38%
I'm an old fart and buy lps/cassettes.
7%

Total votes: 60

|Erasmus|
Branson

How do you buy your music?

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:27 am UTC

Inspired by other conversations here. How do you buy your music?

It appears that most younger people buy/acquire most of their music from the internet. It seems to be mostly the domain of older generations to go out of their way to acquire high quality music on a physical medium. How do you get your music?

Discuss.

Dingbats

Re: How do you buy your music?

Postby Dingbats » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:56 am UTC

That would be better as a multi-choice poll.

In any case, I don't see how downloading illegally fits into that poll. If the poll was "how do you get your music", sure. But I don't buy music to have something to listen to; if I just want music I'll download it. If I buy a cd, it's because I think it's so good that I want to have a physical product to hold in my hands and look at in the bookcase.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:02 am UTC

No "I make playlists on Youtube" option?

I also have a few on projectplaylist, to be honest.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:16 am UTC

Ever since Ruckus closed down, I suppose I'll have to say CDs.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:55 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:That would be better as a multi-choice poll.

I considered that, but most people would be ticking all of them and making the poll seem a little silly. It's meant to be your primary method of acquiring music.

Acquiring through questionably legal means is there because a lot of people do it, and they would have no option otherwise.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:57 am UTC

CDs.

The compression on most mp3's drives me crazy. I honestly can't hear how anyone can stand a 128kbps mp3. Usually the encode has to be bumped up to 192kbps for me to stop casually hearing compression artifacts. Anyway, that's why I don't pirate most of my music.

I wish I had the money to sink into a turntable and LPs...

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:06 pm UTC

Mostly I pirate music. 192+Preferrably. It's not too hard to find. If I find an artist I really like or a CD I will play a lot I will buy the CD. If I can't find torrents or anything I will buy itunes for things that are hard to find.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:The compression on most mp3's drives me crazy. I honestly can't hear how anyone can stand a 128kbps mp3. Usually the encode has to be bumped up to 192kbps for me to stop casually hearing compression artifacts. Anyway, that's why I don't pirate most of my music.

Uhm, where have you been looking? I'd never download anything below 192kbps, and it's not hard to find at all. I can find most of what I'm looking for on Soulseek, and if it isn't there it's probably on The Pirate Bay or Demonoid. Hell, I probably even download half of my albums in lossless encoding. The "bad encoding" might have been an argument five years ago, but hardly anymore.

ashgray

Postby ashgray » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:19 pm UTC

No one else here is into vinyl?

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:Uhm, where have you been looking? I'd never download anything below 192kbps, and it's not hard to find at all. I can find most of what I'm looking for on Soulseek, and if it isn't there it's probably on The Pirate Bay or Demonoid. Hell, I probably even download half of my albums in lossless encoding. The "bad encoding" might have been an argument five years ago, but hardly anymore.

Meh. I've got burnt enough that I consider the CD before a torrent. Not to say I don't use torrents, because I do, but I vastly prefer CDs.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:39 am UTC

Dingbats wrote:Uhm, where have you been looking? I'd never download anything below 192kbps, and it's not hard to find at all. I can find most of what I'm looking for on Soulseek, and if it isn't there it's probably on The Pirate Bay or Demonoid. Hell, I probably even download half of my albums in lossless encoding. The "bad encoding" might have been an argument five years ago, but hardly anymore.

It depends on the artist. It is hella hard to find good quality Henry Cow or a specific recording of an obscure Bach sonata by a particular player.

But yeah. :P
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I almost always pirate music first, and if I really like it and it's in a record store close to me (there aren't any good ones...) then I'll buy it.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Julien

Postby Julien » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:39 am UTC

I don't buy CDs anymore. I don't like the sound of it. And it's too expensive.

As I listen almost only to old music from the 60s and 70s, I prefer to buy old LPs. There are plenty of second-hand record shops in my district. THey're quite cheap. And I love these large sleeves. I've got 400 of them.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

tobydickenson

Postby tobydickenson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 pm UTC

Internet radio and podcasts are my suggestion for the missing poll option. Unless that counts as "legal download" I suppose.

So excluding that I mostly buy music on CD. For the last few years I have been trying to sample a wider range of different artists and push the limits of what I think I will enjoy, so I stay away from buying downloads unless I am very sure I will like the music. At least a disliked CD has a resale value. For anyone who trawls the music listings on ebay, you might be able to save some hours using this site which gives an rss feed of music matching a lastfm profile.

And reluctantly I concede that I probably am part of some older generation now :cry:

0range

Postby 0range » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

I buy all of my classical music, everything else gets downloaded.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 am UTC

If its a new band that I've found, or that someone has pointed me to, I'll buy the CD. But my music taste is mainly from the 60s/70s/80s so I have rather a large collection of vinyl as well :).

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

Excluding legal streaming, my primary method of buying music would be concert tickets. Shared recordings would be a close second. And then CDs because the bands I like make the object a piece of art and that it is valuable in understanding the music.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

My primary method is legal downloading, however, I have a cd here and there, and when there is a song I want that I cannot EASILY find legally (ie: Im too lazy to truly dig for it), then I use....alterior methods. This is extremely rare though.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Julien

Postby Julien » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

<nyssa> wrote:If its a new band that I've found, or that someone has pointed me to, I'll buy the CD. But my music taste is mainly from the 60s/70s/80s so I have rather a large collection of vinyl as well :).

Marry me :D

...oh wait no, I'm married already...
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

Enid Coleslaw

Postby Enid Coleslaw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:15 am UTC

download illegally (preferably 320 at least), then if i like it, buy the vinyl. if i don't like it, delete it.

the artists i like get my money, but i don't end up spending money on a rubbish record.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I buy either CDs or vinyl, depending on what's available for the album in question.
I'd like to sink some more money into a better quality sound system and turntable, but CDs have been doing pretty good so far.

Am I the only one that still listens to CDs in the car?
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am UTC

Julien wrote:
<nyssa> wrote:If its a new band that I've found, or that someone has pointed me to, I'll buy the CD. But my music taste is mainly from the 60s/70s/80s so I have rather a large collection of vinyl as well :).

Marry me :D

...oh wait no, I'm married already...

Hehehehe, you may just find yourself sig'd.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Rhombulus wrote:I buy either CDs or vinyl, depending on what's available for the album in question.
I'd like to sink some more money into a better quality sound system and turntable, but CDs have been doing pretty good so far.

Am I the only one that still listens to CDs in the car?

nooooo. definitely not. I am always listening to them.

Julien

Postby Julien » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

@<nyssa> Wooo I'm proud of it :)

Ironically, the only reason why I download some songs I already have on LPs is to burn them on a CD and listen to it in my car...

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 am UTC

I have a neat mp3 player which plugs into my turntable and will record the songs off my LPs as mp3s :). Then I plug my mp3 player into the radio in my car and I'm away! Hooray for technology.

Julien

Postby Julien » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

That's great :shock: I need something like that. If I had an mp3/USB radio in my car, that would be great already.

I own several Hi-Fi LP-players from the seventies. I find them for half a euro and I fix them myself : most times there's just a belt to fix or a cable to re-plug. I should buy this USB on you're talking about. What brand is it ? Where did you find it ?

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

Its a pretty simple mp3 player to tell you the truth, its by the brand Creative, and basically it has a cord which goes from the mp3 player to the place where you would plug headphones into the turntable (I have a late 80s turntable with a radio and tape deck too). Then as you play the records, instead of the sound going to headphones, it goes into the mp3 player, which records it as an mp3! It took me a while to get the balance right so the sound quality wasn't TERRIBLE, but now it works pretty well :)

Julien

Postby Julien » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:10 pm UTC

Mmmmh a simple jack plug then, I see... I can fix this out by myself I think :)

This Old Town

Postby This Old Town » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

I find myself downloading more and more illegal music. I guess copyright law is a bit off-topic, but I hold no regards for it. I'm a rebel like that :P
Chai Kovsky wrote:"Coniecto, ergo Jacobus sum."

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

Excuse me? BUY music? I'm confused. I had never seen those two words together.
Obviously, Illegal download
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:04 am UTC

If artists do something a la NIN or Radiohead, I'll go buy it if I like any of their music, even if I don't necessarily like what they're selling. At least I know they're getting the majority of the money, and I'm supporting that.

Hyena

Postby Hyena » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:05 am UTC

I usually buy cds when possible, but if i have to pirate anything i do it the "old fashioned way", that is getting music manually from friends with usb drives and such.
Nougatrocity wrote:I refute it with having several female friends that OH MY GOD I WANT TO SEX. But that doesn't get in the way of friendship.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Enid Coleslaw wrote:download illegally (preferably 320 at least), then if i like it, buy the vinyl. if i don't like it, delete it.

the artists i like get my money, but i don't end up spending money on a rubbish record.

this, also i attend shows of artists i like so the money goes straight to them via merch and the ticket, not through a middleman

Xaiv

Postby Xaiv » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I usually just buy the CD if I want to get the music.

But I only buy CDs from artists I know I want to hear. I usually do this from being pointed to them from friends or hearing their songs on youtube by chance or something. But, it's safe to say that if I do get into them, I will get all of their studio albums at any costs. That's just an odd quirk about me. If I truly like an artist or a band, I MUST have all of their studio albums. Live albums or B-sides album aren't really as much as a need than a want.

Symmetrical Feet

Postby Symmetrical Feet » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I have an obsession with completeness, and compulsively need complete discographies of audio releases (Like Xaiv, but with the singles; B-sides are often favourites). Pirating exists, and why not take advantage of one's resources?
I purchase discs on occassion, because it is always nice to have lossless copies of the files. I'd love to go to concerts, but most of them are an ocean away, making things difficult.
However, y'know, 128-quality ain't too bad for normal listening while chilling and reading Wikipedia, or for saving space on one's mp3 player.

If it's old (pre-CD), I go out of my way to find the vinyl. I'll never forgive my father for selling some of his Black Sabbath albums before my birth.
Things go in one ear, and are then promptly annihilated by the resident ninjas.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 am UTC

I buy CDs. I tend to take risks and buy things I'm not sure I'll like, so long as I'm sure I won't hate them. I don't like listening to an entire CD before I purchase it, but I'll usually check out a few tracks ahead of time unless it's a release I'm strongly anticipating (I like to take in the entire CD with every song still completely fresh).

I buy vinyl, but not particularly often.

Return to “Music”