Music you think the opposite sex won't listen to

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

keith hic

Re: Music you think the opposite sex won't listen to

Postby keith hic » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:01 pm UTC

Z.A.K wrote:
kinigget wrote:And Cake is win on multiple levels.

this means i must say :
I don't like Cake
but, Cake Like I do.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

I see lots of youth where I work that listen to music that's really misogynist (both male and female kids) it's all over the pop charts too. And you can see how pervasive it is just by looking at music videos.

But then I support absolutely crappy pop music; eventually actual musicians will get so sick of it there will be a glorious musical renaissance, the likes of which have never been seen.

A girl can hope.
Rice Puddin.

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:14 pm UTC

And I will be hoping with you. I don't honestly see why anyone listens to mainstream rap, note the use of the term "mainstream" because it really rather is what people have been describing, if you're going to listen to rap/hip-hop, please find something like US3. Cantaloop is such a good song.

I'm sorry, did I lose sight of the topic in there somewhere?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:30 pm UTC

ChocloManx wrote:
Sandry wrote: I got through everything either enjoying it or ambivalent until he got to Gentle Giant. Two Weeks in Spain made me want to bang my head into a wall.

Awww, but that's like their worst song! Check out Proclamation or Funny Ways or The advent of Panurge.

I did check out Proclamation and Funny Ways, and both are certainly better than Two Weeks in Spain, but I'm pretty sure they're just not a group I'd particularly like, generally speaking. When I want to listen to odd rhythm in non-classical music, I usually pick something less dissonant. When listening to something dissonant, I usually pick classical. *shrug*
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:40 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Furthermore there is no consideration made for the reasons behind any of it.

Ahem. Let me explain. Recent research has shown that the thymorockulum (also known as the music glands) are located in the breasts, and that the primary organ of sonic appreciation is not the ears, as previously thought, but the nipples. This revelation should make it immediately obvious why there should be sex-related differences in music taste. Furthermore, experimental results suggest that manually twerking a listeners nipples can have a significant effect on his or her appreciation of music. As a simple test, find a few songs by the same artist and a friend who hasn't heard them. While listening to some of the songs, administer a "pinch and twist" to your friend's nipples and while listening to others, gently lick the same region. You should find that your friend's subjective appreciation of the songs heard while being licked is much more favorable than the ones heard while being pinched, even though the songs are objectively very similar. This effect does not seem to be limited to either gender.

I hope this clears things up.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:
Rinsaikeru wrote:Furthermore there is no consideration made for the reasons behind any of it.

Ahem. Let me explain. Recent research has shown that the thymorockulum (also known as the music glands) are located in the breasts, and that the primary organ of sonic appreciation is not the ears, as previously thought, but the nipples. This revelation should make it immediately obvious why there should be sex-related differences in music taste. Furthermore, experimental results suggest that manually twerking a listeners nipples can have a significant effect on his or her appreciation of music. As a simple test, find a few songs by the same artist and a friend who hasn't heard them. While listening to some of the songs, administer a "pinch and twist" to your friend's nipples and while listening to others, gently lick the same region. You should find that your friend's subjective appreciation of the songs heard while being licked is much more favorable than the ones heard while being pinched, even though the songs are objectively very similar. This effect does not seem to be limited to either gender.

I hope this clears things up.

This is a good post and with an awesome sample size of one, I can verify this to be true. If you are ever bored one day with a friend, you should try this out. (rofl rofl rofl)

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

excuse me what?

I would listen to everything the OP stated if it was good except hardcore rap which I find mostly just offensive and irritating. What the hell does being female have to do with what I like?

My playlist includes: power metal, regular metal, symphonic metal, "steampunk", nerdcore, world music, videogame soundtracks (lots of these; from Riven to Kingdom Hearts to Portal to Planescape: Torment to Ragnarok Online), extremely geeky film soundtracks (I am talking shit like Hitchhikers Guide, Algerian rock, world music, new age music, celtic music, pop, electronica, heavy metal...
I can't fucking stand shit like Brittany Spears or Miley Cyrus or whatever.

Oddly I've met a lot of men who hate everything the OP has mentioned and love to listen to new age music and pop. I have met men who love High School Musical. Who are not gay.

I declare the argument posited by the OP to be fallacious with little to no evidence or backup. Not to mention sexist.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:05 pm UTC

Not to mention the pinch and twist stuff most recently posited.

It's pretty under-researched altogether. The idea of gender and music is going somewhere, because there are social conditions that affect it. This case doesn't really seem to be about opposite genders though--it seems to be about "stuff girls won't listen do because girls don't like good music."

Though--this forum is full of girls who do in fact like good music, probably music more awesome than what the guys are listening to. :P
Rice Puddin.

Jackpot

Postby Jackpot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:55 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:I declare the argument posited by the OP to be fallacious with little to no evidence or backup. Not to mention sexist.

women engineers exist. I'll be damned if I can be in the same room as them.

This isn't a srs bsnz topic. please stop treating it like one.
Even though I walk through the valley of the humourless nerds, I fear no evil, for escape and perspective is with me; my experience and love, they comfort me.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:37 pm UTC

Jackpot wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I declare the argument posited by the OP to be fallacious with little to no evidence or backup. Not to mention sexist.

women engineers exist. I'll be damned if I can be in the same room as them.

Aaah, well that explains everything. Our dear friend Jackpot has had some sort of Gypsy curse placed on him that will consign his immortal soul to a pit of fiery torment if he hangs out with women. That must be very difficult to handle. I feel for you.

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce the creation of the Save Jackpot's Sould fund. We'll be collecting donations all week folks. Dig deep in your hearts and find it in you to give money to help this poor man out. I think our first goal should be four hundred bucks to pay this guy I know to take him into the swamp. There's a dude there with a magic snake.

Jackpot wrote:This isn't a srs bsnz topic. please stop treating it like one.

Just because you seem to be okay with being a sexist ass doesn't mean we shouldn't call you on it. Or mock you. Whatever.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.

~ George Orwell

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

So, we're not allowed to take a topic seriously unless you post it in SB? Interesting.
Rice Puddin.

Return to “Music”