I like obscure rap/hiphop...do you?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kaeyn

Re: I like obscure rap/hiphop...do you?

Postby Kaeyn » Wed May 26, 2010 7:58 am UTC

GENERAL PATTON VERSUS THE X-ECUTIONERS.

Fucking crazy, but fucking awesome.
Last edited by Kaeyn on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

Someone already mentioned Doctor Octagon, but for the sake of completeness (and emphasis): Dr. Octagon AKA: Dr. Doom, Kool Keith, Black Elvis, Mr. Gurbik The Half-shark-alligator-Half-man.

Professional chauffeurs open his doors. Women lust over his lyrics like basketball players.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

chewey

Postby chewey » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:53 am UTC

I know Immortal Technique has already been mentioned, but he's amazing. My favorite rapper by far.

And Cee-lo Green, although I'm not quite sure how obscure you would call him. He's in Gnarles Barkley, but by himself he is also a favorite of mine.

CosmicFugue

Postby CosmicFugue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Yay, I like this thread. I love: Atmo, Dessa, Doomtree, Cannibal Ox, King Geedorah/Viktor Vaughn/MF DOOM, The Roots (hardly obscure but not as big as you would expect), Sage Francis, El-P, Aesop Rock, Nujabes, Electric Wire Hustle (not really hip-hop but neo-soul w/ hip-hop elements from New Zealand), Black Star (w/ Mos Def & Talib Kweli), this guy from my hometown called Young Vaughn (now known as timothyvaughn) and much, much more.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

London hiphop. Well, whatever you want to call it really, LV's newest release features a great MC I've not come across before, Josh Idenhen.

LV ft. Josh Idehen - Lost / Early Mob / Your Coat

I *really* like this record. Beautiful music (I love all LV's stuff), smooth effortloss rapping in an English accent, and the content is amazing. Such a great evocation of London life.

Lost wrote:You're stuck in a seperate zone, city wears it's loneliness like a nasty cologne,
you're the only working clock amongst a flock of metronomes, you're the only working clock.
Recently it's like the city's fallen out with you, skies falling like the city wants to battle you...

Great lyrics about how you can feel so alone in such a crowded city, how sometimes everything seems to be in your way, to thwart your progress.

Early Mob wrote:Pigs says no hoods, I give FUs, nobody telling me what to do, except mama, and she's dead. She was never there.
Big fingers inform me (uneka is her name), she says if we got royal papers then we got a game.
I don't care if she ain't clean, me and my boys two minutes we're in between, beatings for her cash, smashed, ASS for her worries, we're laughin'.
We want we take no joke, grab bottles of beer and old smokes from Wells Street corner shop,
brick black windows on parked Benzes, cops bark up, we bite back rocks.
Game over, we've won.
You cannot catch me, your government will not find me, I'm not on no list. I'm young and I'm smarter...

So many kids around the neighbourhood are like this. I love 'royal papers' - a reference to English money, took me a while to figure that one out.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:45 am UTC

Masia One. Asian-Canadians represent!

Also, this person highlights a lot of good not-so-prominent music (I linked to the posts tagged hip-hop, but just about every genre is covered on the blog), plus one free music download every day!

Edit: ALSO ALSO ALSO the sublime Dr. Steel. Professional steampunk lunatic, and yet that description completely fails to capture the phenomenon that he is.
Here is his PSA titled "Reality Engineering", and
here is his music. (scroll over the large circles on the machine in the picture)

It's probably not really classified as hip-hop. I'm not really sure what it is. Wikipedia says, "Steel's music is eclectic in genre, often combining the noise and distortion of industrial with aspects of European folk, classical, and even jazz, as well as hip-hop and opera."
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:41 am UTC

Do Gröûp X and 1108 Thugz count?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

PumpkinKing

Great lesser known hip hop artists

Postby PumpkinKing » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/user/dumbfoundead

http://www.youtube.com/user/waxandherbalt

http://www.youtube.com/user/kodyfromsgink

So, what are your opinions on these artists? What are your favorite hip hop artists(unknown or otherwise)?

Cynwulf

Re: Great lesser known hip hop artists

Postby Cynwulf » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Sage Francis. Rap that is closer to spoken word or poetry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxFGI6ZkFDk

The Streets, aka Mike Skinner. From Brittania!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGtlUMMkOU

That is more or less my "great lesser known" collection.
L'homme est libre au moment qu'il veut l'être. | Man is free at the instant he wants to be.
- Voltaire

Peon

Postby Peon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

I listen to Atmosphere, Bike for Three!, Shad, k-os, Buck 65, Astronautalis, kno, Cunninlynguists, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.

PumpkinKing

Postby PumpkinKing » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

wait... did my thread get eaten?

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

It was merged with this one because it's the same thread.

charolastra

Postby charolastra » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:37 am UTC

I dated a Jewish hip hop DJ and my life has not been the same since.

*All* hip hop is obscure in my circle of friends so forgive me if any of these are not so obscure: Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Aesop Rock, Copywrite, Furthermore, El-P, and The Crest.

Return to “Music”