So, Any Of You Play The Guitar?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Wednesday

Re: So, Any Of You Play The Guitar?

Postby Wednesday » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

What brand/gauge strings do y'all play on? I just put 8's on my strat, it's...really really nice, but I feel like I'm going to snap them if I try to bend anything.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:10 pm UTC

honestly i don't even really know anything about different strings besides acoustic vs electric
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

My friend uses 9's. His upper strings don't break on bends, but he breaks the lower ones from strumming too hard, cause that's where one does most of the (power) chord stuff. They used to break at the saddle but he attacked that with a file, so now it's set. He switched to heavy bottoms for E-A-D. G-B-E is still 9's-thickness.

Which brings me to my main point: I don't think you'll break very many strings doing bends, so don't trip about that. I do think you'll be more likely to break the lower strings by just standard playing.

If I played guitar, I'd want to have 13s and be like Stevie Ray Vaughan. And then I'd dissolve cocaine into my whiskey as a morning pick-me-up.
Of course, I play bass and use thin-gauge 45's. Only five times more diameter!
uhhhh fuck.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:38 am UTC

I don't know what gauge strings I use, just whatever comes stock standard on an 80 buck beginners acoustic.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:15 am UTC

I use D'addario 10's. I used to use 9's but they broke sometimes.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

I use 10s for all of my guitars.
Except the SG, I use 11s for the deeper tone.
Spoiler:

jameswilliamroy

Postby jameswilliamroy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

I play basses and torture guitars.

I gig with a Fender Jazz Bass Special with EMGs, through a late sixties Ampeg B15n.
I record with that, and a midsixties Danelectro shorthorn.

For guitars, I usually play a Silvertone 1457 through either the case amp or a Silvertone 1474. Be jealous.

I sometimes play a midsixties Danelectro convertible, and sometimes a Danelectro 90's reissue.

You can hear the Silvertones and Danos at http://www.thejamesrocket.com and you can hear the Fender/Peggy combo at http://www.abunchofgirls.com.

sam.rem

Postby sam.rem » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years now, and two years professionally.

I've worked in the studio and am trying to get more work as a session musician and maybe as a guitar teacher to help pay for, well, everything. :P

Here's a link to a recent video me and my band made (I'm the singer/guitarist that solos second):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCSBKBR_bX4

I play a JM Signature Fender Stratocaster, run it through a Fender Blues Junior (in that video I'm using the house amp) and use two pedals: BOSS TU-1 and BOSS DS-1. D'addario light gauge (with the orange circle on the box).

I'm heavily blues-rock influenced, but I consider myself more of a jazz-fusion guitarist.
I don't read over the stuff I type on forums. It's mostly just a stream of consciousness. Sorry.

Sam and Luke
Follow me on Twitter!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

oh man, i don't even think i mentioned any of my pedals. i don't always really use them for guitar persay, but these are my babies:

boss SD - 1 super overdrive
boss PH - 2 super phaser
boss PS - 5 super shifter
line 6 delay modeler (the big green one)
MXR blue box (overdrive + lowers by 2 octaves. IT IS CRAZY)

i use most of these plus my crappy 8 track mixer to make some sweet effects on anything i can think of. i just got the super shifter and i am SO PLEASED with it's performance. i spent most of last night making loops with it and messing around. i really want a boss DL -4 or whatever number they're up to now. my music making friend has one and i love the crazy crap you can do with it that i can't do with my line 6 (despite having like 16 functions). i would probably like some more fuzz pedals too, just for hahas. i am by no means a talented musician, and i love to hide behind awesome effects.

sam.rem

Postby sam.rem » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:47 pm UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:oh man, i don't even think i mentioned any of my pedals. i don't always really use them for guitar persay, but these are my babies:
[ . . .]

How is that blue box? I'm really interested in investing in some octave modulators. I was gonna go for the Boss OC-3 (Super Octave), because I've found that I prefer higher tones than lower ones, but how easy is it to hear the two octaves lower?
I don't read over the stuff I type on forums. It's mostly just a stream of consciousness. Sorry.

Sam and Luke
Follow me on Twitter!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:51 pm UTC

it's insanely hard to hear on the low notes but the high notes come in crystal clear and fuzzy as hell. if you have trouble hearing the notes over the fuzz, the best thing to do is just turn down the mix knob a bit (which is a nice feature to have on a pedal that does a crazy thing). the other knob is a gain knob which also can help for leveling out the fuzz.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:00 am UTC

scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:it's insanely hard to hear on the low notes but the high notes come in crystal clear and fuzzy as hell. if you have trouble hearing the notes over the fuzz, the best thing to do is just turn down the mix knob a bit (which is a nice feature to have on a pedal that does a crazy thing). the other knob is a gain knob which also can help for leveling out the fuzz.

Maybe turn up the "Bass/Low" on the amp?
Or turn down the "Treble/High"?
Spoiler:

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:
scrt_rbt_agnt wrote:it's insanely hard to hear on the low notes but the high notes come in crystal clear and fuzzy as hell. if you have trouble hearing the notes over the fuzz, the best thing to do is just turn down the mix knob a bit (which is a nice feature to have on a pedal that does a crazy thing). the other knob is a gain knob which also can help for leveling out the fuzz.

Maybe turn up the "Bass/Low" on the amp?
Or turn down the "Treble/High"?

um. duh. i'm not a beginner.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:08 am UTC

My friend desires a Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

Hilarious name aside (the brand is Way Huge, the pedal is called "Swollen Pickle"), I've heard it's a really good fuzz pedal. Have any of you ever experienced it?

As a bassist, I admit that I don't need much sides some fuzz and some reverb/delay. I always think chorus on bass sounds too... watery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKp_3aIeiSI Like that. I dunno what effect that is, but it sounds chorusy. and watery.Bass should sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrav_MSMjNs

Also all the members of SMV are my gods. I want stanley clarke's Alembic. I would engage in ritual animal sacrifice to get a 20k+ alembic.
uhhhh fuck.

drghost

Postby drghost » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Got my first guitar in the summer of '03.
It was a squier electric; I upgraded to an ESP LTD Viper-50.
I have an acoustic Washburn that I picked up at Sam Ash for $200 or so.
It sounds ok to me, but as long as it's in tune, I can't tell the difference between "good" or "bad" tone.

It's only a hobby.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:24 am UTC

I recently tuned my guitar to F#F#F#F#EB (i love sonic youth) and i was wondering if somebody could help me with chord shapes that are useable in this tuning. I'm feeling kinda limited atm lol

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:39 am UTC

try making some up. also, use scales to come up with chord shapes that will be "correct" anyway. if you love sonic youth you're probably looking for something that sounds dissonant and crazy, so yeah. try making some up.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:34 am UTC

So I'm trying to write songs, and I can come up with a melody alright, but I'm having troubles with getting chords to go along with it. The problem being, I never really bothered with music theory, and just playing an A chord doesn't always match an A note, if you get that. So, if any of you guys could give me, like a crash course in chord construction for dummies I'm pretty sure I would be obliged to love you forever. Or something of equal value.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:02 am UTC

when i can't find a "regular" chord to match what i want, i often use power chords. they're a perfect fifth so they're reliable.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 pm UTC

That they are. This is a good idea, but if I'm looking for variation, then...?

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

try using a different instrument. if guitar chords don't sound right, try some piano/keyboard chords. if you don't have one available, you can get a decent kids keyboard at any toy store or walmart or something for less than 20 dollars. they usually have some pretty good sounds and sometimes even headphone outputs so you can go direct-in or through some pedals to beef up the sound. i do this all the time. i own 3 toy keyboards for this very reason. one is pink.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:28 am UTC

drghost wrote:Got my first guitar in the summer of '03.
It was a squier electric; I upgraded to an ESP LTD Viper-50.
I have an acoustic Washburn that I picked up at Sam Ash for $200 or so.
It sounds ok to me, but as long as it's in tune, I can't tell the difference between "good" or "bad" tone.

It's only a hobby.

Good tone and bad tone is very very subjective. Bad tone is a catchall term which can include, say, a lack of clarity and definition--ie muddy. It can also mean that the distortion on something is really thin and "fizzy" sounding, instead of rich/thick--which usually means only the highs are getting distorted. I dunno. But tone is so variable.
(Somehow manage to) listen to something through a Marshall, a Peavey 6505, a Mesa-Boogie Mark V, a Marshall MG, and a line 6 Spyder. The first three are all high standards of good tone. They all sound very different though (of course, the Marshall is overdriven in a vintage led zeppelin way, the 6505 is very metal, and the mark V... covers all bases). Whatever you're listening to/playing will sound WORSE through the Marshall MG and the Spyder. They're solid state, they don't sound as good. They also sound different, but universally bad, much like the first three all sound different but universally good.

The thing is, all cheap amps are solid state. Solid state is hated on by the guitar community because solid state amplification doesn't sound as good as vacuum tube amplification.
When tubes are used, the cleans are very crystally and nice, but the key difference is when the two amplification systems are overdriven. Tube amps, when overdriven, don't JUST enhance/overdrive the fundamental sound, but also fuzz up (and to the general guitar community, beautify) the harmonics and overtones. That makes the distortion pleasant to the ear, very smooth. This is a "Warm" sound.
Solid state amps.. hell I don't know how their overdrive works. I'm guessing it's just clipping, which is a very "cold" and digital (instead of the almighty Analogue) sound compared to tubes.

THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WILL (or, for that matter, should) NOTICE OR, MORE IMPORTANTLY, CARE ABOUT. Until you've got thousands to drop on a Vox AC-30 or something, good tone is usually achieved with (for distortion) good pedals, and for clean stuff, a good EQ. Equalization is the greatest thing ever for making guitars sound awesome.

My gold standard of tone, though, is Jimmy Page's guitar on the Zep song Whole Lotta Love. The sound of a Les Paul going through a Marshall stack is brilliant. No effects, dun need em.
uhhhh fuck.

sam.rem

Postby sam.rem » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:So I'm trying to write songs, and I can come up with a melody alright, but I'm having troubles with getting chords to go along with it. The problem being, I never really bothered with music theory, and just playing an A chord doesn't always match an A note, if you get that. So, if any of you guys could give me, like a crash course in chord construction for dummies I'm pretty sure I would be obliged to love you forever. Or something of equal value.

I'm self-taught when it comes to theory, but I can try and help, seeing as I usually follow this method when I write songs. :P

The first thing you'll want to do is find out what key your melody is in. From there, there are 7 base chords that you can choose from, those being I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii dim. (capital letters correspond to major chords, and lower-case correspond to minor. The 'dim' means diminished chord).

Generally, melodies can be supported by any of the chords that fall under the above-listed pattern. So if your melody is in C major, your chords will generally be either C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, or Bdim.

If you're able to find a power chord that works well with a melody note, try matching it with a major chord or a minor chord. One usually sounds better than the other (:P) and that one usually matches one of the chords in the pattern listed above.

If you want to make it even more fancy, you could try embellishing chords by changing one or two notes. For example, if a C major chord is working well for you, you might want to try a Cmaj7 chord and see what happens.

A great site for finding chords and using chords is
http://jguitar.com/

I use it all the time.

If you need further help / clarification, just let me know. ^^

Sam and Luke
Follow me on Twitter!

HippieJohn

Postby HippieJohn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:09 am UTC

I've been playing for almost 3 years now. I have a few guitars, but my favourite is my Mitchell 12-string. I use martin strings on it. On my electrics I use super slinkys

Phill

Postby Phill » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:57 am UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:So I'm trying to write songs, and I can come up with a melody alright, but I'm having troubles with getting chords to go along with it. The problem being, I never really bothered with music theory, and just playing an A chord doesn't always match an A note, if you get that. So, if any of you guys could give me, like a crash course in chord construction for dummies I'm pretty sure I would be obliged to love you forever. Or something of equal value.

It wouldn't hurt to learn a few basics of music theory.

Try going through the tutorials on this site. It will be worth it in the long run!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 am UTC

Thanks a lot for your guys help! You pulled me out of a sticky spot there, and I can keep going with this song now. Top 40, here I come! :P

But in all seriousness, thanks for the help there, and I'll be sure to check out those tuts Phill - they look very useful.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

I think we need a discussion on alternate tunings.
One of my Guitars (the better one) is in F#F#F#F#EB. Love this tuning
Some craphouse guitar i borrowed off my mate is in GGDDD#D#. Sounds awesome even just open.
Anyone else change their tunings? aside from the usual drop d and Eb?
The guy at the Rock Shop (local music store) said i was the only one who comes in saying they do this sort of stuff lol cos it's normally just kids into metal drop d-ing them haha. good times

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am UTC

I use alternate tunings sometimes, especially on the acoustic.

Drop D is fun
Double-dropped D is fun. DADGBD
From there, I go to open G: DGDGBD
Or open D minor: DADFAD
Or open D major: DADF#AD

And there are plenty of interesting sounds dropping the low E to C and trying to get an open tuning from that.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:59 am UTC

just dropping in to let everyone know that i got a peavey 5150 eddie van halen signature amplifier today :D (i know a linked a 6505, but they're essentially the same except mine was made sometime in the 90s)

my mom's coworker was cleaning the house in prep for a baby, and they needed to get rid of her husband's guitar stuff since he doesn't play anymore. so she called up my mom, my mom called me up and i went and picked it up this afternoon. the clean is great, and it's a definite upgrade from my old MG series marshall solid-state. i'm pretty sure this amp is going to get me into playing guitar again.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 am UTC

I've got an Odessa acoustic a college roommate left behind a few years ago. Before that, I lived in a place where the previous renter left behind a banjo. I've still got it, but don't play it much anymore since the very narrow strings hurt my finger tips after awhile. I've been trying to get back into it to learn the mandolin solo from Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, but that's kind of hard, and I'm not very good.

I find tuning to be a big enough pain to not use alternate tunings. The less mucking about with the pegs I have to do, the better. Is dropping the low E to C just to hit lower notes, or to get weird sounds out of looser strings? Have you considered buying a pack of 7-strings and leaving out the high e? You'd then start at B-E-A-D-G-b. Replacing the high e with the thicker low B will put extra tension on the neck, but if you're going to loosen the strings to an even lower key anyway, that probably won't be a problem.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Guiro

Postby Guiro » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I do play guitar. I haven't messed around with alternate tunings that much though, but I've enjoyed the few experiences I've had. My main guitar is an Epiphone Masterbilt 500R, but I've been going back to electric this break with my Fender Strat.

http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/images/product/2866/P_2866_S00.jpg

Schmut

Postby Schmut » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 am UTC

I am very much just a beginner at guitar. Following free guitar tutorials from this site: http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/. I'm also learning piano from another series of tutorials which go much more into musical theory. Between the two, I think I'm doing a lot better than I would be had I only been learning the one instrument.

I learnt to play Wonderwall by Oasis and A Thousand Trees by the Stereophonics from some tabs I downloaded last year but I'm no longer interested in learning by those means - never really understanding chords, scales, notes or anything. It's fun just to know a couple of songs I can play when the standard drills and technical trainings get a bit tiresome.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there may be any other recommendations for online tutorials from you guys. I've made a note of musictheory.net, mentioned up the page, but the piano lessons are doing pretty well at covering musical theory and are currently teaching me sheet music very effectively. Any resources that would teach me a little about how guitar chords are translated to a sheet of music would be good. Can't think what else I might need to learn that I don't feel I'm already receiving but if there's any advice you can offer a musical-fresher such as myself, it would be appreciated. As of today, I begin practising daily and hopefully I should see myself improving swiftly but if you've any motivational words, I doubt they'd go amiss.

Furburt

Postby Furburt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Yes, I play guitar, bass guitar, Keyboards and program drum machines.

I've been playing guitar the longest, since about age 13. I have a Fender Telecaster and a vintage Fender Stratocaster. I have Dysphraxia, so I'm not the best, but I typically play rhythm as opposed to lead. Not great at solos.

However, I imagine I'll get better over time.
Ireland unfree shall never be at peace-Patrick Pearse, 1915.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm UTC

I don't play the guitar.

I shred it.

But really, I love my guitars. I have been playing maybe 4 years or so, and I've never bothered to do any fancy stuff like learning how to read standard notation and the like. I usually use tabs and my ears to learn new songs, and I write my music down in tab for in Guitar Pro. I'm halfway decent at music theory (I know my modes and what notes go to what common scales and what chords to use) and I think I'm pretty good at writing music.

I am in a band and stuff. Hamerex. We are very metal. \m/
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:54 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
I am in a band and stuff. Hamerex. We are very metal. \m/

Metal like cannibal corpse is metal or like how led zeppelin was considered metal?
uhhhh fuck.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Neither. Metal like a band that is influenced by Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Machine Head and Metallica, amongst others.

I say very metal to mean that we EMBODY METAL. RAWR.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:05 am UTC

bruce dickinson meets thrash? me like.
uhhhh fuck.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 pm UTC

Hm. I'd kind of put it the other way around. Growlier vocals with Maiden-esque guitars. There's one heavier tracks and some lighter ones. Our new E.P. should be on iTunes shortly.

Return to “Music”