Favorite piece of classical music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
CivilDefense700
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:54 am UTC
Location: In ur nucular reactor, stealin ur Uraniums

Favorite piece of classical music

Postby CivilDefense700 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:08 am UTC

This is the place to share your favorite piece or pieces of classical music with others and why you enjoy them.

Mine would have to be a tie between la Musica Notturna Delle Strade di Madrid and Pachelbel's Canon.

While the first is very light and quick and can put me in the most cheerful mood, Pachelbel is one of the most soothing and relaxing pieces I have heard. This summer I got into my Grandfather's collection of records and after listening to what I thing is the best version of it I am definitly leaning towards the canon as my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wbR4khDqXA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZHw9uyj81g
"I happen to have access to one of the sexiest lasers on the eastern seaboard."

Image

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 am UTC

Define 'classical'.

mickyj300x
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby mickyj300x » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:03 am UTC

6453893 wrote:Define 'classical'.

Judging from the OP's post, it's all Western Art music. So, everything from Renaissance music to the Avant-garde non-rock composers of today (Terry Riley, Brian Ferneyhough, Michael Finnissy etc.) and everything defined as Western Art music. If you're still not sure, ask Wikipedia.
As for relevance, I have no favourite piece, but a different favourite piece every now and again. As for now:
Reubke - Sonata on the 94th psalm. Cannot get enough of this, especially the finale.
Linky link, p1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szAaL-LS ... re=related
Linky link, p2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFrKUk5l ... annel_page

User avatar
ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:30 am UTC
Location: 19T526268 4971339 (NAD 83)

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby ivnja » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Gustav Holst's Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity from The Planets. As a french horn player, I really enjoyed performing the segment that in this recording goes from 2:54 to 4:40

Pachelbel's Canon fans (I'm one too) might appreciate Pachelbel Rant
Hi you.
she/her

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 am UTC

mickyj300x wrote:
6453893 wrote:Define 'classical'.

Judging from the OP's post, it's all Western Art music. So, everything from Renaissance music to the Avant-garde non-rock composers of today (Terry Riley, Brian Ferneyhough, Michael Finnissy etc.) and everything defined as Western Art music. If you're still not sure, ask Wikipedia.
Even sharper, clearly the poster as so many people refer to 'common practice', roughly the 1600s-1900s focal style of western art music. 'Classical music' is a hideous misnomer any way, it has nothing to do with either 'classical' or 'classicism', and to make it worse, there is a 'classicism' in it, furthering confusion. I doubt Bach called what he made 'classical music' too, it's laden with ignorance. 'common practice' is the best term as 'art music' or 'serious music' by various definitions also includes for instance 20th-century serious music and 21th-century experimental music amongst (strange) things like musique-concrete and lowercase.

Pachebel's Canon eh... 'Punk music is a joke, it's really just baroque'? Any way, you guys need some schreklichkeit of da TREN

Also: Herbst9
^ :/

mickyj300x
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby mickyj300x » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:58 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Even sharper, clearly the poster as so many people refer to 'common practice', roughly the 1600s-1900s focal style of western art music. 'Classical music' is a hideous misnomer any way, it has nothing to do with either 'classical' or 'classicism', and to make it worse, there is a 'classicism' in it, furthering confusion. I doubt Bach called what he made 'classical music' too, it's laden with ignorance. 'common practice' is the best term as 'art music' or 'serious music' by various definitions also includes for instance 20th-century serious music and 21th-century experimental music amongst (strange) things like musique-concrete and lowercase.

Pachebel's Canon eh... 'Punk music is a joke, it's really just baroque'? Any way, you guys need some schreklichkeit of da TREN

Also: Herbst9


I suppose. But I like to keep thinking of the entire spectrum, not just the common practice era.
The Penderecki piece was really something else. i like it.
And I totally agree on the "art music common practice" thing. Perhaps if the title were edited to include these things in brackets as to not drive off people who don't know the terms "art music" or "common practice", but also cater to those who do.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:03 am UTC

mickyj300x wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:Even sharper, clearly the poster as so many people refer to 'common practice', roughly the 1600s-1900s focal style of western art music. 'Classical music' is a hideous misnomer any way, it has nothing to do with either 'classical' or 'classicism', and to make it worse, there is a 'classicism' in it, furthering confusion. I doubt Bach called what he made 'classical music' too, it's laden with ignorance. 'common practice' is the best term as 'art music' or 'serious music' by various definitions also includes for instance 20th-century serious music and 21th-century experimental music amongst (strange) things like musique-concrete and lowercase.

Pachebel's Canon eh... 'Punk music is a joke, it's really just baroque'? Any way, you guys need some schreklichkeit of da TREN

Also: Herbst9


I suppose. But I like to keep thinking of the entire spectrum, not just the common practice era.
The Penderecki piece was really something else. i like it.
And I totally agree on the "art music common practice" thing. Perhaps if the title were edited to include these things in brackets as to not drive off people who don't know the terms "art music" or "common practice", but also cater to those who do.
Well, I might be wrong. But it seems reasonable to assume that the term 'classical music' for it only surfaced very lately, as I don't seem them calling themselves that, and it's a blatant misnomer of course. I guess it's some thing ignorant people first called it as pop and jazz and all came on the rise, and finally was also adopted. A lot of people don't really put it in the historical context and think that 'classical music' was the normal music of that day.

Also, by various standards of today, common practice really no longer qualifies as art music, since music recording it has become more of a hedonistic pleasure. 20th-century style can be more endeavourous of course, Mahler and Bartok are quite hard to digest. Also, too many people think that every thing with pianoforti and violins makes 'classical music'.

It's currently mostly a form of relaxionation music, the few good pieces from the 'great composers' like Die Große Fuge are seldom appreciated, it's mostly the relaxation music that is uninspired like Moonlight Sonata.

I still stick with Herbst9.
^ :/

mickyj300x
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby mickyj300x » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:Also, by various standards of today, common practice really no longer qualifies as art music, since music recording it has become more of a hedonistic pleasure. 20th-century style can be more endeavourous of course, Mahler and Bartok are quite hard to digest. Also, too many people think that every thing with pianoforti and violins makes 'classical music'.

It's currently mostly a form of relaxionation music, the few good pieces from the 'great composers' like Die Große Fuge are seldom appreciated, it's mostly the relaxation music that is uninspired like Moonlight Sonata.

I still stick with Herbst9.


Hmm, well, different people have different tastes. Define "uninspired".
I agree with you on Die Große Fuge. I suppose that art music is music made for the art of it, so, some art music pieces today could just be written for the money of the commission, and some pieces back in the Romantic & Classical periods could have the same stance. It's a very poorly-named genre of music, and needs some serious name overhauls.
I find Mahler and Bartók relatively easy to digest, as my ears have been attuned to the music of Xenakis and Ferneyhough. Although, when i did start first learning Bartók pieces, they did sound incredibly dissonant.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:46 am UTC

mickyj300x wrote:Hmm, well, different people have different tastes. Define "uninspired".
Hard one of course, it's a subjective concept, but Moonlight is of course quite ready made in theory. It starts with a minor chord and a bass line which is the bottom note of the chord under it which after two measures is lowered two semitones, surely this is the oldest trick in the book?
I agree with you on Die Große Fuge. I suppose that art music is music made for the art of it, so, some art music pieces today could just be written for the money of the commission, and some pieces back in the Romantic & Classical periods could have the same stance. It's a very poorly-named genre of music, and needs some serious name overhauls.
Well, common practice musicians did not enjoy a large artistic freedom of course, they were commissioned to make a certain piece and often did not enjoy the finished result themselves. Like today's pop stars, slaves of the labels they were. As I said in the souppot thread, essentially most of them did trial-and-error like Metallica, just try out and see if it sounds right, the difference is that they had to learn how every chord and interval sounds in their head, and Metallica didn't. It's quite noticeable that a lot of common practice works are really not that much thought of to reach a goal and rather the product of natural selection if you like.
I find Mahler and Bartók relatively easy to digest, as my ears have been attuned to the music of Xenakis and Ferneyhough. Although, when i did start first learning Bartók pieces, they did sound incredibly dissonant.
I never had a problem with dissonance though, or even notes outside the chromatic scale. I'm 'blessed' with a completely relative hearing, the interval of A1 and A3 is not discernible for me from A1 and B3, after al, it's only two semitones apart on 2 octaves? Personally, I think sticking into heptatonic scales is a limit and a testament to that people often react bad to things they simply aren't used to. A pianoforte is a limited instrument because it cannot reach the pitches between the notes of western music.

Xenakis is also quite random of course, but some of his creations sound quite good. Had you ever heard of 'Devil Doll', the quasi-20th-century outlet by one 'Mr. Doctor'?
^ :/

mickyj300x
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby mickyj300x » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:41 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:I never had a problem with dissonance though, or even notes outside the chromatic scale. I'm 'blessed' with a completely relative hearing, the interval of A1 and A3 is not discernible for me from A1 and B3, after al, it's only two semitones apart on 2 octaves? Personally, I think sticking into heptatonic scales is a limit and a testament to that people often react bad to things they simply aren't used to. A pianoforte is a limited instrument because it cannot reach the pitches between the notes of western music.

Xenakis is also quite random of course, but some of his creations sound quite good. Had you ever heard of 'Devil Doll', the quasi-20th-century outlet by one 'Mr. Doctor'?

No I haven't. I'll look it up.
One of my favourite Xenakis moments has to be the motions at the start of Evryali. It almost gives an idea of what his music would be like if he composed using more accepted techniques, rather than mathematical models.
Oh, and the insane brass section solo in Synaphai.
I've always found non-12 tone scales to be fascinating. Plenty of untapped potential there.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:01 am UTC

mickyj300x wrote:One of my favourite Xenakis moments has to be the motions at the start of Evryali. It almost gives an idea of what his music would be like if he composed using more accepted techniques, rather than mathematical models
Oh, and the insane brass section solo in Synaphai..
I have to plead ignorance into these finer recesses of Xenakis though, I never that thoroughly researched it.
I've always found non-12 tone scales to be fascinating. Plenty of untapped potential there.
Well, mind needs to adapt in most cases, people with an 'absolute ear' have immense trouble listening to them. As my hearing is completely relative, I never really shared this confinement luckily. Perhaps you should try Raison d'Être for a good example of this. Personally, I tend to feature a lot of dissonance and off-note frequencies in various works, some people describing it as one melody having two distinct emotions over each other.
^ :/

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:58 pm UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:
mickyj300x wrote:Hmm, well, different people have different tastes. Define "uninspired".
Hard one of course, it's a subjective concept, but Moonlight is of course quite ready made in theory. It starts with a minor chord and a bass line which is the bottom note of the chord under it which after two measures is lowered two semitones, surely this is the oldest trick in the book?


Whoa there. Just because a certain technique is ubiquitous doesn't mean it is uninspired. With that type of thinking, almost the entire catalog of western music is "uninspired" to some degree.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:
mickyj300x wrote:Hmm, well, different people have different tastes. Define "uninspired".
Hard one of course, it's a subjective concept, but Moonlight is of course quite ready made in theory. It starts with a minor chord and a bass line which is the bottom note of the chord under it which after two measures is lowered two semitones, surely this is the oldest trick in the book?


Whoa there. Just because a certain technique is ubiquitous doesn't mean it is uninspired. With that type of thinking, almost the entire catalog of western music is "uninspired" to some degree.
Sherlock®

You know that a computer program can write Moonlight or some thing similar right? And further more, that I could probably make that myself? Moonlight is really just applying the first things you learn in composing classes, essentially a deaf person that has never heard and has no concept of music can make it. And no, Beethoven was still quite able to hear when he made it. It's like following a basic flowchart + random generator, writing Moonlight.
^ :/

User avatar
Smiling Hobo
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Smiling Hobo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

Well, if his stuff is formulaic, it's definitely a good formula, because Beethoven's sonatas are some of my favorite pieces of the classical era. But, if you look at it, almost all music is formulaic to some extent, isn't it?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Bassoon
Posts: 476
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:58 pm UTC
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Bassoon » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 am UTC

Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. As a bassoon player, I am obliged to love all four movements of this piece. I also enjoy Dvorak's Ninth Symphony (or the New World Symphony) but I find that it doesn't have a wide dynamic variation, so I don't like it as much as Scheherazade. Moving along into the modern times, I really enjoy Frank Ticheli's American Elegy.

User avatar
kaniman2
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:18 am UTC
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby kaniman2 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:52 am UTC

ivnja wrote:Pachelbel's Canon fans (I'm one too) might appreciate Pachelbel Rant

OK, I'm completely ignoring everything else in this thread and I know that this is incredibly off topic and since I know that I shouldn't post this but I will anyway because I feel like it and (my) teenage impulses always trumps everything else.

Anyway, it kinda sucks to play any low (bass or lower) instrument in a band, because since you're the bass line sometimes you only play the same four quarter notes over and over again without a break or play a few notes and then rest for sixteen or sixty four bars. I don't actually play any bass instruments but I hear others complain a lot and I've seen the sheets.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

User avatar
Sasha
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:26 pm UTC
Location: The REAL wild wild west. At 7000 feet.
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Sasha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:19 am UTC

Der Ring des Nibelungen.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

casiguapa
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby casiguapa » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 am UTC

one of my favourites currently would have to be Harold en Italie First Movement by Hector Berlioz.
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:58 pm UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:52 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:
mickyj300x wrote:Hmm, well, different people have different tastes. Define "uninspired".
Hard one of course, it's a subjective concept, but Moonlight is of course quite ready made in theory. It starts with a minor chord and a bass line which is the bottom note of the chord under it which after two measures is lowered two semitones, surely this is the oldest trick in the book?


Whoa there. Just because a certain technique is ubiquitous doesn't mean it is uninspired. With that type of thinking, almost the entire catalog of western music is "uninspired" to some degree.
Sherlock®

You know that a computer program can write Moonlight or some thing similar right? And further more, that I could probably make that myself? Moonlight is really just applying the first things you learn in composing classes, essentially a deaf person that has never heard and has no concept of music can make it. And no, Beethoven was still quite able to hear when he made it. It's like following a basic flowchart + random generator, writing Moonlight.


Well yeah, but hell, you can make Band in a Box solo over complex chord changes and it sounds half decent. But there's still an element of human inspiration missing from it. Moonlight has a human touch to it that makes it (at least to me) more than formulaic. And i mean, pretty much any western music apart from the 20th century atonal/serialism traditions has some element of what you're talking about. I don't see it as a problem, though.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 am UTC

I think the St Matthew Passion, or the Art of Fugue, or Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. I can't really say, there's so many incredible pieces.

Also, the moonlight sonata is beautiful, what are you on about?

And Ferneyhough sucks. There, I said it, he SUCKS.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Indeed. Who cares how it is made as long as it is beautiful?

An album made purely out of tape loops is even lazier than writing the Moonlight Sonata by your proposed formula, and these albums can be as haunting and inspiring as any classical composure.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:04 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:Well, if his stuff is formulaic, it's definitely a good formula, because Beethoven's sonatas are some of my favorite pieces of the classical era. But, if you look at it, almost all music is formulaic to some extent, isn't it?
Sure, most music then again sucks. The 'emotions' in most common practice music are plastic, forced and artificial, it's as if you're looking at Darth Vader from Revenge of the Sith being 'angry'. Point of the matter is also that Mozart and Beethoven and Bach were quite bitter and angry people, but cheesy tender music like Sonata is what the public wanted and what they had to make thus (Various [who] sources claiming that the Requiem in D-minor is the only piece where Mozart could be himself.), they applied the limited understanding of theory available then, thus, it sounds quite forced and artificial.
saxmaniac1987 wrote:Well yeah, but hell, you can make Band in a Box solo over complex chord changes and it sounds half decent. But there's still an element of human inspiration missing from it. Moonlight has a human touch to it that makes it (at least to me) more than formulaic. And i mean, pretty much any western music apart from the 20th century atonal/serialism traditions has some element of what you're talking about. I don't see it as a problem, though.
Except.. it sounds like shit?

People with a more evolved sense of music like us in the 24th century—Picard reference do intended—can clearly hear just how bad it sounds. But then again, I always found it extremely simple to spot of people are lying or faking an emotion in facial expressions too.

It's essentially very cheesy, very plastic, very artificial.
6453893 wrote:Indeed. Who cares how it is made as long as it is beautiful?

An album made purely out of tape loops is even lazier than writing the Moonlight Sonata by your proposed formula, and these albums can be as haunting and inspiring as any classical composure.
An opportunity for a hattrick of elitism people... he passes all defences... he looks the keeper into the eyes.. he shoots.... he shooooots, HEEE MISSSEEEES!!!,

I explained it enough already. It doesn't sound good, is the point.
^ :/

User avatar
Smiling Hobo
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:17 am UTC

OK...what kind of music displays genuine emotion and doesn't suck, then?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

mickyj300x
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 am UTC
Location: New Zealand

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby mickyj300x » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:30 am UTC

ChocloManx wrote:I think the St Matthew Passion, or the Art of Fugue, or Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun, or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.

And Ferneyhough sucks. There, I said it, he SUCKS.


I agree. My ears have attuned to the dissonances, but I still don't listen to his music if I can help it. It bores me.
And
ChocloManx wrote: or Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.


ChocloManx wrote: Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.


I think I love you.
2nd mvt has to be my favourite.

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:OK...what kind of music displays genuine emotion and doesn't suck, then?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Classical music speaking you might want to try Elend and Mahler, because it sounds insane and duplicit. And also this little cliché.

But common practice and 20th century serious music is usually the wrong place to search for lively emotions, what you need is Amesoeurs and Reflexions in Time.
^ :/

User avatar
Smiling Hobo
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:00 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:
Smiling Hobo wrote:OK...what kind of music displays genuine emotion and doesn't suck, then?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Classical music speaking you might want to try Elend and Mahler, because it sounds insane and duplicit. And also this little cliché.

But common practice and 20th century serious music is usually the wrong place to search for lively emotions, what you need is Amesoeurs and Reflexions in Time.

Alright...the first song was interesting, I guess, but didn't really envoke too many emotions, except pain in my ears. Maybe it was supposed to be a soundscape of war and death and suffering or something, but I didn't really enjoy it. The Mahler one I actually liked a lot, but I don't see how it's any more emotional or original than Beethoven, Mozart, or Chopin.

As for the more contemporary stuff...I actually liked that Amesoeurs stuff. I might check out more of it. However, it seemed pretty generic to me...driving drum backbeat, catchy lead guitar melody/intro, and pretty, longing female vocals...it's good and catchy, sure, but I saw you say in another thread how Sigur Ros is "bad post rock", and I don't really get how this band is any more emotionally charged or awesome than they are. And I didn't really get The Reflections in Time guys.

I suppose to each his own, but I don't get how Moonlight Sonata sucks and is devoid of emotion and is just a shitty formula while these bands/artists are the living embodiment of originality and passion.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:05 am UTC

Gaydar2000SE wrote:I explained it enough already. It doesn't sound good, is the point.


[citation needed]

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:09 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:Alright...the first song was interesting, I guess, but didn't really envoke too many emotions, except pain in my ears. Maybe it was supposed to be a soundscape of war and death and suffering or something, but I didn't really enjoy it. The Mahler one I actually liked a lot, but I don't see how it's any more emotional or original than Beethoven, Mozart, or Chopin.

As for the more contemporary stuff...I actually liked that Amesoeurs stuff. I might check out more of it. However, it seemed pretty generic to me...driving drum backbeat, catchy lead guitar melody/intro, and pretty, longing female vocals...it's good and catchy, sure, but I saw you say in another thread how Sigur Ros is "bad post rock", and I don't really get how this band is any more emotionally charged or awesome than they are. And I didn't really get The Reflections in Time guys.

I suppose to each his own, but I don't get how Moonlight Sonata sucks and is devoid of emotion and is just a shitty formula while these bands/artists are the living embodiment of originality and passion.

*Nibbles on kitten*
That is of course because I have a more evolved sensibility in the 24th century to hear the difference, and you don't. Amesoeurs has nothing to do with Sigur Ros, especially because it's actually a black metal outlet, this is just the title track of their first album. It is actually more this, or Herbst9 VS Z'ev.

In the 24th century people are vain and arrogant, ask Picard. Eddington knew it all.
Spoiler:
"I know you. I was like you once, but then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves paradise. Everyone should want to be in the Federation. Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day they can take their "rightful place" on the Federation Council. You know In some ways you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious. You assimilate people and they don't even know it."


6453893 wrote:
Gaydar2000SE wrote:I explained it enough already. It doesn't sound good, is the point.


[citation needed]

You just cited it yourself. In music, realiable sources are that arbitrary that I am a reliable source because I know a shitload about music and you don't. 24th-century elitism > you.
^ :/

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 am UTC

Oh yeah, you know so much about music. Hey, how's that "souppot writing" thread you made going?

User avatar
Gaydar2000SE
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Gaydar2000SE » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:34 am UTC

No one got it, they knew too little about music.

Understandable, for a forum of bunch of Sigur Ros listening hippies, y'al ain't no understanding of da knowledga yo.

Xenakis > G.W.Bush

IT AIN'T NO FRIGGIN SOUND MAN

Mr. Doctor—the man of a thousand voices
^ :/

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:08 pm UTC

I love the Moonlight Sonata. But only when it's played properly. I had about 6 versions on m'iTunes and only one of them was played gently enough to enjoy. The triplets of the first have to swirl like a gentle eddy.

The Flaming Lips draw most of their inspiration from Neptune - The Mystic, and that's one that's really had to do a lot of work out of all the Planets suite to grow on me.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

bbq
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby bbq » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

La Campanella - I prefer the Liszt version, but the original by Pagaini is very good also.

Big fan of 'Fantasie Impromptu' by Chopin and 'Islamey' by Balakirev as well, these 3 are probably my top 3 favourite works.

Oh, and I think Piano Concerto No.2 by Saint-Saens is particularly excellent.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

User avatar
Durinthal
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:46 pm UTC
Location: 127.0.0.1

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Durinthal » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre and Liszt's concert etude Un Sospiro are probably two of my favorites. I'm a fan of programmatic music, so there's a lot of the late Romantic stuff on my list.

..and Einstein on the Beach is up there too.

User avatar
6453893
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am UTC
Location: Australia

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby 6453893 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:12 am UTC

Durinthal wrote:..and Einstein on the Beach is up there too.


That was my favorite Glasswork in eleventh grade. Jesus, the number of times I listened to Spaceship that year.... Now, I tend to favourite his metamorphoses.

User avatar
Phill
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:36 pm UTC
Location: Colchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Phill » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:14 am UTC

I don't think I could pick a favourite piece of classical music. There's too much variety - it depends what kind of mood I'm in.

I think one of my favourite all rounders is 'Rhapsody in Blue' by Gershwin.

But the most powerful piece of classical music I've ever heard live is Gorecki's 3rd Symphony (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), I'd jump at the opportunity to hear it again someday.

And I love Mendelssohn's Elijah, Mozart's Requiem, and Bach's St Matthew's Passion. Amongst other things! Picking a favourite is an impossible task :mrgreen:

casiguapa
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:49 am UTC

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby casiguapa » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 am UTC

I have to say, Brandenburg Concerto No.4 Allegro is one of my favourites, but then again I'm a big fan of ritornello form.

Other good ones are Symphony no.26 Lamentations by Haydn, but again, I like Sonata form so I would like this particular piece/
<SugarTits> What's a penis?
<Casiguapa> Heisenberg

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

I was waiting for you to go all "mmmm, Pie Jesu".
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:58 pm UTC
Location: Texas

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

moonlight sonata!
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

User avatar
ChocloManx
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm UTC
Location: Santiago, Chile (nofewdjokezplz)
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby ChocloManx » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

mickyj300x wrote:I think I love you.
2nd mvt has to be my favourite.


I love the horn chorale in the middle, it is beautiful.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

User avatar
Virtual_Aardvark
Posts: 882
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm UTC
Location: The Final Frontier
Contact:

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby Virtual_Aardvark » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:30 am UTC

It's so hard to pick. At the moment Bach's 5th Brandenburg Concerto is my favorite (though all the concertos are brilliant). Every few months I switch to Mozart's Requiem. I'm also a fan of Chopin, especially Nocturne (which is in fact my ringtone). And the Queen of the Night aria. And really almost anything by Mozart. I found a stunningly beautiful choir version of Adagio for Strings, which is the only good thing Samuel Barber has written. Ever.
"imaginary gardens with real toads in them"
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:An actual cloud... full of lesbians.


Return to “Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests