Metalcore/Emocore

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

IggyJack

Metalcore/Emocore

Postby IggyJack » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I don't know whether this is up anyones alley but could anyone recommend some good bands under these genre titles? I checked the search and nothing that i saw was really relating. I kind of like things that are melodic and heavy, and such. Please and thank you.

-Iggy
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. -Thomas Paine.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good. -Thomas Paine.

SkaBassist

Re: Metalcore/Emocore

Postby SkaBassist » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 am UTC

...Metalcore? Now I know for SURE that someone at Capital records is just trying to piss me off.

Someguy1332

Postby Someguy1332 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:26 am UTC

Not touching this one.
There aren't enough positive adjectives to describe how wonderful I am.
http://www.last.fm/user/Someguy1332

Gaz

Postby Gaz » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:42 am UTC

A friend got me onto Unearth, and that's about the limit of my knowledge.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear.
Wombats are the most underated animal ever.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:53 am UTC

Converge and Botch may fall under this category. The rest is mostly shit, in my opinion.

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

Thanks. Really i just wanted to have a recommendation of some heavy artists. The title kinda kills it though. I guess melodic and heavy is what i meant. I've listened to Unearth before, didnt really like it much.

ofwolf42

Postby ofwolf42 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Protest the Hero might fit, try "Sequoia Throne".
Silverstein would be more on the Emo side "Smile in your sleep".
Alexisonfire, Enter Shikari or Gwen Stacy might do too.
DON'T PANIC

Lt Greatsocks

Postby Lt Greatsocks » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I don't know if they're really metalcore but definitely check out Greeley Estates.
Fuck you, I'm the Crowing.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 pm UTC

I dont know understand today's labeling and genre system. But check out Four Year Strong and Underoath.

I can also second Protest the Hero, great band.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

IggyJack

Postby IggyJack » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:26 pm UTC

Yeah, i'm aware that the labels have gotten weird as of late. Check one of my earlier posts to see what i meant by the title.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:08 am UTC

Neither metalcore or emocore, because those are crappy genres.

But Death Metal!

Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth
Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth Opeth

(Progressive death metal, best band evar)

And... if you want melodic death metal or folk/viking metal, try finntroll, ensiferum, or some of the other bands in this thread

Duke Rich

Postby Duke Rich » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:59 pm UTC

Some Caliban stuff is, but looking at the stuff on my iTunes it says all the stuff they've done is, but for that cross over you said about I'd suggest you look at the album The Awakening, it's a good one.
Also Unearth which someone said about earlier, saw them on Valentines day with 5 Finger Death Punch, Lamb of God and Dimmu Borgir good gig :)

Apocrypha

Postby Apocrypha » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

Greeley Estates <3
Check out Drop Dead, Gorgeous if you're into kinda hardcore.
Heavier metal, maybe As I Lay Dying?
Life fears death, but lives only to die.
The only cure for this fear is total destruction.
In a world of nothing, fear does not exist.
This is the world that all life desires.

consumer_malfunction

Postby consumer_malfunction » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:35 am UTC

as said, Botch and Converge are good, also check out Rorschach, Integrity, Unbroken, Starkweather, Coalesce, PM me for some more if you're into this kind of stuff, but I personally think metal-meets-hardcore turns out much better in the realm of Crust, check out Hellbastard, Drop Dead, Totalitar, Skitsystem, and His Hero is Gone.

Emocore not exactly sure what you mean by that, If you're going traditionally, definitely check out Rites of Spring, Embrace, Moss Icon, but I imagine this isn't what you're looking for, perhaps stuff more like Pg99, Saetia, combatwoundedveteran?

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

At the Gates (along with Botch and In Flames) basically created what's now known as metalcore. By that I mean that every modern metalcore band just steals riffs from the aforementioned bands and calls it their own.

However, some bands that I like that occasionally are called metalcore are the Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, and Darkest Hour.
Check 'em out.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

consumer_malfunction

Postby consumer_malfunction » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 am UTC

I don't think its really fair to say that one band "created" metalcore, bands have been fusing metal and hardcore/punk pretty much since the dawn of each, starting with Discharge (hell, even Motorhead was really doing it before punk even really existed), The Cro-Mags pushed it further in the early 80s, COC, and a shit ton of other bands. I'd say it really reached its peaks with the likes of Integrity, an all those (some equally good, some downright horrendous) 90's bands. Of course, this is coming more from the Hardcore/Punk side of things, and I seriously don't have the slightest idea what passes off as "Metalcore" these days. I could just be bitter because I could never really get into At The Gates, even though I love Skitsystem, Disfear, and all those bands.

fyrenwater

Postby fyrenwater » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:14 am UTC

Bullet for My Valentine is pretty good.

....aaaand that's all the metalcore bands I've heard of and have listened to and like. Sorry.
...It made more sense in my head.

consumer_malfunction

Postby consumer_malfunction » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

current good metalcore, check out Narrows (www.myspace.com/narrows) they have ex-members of Botch and Unbroken, and have a reallly botchy-vibe going on. I dig it.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

consumer_malfunction wrote:I don't think its really fair to say that one band "created" metalcore, bands have been fusing metal and hardcore/punk pretty much since the dawn of each, starting with Discharge (hell, even Motorhead was really doing it before punk even really existed), The Cro-Mags pushed it further in the early 80s, COC, and a shit ton of other bands. I'd say it really reached its peaks with the likes of Integrity, an all those (some equally good, some downright horrendous) 90's bands. Of course, this is coming more from the Hardcore/Punk side of things, and I seriously don't have the slightest idea what passes off as "Metalcore" these days. I could just be bitter because I could never really get into At The Gates, even though I love Skitsystem, Disfear, and all those bands.

Yeah, I suppose you're right, but whenever I hear one of the very, very many recent metalcore bands, it sounds really familiar, like I've already heard it somewhere. Then I'll go listen to some older melodic death metal and I'll realize why.
Haha, I'm coming from the metal side of it, that explains a bit.
The genre classifications are fucked up beyond all belief, no one really knows what's what anymore.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:33 am UTC

I Killed the Prom Queen would probably be my best recommendation. I've seen them play locally around where I live and they were very good. I haven't got the "Music for the Recently Deceased" album but I've heard some of the songs off it and it sounds good. I've got "When Goodbye Means Forever" and it's a pretty good album. I'd recommend either of those two.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

Melodic metalcore?

I guess Demon Hunter would be a good choice, then.

consumer_malfunction

Postby consumer_malfunction » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

this isn't at all what you're looking for, but I would suggest you check out From Ashes Rise, Tragedy, and Disfear. I think you might like them

Return to “Music”