Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jackpot

Music you think the opposite sex won't listen to

Postby Jackpot » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

I'm a dude, and I don't think women will listen to the following :

Glitch music
Mathcore
Avant garde noise
Hardcore rap (some angry teenager in his room ranting)
Doom metal
Ambient noise

What do you think the other sex will never listen to? Disprove each other.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!

Re: Music you think the opposite sex won't listen to

Postby Cherry Kiss » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Hey I'm a girl and I listen to mathcore. AS far as glitch music, meh, you should try nintendocore (mostly Sky Eats Airplane). If by avant-garde noise you mean metal then yeah I listen to that too, and for doom metal, it's ok, but I'm kinda picky. Though I hate hate hate anything ambient. Gah!!! But I'm pretty sure that I'm one of ten females who does listen to this stuff.

Some things that I think are rather girl-like music:
Corey Smith (or rather most but not all acoustic music)

And yeah thats all I can think of right now.
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Humans with boobs aren't into prog (except for very rare cases), it's actually sort of a joke like "no gurlz in da interwebz"
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Cherry Kiss

Postby Cherry Kiss » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

What exactly do you mean by "prog"?
And end up on your own.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:If by avant-garde noise you mean metal...
There is such a thing as avant-garde metal (see my avatar), but most metal is not avant-garde in any way.

One of my favorite avant-garde artists, Mia Matsumiya (Kayo Dot, Tartar Lamb), is female.
One of my favorite drone-doom bands (Thorr's Hammer, very slow, very heavy) had a female lead singer.
If by Mathcore you mean bands like Botch, I don't think I've ever met a girl who likes it. However, math rock bands like Minus the Bear (which has the guitarist from Botch) have plenty of female fans.
I know a girl who likes ambient noise music, and at least tolerates much harsher noise music.

Cherry Kiss

Postby Cherry Kiss » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

Well I know that obviously not every metal band is avant garde. I was asking if he was referring to a branch of metal, because of course there are 912723645785 branches of metal.

And yes, botch is good, I like them along with:
As the Sun Sets, Between the Buried and Me, Blood Has Been Shed, Converge, Creation Is Crucifixion, Curl Up and Die, Daughters, The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Fall of Troy, Fear Before the March of Flames, Five Star Prison Cell, Genghis Tron, Head Wound City, Heavy Heavy Low Low, The Human Abstract, Misery Signals, Norma Jean, The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Protest the Hero, PsyOpus, SikTh, Textures

...Just to name a few, tehehe
And end up on your own.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:Humans with boobs aren't into prog (except for very rare cases), it's actually sort of a joke like "no gurlz in da interwebz"

I've noted this trend; however, I've met very few men who like prog, as well.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:what exactly do you mean by "prog"?

Progressive rock. As in King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, etc

I don't know about "progressive metal", though
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:I don't know about "progressive metal", though

Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, some Porcupine Tree, and Ayreon are commonly classified as progressive metal.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:
Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, some Porcupine Tree, and Ayreon are commonly classified as progressive metal.

I know, what I meant is that I don't know if the chix listen to it. Also I disagree with that classification, there is not a lot of progress in prog metal, imo.
-Ambrose Bierce

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Opeth can get pretty progressive at times, their new album especially (it isn't their best, but probably the closest to prog rock). They have a lot of fans who probably wouldn't like prog rock, though, just because a lot of their music is straightforward (and, in my opinion, incredible) melodic death metal.
Porcupine Tree, on the other hand, isn't really metal most of the time, and seems much more inline with prog rock to me, especially considering how incredibly well versed Steven Wilson is in it. Even if it isn't strictly prog, it's definitely coming from the same musical tradition.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

I think this thread is dumb because broad, sweeping generalizations are silly.

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

I don't know about "girls" in general, but one day I'll have to play The Pixies for my girlfriend. It's called "The Test". I'm not looking forward to it, because if she fails we'll have to go our separate ways. And in return she will make me watch "Smallville".

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 pm UTC

Hmm I fall somewhere outside the categories mentioned (though I suppose there hasn't been an extensive discussion of what classifies female musical tastes).

I like new wave, punk--from the 70s, really old calypso, pre-war jazz and ragtime, early rock and motown, some rap--usually from the mid-late 80s.

I don't like metal or ambient, I tolerate some prog rock, I like tool.

Where is it that the distinction lies? I like good rhythm and melody--I like harmony in vocals--I don't like heavy distortion much--I don't like screechy or grating vocals*--I like clear vocals---I like quirky or old timey lyrics.

I do like the Pixies, but I like Ella Fitzgerald more.

*I make exceptions for punk
Rice Puddin.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:stuff

I guess it depends on what you call progressive. To me, prog rock is just innovative music, not music in 17/16.

To be honest I haven't listened to a lot of PT or Opeth but from what I've heard it seems they just make unconventional music that isn't terribly original, which is perfectly fine by the way.

Edit: that video is hilarious, too.
-Ambrose Bierce

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 am UTC

I try to just avoid all the complications with the term and use "prog" to refer specifically to the experimental music that flourished in the 1970s. If it's new, I'll probably just call it "experimental" and leave it at that.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:37 am UTC

I like more of 1970s prog rock than anything classified as it since then--though I can't say I seek it out much. Generally someone says "hey listen to this!" Or it plays on oldies radio--which I listen to whenever I can get AM. :P
Rice Puddin.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:24 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:I try to just avoid all the complications with the term and use "prog" to refer specifically to the experimental music that flourished in the 1970s. If it's new, I'll probably just call it "experimental" and leave it at that.

That's probably a good idea.
-Ambrose Bierce

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:20 am UTC

i find it hard to believe that a straight male musician would continue making music in the genre of his choice if he thought that all his shows would be sausage fests. there's always a girl/lady/woman person who will love and adore the crazy artist no matter what he's doing.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 am UTC

How about the other direction, then? I think female singers would continue to make music if they thought no guys were big fans.

I know of a grand total of one guy who listens to folk or pop-folk.
I used to have an entire playlist that I considered essentially "female alternative." Stuff like Tori Amos, Loreena McKennitt, Ani DiFranco, etc. I know several guys who like Tori, but I'm not sure I know any who like Ani.

Also, just personal anecdote - I have a friend who thought he had vastly different taste in music than I do/did. We had a sort of song-off, wherein he threw bunches of stuff at me, and dared me to like any of it, basically. In there was doom metal, pschyedelic rock, some stuff I think would fit under ambient noise... and several flavours of prog rock. I got through everything either enjoying it or ambivalent until he got to Gentle Giant. Two Weeks in Spain made me want to bang my head into a wall. On the plus side, boy do I enjoy that Fields of the Nephilim stuff he gave me.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Zak

Postby Zak » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 am UTC

Power metal. It's almost too rediculous for me to listen to, I can't even imagine how most girls I know would react...
*waggles eyebrows*

keith hic

Postby keith hic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:20 am UTC

sweeping generalisations can be so funny, esp when some one that breaks the rules comes along unexpected.

(like my wife did on theVVM Test records forum).

She introduced me to breakcore (a predominatly male genre).
glitch, noise and simular are all in her listening range. and our daughters are a bit partial to making the odd noise and glitched electronic tracks (see here: http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/dvr028).

But on a proving the rule this: http://digitalvomit.wikidot.com/dvr033 is a girl free noise zone (I pretty sure)

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:Power metal. It's almost too rediculous for me to listen to, I can't even imagine how most girls I know would react...

I agree pretty much all of it is ridiculous, but personally I love it. My roommate from my senior year in college liked it, too, so there's a sample of two.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:
Z.A.K wrote:Power metal. It's almost too rediculous for me to listen to, I can't even imagine how most girls I know would react...

I agree pretty much all of it is ridiculous, but personally I love it. My roommate from my senior year in college liked it, too, so there's a sample of two.

It's intentionally ridiculous. That's what makes it so awesome.

Luca Turilli's Virtual Odyssey trilogy Part 1: King of the Nordic Twilight FOR THE WIN

I am not a girl.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:i find it hard to believe that a straight male musician would continue making music in the genre of his choice if he thought that all his shows would be sausage fests. there's always a girl/lady/woman person who will love and adore the crazy artist no matter what he's doing.

upon further examination, i find my own comment to be douchey and wrong. as a music artist, i really don't care who comes to my shows as long as someone is there enjoying the music/noise.

also, this thread is silly.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 am UTC

Most of it is silly. Though I would like to know about the social implications of gendered music--does society make people like or dislike varieties of music because they are male or female? That's a sort of interesting question.
Rice Puddin.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Explenation of the creation of this thread :

I had a thought that the majority of listeners for the aformentioned genres were mostly my gender. I wanted to see what women though as the opposite to this. I wanted to get other men's opinions on what they think women would listen to.

It's about making assumptions from what you have witnessed, and genuine people disproving these shortcomings, and providing shortcomings of their own.

BTW : I think women would listen to prog.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

I don't see how any of this involves shortcomings on anyone's part. Not liking a particular genre of music isn't necessarily a shortcoming--I really don't like metal much, I don't feel I'm missing out on much due to it.

I'm more curious to know what cultural impacts affect the choices we make in music based on gender, orientation and even race. It's pretty interesting, for instance, to hear how guys describe music they like. Are there particular aspects they prefer that women do not (and vice versa).
Rice Puddin.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:19 pm UTC

i was pondering this earlier today, and i think i came to the conclusion that in my area (northeast suburbia) i find that more women are open to listening to country music than men are.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

My dad loves (or proports to love) Country music and is fond of saying: "There's only two types of music: Country and Western." It's hard to tell with my dad though, he also likes 60s rock. I don't know if he likes typical dad music (like 70s rock, but he doesn't listen to it much.)

Part of me thinks he likes country just cuz it makes the rest of us groan and ask him to change the station.
Rice Puddin.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

I don't think women would listen to a genre that demeans them constantly, i.e. calls them whores or any derivatives thereof.

Oh, wait.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

You're being very broad in your definition here, I really don't enjoy being lumped in here. Furthermore there is no consideration made for the reasons behind any of it. Perhaps that the pervasive defined idea of feminity is tied up in warped conflicting images of females as whores or virgins? Hmmm.
Rice Puddin.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 pm UTC

i think the idea behind Aethernox's post is that he/she does not understand why women would want to listen to music that demeans them constantly (ie. certain hiphop/rap artists, certain rock artists). the post was presented somewhere in the realm of sarcasm. i eat bagels for breakfast often.

edit:

ps. some women know how they're viewed, and that is why they listen to that music :wink:

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

I still think the post is way too generalized. Some women listen to music that is degrading to women--though what genre of music doesn't contain systematic sleights on women? Maybe Ambient--but don't quote me cuz perhaps someone out there is writing a thesis on the patriarchal elements apparent in ambient.
Rice Puddin.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:i think the idea behind Aethernox's post is that he does not understand why women would want to listen to music that demeans them constantly (ie. certain hiphop/rap artists, certain rock artists). the post was presented somewhere in the realm of sarcasm. i eat bagels for breakfast often.

This is accurate.
With cream cheese? If so, what flavor?

I don't quite follow you, Rinsaikeru. Could you clarify? You seem to be suggesting that all music (perhaps with the exception of ambient) degrades women, and I don't agree.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

Sandry wrote: I got through everything either enjoying it or ambivalent until he got to Gentle Giant. Two Weeks in Spain made me want to bang my head into a wall.

Awww, but that's like their worst song! Check out Proclamation or Funny Ways or The advent of Panurge.
-Ambrose Bierce

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 pm UTC

Sandry wrote:I know of a grand total of one guy who listens to folk or pop-folk.

well, now you can make it two.

I really can't say that I think there is a genre of music that women won't listen to. Mainly because my best friend is a girl and listens to everything and even introduced me to Cake, as well as Nirvana. Yes.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Zak

Postby Zak » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:03 am UTC

kinigget wrote:
Sandry wrote:I know of a grand total of one guy who listens to folk or pop-folk.

well, now you can make it two.

I really can't say that I think there is a genre of music that women won't listen to. Mainly because my best friend is a girl and listens to everything and even introduced me to Cake, as well as Nirvana. Yes.

Make that three.

And Cake is win on multiple levels.
*waggles eyebrows*

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:06 am UTC

Not necessarily Aethernox,

But I bet I can find you at least a couple songs in every genre that are (and of course counter-examples). What I don't follow is the point of suggesting that 'women' in general listen to music that specifically subjugates women.
Rice Puddin.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:14 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Not necessarily Aethernox,

But I bet I can find you at least a couple songs in every genre that are (and of course counter-examples). What I don't follow is the point of suggesting that 'women' in general listen to music that specifically subjugates women.

Oh. I believe I understand; you have me mistaken. Rather than meaning that all women listen to such music, I meant that, in my opinion, logically, a hypothetical woman would not listen to music that lyrically degrades women in general. This was phrased sarcastically, as a good deal of the women I've encountered in my age group do, in fact, listen to such music. I'm sorry if I've offended, as that was never my intention.

Return to “Music”