Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Discussion!

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

whitelightwhiteheat

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Discussion!

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I've just got into this band and there was no thread so here's a thread.
Feel free to discuss anything to do with the band, lyrics, concerts, musical stylings whatever.
Ill kick it off with the oldest question in the book
Favourite Albums?
I'll have to say Abbatoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus because of the songwriting and sheer awesomeness.
Discuss!
Last edited by whitelightwhiteheat on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Nic Cave and the Bad Seeds Discussion!

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:15 am UTC

I really prefer his work with the Birthday Party. That having been said, a lot of the Bad Seeds stuff (Especially Let Love In) is astounding.

whitelightwhiteheat

Re: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds Discussion!

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:18 am UTC

Yeah I'm listening to Let Love In now and its awesome. Loverman especially. Heres an awesome live version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Aq5XuhXRc.
whats good by the Birthday Party?

Postby 6453893 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 am UTC

They only really released three albums proper, The Birthday Party (released under both the Birthday Party and Boys Next Door names), Prayers on Fire, and Junkyard. All great.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I listened to a bit of the birthday party, it sounds like the stooges on cocaine.
Also Let Love In is now almost as good as Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus IMHO.
and From Her to Eternity is scary in a good way

Balrog Boogie

Postby Balrog Boogie » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

I have few Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds albums, there are so many, I find it difficult to pick one and pay for the darn thing.
I purchased [No More Shall We Part] and thought it was beautiful in a melancholy, almost whiny way - don't hit me, but I just can't sit through a album where my mood meter only goes down. I also have [From Her to Eternity], [Nocturama] and [Your Funeral.. My Trial]. When [Dig, Lazarus, Dig!] I got back into the Bad Seeds, but I tend to turn to Boys Next Door and the Birthday Party. Would anyone recommend any other albums?

The scream at the beginning of Mutiny in Heaven, anyone?

Edit: I forget Grinderman. Why is it that I like all his other stuff but not so much Bad Seeds?
Bash in my brain, and make me scream with pain,
Then kick me once again, and say we'll never part.

whitelightwhiteheat

Postby whitelightwhiteheat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

[quote="Balrog Boogie"]Would anyone recommend any other albums? [quote="Balrog Boogie"]

Bad Seeds albums or his other bands?
My favourite Bad Seeds albums are Tender Prey, Let Love In and Murder Ballads. I would recommend all three but if you dont wanna go spend a whole bunch og money Let Love In would be good starting place, that album is amazing.
Birthday Party- Prayers on Fire kicks arse, haven't heard anything else
Hopefully that kinda helped

Milyandel

Postby Milyandel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 am UTC

Yay, I had to register on the forum just to have my say in this thread - I got into listening Nick Cave & co. just a little while ago and feel like sharing the experience! Only one of my friends knew who/what I was talking about when I took the subject up. In an incoherent "I've-found-the-meaning-of-my-life" -way, I must admit :oops: , as I was at first completely swept away by the music, so maybe the weird looks weren't totally out of place. Of course I had known about Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, ever since the Wim Wenders' Der Himmel über Berlin, but was at that time a bit too young to appreciate them. (I was 10 years old :mrgreen: .)

I've found The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Murder Ballads and The Boatman's Call at my local store, so those are the albums I've been mostly listening to. I like The Boatman's Call the most & Henry's Dream the least.

Balrog Boogie wrote:Would anyone recommend any other albums?

I'd recommend The Boatman's Call, Murder Ballads and The Good Son, in that order - even though ever since I got them all I prefer to listen to them in the reverse (=chronological) order, because I enjoy trying to discern the "evolution" of their music. Those who appreciate even more kick in their music might enjoy earlier albums though. I myself am planning to get my hands on Let Love In, Tender Prey and Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. Probably also Dig, Lazarus, Dig!

Balrog boogie wrote:The scream at the beginning of Mutiny in Heaven, anyone?

Oh yes! Sheer awesomeness! I read a review that described it as a scream of a baby pterosaur (or something like that, can't remember the exact words) and it sort of hit the nail in the head in my opinion 8) . (Might be a baby velociraptor too, though?)
"Here I am once more in this Scene of Dissipation & Vice, and I begin already to find my Morals corrupted." - Jane Austen -

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:07 am UTC

I'll also toss in for The Boatmans Call and Murder Ballads. His duets are eerie and amazing, especially Henry Lee with PJ Harvey. the video is so full of tension, it is beautiful.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ai4k ... -lee_music

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Milyandel

Postby Milyandel » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:12 am UTC

^ I agree about the video recommendation too. It's so simple - just two people sitting and singing - but the tension and the underlying passion is very haunting.

I had a strange argument about the video though with a friend...still can't quite see his point. I asked him to watch it and tell me what he thought. He thought it was "sick". ( :shock: ) Ok, the combination of passion and murder may be shocking to some, but after I asked him to explain a little bit more, I found out that wasn't even what he objected to.

He actually took the use of word 'sick' back, but maintained that the whole thing was "too obvious and artificial" and "meant to get everyone react ooh & aah over it just like you did yourself". Oh well. I guess you can't please everyone. I still don't see what's so bad about music, videos, books, movies, or as a matter of fact any work of art that makes you admire it and/or feel in a special way.
"Here I am once more in this Scene of Dissipation & Vice, and I begin already to find my Morals corrupted." - Jane Austen -

Return to “Music”