So, Any Of You Play The Guitar?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Guitarist_09

So, Any Of You Play The Guitar?

Postby Guitarist_09 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:30 am UTC

I've been playing for a little over 5 years now, it's really fun. The guitar i mainly use is an ESP LTD Viper 1000-Series.
One of those (it's also the one in my avatar thing :P)
I also have an acoustic made by a company called seagull, It actually has a quite nice sound to it.
My amp is a Peavey Valveking 212, which is really good, i like the tone i can get out of it.

I play alot of rock and metal type stuff. ( I guess it's debatable what you want to call metal, but if you don't think so, just group it in with 'rock'). There's a fair amount of them so i'll put it in a spoiler thingy..
Spoiler:
Afterlife - Avenged Sevenfold
Almost Easy - Avenged Sevenfold
M.I.A. - Avenged Sevenfold
This Could Be Anywhere in the World - Alexisonfire
Seize The Day - Avenged Sevenfold
Scream - Avenged Sevenfold
Beast and the Harlot - Avenged Sevenfold

Falling Down - Atreyu
Slow Burn - Atreyu
Blow - Atreyu
My Fork In The Road (Your Knife In My Back) - Atreyu
The Flood - Escape The Fate
We Won't Back Down - Escape The Fate
Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance
Inside The Fire - Disturbed
Stricken - Disturbed
Haight Street - Anberlin
Whispers In the Dark - Skillet
Savin' Me - Nickelback
Rooftops - Lostprophets
Enter Sandman - Metallica
As I Am - Dream Theater
Forsaken - Dream Theater
Count Yourself In - Ten Second Epic
Eye Of the Storm - Bullet For My Valentine
Burn it to the Ground - Nickelback
I Am The Arsonist - Silverstein
You Should Have Killed Me When You Had the Chance - A Day To Remember
This War Is Ours (The Guillotine pt. II) - Escape the Fate
Welcome Home - Coheed and Cambria
Joker & The Thief - Wolfmother
Pretty Handsome Awkward - The Used
Panic Attack - Dream Theater
There's No Sympathy For The Dead - Escape The Fate
Psychosocial - Slipknot
One-X - Three Days Grace
A Rite of Passage - Dream Theater
Honor - Atreyu
Becoming the Bull -Atreyu
My Apocalypse - Escape The Fate
Photograph - Nickelback
Hero of War - Rise Against

Please don't flame my music tastes ^_^, I bolded the ones that are my favorites to play :P
(those are only full songs, i don't consider myself able to play it unless i can play it all the way through, with the song)

So, XKCD forum guitarists, what can you play? :)

aaron

Re: So, Any Of You Play The Guitar?

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am UTC

i've been playing for about 6 years now, and i find that i can't remember EVERY SINGLE song that i've learned, i have to hear it and remember if i can play it or not haha.

Guitarist_09

Postby Guitarist_09 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Haha cool. I just took those ones off a playlist of songs i can play, i probably missed a couple but yea. whatever lol.

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

Kind of. I have beginner-intermediate-ish skizzlez, and know a lot of theory from playing piano, but don't actually know too many songs, haha. Or maybe I just can't remember the ones I know...I also find that I forget that I know how to play a song until I hear it or think about playing it.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

i've had a guitar for quite a few years now and don't care about learning to play other people's songs. i know enough theory to get by and mostly i just like to make noise-song to satisfy my auditory senses.

hobo: nice pavement av
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Yep, I own an Epi SG and an alhambra nylon string. I've been playing for about 3 years now, mostly funk, jazz and prog rock with the electric and classical with the acoustic. Lately I haven't had much time to practice, which I regret since I can't get a decent sound out of the acoustic now.

here are some videos of me playing :P</attentionwhore>
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Andioje

Postby Andioje » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:40 am UTC

I've been playing guitar for three years now, taking lessons. Would guess I'm about intermediate, more dedicated than most guitar players i've met but not quite skilled enough to say I'm an expert.

My first guitar was a Washburn X Series (With the anarchy symbol), though now I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (Floyd Rose), which is absolutely amazing. Love the sound, even if tuning isn't fun.

I play a lot of the same stuff as OP, including A7x, Rise Against, Metallica, Disturbed. Also some Papa Roach, Shinedown. Recently i've been trying to learn some Instrumental rock to improve skill, such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Paul Gilbert. Anyone else enjoy playing instrumental rock? I actually tend to not learn songs all the way through, which I sometimes regret, but I do know some all the way. I prefer to learn the parts i'm interested in playing so that I can apply the skill to a future song, such as on Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden I learned the opening riff so that I would be able to better play string-changing triplets.

Quick Poll request: Hardest guitar technique? Choices include:
Sweep Picking
Speed Picking
Tapping
Whammy tricks
Pinch Harmonics
Fast solos (That aren't played with tapping or sweep picking, simple notes played very quickly)

Hardest technique for me would definitely be sweep picking, closely followed by fast solos.
"Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Brooks

PM for random conversation, I'll discuss just about anything.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:51 am UTC

Yeah, been plunking away at my guitar for a couple years now, but as I didn't have an instrument forced on my as a child, I know very little in terms of music theory. Any good sites or books and of you could recommend for learning guitar theory, especially chord progression creation and keys?

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:37 am UTC

I'm still nowhere near proficient, but I've learned a few acoustic songs ("Tribute" by Tenacious D, "Under the Bridge" by RHCP, that sort of thing) and a bunch of Metallica rhythm sections, though I still struggle with the solos. Right now I'm trying to learn the three parts to "Fade to Black" - I've got everything pretty much down but the solo. It's always the dang solos that get me. . .

Economy picking is really helping, though. I'll play any stupid song, no matter how trashy, if I feel like I can learn something from it.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:36 am UTC

Andioje wrote:I've been playing guitar for three years now, taking lessons. Would guess I'm about intermediate, more dedicated than most guitar players i've met but not quite skilled enough to say I'm an expert.

My first guitar was a Washburn X Series (With the anarchy symbol), though now I have a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (Floyd Rose), which is absolutely amazing. Love the sound, even if tuning isn't fun.

I play a lot of the same stuff as OP, including A7x, Rise Against, Metallica, Disturbed. Also some Papa Roach, Shinedown. Recently i've been trying to learn some Instrumental rock to improve skill, such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Paul Gilbert. Anyone else enjoy playing instrumental rock? I actually tend to not learn songs all the way through, which I sometimes regret, but I do know some all the way. I prefer to learn the parts i'm interested in playing so that I can apply the skill to a future song, such as on Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden I learned the opening riff so that I would be able to better play string-changing triplets.

Sweep Picking
Speed Picking
Tapping
Whammy tricks
Pinch Harmonics
Fast solos (That aren't played with tapping or sweep picking, simple notes played very quickly)

Hardest technique for me would definitely be sweep picking, closely followed by fast solos.

i have trouble with sweeps to tapping, i don't practice them enough. pinch harmonics are a breeze, same with speed picking. out of what you said though, definitely sweeps

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

I've been playing guitar for... four or five years. But I don't identify as a guitarist, I think of myself as a musician. I don't really care to learn to play other people's songs, it's not that fun anyway. I just use the instrument as a tool to make my recorded songs sound like I want them too. I never really understood the thing people have with being really technically awesome at one instrument and leaving it at that.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:04 pm UTC

Been playing for probably six years, though I've never been particularly obsessed with it. I prefer playing rhythm to lead. I just play for fun, mostly psychedelic noise-rock jams with my friends when they're in town.

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Dingbats wrote:I've been playing guitar for... four or five years. But I don't identify as a guitarist, I think of myself as a musician. I don't really care to learn to play other people's songs, it's not that fun anyway. I just use the instrument as a tool to make my recorded songs sound like I want them too. I never really understood the thing people have with being really technically awesome at one instrument and leaving it at that.

Pretty much the same here. I usually find that either I'm too lazy to learn songs, I'm too lazy to fix bad transcripts, or I'm too lazy to get better at guitar to learn hard songs, so I just jam random stuff.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

I'm going to start playing the guitar in the fall--my school offers a course. After that, I may stick with it if I like it. I don't have much music background--did a year of clarinet in sixth grade, that's it. I really doubt I do very well with it, but I think I'll have fun with it.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I'm going to start playing the guitar in the fall--my school offers a course. After that, I may stick with it if I like it. I don't have much music background--did a year of clarinet in sixth grade, that's it. I really doubt I do very well with it, but I think I'll have fun with it.

The learning curve is pretty brutal at first, so just keep in mind that it's supposed to be that hard and awkward at first.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Ive been playing on and off for a good 3 years. I'd say Im proficient - intermediate. Working on developing a reaaaaally good ear that I was apparently born with, my teacher thinks I could've had perfect pitch if I was exposed to music theory earlier. I had about 4 years of middle school band lessons drilled into my head so I've got theory down. Also in chorus, so I prefer reading sheet music rather than tabs. Play alot of Matthew Sweet, some stuff like AFI, Soundgarden, Thursday, Niel Young, Im really all over the place. My goal is to be able to get Opeth, Carcass, Death, Aborted, and some really technical death metal stuff down, as thats what I mainly listen to.

EDIT- to include the guitar Im playing/ artists.

Generally using my 72' Strat. Japan made. Its seafoam green :D
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 am UTC

oh yeah forgot to mention my equipment:

i have a crappy fender acoustic that came in one of those beginner packages that sounds pretty good. my electric is a late 1960's domino made in japan i think. my research on it has turned up only a little but it's a hollowbody. i bought it from a friend for 25 bucks. i also have an ibanez sdgr bass which i play more than my guitars. that's it for stringed instruments though.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am UTC

I just started taking lessons about 6 months ago, and it's fucking awesome. Mostly post here as a bump so I can keep track of what techniques I need to pick up.

Guitar 2 at this place emphasizes strumming, which seems pretty clutch, ya? But I'm drawn to pretty much everything that can be done on a guitar at this point. I just want to leaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrnnnnn
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:24 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:I'm going to start playing the guitar in the fall--my school offers a course. After that, I may stick with it if I like it. I don't have much music background--did a year of clarinet in sixth grade, that's it. I really doubt I do very well with it, but I think I'll have fun with it.

The learning curve is pretty brutal at first, so just keep in mind that it's supposed to be that hard and awkward at first.

Hopefully the clarinet learning comes in handy, at least. Damn thing took forever, it seemed, to stop squeaking and start making something that could be described as music. That's also why I'm glad I'm starting in a school course--I'll have a motivation to keep going even if I'm disheartened, so may be it'll help me endure the curve.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:09 am UTC

I'm more of a bassist by trade, but I do dabble.

I have a cheap strat knock-off (Eleca is the name, I believe) and an extremely cheap amp.

I can't really play on account of my fingers are too goddamned big, so it's mostly power chords and slide for me. I'm constantly putting it in weird tunings/string configurations just to mess around.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

Andioje wrote:
Sweep Picking
Speed Picking
Tapping
Whammy tricks
Pinch Harmonics

I think fast, ahem, solos and sweeping are tied, the other ones are rather easy in comparison, especially tapping and whammy tricks. Crosspicking is real hard too.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:02 pm UTC

Forgot my amp. Use a 75 watt Vox Valvetronix AD series amp. It is amazing and makes my single coil strat sound like something out of a black metal band. Pure awesome tone.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:06 am UTC

I've been playing for about 6 or 7 years now, and I guess I'm pretty good. I own an ESP LTD EC-1000, an Epiphone Dot, a no-name cheap-ass 3/4 size acoustic, an Ovation acoustic, an Alhambra classical, and an Ibanez RG that I'm selling. I also own a Marshall DSL100 half-stack, which has been loads of fun so far.

I play a mixture of metal, punk, and jazz on electric, a bunch of folk and such things on acoustic, and a good bit of classical. Right now I'm trying to work up my metal chops in terms of speed & sweeping, since I'm in a semi-active metal band right now that needs some more creative energy. I'm also trying to get much better at jazz soloing, which will probably come along since I'm also part of a little jazz group that's just getting off the ground.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Gaydar2000SE

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:20 am UTC

I don't conclude, I just state the facts but err, your name and your avatar seem to valiantly depict the instrument and your fifth post is this thread.
^ :/

Guitarist_09

Postby Guitarist_09 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Andioje wrote:Quick Poll request: Hardest guitar technique? Choices include:
Sweep Picking
Speed Picking
Tapping
Whammy tricks
Pinch Harmonics

Well, personally i find just fast solos to be hard. I actually never found sweep picking to be as hard as everyone says. I'm working on this right now: (pic is in attachment, it's Selkies: The Endless Obsession by Between the Buried and Me). Back to your poll though, pinch harmonics, whammy tricks (i don't even have a whammy bar but i've used them before..), tapping and speed picking are all fairly easy.
Attachments
Picture 1.png
BTBAM solo, screenied from my guitar pro tab.
Picture 1.png (43.76 KiB) Viewed 7822 times

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

I really want to learn, and I might start taking lessons this summer, but I'm not sure yet.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

If you have any musical inclination, and you listen to music that has guitar in it( since people generally want to play what they listen to) do it. I highly doubt you'll regret it.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

I'm scared that I'll end up like some sort of prick who'll start posting bad covers of songs an YouYube and annoying his friends with terribly written songs. It's probably just me, though.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:10 pm UTC

Then do what I do. Don't post shit on youtube, and don't write music. I suck at being creative, but I sure as hell can memorize other's writing.

EDIT- Yay, getting a nicer guitar soon! http://www.edroman.com/guitars/quicksilver.htm

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

for some reason i've never found those guitars to be particularly attractive.

also, do you guys name your guitars? a friend of mine has a name for ALL of his guitars and tells me it's a common practice but i haven't really ever heard anyone else do it.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

no

i say

"that's my taylor. that's my ibanez"

/shrug

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:55 pm UTC

That was very poetic.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

sometimes my posts are
flowery and wonderful
like a christmas ham

Andioje

Postby Andioje » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

To Guitarist_09: Thanks for posting that lick, i'm definitely going to try to learn it now. That looks like it'd sound awesome if you can play it fast and cleanly.

To others: I don't see what's wrong with trying to write music, as long as you know the theory behind it first. I myself am incredibly uncreative, but since i started studying chord and scale theory it's gotten a ton easier to improvise and write music, simply because I know what notes can go well together. Of course i'm not saying just anyone with a guitar should try to write, as I've heard some truly horrendous results of this idea, but learn the theory first and its much easier and better.
"Light a fire for a man, he will be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Brooks

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Hmm I always considered the quilted maple tops to be basically the sex, but that's just me. What sort of guitars do ya'll like?

Homo Electromagneticus

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:32 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:for some reason i've never found those guitars to be particularly attractive.

horisustar wrote:Hmm I always considered the quilted maple tops to be basically the sex, but that's just me. What sort of guitars do ya'll like?

I'm not a particular fan of quilted maple either. As a wood it just looks... unnatural. 'Can't say it's not an eye-catcher, though.

Personally, I'm a fan of any guitar finish that allows you to see the wood grain. Even if it's just a hint of grain on a thinly-painted stratocaster. It's classy.
Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:42 pm UTC

I am partial to Les Paul Customs (In black, of course), hollowbody Epi's, Teles (although I can't stand those baseball bat necks) and White Falcons.
-Ambrose Bierce

ian

Postby ian » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

I really want to try one of these, but being left handed and trying to find one to try out sucks.

Rhombulus

Postby Rhombulus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

For some reason I'm partial to those old jazz acoustics with the f-holes. I've never played on one but I think they just look awesome.
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's own ignorance." - Confucius

"The most powerful weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed" - Steve Biko

http://www.last.fm/user/4x4Grimreaper

Andioje

Postby Andioje » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:01 am UTC

I think quilted maple tops are great, have it on my schecter. By the way, buying a guitar with Mahogany instead of Basswood was the best decision i've ever made when it comes to guitars. Anyone here tried any other woods? I know Steve Vai uses guitars made from a wood other than Mahogany but I can't remember what...

Return to “Music”