Music recommendations from the younger generation

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mishiesings

Music recommendations from the younger generation

Postby mishiesings » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

I'm 19, and I sing in the band Broadway (http://www.myspace.com/broadwayfl). I've seen music recommendations on this forum, and most seem limited to mainstream contemporary. So I thought I'd offer some band or artist that you may not have heard due to the underground nature of the music. Not underground in the sense that nobody knows about it, because that often tends to just be crap, but underground as is in not everybody knows about it.

I'll classify each band genre specific, but also by my own recommendation. That way, if it's a band that isn't really the genre you like, but I highly recommend it, you might at least check them out. The stars are ranked from 1 - 5. The SPECIAL recommendations will have 10 stars.

I encourage everyone to post a similar list

Indie/Easy listening -

The Sound Of Animals Fighting - ***** (They are very weird, pre-warning)
Circa Survive - **********
Copeland - ****
The Early November - *****
Brand New - ***
Acceptance - ***
Anberlin - ***
The Almost - ****
Bayside - **********
Head Automatica - ****
The Postal Service - ****
Saves The Day - ****
The Starting Line - *****
Four Year Strong - **********

Hardcore/Screamo

The Used - *****
Underoath - **********
Thrice - ****
Story Of The Year - ****
Scary Kids Scaring KIds - ***
Protest The Hero - *****
Oceana - ***
Our Last Night - ****
Memphis May Fire - ****
Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster - *****
He Is Legend - *****
A Day To Remember - ****
Dance Gavin Dance - **********
Glassjaw - ****
The Devil Wears Prada - **********
Catherine - ***
A Plea For Purging - ***
A Skylit Drive - ****
Before Their Eyes - ***
Burden Of A Day - ***
Chasing Victory - ****
As Cities Burn - ****
Emanuel - ***
Escape The Fate - ****
The Fall Of Troy - *****
The Sleeping - ***

And last but not least - METAL

As Blood Runs Black - ****
August Burns Red - *****
Between The Buried And Me - **********
Stick To Your Guns - ****
The Number Twelve Look s Like You - ****
Norma Jean - ***
Job For A Cowboy - ***
As I Lay Dying - ****
The Human Abstract - ****
Haste The Day - ***
Bring Me The Horizon - **********
Born Of Osiris - **********

No live links until you have five posts. Please read the Rules threads. - Hammer
Last edited by Hammer on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Live link removed

Wardial3r

Re: Music recommendations from the younger generation

Postby Wardial3r » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

mishiesings wrote:

Copeland - ****
Brand New - ***
Anberlin - ***
Escape The Fate - ****

All of those bands are immensely awesome.
Circa survive took some listening to get into.
I've falled asleep to copeland's "beneath medicine tree" wayyy too many times to count.
Brand New is completely amazing. (Listen to "Quiet things that noone ever knows" "70 Times 7""Jude law and a semester abroad"
Anberlin is pretty awesome. Great lyrics, Stephen has a really unusual voice and it's rather catchy, and all the parts are pretty tight.
Postal Service - awesome. It would be even better if Ben Gibbard didn't always sound like someone punched him in the stomach. I love it anyways
Escape the fate's new album blows, but when they had Ronnie singing was kickin rad.
Listen to "Not good enough for the truth in cliche" " the day i left the womb" "makeup"
Bring me the horizon was awesome. I had the chance of seeing them and are one of the few more hardcore bands that i actually like.

More of a poppy feel here.

Boys Like Girls
All Time Low
The Wombats
Single File

Hyper Crush is awesome and i just found out about them as they opened for Medic Droid.. ( medic droid sucked anyways)

kings of leon
say hi (to your mom)
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

... if the recommendations here are contemporary mainstream, I'm even more out of touch than what I thought I was.

Also, one of the reasons I like the Recommend One Artist thread is - it requires an explaination as to why you're recommending X. What it is X brings to the table, what it is X does differently or how X doesn't innovate in and of itself, just puts it together in such a way that even songs you've never heard before feel like old friends that have been with you for years.

A list of bands with stars tells me nothing. No reason to like them, nothing about what they do different, what character they impart to the music, just an arbitrary score based on... I have no idea. I don't know if they're being ranked on musical proficiency, lyrical content, or just how you happen to feel they rank based only on your opinion of them when taken as a whole.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

While I don't quite follow the 'underground' aspect of your post, as I've heard/heard of a great deal of the artists there(and some of the artists seem to be immensely successful), I suppose that I could contribute.

I came up with this list by finding the least popular artists on my last.fm library, in terms of their number of plays.

3 - Prog. Rather catchy, I think. A very proficient guitarist also sings, and rather well in my opinion.

Acid Bath - Sludge/Doom Metal/Stoner Rock. Extremely interesting band from Louisiana, that seems to be rather influential despite how few people seem to listen to them. The music varies greatly between songs; the only constant feature are the vocals; while they may switch between screaming and slow, somewhat somber singing, the lyrical content focuses almost exclusively on death (sometimes absurdly so).

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Avant-Garde Metal, with mainly operatic vocals. Features excellent use of a cello, also. I've enjoyed them for a while; it can be extremely catchy at times (see: Balrog Boogie).

Pure Reason Revolution - 'New Prog'. Somewhat hard to describe, in my opinion, but I suggest that you listen to them. You might be surprised.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 am UTC

I also don't understand what makes those bands particularly underground, I've heard of almost all of them, and most of them aren't even really the kind of music I seek out, which makes me somewhat of an outsider.

I have some recommendations, but they don't really have anything to do with my generation. I tried to pick fairly obscure bands here, but I'm sure some are more well known than others.

maudlin of the Well - No live tracks on their last.fm page, but there are a few youtube videos linked that have full songs in them. Absolutely phenomenal experimental/avant-garde metal. The band evolved into Kayo Dot, where they've dropped most of their metal aspects and any semblance of traditional song structure, adopting quite a few aspects of modern classical music. Really, anything that Toby Driver has been involved in is gold.

Have A Nice Life - Quite possibly the best band that absolutely no one has heard of. An amalgam of post-punk, shoegaze, ambient, and drone that is an absolute joy to listen to. They take a few listens to really sink in, but once it clicks, it's incredible.

Esoteric - Deliciously heavy, slow, melodic, crushing, psychedelic funeral doom metal. They take some patience to listen to, but it pays off. See also: Asunder, Mournful Congregation.

The Angels of Light - Slow, dark American folk by Michael Gira from Swans. The atmosphere is fantastic (occasionally evoking Godspeed You! Black Emperor, though from a very different musical perspective), the song structure skirts the line well between experimental and straightforward, falling mostly on the latter.

Funeral Diner - Incredible emotive post-hardcore (I would say Screamo, but the term's been hijacked by a dissimilar style of music that I despise), difficult to explain unless you're familiar with the genre, think hardcore mixed with post-rock as far as buildup and atmosphere goes.

Gregor Samsa - Excellent post-rock that isn't particularly focused on crescendos and the traditional post-rock formula that so many other bands have perfected. Slow, beautiful songs, led mostly by vocals and violins.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:10 am UTC

Would Mastodon count as underground? I mean, I wouldn't say they're underground, but they're not particularly mainstream at the moment.

Job for a cowboy seems relatively big to me, but then again I'm a member of a metal forum, so I see bands like that talked about a lot, so I'm not a good judge of whether somethings underground or not.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:04 am UTC

i think quite a few people here could make extensive lists like the first post with numbers of different underground bands but i think i'll stick to a short list with some explanations like AmazingRando did. here are some bands i've been really into in the last 6 months:

the black angels - the black angels are a psychedelic rock band. they typically sound like groovy with droning guitars and vocals that sound like they were recorded in the biggest church hall known to man.

liars - uh. i don't know. this band has 4 albums that each sound entirely different. their first album was based on the british dance-punk sound that was out at the time (see: franz ferdinand, the libertines, bloc party) but their sound was harder and crunchier like a california crust punk band. eventually, they created two crazy concept albums using tribal drum rhythms, feedback, drum effects and a variety of other crazy techniques. liars have continued to impress me throughout their musical lifetime so far.

the hold steady - craig finn of the hold steady is writing the teen anthems of today's america. his songs are about teen culture, high school traditions, drug culture, memories, music and parties. his writing is funny, clever, witty and serious all at the same time. i get a huge kick out of this band lyrically and musically. sounds regular old rock and roll with a raspy voice dude sort of sing-talking.

deerhunter - a pretty new psychedelic rock band that rocks my world for reasons that are unknown to me. the music is pretty low key but doesn't cease to be rockin at all. i think it can be too repetitive at times for people with short attention spans, but it's perfect for me. i <3 them.

the constantines - an art-punk band from canada that sound more prog-rock than punk at times. whenever i want some straight up rock and roll i listen to these guys. their music is honest and interesting. i find them to be pretty amazing. vocals are punky, music is proggy.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

DrPepper09

Postby DrPepper09 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Wardial3r wrote:
mishiesings wrote:

Copeland - ****
Brand New - ***
Anberlin - ***
Escape The Fate - ****

Brand New is completely amazing. (Listen to "Quiet things that noone ever knows" "70 Times 7""Jude law and a semester abroad"

Those are their mainstream hits (besides 70x7). If you want some weird but fantastic music, i recommend The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me. There is not one bad song on the entire album. It takes a few listens to get into, at least for me, but it is my favorite album of all time. The complexity and the method of which they deploy the songs are incredible. The song "Degausser" has 2 lyrical parts to it that intertwin creating a mass of a song and relates the 2 separate songs into one incredible one.
link for Brand new

I also recommend (these band are all awesome and are my top recoomendations, i do not feel the need to create a bio of each band, they tend to be deep and catchy so be prepared to be humming these bands for the weeks to come):
Motion City Soundtrack: http://www.myspace.com/motioncitysoundtrack
Anthony Green (lead singer of Circa Survive): http://www.myspace.com/anthonygreen
The Matches (primarily decomposer- the album): http://www.myspace.com/thematches
Max Bemis (lead singer from Say Anything) acoustic song- Ahhhhh Men (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MofwleqyYOU)

mishiesings

Postby mishiesings » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:42 am UTC

To everyone commenting on the underground nature of the music: Like I said I wasn't saying underground in the sense that no one knows about them, but that they are far from mainstream acts. UnderOath and Brand New probably being more famous than the others. These are by no means bands that no one knows about, just not EVERYONE.

Oh and I saw Motion City, and Say Anything mentioned, I love both immensely. But I just thought they were a little more well known than the others, where as I was trying to find bands that you probably haven't heard yet.

SecondTalon wrote:A list of bands with stars tells me nothing. No reason to like them, nothing about what they do different, what character they impart to the music, just an arbitrary score based on... I have no idea. I don't know if they're being ranked on musical proficiency, lyrical content, or just how you happen to feel they rank based only on your opinion of them when taken as a whole.

Yes the list is based on my personal opinion, but I tried my best to rank them and categorize them without making this Misha's super long thread about music, lyrics, and amazingly talented bands. I believe that would've been a little pretentious. These are just bands I recommend, coming from the teenage generation. Take it for what it is lol.

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 am UTC

A rank really doesn't mean anything.
Everyone has different opinions and where someone will give a 5 someone will give a 1, a description would have been a better way for people to find what types they liked and maybe get into them.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

I'm not going to get into the semantic discussions about what is 'underground' - ...because they are silly - but these are all recommendations of bands that, in my experience, I've generally have to introduce to people before they love them. :D

So, if you're in the market for...

... a perfect, friendly, beginner's introduction to noise music:
Lucky Dragons. This band is beautiful: they make these wonderful, tinkly little noise experiments that manage - through some strange magic - to be warm and lovely and incredibly emotive. The album "Widows" I particularly recommend.

... a singer and songwriter who will restore your faith in the voice+guitar institution:
A. Wallace. I've heard this guy play a handful of times - in parks, in abandonded warehouses; never to a crowd of more than 20 lucky people - and every single time he's torn my soul apart.

... an insane blue-rock blowout that smash the basic faculties of musical civility on the back porch, along with all the rest of the china:
Old Time Relijun. Other rock bands pretend like they don't give a fuck; Old Time Relijun don't give a fuck so hard they'll burn a hole right through your skull. Give "Witchcraft Rebellion" a spin ~ I implore everyone to hear it. At least once.

... an old-timey (but not old-time) singer of stately, countrified weepers - all about heartbreak, or heartache - that can make a dyed-in-the-wool hater of country music make one (just this one) exception:
Edith Frost. I listen to "It's A Game" so often it's almost silly. If you let them, her songs just wrap around you like a blanket (the old, hand-stitched one your mother used to pull out whenever you were sick). She belongs to a different age, but we're lucky to have her.

... an album of lonely indie-disco-pop that you won't find terribly impressive at first, but that will grow and grow and grow on you, until you become inseperable from every song:
No Kids - "Come Into My House". Trust me, it will. ^_^

... a world-music hyperfusion band so completely comfortable in their own unimpeachable virtuosity that the interplay between the musicians becomes, quite genuinely, play:
Shakti. Oh man were these guys unbelievable. I almost never go in for jazzist technical virtuosity, but Shakti combine it with a) kickass melodies, b) really interesting instrumentation, and c) the intrinsic transferential pleasure of listening to other people having the best fun of their lives. :mrgreen:

I hope someone gets something from this list. God bless!

P.S. Hey AmazingRando ~ thanks heaps for the recommendation of Have A Nice Life. They are damn good.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:liars - uh. i don't know. this band has 4 albums that each sound entirely different. their first album was based on the british dance-punk sound that was out at the time (see: franz ferdinand, the libertines, bloc party) but their sound was harder and crunchier like a california crust punk band. eventually, they created two crazy concept albums using tribal drum rhythms, feedback, drum effects and a variety of other crazy techniques. liars have continued to impress me throughout their musical lifetime so far.

I witnessed them in Dallas, Texas several months back, and they performed well. It was quite a sight, and I recommend them as well.

0range

Postby 0range » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I have this CD, it says Pink Floyd. I think they're quite good, kinda obscure though.

Best! ... obvious troll is obvious. -ST

Edit: :( Everywhere we go we are met with suspicion.
Last edited by 0range on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:53 am UTC

The Rumpled Academic wrote:... an insane blue-rock blowout that smash the basic faculties of musical civility on the back porch, along with all the rest of the china:
Old Time Relijun. Other rock bands pretend like they don't give a fuck; Old Time Relijun don't give a fuck so hard they'll burn a hole right through your skull. Give "Witchcraft Rebellion" a spin ~ I implore everyone to hear it. At least once.

oh man, one of my heroes (phil elvrum of the microphones/mount eerie) was the drummer for this band. i recommend them as well.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:
The Rumpled Academic wrote:... an insane blue-rock blowout that smash the basic faculties of musical civility on the back porch, along with all the rest of the china:

oh man, one of my heroes (phil elvrum of the microphones/mount eerie) was the drummer for this band. i recommend them as well.

Word.
Phil Elvrum's the man.

Return to “Music”