What songs are so good that even bad covers rock?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

LSK

What songs are so good that even bad covers rock?

Postby LSK » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 am UTC

What songs are so good that even a bad cover version can't mess them up?

The Rumpled Academic

Re: What songs are so good that even bad covers rock?

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:10 pm UTC

In my experience, there are none. No song is so musically impregnable that a terrible cover version can't suck the sweet out of it.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

I'm not really a fan of the song, but seeing as how some people really like it, I will offer you this:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2006/05/s ... to_he.html
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:39 am UTC

I've only ever heard good covers of Evie.
Though I've only heard 2 or so and they didn't change much.

I've loved every cover of Summer Rain [original Belinda Carlisle], though once again, they're not that different.

The covers of Running up That Hill [Kate Bush] are better than the original in all but one case (I have 4 versions :mrgreen: )
ImageImageImageImageImage

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:39 am UTC

I have to say none because of Avril Lavigne. I lost my faith that there could be a song that couldn't be terribly covered thanks to her.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:54 am UTC

The cover that crappy douchebag did of Hallelujah for Shrek. Even he couldn't ruin that song. Also, Lenny Kravitz's cover of American Woman.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:19 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The cover that crappy douchebag did of Hallelujah for Shrek.
Are you talking about John Cale or Rufus Wainwright? John Cale did the version they played in the movie, Rufus Wainwright did the version they put on the soundtrack. I know John Cale didn't actually record his cover for Shrek, I just want to make sure you aren't calling him a crappy douchebag. If you're talking about Rufus Wainwright, though, I totally agree.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:53 am UTC

Ugh, I despise Rufus Wainwright. I couldn't watch his entire set and left the stage after a few songs.

I just realised that makes me sound like I was on-stage with Rufus Wainwright. So let's keep up the pretence, shall we? I picked up a tuba and dumped it on his head, before ramming his tuba-bound head into his large white grand piannah, and slamming the lid on it. I screamed "You'll never be as good as Martha!"

He was crying profusely at this point. I mean, like, wow. I knew he was camp and he minces about a bit, but he sure is a big softy.

Wait, whut? I came in here to do the safety choice of Hallelujah as well, but it seems it was a little too safe. Let's see, covers...covers...covers.

Anyone who covers Ob-la-die! Ob-la-da can technically do it better as the original sucked rhinoceros pizzle, but that's not what the OP is asking. Awesome songs? Live & Let Die. No matter how bad the artist, the Da-da-DAAAAAA/Da-da-DAAAA/DA-daaa rockin' triplets will always sound awesome. Wayfaring Stranger is pretty much unfuckupable. And Wade in the Water. But these traditional folksy/12-bar blues numbers will sound good if you're Rockhouse McMegastar or just a train-station busker.

Pie Jesu. Nessun Fuckin' Dorma.

Umbrella. Every cover of that sublime-yet-quickly-annoying song (notably Biffy Clyro & Manic Street Preachers) makes you realise just how good it really is. That, and I want to impregnate Rihanna.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The cover that crappy douchebag did of Hallelujah for Shrek.
Are you talking about John Cale or Rufus Wainwright? John Cale did the version they played in the movie, Rufus Wainwright did the version they put on the soundtrack. I know John Cale didn't actually record his cover for Shrek, I just want to make sure you aren't calling him a crappy douchebag. If you're talking about Rufus Wainwright, though, I totally agree.

Nope, the one in the movie. Didn't know who it was. His version's still not that good.

PointyShinyBurning

Postby PointyShinyBurning » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The cover that crappy douchebag did of Hallelujah for Shrek. Even he couldn't ruin that song.

Maybe he couldn't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaw6VWpk4A

Of particular note are the cod-Mariah Carey dynamics, meaningless and intrusive vocal gymnastics and the omission of the last verse of the Buckley version, doubtless due to intense cowardice about clear allusion to sex.

Ugh.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

AUGH.

Sorry, I'll do it like she would...

AAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Aha - Take On Me. Seriously, I haven't heard a cover of that song I did not like. Even in all it's shitty ska-lite and flash-in-the-pan boyband reincarnations.

Don't judge me.
i dare you to take me on...

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Mock Reel Big Fish not, you fucking fried cyclops!

What?

Ok, ok, fine. To stay on topic, I'll have to go with Monster Magnet's cover of "Evil", which is really just a cover of Cactus's version of "Evil", which was an oldschool pre-metal-metal cover of a Howlin' Wolf blues standard, "Evil". I urge you to watch all three!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

Most Michael Jackson songs... Lets face it. They're great songs and nobody will play the originals anymore so most any cover is going to be awesome.

Yes, I said it. Michael Jackson was a gifted songwriter, performer, and truly deserves the title "king of pop".
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Yes, I said it. Michael Jackson was a gifted songwriter, performer, and truly deserves the title "king of pop".
And you're absolutely right. He was. And somewhere along the way, he fucked up completely. After a quick look at the timeline, that would be right around the first accusation of molestation.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

Which doesn't change a note of any of his music now does it? Listening to MJ doesn't make you a child molester.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:28 am UTC

I don't think I've listened to a bad cover of Love Song, and it seems to have an absurd amount of covers (Of course, I'm sure that if I spent 3 minutes on Youtube I could end that).

Return to “Music”