Psychedelic (or "Stoner" Metal)

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Clumpy

Psychedelic (or "Stoner" Metal)

Postby Clumpy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:21 am UTC

I'm looking for some very heavy music with a psychedelic bent. A lot of metal or hard rock bands of the 60s and 70s are called "psychedelic" but don't really reach the intensity or far-outedness of what I'm looking for here, so I'm probably going to have to get into more modern stuff. I'm thinking heavy riffs, ethereal vocals and songs with both quieter bits and explosive choruses.

Deftones, Queens of the Stone Age and Rammstein sometimes skirt the edge of what I'm talking about here (especially Deftones). Does anybody have any suggestions?

armandtanzarian

Re: Psychedelic (or "Stoner" Metal)

Postby armandtanzarian » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Boris. Definitely, defintively Boris.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:34 am UTC

If Queens of the Stone Age skirt the edge, what you're looking for is Kyuss. They're a stoner metal band Josh Homme of QotSA played guitar in, pre-QotSA.

You might also be interested in the genre of doom metal in general, which tends to focus on groovy, psychedelic riffs, though at a slower tempo.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:If Queens of the Stone Age skirt the edge, what you're looking for is Kyuss. They're a stoner metal band Josh Homme of QotSA played guitar in, pre-QotSA.

This. A million times. Kyuss are the end all of stoner metal IMO.
And yeah, doom metal is often intersected into this as well. So you might want to check some of that stuff out here.

Dr. Bronowski

Postby Dr. Bronowski » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Have you tried The Beatles?

Wardial3r

Postby Wardial3r » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

Fail.

Yeah Kyuss is kind of amazing.
17/M/CA

Zing Pop.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:02 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I'm really liking Boris so far, and I'll check out Kyuss.

Dr. Bronowski wrote:Have you tried The Beatles?

Somehow I knew without looking that this guy would only have a couple of posts.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:43 am UTC

Electric Wizard. Also: Sleep. I prefer Sleep, but that's personal taste. Dopesmoker is a hell of an album.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 am UTC

Electric Wizard and Sleep are good, but Boris are fucking amazing. Which albums have you heard so far? I would recommend Akuma No Uta and Feedbacker (in that order).

Regarding the Beatles, actually I Want You (She's So Heavy) is a damn good track...

I should probably listen to some Kyuss, can anyone recommend any albums in particular? Looks like Spotify has a good amount, will listen later.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:33 pm UTC

Rhubarb wrote:I should probably listen to some Kyuss, can anyone recommend any albums in particular? Looks like Spotify has a good amount, will listen later.

Welcome to Sky Valley
is my favorite, followed by ...And The Circus Leaves Town, then Blues For The Red Sun. Pretty much all their songs are solid, but be sure to check out Odyssey, Apothecaries' Weight, and Demon Cleaner (which I can't find a good link to for some reason).

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Electric Wizard are the kings of stoner metal.

Also, King Hobo.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Though King Hobo didn't necessarily fit this category, turns out I was looking for them all along and didn't know it. Unfortunately, it looks like they're a supergroup that won't necessarily be recording any more material. Here's hoping.

Not a big fan of doom metal when it's slow and pondersome, but Electric Wizard and their like really tickles my ivories (especially Dopethrone, which I'm really liking so far). My roommates really hate this stuff, but it's nice to have some stuff to really blast in the hour or so before they get home.

consumer_malfunction

Postby consumer_malfunction » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:41 am UTC

Psychodelic is quite different from Stoner metal, With psychodelic, I'd suggest just sticking with Hawkwind, they are by far the best.

For stoner metal, I'm assuming nobody has said Black Sabbath just because they are so obvious, other than that, as has been said, Sleep, Electric Wizard are both awesome. If you're into more heavier grittier stuff check out Bongzilla and Weedeater. Torche is really good "stoner pop" as they call themselves.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Why has nobody mentioned Tool yet?
The Lateralus album is pretty awesome.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:34 am UTC

Thanks for the recommend on Hawkwind - I'll probably pick up Mountain Grill sometime. I'm not really constrained by genres here, and most of the music I've ended up liking hasn't been what I came in here specifically looking for anyway, so no problem.

Hey - and what about some crisper stuff like Ween's The Mollusk or Mutilated Lips, sort of psych-y techno like Ladytron's Black Cat or Ghosts, The Knife's Like a Pen, Crystal Castles' Courtship Dating or Gorillaz's O Green World. And I'll just say flat out here that I'd like more stuff that sounds like Deftones.

I'd also love anything that mimics the heavy/epic vibe of Rammstein, though Eisbrecher doesn't click with me and I already know about Laibach.

TaintedDeity wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Tool yet?

I loved Ænima and Lateralus once I reburnt them to remove the bits they thought were experimental. They do some great songwriting when they want to, even if their metaphors blow as many chunks as their videos.

majikthise

Postby majikthise » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:03 am UTC

For Hawkwind (which I also heartily recommend), definitely pick up Space Ritual first if it's heaviness you're after- and after that any other album with Lemmy on.
Is this a wok that you've shoved down my throat, or are you just pleased to see me?

ivory.irony

Postby ivory.irony » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Electric Wizard is amazing. Also, check out Acid Bath and Goatsnake. It might be what you're looking for, don't know.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

I thought I had posted here, but apparently not. I second the Acid Bath and Tool recommendations. Boris is pretty swell, too. However, I think the three bands you mentioned in your first post are utterly terrible, so we likely have different tastes, and so you might not enjoy my recommendations as much as I do.

BlackMesa

Postby BlackMesa » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

Porcupine Tree is kind of psychedelic. They are very good.
"Courage is not the absence of fear!" - Aperture Science

Blokey

Postby Blokey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Good bob almighty, many thankyous to PhatPhungus for the King Hobo reccommendation. Nice find!

Clumpy, another band (like King Hobo, also from Stockholm... man, was it with Swedes and awesome music?) you may not have realised you were looking for are Plankton. Amazing musical textures, with lots and lots of "stoner" ear candy. Everything on that page is gold, but Cosmic Bridge is the real prize-winner there. The opening 45 seconds alone should sell it for you. Enjoy.

I'll also second Porcupine Tree. In Absentia in 5.1 is pretty much what led me more towards my audiophile tendencies.

You may also like Crime in Choir. Here's The Hollow Crown, a song in stoner-friendly 3/4. Is it 1-and-2-and-3-and, or is it 1-and-a-2-and-a? It's whatever you want it to be. Have fun.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 am UTC

Plankton's pretty great, Blokey. Reminds me of a trippier Tortoise (another personal fave).

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 am UTC

DMBQ and Acid Mothers Temple.

DSenette

Postby DSenette » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

Aethernox wrote:I thought I had posted here, but apparently not. I second the Acid Bath and Tool recommendations. Boris is pretty swell, too. However, I think the three bands you mentioned in your first post are utterly terrible, so we likely have different tastes, and so you might not enjoy my recommendations as much as I do.

i wouldn't necessarily consider acid bath to fit this genre...but i would NEVER EVER EVER discourage anyone from checking out acid bath....they're some of my favorites
The Righteous Hand Of Retribution
"The evaporation of 4 million who believe this crap would leave the world an instantly better place." ~Andre Codresu (re: "the Rapture")

The Binkster

Postby The Binkster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

A little bit of Mastodon, Baroness and Kylesa should go down a treat...

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:50 am UTC

A band called Titan. Found them on Pandora:. There was a great review but I can no longer find it. They definitely referred to them as a stoner metal or psychedelic metal or something band.
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Thanks for the Baroness recommendation as well.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:16 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Thanks for the Baroness recommendation as well.

Baroness freaking rock. Both Red Album and their EP Second are total classics.

Thanks again for the recommends in this thread, I now have some new bands to be checking out.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:37 pm UTC

I saw Baroness open for Converge. Fairly different in a lot of ways, but the combination of the two was quite excellent.

If you like Baroness, you should definitely check out Isis. Their album Oceanic is probably the most similar to Baroness, but Panopticon is probably their best. Their two most recent albums are also good, but a bit of a change in style.

The Binkster

Postby The Binkster » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:If you like Baroness, you should definitely check out Isis. Their album Oceanic is probably the most similar to Baroness, but Panopticon is probably their best. Their two most recent albums are also good, but a bit of a change in style.

Well done that man! Might I also suggest Burst and The Ocean Collective in that case (and if the Isis recommendation takes your fancy, then Cult Of Luna and Intronaut would also be of interest).

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

To tell the truth Isis (at least Panopticon which I'm listening to now) is pretty much what I had in mind when creating this thread. Maybe I should have said "like Hum but heavier" :). Still this thread is turning out pretty great. I'll check out your recommendations too, Binkster.

EDIT: Hey, did I mean "shoegaze metal"? I think I did!

Forum Viking

Postby Forum Viking » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:04 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:you should definitely check out Isis.

Yes, they also came up on Pandora. The song I heard was on the album "In the Absense of Truth."
Review of "A Raining Sun of Light and Love for You and You and You" by Titan
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:51 am UTC

Totally going off of the topic genre here, but yes indeed Isis is awesome. As far as other "post-metal/hardcore" or whatever you want to call it bands, Neurosis, Isis, and Cult of Luna are my all time favorites, and there are a few other bands aren't quite at the same level, but still pull it off pretty well. Mouth of the Architect is a good example. Their album The Ties that Blind is freaking excellent, but their other albums aren't quite as good.

Burst and The Ocean are also great, but I don't really think they're related to Neurosis/Isis or any such. I've heard them lumped with progressive hardcore sort of stuff.
(shrug) either way, still great, and I'm way off topic by now.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 05, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Isis, but I'd also recommend Colour Haze and a local band, Bomb The Sun, who are one of my favourite bands ever. Check them out here and listen to the song Not Waving But Drowning. If you like it, PM me and I'll send you the whole album. I'm of the opinion it is exactly what you're looking for. A choice review quote would be "Sounds like Salvador Dali singing the blues".

EDIT: Should also mention there's a thread I started on this a while back. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20915&start=0
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

mdx_stargoliath

Postby mdx_stargoliath » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Why has nobody mentioned Tool yet?

Thats mainly because they odnt have a heavy leaning towards "Stoner" metal
You can more than likely classify them as progressive metal/rock

and Yes Lateralus is awesome

but as stated before...Kyuss is your true best bet.
Your life is your own and you are not governed by a predetermined destiny.

We Hope...

Teres

Postby Teres » Wed May 13, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Kyuss is probably the best band in this particular genre.

Colour Haze is amazing as well, though. I got a couple of their albums on vinyl. Great stuff. Check them out: YouTube 01 and YouTube 02.

For some 'classic' psychedelic rock, check out 13th Floor Elevators (but stay the hell away from 'Bull of the Woods'.

Postby 6453893 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:DMBQ and Acid Mothers Temple.

Specifically, Acid Mothers Temple and the Cosmic Inferno. The other AMT permutations are far less intense.

Some Sonny Sharrock or Ruins wouldn't hurt either.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 14, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:Specifically, Acid Mothers Temple and the Cosmic Inferno. The other AMT permutations are far less intense.

If only they had Tsuyami Atsushi from AMT & Melting Paraiso U.F.O, then they'd be perfect.

Light Intensity

Postby Light Intensity » Fri May 15, 2009 3:44 am UTC

We got an advance copy at the station and it's pretty great. You'll definately like it.
I think it releases on the 22nd.
Kill the Dog
Tie Them Up
Take the Money

Miike

Postby Miike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 am UTC

novax6 wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:I should probably listen to some Kyuss, can anyone recommend any albums in particular? Looks like Spotify has a good amount, will listen later.

Welcome to Sky Valley
is my favorite, followed by ...And The Circus Leaves Town, then Blues For The Red Sun. Pretty much all their songs are solid, but be sure to check out Odyssey, Apothecaries' Weight, and Demon Cleaner (which I can't find a good link to for some reason).

I would think Demon Cleaner would have a ton of Youtube occurrences, being the mostly widely recognized song on the album and all. Regardless - some background information. Kyuss cut that particular CD (Welcome to Sky Valley) (it's totally their best) into four tracks; three tracks with three songs each, and an oddball single song. The track with Demon Cleaner consists of 100 Degrees, Space Cadet, and Demon Cleaner and is the best sequence in stoner rock BAR NONE. Highly recommend listening to them all.

humectant

Postby humectant » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but Ozric Tentacles. Freakin' great psych-rock. I'd recommend them to anyone who likes interesting music.

I'll also second Porcupine Tree, although they're of a decidedly more mellow flavor. I especially recommend the album "Up the Downstair."

Acid Bath, Tool, and Boris are all fine recommendations as well. I'm not sure if they qualify, but 65 Days of Static is also really good.

Enjoy your search. Finding good music is worth the effort.

Return to “Music”