Which radio station do you listen to ?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Julien

Which radio station do you listen to ?

Postby Julien » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 am UTC

As some of you might know, I'm a radio host. So I found it interresting to ask : do you listen to the radio a lot ? And if yes, what radio do you listen to ?

There are millions of radios around the world so please take some time to introduce your favourite one.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

thatguy

Re: Which radio station do you listen to ?

Postby thatguy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:44 am UTC

I usually listen to Public Radio, but only because it's the only thing that comes in in my car.

There's a college radio station from about an hour away that I can pick up on a good day, and that's my first preference. Otherwise, any rock station that comes in.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

<nyssa>

Postby <nyssa> » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:57 am UTC

Triple J!
Its an Australia-wide station with awesome music and pretty interesting talk-back type stuff as well. Also, the website has pretty good stuff on it, a wide variety, if you've got the time to check it out.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

I am fairly certain I have found the greatest radio station on the planet. KFJC. It is amazing in every way. That is not to say I have heard every radio station on the planet, but KFJC is amazing I love it soooo muuuch. SOOOO MUUUUCH. Even when they play reggae.

The other alternative is WOXY, which seems to be what all the cool kids listen to. Fun fact: it's also mentioned in Rain Man- "97x...BAM! The future of rock and roll"

I also listen to Chris Moyles on Radio 1 in the mornings...

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

I have a hard time finding radio stations I genuinely like.

Mostly I listen to 1050 Chum which is an oldies station.
Rice Puddin.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

I listen to Kerrang radio. It occasionally strays into the realm of the retarded, but (at least in the past) had the best music around (imo, obv). It's a mix of rock, punk, emo and metal, with the odd bit of indie. During the day recently though, it's more indie and lad rock, with some mainstream pop thrown in, especially after they got a new load of presenters in. This displeases me, but after seven, it's back to the listing a few years ago.

If not that, BBC Radio 4- especially This Morning. The Now show is also brilliant.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:35 am UTC

Rhubarb wrote:I am fairly certain I have found the greatest radio station on the planet. KFJC. It is amazing in every way. That is not to say I have heard every radio station on the planet, but KFJC is amazing I love it soooo muuuch. SOOOO MUUUUCH. Even when they play reggae.

The other alternative is WOXY, which seems to be what all the cool kids listen to. Fun fact: it's also mentioned in Rain Man- "97x...BAM! The future of rock and roll"

I also listen to Chris Moyles on Radio 1 in the mornings...

I'm liking that KFJC thing.

I listen to Snakenet when I need radio over the inter-nets. Otherwise, I listen to the radio station from the competing university in my city, because, well, it's better than ours :twisted:

seladore

Postby seladore » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:03 am UTC

Radio 4 in the UK.

Greatest radio in the world.

Beacons!

Postby Beacons! » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:17 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I listen to Kerrang radio. It occasionally strays into the realm of the retarded, but (at least in the past) had the best music around (imo, obv). It's a mix of rock, punk, emo and metal, with the odd bit of indie. During the day recently though, it's more indie and lad rock, with some mainstream pop thrown in, especially after they got a new load of presenters in. This displeases me, but after seven, it's back to the listing a few years ago.

If not that, BBC Radio 4- especially This Morning. The Now show is also brilliant.

Yeah I can't stand how un-rock Kerrang is. Seems like there's no radio station out there that plays music like Kerrang should, they all play the same brand of indie-rock-pop trash. Therefore I listen to Radio 1 since the presenters and overall quality is better.

Radio 7 some evenings for the comedy though.
"Woof!", explained the dog

lesliesage

Postby lesliesage » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

I listen to kpcc, the NPR member station in Los Angeles. Not really an answer for the music forum.... but basically it's a major US city that lets me stream online through iTunes... even though Larry Mantle is really annoying. New York's station is less accessible, or I'd probably go there. I listen to Dallas' sometimes too, and it's really bizarre to hear morning traffic reports (in the afternoon) from home, when I've lived in England for 5 years.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

X96's Radio From Hell Show is the best morning show I have ever listened to. It's mostly bright (though cynical when it needs to be), is intelligent and doesn't patronize its audience. The station it's attached to used to be good and independent but has fallen by the wayside for a lousy modern radio alternative standard.

I love an independent station that really plays a diversity of music (rather than one that just pretends to) and gives the disc jockeys control over the station's programming. The only way radio can compete with 6,000 song iPods is to offer something new - intelligent personalities and a diversity of music, some of which you hopefully have never heard before and enjoy.

blue_eyedspacemonkey

Postby blue_eyedspacemonkey » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I listen to Kerrang radio. It occasionally strays into the realm of the retarded, but (at least in the past) had the best music around (imo, obv). It's a mix of rock, punk, emo and metal, with the odd bit of indie. During the day recently though, it's more indie and lad rock, with some mainstream pop thrown in, especially after they got a new load of presenters in. This displeases me, but after seven, it's back to the listing a few years ago.

That's just what I was about to say. Although Kerrang lost a lot when it fired Tim Shaw...he was on virgin radio, but didn't have a free rein (haven't tuned in for a while,. so not sure if he's still there)
"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes"

So. Twitter

OmegaLordX

Postby OmegaLordX » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:31 pm UTC

Dear 92.5 WXRV,
Thank you for shaping my childhood in such a way that almost everything I listen to once came over the air. I mean like everything.
Love, OmegaLordX.
-Is not thrilled about being previously perma-banned for Forum Games-

Apemeat

Postby Apemeat » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 am UTC

WGN Radio in Chicago rules.
"Dogs fucked the Pope. No fault of mine."

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

I listen to Absolute Radio (formerly known as Virgin Radio), particularly Geoff Lloyd's Hometime Show (5-8PM).

I also listen to BBC Radio 4, as others have mentioned - particularly their 6:30PM comedy shows. I love "Just a Minute", "The Unbelievable Truth" and a variety of other shows they have on every weeknight.

CrimpAMP

Postby CrimpAMP » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

I listen to Jason Ellis on Faction (Sirius 28/XM 52) almost daily. I started out as an XM customer, but after the merge with Sirius a few months back, I have fallen in love with most of their channels. I have listened to Stern before and never really related with anything he said, and Jason Ellis is much more appealing to kids like me (pro skateboarder, MMA fighter, drift racer, accent).

I also enjoy Octane, BBC Radio, and Alt Nation. Terrestrially, I listen to Rock 105.9/98.3, WDNG Newstalk 1450, and NPR.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:00 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:X96's Radio From Hell Show is the best morning show I have ever listened to. It's mostly bright (though cynical when it needs to be), is intelligent and doesn't patronize its audience.
This. They were even mentioned in Rolling Stone, but I don't feel like looking up the article. I don't find myself listening to a lot of radio otherwise. If I'm in the car after work, it's usually X96, but mostly because that's when KRCL is playing their dull political programming, but for music in Salt Lake, KRCL's probably the best way to go.

Oh, and I listen to a fair amount of Pandora.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Flectarn

Postby Flectarn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

[http://www.wncw.org/
and
http://www.wblm.com/

depending on where i happen to be residing at the time

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I used to listen to Triple M. They brand themselves the rock station but now their entire playlist consists of Nickelback, Pink, Kelly Clarkson and Lily Allen (and of course Kings of Leon's new record, which was shocking compared to their old ones). So I switched that off. Vega was alright, like Triple M they play all music from 60s onwards that has been mainly mainstream, but they play Pink like twenty times a day so they were out. Triple J was alright, but sometimes the music was good and sometimes it was just shocking. I couldn't tell which show was on when.

I listen to SYN 90.7 now (Student Youth Network). It's like a uni radio-station, but anyone from I think 15 to 25 can host a graveyard shift (or if good enough a proper show) on it. I mainly listen to it on the indie nights, the metal nights and on the occasion that it's not a specific night but they're playing good songs anyway. The only problem I have with them is that they don't say the names of the songs they're playing. Their music taste is great, like usually indie-alternative or rock sort of stuff, but I mean I've heard like fifty billion songs that I love but don't know the name of. Like literally ten in a row, I keep trying to remember them to post in the "what's that song" thread here, but then another one comes up and I keep forgetting them.

Julien

Postby Julien » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:34 pm UTC

I personnaly listen to Radio Caroline. It's exactly my state of mind. The perfect radio for me. Even better than the one I work for, which is already very cool indeed.
Do not conquer. Do not fight back. Do not give up.
(One cookie for each person who recognizes the guy on my avatar. And no, it's not me. Clue : he's not a former american president.)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:02 pm UTC

What is this "radio" of which you speak?

Most of the time in my car or at work I have my mp3 player running. On the weekends, however, whenever I go out somewhere I'm usually accompanied by 97.1 The River, a classic rock station based in Atlanta, and was once down in New Orleans, until Hurricane Katrina.

I had pretty much quit listening to terrestrial radio when the office I worked in blocked out almost all reception. I had metal blinds in the office, which made for the best damn shield for any reception (schizos, take note). Of course, it also made it feel like an oven in the afternoon, especially during the summer. I had XM radio for a while, mainly tuned to channel 68 (I think that was the number), Top Tracks. After my parents made me get rid of XM to help me manage my money better, they bought me an mp3 player because I told them you can't pick up any FM or AM station in that office. My boss could pick up most stations in his, but he had the vinyl blinds. I tried using a laptop connected to the Internet (we had an extra cable in my office connected to the router, for when the company's IT guy came down to help us, or if someone else needed to) logged into that radio station's website, but that slowed down the connection for everyone else, especially to our network shared drive. When I told my parents, I explained that to them, so they bought me the mp3 player.

Even though I can receive most (if not all) Atlanta-based radio stations at the company's main office, I still use my mp3 because (1) I'm used to it, (2) whenever I have to get up and leave my desk for more than a few seconds, I can pause the music so I don't miss a thing, even if I've heard the song a million times, and (3) in general, Atlanta radio is, well, teh suxx0rz.

Several years ago I used to listen to AM 750 WSB, mainly for Neal Boortz and Clark Howard, but I quit when I was constantly being called away from my desk, or having to get up more frequently, and I'd miss hearing something either of them said that I wanted to hear, like a news story Boortz was reading (one thing I liked was his "Morning Sickness" news bits, where he talked about the grossest news piece he could find), or if Clark was talking about some new scam to be aware of (he's a consumer adviser, like Dave Ramsey). I figured with FM, mainly a music station, if I missed a song, it wouldn't matter too much, because either I have the song on CD and I could listen to it whenever I wanted, or else I knew the station would play it again tomorrow or the next day.
PRG

An important message for you:

HawkDesigns

Postby HawkDesigns » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

I mainly listen to Vega 95.3, a radio station in Sydney, Australia. It has some quite good music, from like the 1970s and '80s.
Spoiler:
^Clicky clicky^

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

I cannot stand the vast majority of radio stations I've listened to. None in Atlanta strike my fancy, so I just carry CDs in my car and I've got a beat-up iPod Nano 8GB for any other situation. The few radio programs I'll tune in to are NPR (occasionally), WRAS (the GSU radio station) and WRFG (Radio Free Georgia).
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Prime radio station I tend to listen to is BBC Radio 5live. News and current affairs programming throughout most of the schedule, with sport on weekday evenings and weekend afternoons. Rather entertaining phone-in discussions at 22:00-01:00 and then 'Up All Night' until dawn.

In my local Newcastle area, I'll listen to Metro Radio from time to time, but the overload of repetitive advertisements got to me a few years ago. Sometimes I'll listen to Radio 1/2, rarely 4, but will often enjoy stuff like The Now Show when played at home or in parents' vehicles; never 3.

coocookachoo

Postby coocookachoo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

96rock from NC

Tofer

Postby Tofer » Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm UTC

DI Radio's Trance Channel is the only radio station I will ever need. All of my fave shows are on there (ASOT, Trance Around the World, Subculture... the list goes on). I have over 40 gigs on my hard-drive of sets I've heard, loved, and downloaded immediately after. They also do a great job of featuring up-and-coming DJs too.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon May 25, 2009 3:32 am UTC

I don't listen to radio often, but when I do, it's usually to some sort of classic rock radio (better than shit like PST), though NPR is good too, if only for the strange calmness the droning voices on that station bring to me.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

HumanoidCarbonUnit

Postby HumanoidCarbonUnit » Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 am UTC

I don't listen to radio other than when I'm in a car. When I do listen it is normally to the college radio station and if they play something that is just no good I'll change it to Public Radio and its classical Mozart-y goodness.

steewi

Postby steewi » Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 am UTC

<nyssa> wrote:Triple J!
Its an Australia-wide station with awesome music and pretty interesting talk-back type stuff as well. Also, the website has pretty good stuff on it, a wide variety, if you've got the time to check it out.

Yes. They have Hack (interesting current affairs shorts), and a decent variety of music, and the morning people are only kind of annoying (I miss Adam and Wil).

rosalinda

Postby rosalinda » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:16 am UTC

I'm fun of listening to Launchcast radio provided by yahoo messenger. I can select what kind of songs I want to play and in terms of today's big hits, they have it too.

hipp-e

Postby hipp-e » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:28 am UTC

The Bay Area is awash in great radio (as long as you skip the commercial stations.) There's http://kzsulive.stanford.edu, http://www.kalx.org, http://www.kusf.org, http://www.kscu.org and http://www.kfjc.org as mentioned above.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

i live in the hartford, connecticut area and i usually listen to radio104 which is an alternative rock station. i'm pretty sure it's owned by clearchannel or it used to be. it's been through about 4 format changes since i've been listening to it (about 10 years) and it's back to the original one now again. usually i just listen to my ipod though.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

I live on Aquidneck Island in RI and I listento WMVY radio if my dad has control of the radio, WHJY or WBRU if I do. BRU is the college station for Brown university.
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

This might not be what you want to hear, but I prefer radio stations that are about the music. That's a first criterion. So as little hosts as possible or if they do talk, they talk about music. And by 'talking about music', I don't mean Britney's umpteenth nipslip or how outrageous Lady Gaga has been lately, but when a band is gonna perform live or when the new album is out. Or amusing anecdotes. Not the lowbrow-gossip you hear these days.

Second criterion: The music. I'm usually only interested in 3-4 songs in the current hit parade, so most station I listen are either (classic) rock, alternative or public pop. The latter one because they also broadcast relatively unknown or unpopular bands every-once-in-so-many tracks. Definitely no hit, RnB, rap or trance radio stations for me.

Yes, I'm quite picky about my music.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Mostly, I'm listening to radio of the internet type (last.fm ftw).

If I do happen to hit up the true FM, it's WRTI--Radio Temple (as in, Temple University in Philadelphia). Classical during the day, then jazz from 6pm on...
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:56 am UTC

I used to only listen to last.fm, now they ask me to actually supply for the costs of their site and not just leach their services, cheapskates.

Apart from that, my taste is far to select to enjoy a radio station, even in-genre I like too little really.
^ :/

Return to “Music”