Favorite piece of classical music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

run.dll

Re: Favorite piece of classical music

Postby run.dll » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:20 am UTC

The iPod "Top 25 Most Played" doesn't lie.

So, my favorite piece of music, classical or otherwise ... drum roll ...

1) Gavotte en Rondeau (Bach, Partita #3 third piece (this is for solo violin, and you have heard it before)

followed by

2) Preludio (can you tell I play the violin? :) - Nathan Milstein plays this on Ewe Tube
3) "Their Land Brought Forth Frogs" (I love picturing an earnest Victorian matron delivering this - hilarious!)
4) "He Spake the Word" (WTF? - do I listen to Handel that much?)
5) Menuet 1 (more Bach fiddle)
6) Haydn Symphony #95 - Allegro Moderato (this makes sense - Haydn is my favorite composer)
7) Clavado en un Bar (Mana is a Mexican rock group)
8) Bouree (more Bach fiddle) (interesting, "eight close bracket" is interpreted as a smiley)
9) Haydn Symphony #95 - Andante Cantabile
10-14) more along these lines
15) Goldberg Variation #15 (a token piano piece, but still Bach - G. Gould, of course)
16-24) more along these lines
25) Vivaldi Violin Cto. #2 - Allegro con Molto (first movement of The Four Seasons - Summer)

This is a believable list, but I thought that my top 25 would have had a bit more variation - it sounds as though I'm stuck in the Baroque, whereas if you asked me I would have given my favorite music as Haydn, Mozart and early Beethoven (with a nod, oddly enough, to Glass). I think the iPod top 25 is somewhat biased towards shorter pieces. For instance, I am pretty sure that I spend more _time_ listening to symphonies and concertos than to short violin and piano pieces and choral works.
Spoiler:
I find it odd that one can have a spoiler for a sig, and moderately disappointing that spoilers can't be nested.

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:11 am UTC

It can lie sometimes.

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 am UTC

The Danse Bacchanale from Sampson et Delilah, by Camille Saint-Saens. Saint-Saens (pronounced son-son) is probably my favorite dead composer. The first time i heard it i guessed that it was a story of male sexual inadequacy, from the sound, and when i looked it up i was right. If that's not brilliant composing, I don't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxKga2wp9Y

Coming in close behind are Soldier's Tale by Stravinsky (which reminds me of Umeatsu Nobou's music, oddly), the Russlan and Ludmilla Overture by Glinka, and Mahler's 2nd Symphony.

Edit: The last coupple minutes of the 3rd movement of the Bottesini Double Bass Conterto is perhaps the most brilliant ending in all of music. I can't seem to find it online, but I suggest getting this. I had the pleasure of being able to see him perform it live, and it was the best thing I've ever given.

Edit2: On the subject of the Moonlight Sonata, of course it's formulaic, it's music. Have you ever listened to a fugue? Or 12-tone? Or blues? Being of simple form does not make music uninspired; on the contrary, it is often the most simple music that has the most meaning. (Like the passacaglia in Jesus Christ Superstar during Judas' death, when performed well)

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:13 am UTC

I think I've worked out half of my music taste. I've always enjoyed pieces with drive and rhythm, so Bartók, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Alkan, Antheil and many more always appealed to me.
Offerings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwd_dMyM6gs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQO2rRv ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXXSO_YS ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_enabWPc-l4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4PLryN04Iw

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:28 pm UTC

Beethoven's Piano Sonata no. 21 is easily, easily near the top of my list. It's so good I can't even pick apart the movements; 1st and 3rd are equally blissful, and with this in mind, the 2nd is essential. Also, even though his symphony no. 9 is a braindead pick, it's still a devastating piece; a person who listens to it and doesn't feel moved or impressed not even once must seriously reconsider his tastes. I can understand being bored or tired by such a long piece, but, really, the main melody of movement three? The savage dancing rhythms on the second, and the stupefying transition into the gentler middle theme? The crushing, blaring extended chords in the first movement? The "marching" variation of the fourth? As beaten and old this symphony is, it's filled with these valuable treasures, and each listen reveals a new aspect and improves old ones.

Also, The Rite of Spring. Also old and beaten, but whatever. And Bartók's string quartets. One of them.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

Virtual_Aardvark wrote: which is the only good thing Samuel Barber has written. Ever.

What about his Violin Concerto?

Also, yes The Rite of Spring a million times. And Brahms' German Requiem and The Sea by Debussy, and Beethoven's ninth and Peer Gynt and Clair de Lune.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Masily box

Postby Masily box » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

This is essentially an impossible question for me to answer, but a few pieces worthy of consideration would be:

Schubert's Winterreise, particularly as sung by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
the Rite
Debussy, La Mer
Beethoven's String Quartet in A minor, Op. 132
Steve Reich's Drumming
William Duckworth's Time Curve Preludes
Schoenberg's Violin Concerto, Book of the Hanging Gardens, &c&c&c
the Bach Cello Suites
Brahms... where to start? Clarinet Quintet, Second Symphony, B major Piano Trio... hard to say.
Howard Hanson's Second Symphony. (The degree to which Hanson is underrated is grossly unfair.)
Messiaen, Quartet for the End of Time
Tristan und Isolde

I should probably stop, because this list is never going to end... If I really had to pick just one, it would be either Winterreise or one of the cello suites. (2? 5? 6? I really can't say.)

Sartorius

Postby Sartorius » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Atmosck wrote:The Danse Bacchanale from Sampson et Delilah, by Camille Saint-Saens. Saint-Saens (pronounced son-son) is probably my favorite dead composer. The first time i heard it i guessed that it was a story of male sexual inadequacy, from the sound, and when i looked it up i was right. If that's not brilliant composing, I don't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxKga2wp9Y

I totally agree with this. You know a piece is awesome when musicians move/dance with the music when sightreading.

I don't think I could ever pick a single piece of classical music. I'd be here all day.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." -Terry Pratchett

zug

Postby zug » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

air on the g string

not for the obvious reason. I just really like the song.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

G2_00

Postby G2_00 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:43 am UTC

This really is hard. I had some friends make the local youth symphony, so I have been to a lot of concerts recently.

Hmmm... I have to go with a class favorite for number 1. Shostakovitch #5. I got to try my hand at the finale my sophomore year in symphony. Third trumpet, but it was still Shosti. At the local youth symphony performance, that I was unable to go to, I hear they had to restart because the director was forgetting to cue anything.

2. O Magnum Mysterium. I have a gorgeous recording of it. And I love pieces where horns and trumpets have their musical fights.
3. Whatsoever Things. It was tough to put this one third for me. I love the sound and everything... and it brings back memories of my second paying gig ($75 as a high school sophomore? I'll take it!). I also met a great friend at that gig and he has gotten me involved in a quintet this summer so it is a very special piece to me.
4. Hindemith - Symphonic Metamorphosis (sophomore festival performance was fun!) or Symphony in B-Flat
5. Persichetti Symphony for Band (Last year and I got the trumpet solo). It broke into the list even though it was boring at first.
6. 4 Scottish Dances - Anything with a drunken bassoon solo deserves to be on the list.

I can go on. I'm lucky to be at a high school with two level 6 bands, a top notch orchestra, and an amazing chorus... and we are not a special school for the arts. Thus I have been spoiled in the music department. :mrgreen:

cathrl

Postby cathrl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:30 am UTC

I really like Shostakovitch, especially the two piano concertos.

I think half the trouble with the Moonlight Sonata is that it's not technically that hard. So you tend to hear it played at school concerts etc. by people who aren't very good - they can play the notes, but that's about all. Then it comes over bland and boring. A real recording by a top pianist is spine-chilling.

I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard Pachelbel's Canon again, ever. Deeply tedious piece of music, about five times longer than it should be.

One piece of music, just one? Schubert's Unfinished Symphony.

zug

Postby zug » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

cathrl wrote:I really like Shostakovitch, especially the two piano concertos.

I think half the trouble with the Moonlight Sonata is that it's not technically that hard. So you tend to hear it played at school concerts etc. by people who aren't very good - they can play the notes, but that's about all. Then it comes over bland and boring. A real recording by a top pianist is spine-chilling.

I'd be perfectly happy if I never heard Pachelbel's Canon again, ever. Deeply tedious piece of music, about five times longer than it should be.

I do enjoy Pachelbel's canon (because it was one of the first classical songs I was able to master) but I agree that it's too long. Which is kind of the point of a "canon." But I think the song as a whole would benefit if the first x-1 verses were removed and you just heard the final rendition with all the harmonies being played together.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

SkaBassist

Postby SkaBassist » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:OK...what kind of music displays genuine emotion and doesn't suck, then?

*Nibbles on kitten*

CHARLES IVES. Listen to his Concord Sonata, namely the third movement, "The Alcotts".

My favorite pieces of classical music:
-Charles Ive's Concord Sonata, namely the third movement, "The Alcotts". :P
-George Crumb's "Vox Balaenae"
-Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians"
-David Maslanka's "Sea Dreams"
-Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E Minor
Holst and Vivaldi were pretty awesome too, I like more or less everything they did.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:22 pm UTC

I must say that the quarter tone pieces for two pianos by Ives is really beautiful, also the Unanswered Question. That dude is criminally underrated.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Ravel's Bolero. The final measures never fail to raise the hair on my neck.
Same goes for Holst's Mars, Bringer of War.

For something more fun, Grofé's On the Trail from the Grand Canyon Suite.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Mahler's symphonies, all of them. If I am forced to pick between them, probably the 6th and the 9th. I like things with negative emotions.

On Shostakovitch, he wrote great music as well.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:56 am UTC

Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde is a masterpiece. That is all.
-Ambrose Bierce

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:38 am UTC

cathrl wrote:I think half the trouble with the Moonlight Sonata is that it's not technically that hard. So you tend to hear it played at school concerts etc. by people who aren't very good - they can play the notes, but that's about all. Then it comes over bland and boring. A real recording by a top pianist is spine-chilling.
The problem is nobody plays the full moonlight sonata.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:41 am UTC

cathrl wrote:I think half the trouble with the Moonlight Sonata is that it's not technically that hard. So you tend to hear it played at school concerts etc. by people who aren't very good - they can play the notes, but that's about all. Then it comes over bland and boring. A real recording by a top pianist is spine-chilling.
The problem is nobody plays the full moonlight sonata.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 am UTC

cathrl wrote:I really like Shostakovitch, especially the two piano concertos.

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 am UTC

Ravel's Bolero, definitely.

Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Widor's Toccata

Rite of Spring and Firebird by Stravinsky

Carmena Burana by Carl Orff

Also, anything big and choral and NOT operatic.
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

HumanoidCarbonUnit

Postby HumanoidCarbonUnit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:26 am UTC

I really find it hard to pick just one favorite piece. What I like really depends on my mood and very rarely do I not like a piece.

That being said two piece I never get tired of hearing are Chopin's Revolutionary Etude and Bach's Prelude to Cello Suite No. 1.

I am also rather fond of opera. I have a particularly love for Le Nozze di Figaro and honestly can't think of my favorite part (because it all rocks). It would take to a bit to name off all my favorite bits from different operas as well but I do particularly love the Anvil Chorus.

The_Entertainer

Postby The_Entertainer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:05 pm UTC

Chopin's "Nocturne in Eb - Op. 9 No. 2"

My favorite classical piece to both hear and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0-t3_H4gg
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
- Plato

McCaber

Postby McCaber » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:21 pm UTC

Bach's St. Matthew's Passion. The single best piece of music I have ever heard.
Spoiler:
hyperion wrote:
Hawknc wrote:Crap, that image is going to get a lot of use around here.

That's what SHE said!

She blinded me with Science!

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:07 am UTC

Antonio Lauro's Suite Venezolana. I've been particularly digging the Registro and Danza Negra.

/does South American guitar music count?

maycelestia

Postby maycelestia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Holst's Planets, especially Mars, Bringer of War. Almost all of Fauré's Requiem - in particular Libera Me which is an amazingly powerful piece of music and huge fun to sing in a choir. Agnus Dei is a close second from that Requiem as it slowly builds.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

luvnotwar wrote:Antonio Lauro's Suite Venezolana. I've been particularly digging the Registro and Danza Negra.

/does South American guitar music count?

Ahem, why wouldn't it? Lauro's guitar pieces are awesome.
-Ambrose Bierce

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:15 am UTC

I have to give a shout-out to Danzon No. 2 by Arturo Márquez. I played it with my youth orchestra in high school and it remains one of my favorite pieces I've ever played.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

mark999

Postby mark999 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:42 am UTC

Beethoven Op. 106 (Hammerklavier piano sonata).

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:20 am UTC

I play the piano, so most of my favorites are piano pieces.
Especially those written by Romantic composers (Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff)

Usually, Rachmaninoff's pieces are more melodious than Liszt's; the Rach 3 (Here's one with only the piano part:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQzctf_wIk), and his Preludes in C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSO6dfTgVOY)
and G (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPl8WAPQ3eo) come to mind

But Liszt does have some great pieces as well.
Hungarian Rhapsody is the obvious piece: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHGnYQgLLzc)
and Liebestraume (I think the translation is Dream Nocturne) is beautiful: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVVSWHkxs8)
Along with La Campanella: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9Wiqsd9xY)

But my favorite Liszt piece has to be "Harmonies du Soir", his 11th Transcendental Etude: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1FeuosM ... re=related)
That guy plays all 12 in one concert wicked fast.

The_Entertainer wrote:Chopin's "Nocturne in Eb - Op. 9 No. 2"

My favorite classical piece to both hear and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0-t3_H4gg

I think Chopin's Nocturne in C minor, Op. 48, No 1 is quite overlooked, and one of his more expressive nocturnes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvfOcImCEQ
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

PlayingMonkey

Postby PlayingMonkey » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Bassoon wrote:Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. As a bassoon player, I am obliged to love all four movements of this piece. I also enjoy Dvorak's Ninth Symphony (or the New World Symphony) but I find that it doesn't have a wide dynamic variation, so I don't like it as much as Scheherazade. Moving along into the modern times, I really enjoy Frank Ticheli's American Elegy.

YAY BASSOONISTS! (or should I say faggots?) And it has a great clarinet solo at the beginning, hence why I love Scherezade. Borodin was such a lazy composer anyways, he's great!

Durinthal wrote:Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre and Liszt's concert etude Un Sospiro are probably two of my favorites. I'm a fan of programmatic music, so there's a lot of the late Romantic stuff on my list.

..and Einstein on the Beach is up there too.

I like Glass' work alot as well! for Saint-Saens I must say his Symphony #3 in C Minor is one of my favorites.

Right now I'm learning the Nielsen Clarinet Concerto so I guess I'll have to go with that as my favorite piece. It's so ridiculous it's amazing.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Beethoven String Quartet in C-sharp minor, Op. 131. An awesomely beautiful piece of music, with a brilliant structure to the movements. In terms of symphonies, it really has to be No 6 - I can't really see why everyone raves about No 9, but then I'm really not a fan of choral music, so I guess that could be why.

Narius

Postby Narius » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

Favorite Piano piece would be Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, first movement.

Favorite Orchestral piece is tough... for right now I have to say Martini's "Domine ad adjuvandum me festina", actually a choral piece with chamber orchestra accompaniment.

Return to “Music”