Music Video Identification Thread

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mutestorm

Re: Music Video Identification Thread

Postby mutestorm » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:13 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:
mutestorm wrote:There's one video I saw ...I think he dies in the end.

Eeerrr... Micheal Jackson - Thriller? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_MuUcxHATo

No. But it has the same video and music.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:27 am UTC

What the heck?

Edit: There are like 4 different versions ( Shortened version and so on ) so you might mean that.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:13 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:What the heck?

Spoiler:
Methinks mutestorm's question is a sarcastically morbid joke to commemorate 1 year since MJ's passing. He's just messing with you.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Ah right. I'm not really keeping track of that.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

It also annoys me, taking up time to track down a video that isn't actually unidentified.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

I saw a video a long time ago, probably mid-80s, and the only lyric I remember (or misremember) is, "Made up a story and I got LIE!" The video has people in black shiny leather and sunglasses, kind of like the matrix but of course was made before that. The people in leather and sunglasses are the oppressive futuristic government spooks that the singer is trying to save himself from. The music style is that 80's techno-rock stuff, sort of like Safety Dance or something. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

I suspect Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night?

Dystopian - Check
Sunglasses - Check
Eighties - Check
Techno-rock - Check
Lyrics - uuuuuuuuuh

Edit: The thing in this video is that the government forces people to wear sunglasses at night. What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXw4qqQqTrY
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:I suspect Corey Hart - Sunglasses at Night?

Dystopian - Check
Sunglasses - Check
Eighties - Check
Techno-rock - Check
Lyrics - uuuuuuuuuh

Edit: The thing in this video is that the government forces people to wear sunglasses at night. What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXw4qqQqTrY
It does sound a lot like that song and I remember seeing the Sunglasses At Night's video around that time. However, it's not the same song. I'm pretty sure when they said, "LIE!" in the song the screen flashed red and it said the word LIE on it, it was like a jury verdict type of thing I think.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Damn, I was pretty sure I had it.

I tried searching on lyrics, but that didn't work out, so I looked up a list of dystopian videos which gave me Sunglasses at Night. :?

Couldn't find anything with such lyrics. Do you know anything about where you saw it? On TV or online?

Edit: Could be a remix of the song with also a different video?
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:Damn, I was pretty sure I had it.

I tried searching on lyrics, but that didn't work out, so I looked up a list of dystopian videos which gave me Sunglasses at Night. :?

Couldn't find anything with such lyrics. Do you know anything about where you saw it? On TV or online?

Edit: Could be a remix of the song with also a different video?
I saw it on MTV, like I said mid-80s. I don't think it was a remix but I was probably about 10 at the time and didn't know much about such things. I guess I either misheard the lyrics, or the song is so obscure that nobody has bothered to post them on the internet.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

In my head pretty much anything played on MTV should be on Youtube aswell.

Maybe you misheard, maybe you didn't. :? Let's hope someone else has more luck.
Spoiler:

Miriada

Postby Miriada » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

I'm usually pretty good with music videos but unfortunately couldn't help any of the posters here, but maybe somebody will be able to help me with this video that's been bugging me for a few years now.

The video is as follows, it's winter, snowing, a couple is supposed to meet up at a bus station I think.
The guy even buys some kind of a stuffed animal.
But everything seems to go wrong, all those little things happen that make them miss each other out and finally the girl (could be the guy but I'm pretty sure it's the girl) gets into a car crash.
And that's when the time is turned back and this time around all those little things that made them miss each other, now happen just right and everything turns out the way it's supposed to and they meet up and it's a happy end.
i hope it gives you some idea, I really barely remember the video but they used to show it a lot on MTV, it's from a few years back.

Alistair.S

Postby Alistair.S » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Ok I'm not sure what the song name is or whose it by. All I remember was watching the music video it was in slow motion and everything was happening backwards. It had a reporter or some type of civilian woman in some army camp and they come under fire and it ends with her alone in a room with a soldier shes in love with or something

I saw it a few months ago

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

Once your inquiry is answered, it'd be cool to edit your original post with the answer.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

Howdy, xkcd!

I'm looking for a music video I saw quite a while ago ( lets say five to seven years ), which was set on the beach, and something tells me it had a sort-of "caveman" figure slowly going through the stages of evolution. It received heavy airplay from MTV2 or VH1, so it was something indie or rock-related. The name of the band or the song could've had the word "alpha" in it, but I might be making that up.

Thanks in advance!
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Revenge331

Postby Revenge331 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 am UTC

I saw a rock/indie rock video once about 4-5 years ago. I remember 2 things
1: The band was playing the song in a room full of lit lamps.
2: There was a man in an elevator with some sort of machine. It sort of looked like a record player. The man had a suit on and I think a mustache. He got in the elevator and traveled to a different place in the world.
Please help me, this is driving me nuts!

hira2

Postby hira2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

:mrgreen: As I said I don't remember the music very well so genre placing may not be very accurate. It was indie-rock. Something like the Pigeon Detectives only heavier (and not annoying). :oops:

imom

Postby imom » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Hello, I have been trying to track down a video. The genre is house music from the 2000s. I think it was filmed in the streets in East London area. A guy dances along a street on his own, then notices a girl on the other side of the street and they start to dance together.

Does that ring any bells?

imom

Postby imom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Anyone?... Bueller?....

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:43 am UTC

I have the memory of a song stuck in my head. Not the actual song, but I'm reminded of it's existence by another artist I used to listen to a lot because I was introduced and mildly obsessed with them both for a short time.

Things I remember: the artist has a mop of curly brown hair, I think.
The music video involves him walking through the woods.
The words "like things used to be" or "the way things used to be" appear somewhere in the song.
The song was in my favorites playlist along with Jamie Cullum's "All at Sea".
The song is heavy on piano, light on guitar and drums, I think.

What I don't remember: the name of the artist or song.
Any uniquely identifiable lyrics.

This song popped into my awareness maybe 6 or 7 years ago via WMVY Radio in RI but has been in a couple of commercials and has been played in department stores and stuff maybe once every or every other year. I don't think this artist has done much else of note.

This is *killing* me. It's basically a shot in the dark hoping someone else listens to this and knows what it is off the top of their head, I don't hold much hope for this being valuable google info. I've already gone through all of the artists similar to Jamie Cullum on Spotify and last.fm with no luck, as well as having googled the lyric snippet.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:50 am UTC

Repeatedly uses the phrase "the way things used to be"? check
Singer has a mop of brown hair? check
Piano is lead instrument? check
Video has him walking through the woods? Not that I can find, but maybe?

http://youtu.be/Aeq1ffSor1o
Badly Draw Boy - The Way Things Used To Be
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

New User

Postby New User » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:51 am UTC

I was just about to post this in the "Things you remember watching but can't remember the name of " thread but then I thought to try here. I don't normally visit the Music forum.

Many years ago I saw a music video on MTV in the mid-1990s.
I don't remember much about the song that played. I think it was some kind of electronic music (kind of like Orbital or The Crystal Method) but I could be wrong, and I remember the same syllables being repeated, but it didn't sound like English.
In the video, a young girl would wander aimlessly and observe the world around her. She carried with her a cube shaped block, except that the cube was hollow with a square-shaped hole right through the middle. Like a cube with two opposite sides removed. When the girl looked through the cube, she would see something similar but different.
I don't recall any of the things she looked at, but the viewpoint perspective would shift from third-person to the girl's first-person perspective, and then show the cube being lifted to her field of vision and what appeared through the cube's aperture was different from what she saw with her normal eyes. I think she would first see something mundane, then when she looked through the cube she would see something fantastic or surreal.
At the end of the video, the music stops but the words are repeated. Again, it didn't sound like English, and it showed that an old woman was singing those words to a sleeping girl.
I think the song was called Lullaby or something but I could be wrong about that. Lullaby being the only word I have to go on, it is very difficult for me to search for this on the web.
I only saw this video once and it was probably 17 years ago or something like that, so I might have misremembered some things. I appreciate any help!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Halp! I can't remember the artist or title of a song that was popular (at least on YouTube, judging from how often it was linked to) a while back. It was built up largely from samples of the sounds of logging the Amazon rainforest, plus some instrumentation. There was a distinct anti-something feel to it (anti-logging? anti-capitalism?) including some scenes of glossy magazines being printed.

I think the band's/artist's name started with a T. Real helpful, I know.

It's driving me nuts. (Arrr.)
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Danielwilliams

Music video indentification?

Postby Danielwilliams » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10 am UTC

Hey! So there is this song that is at least a few years old, and I believe not so well known. If I remember correctly, it has a rock sort of style, or a little indie. It also used to be used on the video creating site animoto. In the music video, the main singer was a mime, and he saw a girl, also with her face painted as a mime. A lot of the people in the video were painted like mimes. At the end of the video, a car drove by and splashed the two of them sitting on the curb. I can't for the life of me remember the lyrics or the title, but of anyone knows anything about this song, please comment! Thanks so much :)

Stu Pickles

Postby Stu Pickles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:56 am UTC

In probably 2006 or 2007 I saw a music video for some band. The song was ok, but I loved the video. There's a super hero who has down syndrome and he flies through the universe in this cool car that blasts away aliens or something. At one point, a donut materializes on a shelf in the car and he eats it. I've been looking for a while, but I can't find it.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:59 am UTC

poxic wrote:Halp! I can't remember the artist or title of a song that was popular (at least on YouTube, judging from how often it was linked to) a while back. It was built up largely from samples of the sounds of logging the Amazon rainforest, plus some instrumentation. There was a distinct anti-something feel to it (anti-logging? anti-capitalism?) including some scenes of glossy magazines being printed.

I remembered enough to find it! It's Timber, by Coldcut.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:02 pm UTC

I found the song and video! Keane - Somewhere Only We Know.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

kitoba

Postby kitoba » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 pm UTC

I'm looking for a music video, probably from the late 90's. The song didn't make a huge impression on me, but the video was striking.

Basically the scenario is a sort of "after the rapture" narrative. A person wakes to find everyone else in the world has disappeared. Bacon is frying by itself on the stove. Cars are abandoned. He loots a store, but then leaves money on the counter. At the very end of the video, he spots a single other person a vast distance away.

Qzislam

Postby Qzislam » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 am UTC

Hi, i hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a particular song which had a really funny video. I remember really liking the song, and saw the video on youtube back in 2012. I tried most of the keywords on google but failed. As far I can remember, the song was along the lines of The Magnetic Fields. Very indie!

The video showed the singer killing all his other band members. he drops a Piano on one of them. Running over another member with a steam roller. That's as far as my memory stretches. Anyone know which song I'm talking about? A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

kitoba

Postby kitoba » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:29 pm UTC

Alistair.S wrote:Ok I'm not sure what the song name is or whose it by. All I remember was watching the music video it was in slow motion and everything was happening backwards. It had a reporter or some type of civilian woman in some army camp and they come under fire and it ends with her alone in a room with a soldier shes in love with or something

I saw it a few months ago

This could be TV on the Radio's "Province", it features a woman in military uniform repeatedly coming under fire in slow motion.

redlove

Please Identify these french music video

Postby redlove » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:14 am UTC

its like this:

the music video consists of only a young woman wearing a blue sweater, slowing unknitting. until it becomes a ball in her hand.

jimmy526

Postby jimmy526 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

I saw a music video last night on "Gold's Gym TV" while I was working out. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear any of the lyrics. It was a brunette singer in a swimming pool wearing (I think) a black swimsuit. There were a lot of other people in the pool with some pool noodles, etc. around them. Any ideas about which song / music video this might have been?

SenseiMillion

Postby SenseiMillion » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:20 am UTC

Hi I'm trying to identify a music video that I saw only once in the late 90's. It featured a man stumbling around a town looking sick, and basically puking up a bunch of gadgets, from a game boy to a mobile phone. I haven't got a clue what the music was like but the video was so well done I'd love to see it again! Any ideas?

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:29 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:Howdy, xkcd!

I'm looking for a music video I saw quite a while ago ( lets say five to seven years ), which was set on the beach, and something tells me it had a sort-of "caveman" figure slowly going through the stages of evolution. It received heavy airplay from MTV2 or VH1, so it was something indie or rock-related. The name of the band or the song could've had the word "alpha" in it, but I might be making that up.

Thanks in advance!

And years later, I've found out that it's the music video for "Assessment" by "The Beta Band". Still quite a decent tune :)
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Return to “Music”