iPod Alernative

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mountaingoat

iPod Alernative

Postby mountaingoat » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:37 am UTC

My iPod was stolen today, so I'll be needing a replacement soon.

The classics are pretty cheap now, but I'd really like something rugged and open source...

Am I shit out of luck?

wakingrufus

Re: iPod Alernative

Postby wakingrufus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:37 am UTC

i love my iaudio 7
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/7/
the firmware is not open source, but it does support OGG and FLAC.
16GB flash based for about 150.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Depends precisely what you're looking for. My phone (Sony Ericsson W300i) is, for me, a great alternative to an iPhone - it doesn't do everything the iPhone does, but the missing features are largely ones I would never use, and it's considerably cheaper. And better-looking.

As a general thing I will recommend the Sony range, Walkmen and Walkman Phones - generally pretty well-priced, very reliable and high-quality etc. But basically, it's a horses-for-courses thing - without more info as to what you want from it, it's hard to recommend one.

It's unlikely that I would recommend any of the iThings though. Generally overpriced, use proprietary filetypes that make my life difficult, make you look like a yuppie sheeple (what the hell would the singular of that be? Sheerson doesn't really work) et cetera.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:37 am UTC

Sansa e200 series? They only go up to 8gb, but if you get a v1 or a Rhapsody version, then you can install Rockbox on it, which can do all sorts of wonderful things.

Haistfu

Postby Haistfu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Sansa's are awesome!

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:15 am UTC

I've been using a 30GB Zen for the last 3-4 years (rugged little thing!) and only ever had problems when my ignorance botched a firmware update. Not sure if they still make them though.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 am UTC

Oh yeah, I forgot about that - I had a 6GB Zen Neeon before my current one, that was reasonably good - fantastic sound quality. Once it got very full, though, it would occasionally freeze and you'd have to do a hard reset to get it to work again (which was a pain in the ass if you were ever away from home at the time) so if you get one, invest in a paperclip to keep in your wallet. I still use mine as a drive to cart shit between my two computers to this day, though.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:32 pm UTC

I have a 16gb Zen. About $200, all flash memory. It's outlasted five or six pairs of headphones(I don't know what I do to them), and many tough falls. They have a 32gb flash for sale as well depending on how much room you need. So its rugged, as for open source, I don't think so. It does play mp3s and many other formats if that's what you're looking for though.
The fact is, knife fights are a big part of being an adult. - The Slant

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:25 pm UTC

I didn't know they made flash MP3 players with that much storage space already, what a pleasant surprise. I've been hoping I wouldn't need to buy another HDD based player if my current one breaks, so this is good news.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

you could run RockBox on an iP-odd
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Adalwolf

Postby Adalwolf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

sean22190 wrote:My iPod was stolen today, so I'll be needing a replacement soon.

The classics are pretty cheap now, but I'd really like something rugged and open source...

Am I shit out of luck?

How 'bout you just get a cd player until you get a new ipod?
Live with passion. Die with passion.

tobydickenson

Postby tobydickenson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:48 am UTC

If "open source" refers to its embedded software then I believe rockbox is the only option (right?), but that will run on quite a variety of current and older hardware.

Or if you mean you need a device that plays well with your open source desktop without having to install any proprietary software, look out for anything that support "usb mass storage". wakingrufus mentioned the iaudio range, which I also recommend..... my 2 year old iaudio U2 is small, rugged, with great battery life and excellent audio quality.

v1ND

Postby v1ND » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Does Linux count as open source?

http://ipodlinux.org/wiki/Main_Page

Nothing special as far as playing music and otherwise doing what it's supposed to but you can play doom and duckhunt on your freakin iPod.

ZLVT

Postby ZLVT » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:32 am UTC

wakingrufus wrote:i love my iaudio 7
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/iaudio/7/
the firmware is not open source, but it does support OGG and FLAC.
16GB flash based for about 150.

I use an iAudio U5 (8GB version)
Alas, it doesnt; seem to support mp4 ogg or anythign other than pretty much mp3 and wma. In spite of the coloured screen I don't think it can play movies. It does have the occasional technical issue but as far as ti goes per se, the mp3 can take quite a beating (read, a LOT of punishment) and is reliable. It doesn't have too many features (music, radio, record, and some nice menu features) and in spite of the occasional tech issue and the lack of suport for diacritic letters and less used formats, it's surprisingly reliable and durable. I am quite pleased with it.
22/♂/hetero/atheist/★☭/Image

Originator of the DIY ASL tags

Return to “Music”