ITT Rank Sonic Youth

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ITT Rank Sonic Youth

Postby 6453893 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:34 am UTC

I am very interested to see what people think, and how The Eternal will rank amongst people who have heard it.

Right now I think:

Daydream Nation > Sister > A Thousand Leaves > Goo > NYC Ghosts & Flowers > Murray Street > Washing Machine > The Eternal > Dirty > EVOL > Confusion Is Sex > Sonic Nurse > Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star > Rather Ripped > Bad Moon Rising

Subject to change without notice.

TheAmazingRando

Re: ITT Rank Sonic Youth

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I only own five of their albums, but my ranking for them goes.

Sister > Washing Machine > Daydream Nation ~= Goo > Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols

I can't decide if I like Daydream Nation or Goo more. I'm guessing that if I heard EVOL again and were to insert it, it would go between Daydream Nation and Washing Machine.

Also, I love pretty much any Sonic Youth I've heard, so this changes frequently and they're all very close together.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue May 05, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

From what I've heard

Daydream Nation > Murray Street > Goo > Evol > Sonic Nurse > Sister > Dirty
Last edited by charliepanayi on Wed May 06, 2009 8:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Postby 6453893 » Wed May 06, 2009 1:23 am UTC

It is interesting how a lot of their fans only know their early work. Kind of the opposite of most bands.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

Murray St. > Daydream Nation > Sister > EVOL > Sonic Youth > Sonic Nurse > Dirty then I'll have to think about where to slot in Washing Machine, Goo and GBC20th. I actually think I might put EVOL or Sister above Daydream Nation, but for the moment Daydream gets the nod because I saw them touring it a few years ago and it was incredible. But Murray St wins because the band is aging so well. It's like Neubauten, where they're mellowing and becoming more musical, but revealing subtleties and hidden beauty in spades. Rain on Tin, Disconnection Notice, Karen Revisited and Radical Adults Lick Godhead Style are all in my top Youth songs list. Secretly, I haven't gotten around to listening to the latest album so I can't rate it yet.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Maltese Gauze

Postby Maltese Gauze » Thu May 07, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

I really can't do a ranking here, though I'm tempted to put Confusion is Sex at the top for the version of I Wanna Be Your Dog alone. I think their live recordings are generally a lot better than the studio albums, and I'm hoping to see them again soon.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu May 07, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I just realized that I forgot to put Dirty in my first list. I would probably put it on the same level as Confusion is Sex, though I really like the track Wish Fulfillment.

My difficulty in ranking is due to the fact that every Sonic Youth album has one or two really really good songs, but the rest tend to just be ok. Granted, "just ok" for Sonic Youth is still really really good, but they have a sound and a style they tend to fall into, and I enjoy listening to a lot of their work for the noisy aesthetics almost as much as I do the sound itself. This is why I doubt many Sonic Youth songs could be covered well.

I'm always confused about where to put Washing Machine because, while it has some songs that are fairly unmemorable, Diamond Sea is by far my favorite Sonic Youth songs (and one of my favorite songs by any band, in any genre). It's always hard for me to find where I rank it compared to Sister, which doesn't have any tracks that stand out nearly as much (though Schizophrenia is really good), but which has an otherwise very consistently good quality to it.

Goo has Song for Karen and Dirty Boots, which are also two of my favorite Sonic Youth songs, but I also think Teenage Riot is slightly better than both. The rest of each album isn't quite so definite for me, but my opinion on which is better pretty much shifts depending on which one I've listened to most recently. I will say, though, that even though Daydream Nation is always listed as the one Sonic Youth album you should definitely own, I found it very difficult to get into after the first few tracks, and it almost turned me off the band for good. It wasn't until I listened to Goo that I decided to go back to it and see what all the fuss was about. I think Goo is definitely the album I would recommend to someone who's never listened to them before.

Still, I tend to listen to all their albums that I have with more or less the same frequency. Once I stop being broke, I plan on rounding out my collection with Murray Street, EVOL, and probably a few others, randomly selected.

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 am UTC

The main reason I put off doing this was because I, like I'm sure everyone else did, had trouble with ranking the albums. They've all got such distinct sounds, it's like rating an indie band you really like against a metal band you really like - it's just non-comparable. I'm leaving out SYR5, because it's technically not Sonic Youth (it's just Kim and some Japanese DJ) and the whole album is pretty much like Contre le Sexisme off A Thousand Leaves except for the whole album and with bubbling noises behind it. I don't like it much. And the bootleg 4 Tunna Brix deserves a mention but I'm not including that either.

Note that even the albums toward the end are still amazing albums.

EVOL > Rather Ripped > Dirty = Goo = Daydream Nation > Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star > Washing Machine > Sonic Youth EP > A Thousand Leaves

Sonic Youth EP (1982):
The Burning Spear > I Don't Want To Push It > I Dreamed I Dream > The Good and the Bad > She Is Not Alone

The album was good. Much different to any of the albums I have, but I still like it heaps. It's so great, and probably the main thing that pulled it down behind Washing Machine was the fact it didn't have as many awesome songs. No doubt, every song on here is great, but there's only five of them, as opposed to more on Washing Machine. Very experimental, it's really a good album. It might sound something like Confusion is Sex, I don't have the album yet so I can't tell. Definitely worth the money/download limit if you want to get it.

EVOL (1986):
Tom Violence > Bubblegum > Shadow of a Doubt > Star Power > Expressway To Yr Skull > In The Kingdom #19 > Death To Our Friends > Secret Girls > Green Light > Marilyn Moore

I actually didn't like this album as much as any of the albums when I first heard it (it's the most previous I'd bought before A Thousand Leaves), but it grows on you so well, song by song. Like the songs on other albums are better but for some reason you're drawn to this album. The songs are similar but different, and overall just the order they've put them in is fantastic. Tom Violence is absolutely amazing, so powerful and such a good opener. When I first heard the album Bubblegum was my favourite, however, as it sounds the most upbeat and it was a different from the constant experimental and/or slow songs and they had such effort in the guitar solos and even the vocals when Kim screams "bubblegum yeah!". Shadow of the Doubt was so close to being my favourite - this whole album is hard too choose songs over others on. It's just really good. Star Power is just musically/lyrically pretty good. Expressway To Yr Skull I didn't originally like because I didn't listen to it well and I'm like "why does everyone like this song so much?" but now I see. It's great. In The Kingdom 19# is Lee reading poetry which I shouldn't like because it's poetry and but Lee as usual pulls it off. It's a great listen, even without any actual singing. Death To Our Friends, Secret Girls and Green Light are all good songs. Marilyn Moore was the only song that didn't catch on to me, but that could change when I've listened to it more. Anyway, the album is magic after listening to it but at first it may seem rather bland.

Daydream Nation (1988):
'Cross the Breeze > Eliminator Jr. > Hey Joni > The Sprawl > Silver Rocket > Teen Age Riot > Rain King > Kissability > The Wonder > Candle > Eric's Trip > Total Trash > Hyperstation > Providence

The first Sonic Youth album I got. 'Cross the Breeze was always my favourite off this album and was my favourite song by them for quite some time and still is up there. Kim's vocals along with the brilliant music and lyrics just makes it so good. I can't describe it in words, but it's great. Same goes for Eliminator Jr., another Kim song. The crunchy guitar at the start and the verses and everything, just so good. Hey Joni is probably my favourite Lee song (tied with Mote) and was another one of the songs that instantly caught. The best part is where they're in the feedback bit and he calls out "hey" and then they go back into the proper chorus. It's such a good song, musically and vocally. The Sprawl is pretty good as well, it's another one of those songs you just think "Kim you genius" to. Silver Rocket was the first song I heard off the album. The fifth song I ever listened to by them (Incinerate, Junkie's Promise, Drunk Butterfly, Kool Thing came first in that order). It's still good, as is Teen Age Riot. I believe that Teen Age Riot is probably Sonic Youth's most accessible song, people who aren't really fans of the music can probably listen to it and like it. Rain King is another good Lee song, and the intro and music is just awesome noise. Kissability, The Wonder, Candle, Eric's Trip, Total Trash and Hyperstation are all very good songs but there's not much I can say about them apart from "they're awesome". Providence doesn't really count as a song, but I didn't really hate it anyway, it was good to put it in there. Not a bad song on this album, a good starter for anyone.

Goo (1990):
Mote > Titanium Exposé > Tunic (Song For Karen) > Dirty Boots > Cinderella's Big Score > Mary-Christ > Kool Thing > Mildred Pierce > Disappearer > Scooter-Jinx > My Friend Goo

Mote is such a good song, same with every single song on this album. I can't really say much about them, they're all great and it was hard to rank them. Mote is terrific, Titanium Exposé has a catchy riff. Tunic is obviously about Karen from the Carpenters and anorexia, but the song can take different meanings, especially the lines "I feel like I'm disappearing/getting smaller every day/but I look in your eyes/and I am bigger in every way". Brilliant lyrics, it's such a great song. I originally put it under Dirty Boots, I just had to shift it up on my ranking thing up there, because you forget just how great the song is. Dirty Boots is a good opener for the album. Cinderella's Big Score reminds me of their next album, Dirty. It's a good song. Mary-Christ sounds funny when Thurston sings, but it's truly a god song. Kool Thing is also great. I'm not hating it because it was on guitar hero or anything, it's actually a pretty good song when you listen to it. The next three were tricky to take apart but it finally worked. My Friend Goo is a good song musically but the lyrics turn you off it a bit. Still, it's a great song. Not a bad song off this album either.

Dirty (1992):
Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit > Swimsuit Issue > 100% > Shoot > Purr > Drunken Butterfly > Youth Against Fascism > Wish Fulfillment > JC > Sugar Kane > Theresa's Sound World > Nic Fit > Creme Brulee > Chapel Hill > On The Strip

Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit just has the most throaty vocals by Kim at some points but it is just so good. Especially the chorus and the backing vocals just before it. An awesome song. Swimsuit Issue and 100% are both awesome songs and are two that you can pick up straight away. Shoot is good after some listening. Purr is probably the catchiest song on the record. Drunken Butterfly is great, more rough vocals from Kim, Youth Against Fascism is a good song and has a good meaning behind it (I think it was bagging all the punk bands that came out during that time period singing about Nazi attacks and that sort of stuff without knowing what they were singing about). Wish Fulfillment is a terrific song, it could be the best of this album too - everything up to Theresa's Sound World could be the best on this album, they're so good. JC is a beautiful song, it's just about the only song (apart from On the Strip) where Kim sings normally, and I love it. Sugar Kane is catchy and Theresa's Sound World is powerful. Nic Fit is funny to listen to but it's a good song. Creme Brulee is good, as is Chapel Hill. On The Strip is probably the only one I don't like heaps off this album, but mind you it's still a good song. This whole album is so good. 100%, if not Teen Age Riot, is very accessible. It's the second album I got after Daydream Nation.

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (1994)
Tokyo Eye > Skink > Screaming Skull > Bone > Bull in the Heather > Self Obsessed and Sexxee > Androgynous Mind > Quest For The Cup > Starfield Road > Waist > Sweet Shine > In the Mind of the Bourgeois Reader > Doctor's Orders > Winner's Blues

I've run out of things to say - they're all good songs, it's hard to tell them apart. A lot of people think this is Sonic Youth's worst record, but listening to the songs they become good. It's hard to pick one over the other. It takes a hell of a lot of listening, mind you, but you pick up on the small things after a while. Doctor's Orders is just as good as Tokyo Eye, so it's difficult to rate this one. It's good.

Washing Machine (1995)
Washing Machine > No Queen Blues > Panty Lies > Junkie's Promise > Little Trouble Girl > Becuz > The Diamond Sea > Untitled > Unwind > Skip Tracer > Saucer-Like

This is such a good album, I feel bad putting it so low compared to the others but a few songs on it I think are annoying (gasp). Washing Machine is such a good song. No Queen Blues is good as well, especially the chorus and directly after it. Panty Lies is smart during the verses. These three are just terrific songs. Junkie's Promise is great as well, it reminds you of a song off one of their old albums - I was surprised when I found out it was on Washing Machine. Little Trouble Girl is a nice song, easy-listening. Becuz is a good opener but if you listen to it too much it can get tiring. The Diamond Sea is a good song, but everyone makes it out to be the best thing in the world. Wow, it goes for 19 minutes, it has to be good now! I like the song, but it's a bit overrated either way. Untitled and Unwind are okay songs, but they don't really appeal to me that much. Skip Tracer and Saucer-Like, two of Lee's songs, are just annoying. Lee really let me down on this album. Those good songs make up for them, though.

A Thousand Leaves (1998)
The Inneffable Me > Sunday > French Tickler > Heather Angel > Hits of Sunshine > Wildflower Soul > Female Mechanic Now on Duty > Hoarfrost > Karen Koltrane > Contre le Sexisme > Snare, Girl

I think I need to listen to this album a bit more before commenting on it. I only started listening to it a week ago so I'm just hoping it'll get better. At the moment The Ineffable Me and Sunday stand out far above the rest, the end of Heather Angel is awesome and French Tickler is a little better than most of the other songs, but the rest are a bit indistinguishable so far. I'll have to listen a bit more before I can properly rank it.

Rather Ripped (2006):
Incinerate > Pink Steam > Jams Run Free > Reena > Turquoise Boy > The Neutral > Sleepin Around > What a Waste > Rats > Do You Believe in Rapture > Lights Out > Or

I don't know why there are so many Rather Ripped haters out there - it is seriously one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. Incinerate was the first Sonic Youth song I ever heard and it was music to my ears (well, obviously, but still). I listened to it non-stop for days on end and didn't get tired of it. I had different songs in between off different albums but recently I've been liking it again. It's easily the best on this album - brilliant lyrics, brilliant music, it just tops off everything. Pink Steam is a song a lot of people don't like as well, but the whole long intro and music and melody is just too good. I think maybe the lyrics in the song put people off the actual song. I just thought "I'm the man who loves your mother" might be Thurston singing to his daughter about Kim and then it wasn't that weird anymore. Jams Run Free and Reena were pretty tricky to do, but they're both great songs. When I first got Rather Ripped, Reena was my first favourite. Turqoise Boy is just alright during the verses, but the middle part where the kind-of distortion kicks in is what makes the song so good. The Neutral is another good Kim song, she's got a few on this album. Sleepin Around and What a Waste are probably two of the best songs on this album musically, but their lyrics let them down so much. As in what is "what you did was wrong/what you did good is gone/you don't know what is right/gonna end up in a fight" supposed to be? It seems like they were just trying to find words that rhyme, as much as they fit together lyrically. Still, if you get over the lyrics the songs can be great. Rats was pretty good, but again I didn't get the reference to Rats, maybe it's a musical term or something. Do You Believe in Rapture is a bit overrated in my opinion but the instrumental bit is good and the whole song is generally a nice listen. Lights Out and Or are still good songs, but they didn't really capture my attention as much as the others. It's a good album, and it gets even better after listening (eg. Pink Steam I didn't realise was so good until just a month or two ago).

I'm planning on getting Sister or Murray Street next, but if the Eternal comes out before I get the album I'll get the Eternal instead. That preview of all the songs sounded good, and I'm really liking Sacred Trickster.

Postby 6453893 » Sun May 10, 2009 5:02 am UTC

I think Rather Ripped just worried a lot of people. After a string of wildly adventurous albums (Washing Machine to Murray Street), they dialed back their sound a lot for Sonic Nurse. It was probably one of the most straight-forward rock albums they ever made, which everyone thought was all well and good. Then Rather Ripped came out, and it looked a little like Sonic Youth had adopted a formula. They churned out some killer rock riffs, strung them into songs, rinsed and repeated until they had an album. It wasn't even noise rock or indie rock, just rock. Still very, very good by all accounts. It's just that, especially after Nurse, I can understand the fear that this was the new face of Sonic Youth. I think that's why so many people were left with a bad taste in their mouth after Rather Ripped.

Bearjazz

Postby Bearjazz » Sun May 10, 2009 4:42 pm UTC

I only own 6 of their albums, but I'll rank them as I prefer them.

Sister > Murray Street > Confusion Is Sex > Dirty > Goo > Daydream Nation

Take that as you will: I never really cared for Daydream Nation.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Fri May 15, 2009 9:31 pm UTC

1. Daydream Nation (first of their albums I heard, the first I bought, the one with which I'm most familiar, and I think it deserves its incredible reputation)
2. A Thousand Leaves (ranked this high largely, but not entirely, because of Sunday :mrgreen:)
3. Dirty
4. Bad Moon Rising
5. Rather Ripped (haven't listened to it all through in a while. I should probably reaquaint myself with it.)

Those are the only ones I'm really familiar with. I've heard a number of their other albums via Last.fm (of which Sister, Evol and Goo stand out). But for some reason I find that when I listen to stuff streamed off the internet I don't take it in as well as if I've bought, rented or borrowed the physical CD - perhaps because it's so easy to chop and change between different pieces of music, rather than taking the time to really get to know a single album properly. That's not helped by the fact that you can only listen to full tracks on last.fm three times (though you can get around that by logging out).

I haven't heard much from their new album yet, but based on their performance on Jools Holland a couple of weeks ago, I love What We Know; less keen on the slower Antenna.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:37 pm UTC

1. Daydream Nation ( I love it how their best album is still not a sonic youth album for people who don't like sonic youth)
2. EVOL
3. Sister
4. The Eternal
5. Goo (has good songs but i find its less consistent

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am UTC

Surprised by how few Sonic Youth albums people seem to have heard. I don't know where I got the impression, but I thought everybody had at least heard the first ten or so.

Also, I have revisited A Thousand Leaves quite a few times, and I am loving it more and more. The only problem is how freaking long it is. Seriously, seventy-five minutes is a long time to spend in Sonic Youth's angry fantasy land.

Daydream Nation > A Thousand Leaves > Sister > NYC Ghosts & Flowers > Dirty > Murray Street > Goo > Washing Machine > The Eternal > EVOL > Confusion Is Sex > Sonic Nurse > Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star > Rather Ripped > Bad Moon Rising

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:37 am UTC

Judging by my opinion of sonic youths albums (2 posts up) can anyone recommend which album i should get next, i actually have no idea

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:45 am UTC

I recommend: Sonic Nurse, then A Thousand Leaves, then Dirty, then all of their other albums in whatever order you please.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:07 pm UTC

1. Daydream Nation
2. Sister
3. Goo

After that it gets a bit difficult, though The Eternal, Dirty, and Rather Ripped are all great. Haven't heard EVOL or any of their other albums.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:I recommend: Sonic Nurse, then A Thousand Leaves, then Dirty, then all of their other albums in whatever order you please.

Thanks! there goes more of my cash

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

whitelightwhiteheat wrote:
6453893 wrote:I recommend: Sonic Nurse, then A Thousand Leaves, then Dirty, then all of their other albums in whatever order you please.

I have to disagree. You don't have Murray St. yet, and that has to be fixed. I reckon it's the apogee of their late sound. It's a really gorgeous album.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:06 am UTC

Dream wrote:
whitelightwhiteheat wrote:

I have to disagree. You don't have Murray St. yet, and that has to be fixed. I reckon it's the apogee of their late sound. It's a really gorgeous album.

OK I'll listen to what i can find of them on youtube and go from there, I'll probably end up with both anyway

Postby 6453893 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:11 am UTC

Karen Revisited is the best song on Murray St., but good luck finding it on Youtube. It's seventeen minutes.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:40 am UTC

I got Sonic Nurse because for some reason Murray Street was 40 bucks (NZD). What i've heard so far is really good, not too sure where it fits into the line up at this point though. And Sonic Youth are now probably my favourite band. Too bad Bob Dylan beats all (IMHO)

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Having found that most Sonic Youth albums are currently only less than a fiver on Play.com, I've been listening to them on Last.fm again to decide which to buy. It confirmed for me that Goo has got to be the one I get next (Mote is fantastic!) - and at £3, the Screaming Fields of Sonic Love compilation has got to be a good way of acquiring a range of their earlier material. Wasn't too impressed with Murray Street after one listen, but as I said before in this thread, Last.fm can't compare to physical media when it comes to really absorbing/familiarising yourself with an album as a whole.

I also had a listen to a few bits from a couple of the SYR albums. Daydream Nation not being streamable on Last.fm probably makes sense from the label's point of view - I doubt they want to just give away the album that probably makes up a good proportion of their income from the band - but it's an amusing contrast with the fact that the site does let you hear stuff like this!

I remembered that the local public library when I was at uni (Nottingham central library) only ever stocked a couple of Sonic Youth albums... one was A Thousand Leaves, and the other (which I never got round to borrowing) was SYR4: Goodbye 20th Century, which were odd choices to say the least!

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:44 am UTC

I'd definitely buy Daydream Nation and Sister as soon as possible--those two are (IMO) the perfect blend of Sonic Youth's noisy, avant-garde side and their more typical punk/rock/indie sounds.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:I'd definitely buy Daydream Nation and Sister as soon as possible

Already got Daydream Nation (see my first post in this thread) - the standard version, not deluxe. Rest assured I'll get round to buying Sister at some point!

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:35 am UTC

Hey Various Varieties - it's really tricky to do this because I only recently got Sonic Nurse, but I'd say Sonic Nurse and EVOL are two really great albums. I'd probably go Goo over Sister as for which to get first but they're both as good as each other. I just listened to Goo first and it probably appeals more quickly.

So far since my last post I've gotten The Eternal (2009), Sister (1987) and Sonic Nurse (2004). I'd write up little review things but I'm kind of in a rush. It's sad though, I'm running out of Sonic Youth albums, I've only got Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr Idols, Bad Moon Rising, NYC Ghosts and Flowers and Murray Street to go.

ChickenGod

Postby ChickenGod » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:44 am UTC

Sonic Youth is epic.

Nothing else to say, they redefined the noise rock genre.

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:45 am UTC

ChickenGod wrote:Sonic Youth is epic.

Nothing else to say

So you haven't heard any full albums, but just downloaded tracks off limewire?

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:20 am UTC

I changed my mind

1. Sister
2. Daydream Nation
3. Sonic Nurse
4. Goo
5. EVOL
6. The Eternal/ Rather Ripped

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:13 am UTC

Okay, new rankings. No massive bios for the songs though, I can't be stuffed writing them. Since the last one, I've gotten The Eternal, Sonic Nurse and Sister.

Argh - can't do it. Keep switching the order around. It's so freaking hard. I'll just put them into tiers or something. Just tried, put them all into tier one. I'm pretty sure everyone else has the same problem, it's so hard, every album is so good. I'll just say that The Eternal and A Thousand Leaves are probably the two closest to the bottom, and for a while Sonic Nurse and EVOL were my tied favourites.

Postby 6453893 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Funny somebody bumped this up again today. I've been listening to the early albums. Both Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising are a lot better than I remembered. I have almost 24 hours of Sonic Youth in my library. When I roll over the 1-day mark I think it will be time for a marathon.

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 am UTC

You serious? I've been planning a marathon forever. Just got to listen to all the albums first. I wait a while between albums but still it shouldn't be too long before I get the last three I need (NYC Ghosts and Flowers, Murray Street and Bad Moon Rising). I'm saving Bad Moon Rising for last because it's got Halloween on it and I've heard the Mudhoney cover of that on the split single they did with Sonic Youth and it's really good. Oh yeah, and I got Confusion Is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols yesterday. It's pretty sweet. I'll have to listen more to get into some of the songs (like the Sonic Youth EP took a while to get used to apart from The Burning Spear which was instantly awesome), but at the moment I'm really liking Inhuman, The World Looks Red and Confusion Is Next.

How the hell did you get over twenty hours? Do you have like The Destroyed Room and the live disc for Daydream Nation and stuff? Wow. But yeah, that'd be so sweet. Listening in chronological order too, like start with the EP and finish with The Eternal. Just to like get the full effect of their evolution (though you've probably done that already XD).

That and I've been listening to Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star a lot again, it's surprising how many people don't like it, I'd go so far as to put it in their top four albums (at the moment they're Sonic Nurse, EVOL, Daydream Nation and Jet Set, but as you probably get as well they change rapidly). But really good albums, I can't believe I missed it the first few times around.

Ermes Marana

Postby Ermes Marana » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

1. EVOL
2. A Thousand Leaves
3. Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols
4. Washing Machine
5. Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star
6. Daydream Nation
7. Sister
8. Bad Moon Rising
9. Goo
10. Dirty

EVOL is the best. Tom Violence -> Shadow of a Doubt -> Star Power to open. The whole album fits so well together, amplifying the effect of already amazing songs. For lack of a better term, I love the mood.

A Thousand Leaves is weird. Hits of Sunshine and Karen Koltrane are more than 20 minutes together, and are my two least favorite songs on the album. But without them, it's 53 minutes of pure magical awesomeness.

Confusion is Sex/Kill Yr. Idols is terrifying. Yet addictive. Turn up the volume and be scared.

Washing Machine is sonic pleasure. The highs are really, really high. No Queen Blues is one of the best sounding tracks I've ever heard. The Diamond Sea, Washing Machine, Panty Lies, and Little Trouble Girl are also massively enjoyable.

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star is fantastic. It's not just Sweet Shine and Bull in the Heather either. I was surprised how much I liked the whole thing when I listened to it for the first time in a while.

Note: I own everything up through Murray Street. Still need Rather Ripped, Sonic Nurse, and The Eternal.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:47 am UTC

Daydream Nation =?= the albums I haven't listened to. Alas.
uhhhh fuck.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Daydream Nation
Dirty
Washing Machine
Sister
Goo

The Destroyed Room (too varied to rank - otherwise the alternate version of The Diamond Sea would be top)

haven't listened to Sonic Youth EP, Sonic Nurse, Rather Ripped or The Eternal enough to rank yet.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

tofofnts

Postby tofofnts » Sat May 11, 2013 5:13 am UTC

Daydream Nation >(not by much) Bad Moon Rising > Evol > Confusion is Sex > Kill yr. Idols Goo > Sister > The Eternal

Return to “Music”