.

Return to “Music”