What comes next?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Goatboy
may become less boring.

What comes next?

Postby Goatboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 am UTC

I've started two different threads asking how I should go about picking my next Dylan album and my first Elliott Smith album, and I figured rather than doing that for multiple artists over & over, I'd start a thread where we can help each other.
So, my first question: I finally got into the Flaming Lips (this took much more effort than it should have), and now I own the Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots. After watching The Fearless Freaks I realized that I'm now okay with older Lips stuff, too. Pandora taught me that the newest Lips disc is good, too.

Now the relevant conundrum is: Do I go towards the future with At War with the Mystics or the past with Transmissions From the Satellite Heart?
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

ChocloManx

Re: What comes next?

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Why not both?
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I usually don't do this but I'm just going to tell you do do what the above poster said. They're both really great albums and you should check them both out.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:47 am UTC

I'm sorry to say that I found At War With the Mystics pretty unlistenable, especially after sublime classic Yoshimi. Some of the tracks seemed to have been written just to get on my nerves. That album thinks it's so radical, but it's not so radical. In fact, it's fanatical. Fanatical! Ugh.

But most people liked it, so objectively speaking you should be okay with it. Just listen to "Free Radicals" first somewhere and decide if you want that record in your house. The cover art at least is epic.

Seriously, though - Hit to Death in the Future Head is as awesome as its name.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 am UTC

I'd say try both - a lot of people I know disliked At War With the Mystics but I thought it was great. And you can't go wrong with most of their 90s output either.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:I'm sorry to say that I found At War With the Mystics pretty unlistenable, especially after sublime classic Yoshimi. Some of the tracks seemed to have been written just to get on my nerves. That album thinks it's so radical, but it's not so radical. In fact, it's fanatical. Fanatical! Ugh.

But most people liked it, so objectively speaking you should be okay with it. Just listen to "Free Radicals" first somewhere and decide if you want that record in your house. The cover art at least is epic.

Seriously, though - Hit to Death in the Future Head is as awesome as its name.
I tell you, Hit to Death in the Future Head is my favourite Lips album title. I honestly enjoy "Free Radicals" pretty well. Maybe because I'm used to it in a live setting (via the U.F.O.s at the Zoo DVD). I've also listened to some promotional stuff for AWwtM, that had some different versions of the various songs & found it enjoyable. I've also really come to like "Turn it On" from TFtSH. We'll see what happens.
And some old pictures.

The Rumpled Academic

Postby The Rumpled Academic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

Speaking as a big enough Flaming Lips fan that my avatar is Wayne Coyne circa 1993 --->,
I have but one thing to say in answer to your question:

The past!
The past!
A thousand times the past!

I found At War With The Mystics seriously disappointing ~ basically, whereas Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi give off a feel of this cosmic orchestra unravelling the most tender truths about life and death, Mystics feels more like a couple of guys in a room having fun with effects pedals.
imo.

Their back-catalogue, though, is a veritable treasure-trove. Clouds Taste Metallic is a good place to start, and Transmissions From The Satellite Heart and Hit To Death In The Future Head will reward you well ~ "You Have To Be Joking (Autopsy of the Devil's Brain)" is in my top 3 Flips songs, easy.
From then, if you're still digging it, you have the option of going even further back ~ into the more abrasive, psychoglampunk, Priest-Driven Ambulance sort of waters. :mrgreen:
Basically, everyone seems to have a certain point in the Flaming Lips' journey beyond which they don't wish to travel ~ only go back as far as your ears will be happy to. I'd definitely recommend Clouds, Transmissions and Hit To Death, though ~ as well as the amazing Zaireeka, if you have some friends who are up for a truly freaky sonic experience. :D

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

At War With the Mystics really does have some of their most brilliant songs in my opinion, namely The Sound of Failure, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion and Pompeii am Götterdämmerung. But I like the whole album, anyway. Hit to Death in the Future Head is a bit WAY too "look here, we're trying to be PSYCHEDELIC here, okay?" and spoils some of the tracks with that. Okay, guys, we all have listened to Magical Mystery Tour -- you did NOT need to record The Sun and Felt Good to Burn.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

So, I think I've got my problem solved, thanks to the local public library. Gonna get both albums from there and see for myself.

So does anybody else need some musical direction?
And some old pictures.

If Chickens Were Purple...

Postby If Chickens Were Purple... » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:44 pm UTC

Actually I kind of do: I've never heard anything by The Fall and sometimes I get it in my head that I should, but their threateningly massive discography always puts me off. Somebody tell me about The Fall.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:00 pm UTC

I'm not familiar with The Fall, I'm afraid I can't help.

I do have another question, though. I recently picked up Without a Sound by Dinosaur Jr and I quite enjoy it, but I'm guessing from the '94 release date, it isn't from the peak of their careers. I may be wrong. What do you know?
And some old pictures.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:I do have another question, though. I recently picked up Without a Sound by Dinosaur Jr and I quite enjoy it, but I'm guessing from the '94 release date, it isn't from the peak of their careers. I may be wrong. What do you know?

You're Living All Over Me and Bug are often said to be their best albums I would say. Maybe try those next.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

If Chickens Were Purple... wrote:Actually I kind of do: I've never heard anything by The Fall and sometimes I get it in my head that I should, but their threateningly massive discography always puts me off. Somebody tell me about The Fall.

I don' know much about them myself but I asked a few people who do and was told that the career-spanning compilation 50,000 Fall Fans Can't be Wrong is a decent place to start for people getting into The Fall, considering the large amount of albums they have. As for their regular albums, This Nation's Saving Grace gets a lot of good mentions.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:So does anybody else need some musical direction?

Yes, but not regarding an album. Might as well ask this here...

Which of these two Sonic Youth biographies should I read?

Psychic Confusion

or

Goodbye 20th Century

No doubt I'll find they're both bog-standard hack-written music bios, with the only real difference being that the most recent one will take the story a couple of years further...

(Either way, I'll probably also check out the "33 1/3" book on Daydream Nation - the one in that series on The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society was brilliant.)

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Well, I've got an advanced reader's copy of Goodbye 20th Century that I started but never got far with. If I recall correctly, it's written by someone who knows the band, but that might not be accurate. It seems pretty entertaining, but I think I should actually listen to some Sonic Youth first (they're in the same "I know I should like 'em but haven't heard 'em yet" category as Dinosaur Jr).
And some old pictures.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

Goatboy wrote:I think I should actually listen to some Sonic Youth first (they're in the same "I know I should like 'em but haven't heard 'em yet" category as Dinosaur Jr).

Their albums are pretty much all streamable on last.fm. So you've no excuse!

Start with Daydream Nation, as I did - it has a great reputation for a very good reason. Just don't be put off by "Providence", its mid-album "Fitter Happier" equivalent.

Then Dirty, Sister and Goo. Then A Thousand Leaves if you want to try something a bit weirder (make sure you hear "Sunday", at least; it's one of my favourites), and Bad Moon Rising for one of their earlier albums. Beyond that, I'm still investigating too! :mrgreen:

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Providence is one of my favourite tracks on Daydream Nation! I do agree that it's a good place to start with Sonic Youth though. That and Evol or Sister.

Return to “Music”