"Consolation" Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kaeyn

"Consolation" Music

Postby Kaeyn » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:54 am UTC

Right, seeing as I am going through my teenage years like a rhinocerous with a brain tumour and am becoming very depressed, I like to have moments where I just zone out from everything that's exploding around me and try to avoid thinking for a bit.

When I zone out, I like to listen to music that doesn't have any lyrics, and is somewhat calming. I've discovered that listening to the soundtracks from In Bruges and Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit are very good for this.

Anybody know anything else?

Homo Electromagneticus

Re: "Consolation" Music

Postby Homo Electromagneticus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Just as the sword can not cut itself,
nor the finger touch its own tip;
mind can not see itself.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 pm UTC

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:38 pm UTC

Edit: I would also check out this thread.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:09 am UTC

I like this way of recommending music.

I also have more recommendations, but they aren't so much "zone out" music, more along the lines of "I feel sad so I'm going to sit in the dark and listen to sad music and be a teenager" (don't worry though, sad music as a cure for being sad is likely to work well into your twenties).

Postby 6453893 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:41 am UTC

Surgery wrote:

Just ass-backwards awesome.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:03 am UTC

Pink Lady Lemonade by Acid Mothers Temple, especially the version from Do Whatever You Want, Don't Do Whatever You Don't Want. Hour-long zone-out space-rock awesome.

School of the Flower by Six Organs of Admittance. Some of the tracks have vocals, others (such as the amazing title track) do not.

September Song by Pygmy Lush. The rest of the material is definitely not what you're looking for, but this song is amazing. 25 minutes, mostly light drone, some melodic segments. Great for zoning out to.

Thrillho

Postby Thrillho » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:24 pm UTC

Sigur Ros Takk.jpg
Sigur Ros Takk.jpg (36.05 KiB) Viewed 6277 times

Sigur Ros is an Icelandic band known for having very soothing melodies. Most of their stuff tends to be fairly slow-paced, perfect for when I just want to relax and take it easy. I just started getting into them myself, so I have yet to explore their entire discography.

My one all-time favourite song by Sigur Ros is "Svefn-G-Englar", from the album Agaetis Byrjun. The album pictured above is called Takk. Some good songs from it are "Glósóli", "Hoppípolla" and "Sæglópur". Give them a listen, and let us know what you think. They're widely available on youtube.

One thing - they do contain lyrics. Albeit, they're mostly in Icelandic. Then some English. Then a made-up language called "Hopelandic". That being said, the singer does some sort of awesome falsetto that makes it worth listening to all by itself.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Homo Electromagneticus wrote:

Listen to the man, he is wise.

I'm going to add this...
(It's Godspeed You! Black Emporer's album, East Hastings.)

And this to the mix.
i dare you to take me on...

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

tin wrote:
Homo Electromagneticus wrote:I'm going to add this...
(It's Godspeed You! Black Emperor's album, East Hastings.)

The album is called F#A# (Infinty), East Hastings is the second track.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Ah, man I just noticed that. :? You're totally right.
i dare you to take me on...

kaniman2
Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby kaniman2 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Lumpy_Gravy.jpg
Lumpy_Gravy.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 6227 times
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:35 am UTC

Technically, it is F♯A♯∞

I've heard band get kind of touchy about using # instead of ♯

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:50 am UTC

6453893 wrote:Technically, it is F♯A♯∞

Yeah, 'cause when you're gimmicky enough to indicate, with an infinity sign, a trick that's older than the book (ever heard about one Sgt. Pepper?), complaining that people can't be bothered to use an actual sharp sign won't make you look that much more like a dork. [/pedantic]

But now that even Frank Zappa has been namechecked, let me up the ante a little bit:

I worship that album.

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:36 am UTC

Actually the band don't care at all, they decided the name by coin toss.

I care, because the octothorpe is a ridiculous excuse for a character. Telecoms should not be allowed to introduce new glyphs to our cognition. Keep hating on the 'gimmicks' though.

I think this thread is ready for:

Fear
Falls Burning

Postby 6453893 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:[/pedantic]

And more importantly, how does this fit any of the definitions of 'pedantry'? You aren't making an excessive display of learning (clearly) or making a statement of your intellect. You do not even fit under the more recent, bastardized definition. You are not paying excessive attention to a minor detail, just responding to my pedantic statement with sarcasm and excessive hostility. I don't see how any of this could be called pedantry.

It has oft been said that English is a fluid language, but it has a goddamn limit. Language exists as a medium of communication, and the belief that a language can foster such communication assumes the premise that its components have meaning, understood by both parties involved in the conveyance of these components. Yes, definitions change over time to meet the demands of a language's speakers. The meaning of a word is ambiguous, and open to some interpretation. this elasticity gave English a massive advantage over tightly controlled languages, like French. However, even this has a limit. Though words can change in meaning and context, they do not do so instantly, or at the discretion of a single individual. Maybe you think you are advancing the language, by finding new and interesting uses for the word 'pedantic'. This would be the most generous view. I'd like to believe that you believe that you are not simply abusing the English language. What if somebody, who has never encountered the word, reads your usage and gleans an improper definition from the contextual clues? What if they use the word in that, incorrect context for years to come? Their peers will consider them an idiot, incapable of properly speaking their native language. Maybe this person is you, and you were woefully misguided by some sick, anonymous language rapist somewhere on the internet. If so, I pity you and hope that my pointing you to an actual dictionary will mend this gash you have driven into the face of English.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:Technically, it is F♯A♯∞

I had not noticed there was a difference (regarding # and ♯), thanks for pointing that out.

Addition to the thread:
Basically anything by God Is An Astronaut.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:29 am UTC

6453893 wrote:

And more importantly, how does this fit any of the definitions of 'pedantry'? You aren't making an excessive display of learning (clearly) or making a statement of your intellect. You do not even fit under the more recent, bastardized definition. You are not paying excessive attention to a minor detail, just responding to my pedantic statement with sarcasm and excessive hostility. I don't see how any of this could be called pedantry.

It has oft been said that English is a fluid language, but it has a goddamn limit. Language exists as a medium of communication, and the belief that a language can foster such communication assumes the premise that its components have meaning, understood by both parties involved in the conveyance of these components. Yes, definitions change over time to meet the demands of a language's speakers. The meaning of a word is ambiguous, and open to some interpretation. this elasticity gave English a massive advantage over tightly controlled languages, like French. However, even this has a limit. Though words can change in meaning and context, they do not do so instantly, or at the discretion of a single individual. Maybe you think you are advancing the language, by finding new and interesting uses for the word 'pedantic'. This would be the most generous view. I'd like to believe that you believe that you are not simply abusing the English language. What if somebody, who has never encountered the word, reads your usage and gleans an improper definition from the contextual clues? What if they use the word in that, incorrect context for years to come? Their peers will consider them an idiot, incapable of properly speaking their native language. Maybe this person is you, and you were woefully misguided by some sick, anonymous language rapist somewhere on the internet. If so, I pity you and hope that my pointing you to an actual dictionary will mend this gash you have driven into the face of English.

you're mad touchy bro

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 am UTC

aaron wrote:
6453893 wrote:

you're mad touchy bro

yeah excellent pick too.

aaron

Postby aaron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:52 am UTC

oh that's deathconscioussness by have a nice life

Postby 6453893 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 am UTC

I had thought it was Have A Nice Life by deathconscioussness. Whoops.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:And more importantly, how does this fit any of the definitions of 'pedantry'? You aren't making an excessive display of learning (clearly) or making a statement of your intellect. You do not even fit under the more recent, bastardized definition. You are not paying excessive attention to a minor detail, just responding to my pedantic statement with sarcasm and excessive hostility. I don't see how any of this could be called pedantry.

Well, there was excessive display of knowledge, with the comment on locked grooves being older than the book, and there definitely WAS excessive attention to minor detail (characters on an album title), but I agree that pulling "pedantic" towards "excessive nitpicking" is a linguistic stretch. It was, though, a joke; and my "hostility" was towards the band, not towards your comment (though I should mention that I am very, very picky towards getting my characters right, to the point where Amarok messes up the entry for µ-Ziq because of the first character, but that would have weakened the wisecrack...)

Well, your language lacks "versatility". *obscure poke at another forum member, wink wink, nudge nudge* :)

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

give it a spin!
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

bbq

Postby bbq » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

6453893 wrote:

Sorry, but your reaction seems a little over the top. It isn't just the length of your reply, it's the type of imagery you are using there, makes it sound pretty hostile. I mean, 'sick, anonymous language rapist'?
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:49 am UTC

i believe this topic was covered with my post

you're mad touchy bro

it's donezo now

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:08 am UTC

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:15 pm UTC

Also any other soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Oh, and I forgot (smaller icons this time):

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:07 pm UTC

How about this:

ManHadn't

Postby ManHadn't » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:23 am UTC

I understand that God Is An Astronaut was already named, but I think this album deserves a special emphasis:
Spoiler:
All Is Violent, All Is Bright.jpg
All Is Violent, All Is Bright.jpg (176 KiB) Viewed 5884 times
(Spoilered for great size)
Also:
Panopticon.jpg
Panopticon.jpg (283.21 KiB) Viewed 5887 times
These people here, they're so lazy
They stay inside and watch... shows
You chose
Not to be one of those
But you still don't know
How the good life goes

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:32 am UTC

Hey, sorry I took so long to check up on this thread again, I kind of posted it and then left it to die, unfortunately... :lol:

Anyway, thanks for all the recommendations from you all. I got a few things that I found very good, particularly God is An Astronaut, recommended by Blinke, and the Road to Perdition soundtrack, recommended by philsov. Special thanks to you, philsov, for opening my eyes to Thomas Newman, who I now think is awesome.

Thanks also go to el_loco_avs and Surgery for the Babel and Planet Earth soundtracks, respectively.

More orchestral pieces are better than electric-based sounds, but nevertheless keep em coming, if you feel compelled... :D

davef
NomNomNommin' the Rockenclature!

Postby davef » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

For sheer 'lose yourself in the music'-ness (and cry your eyes out, too, for me at least) throw on Henryck Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. It's an hour long, and you'll need some big speakers to get the full impact of it, but it's incredibly haunting, and beautiful, and devastatingly sad yet hugely uplifting at the same time. If you do listen to it, I recommend darkening the room, disconnecting the phone and try to make sure you'll be interruption-free for the duration. It's a piece you need to hear all the way through in one sitting.

Heard it played live by the RTE Symphony Orchestra a few months ago. Wow.
Ciúnas, bóthar, cailín, bainne.

porcupine

Postby porcupine » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 am UTC

Ash Ra Tempel's self titled is great for losing your self in the music.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

Orchestral Post Rock

If you don't mind vocals, the following has consoled me on many occasions:
Trip Hop

ashgray

Postby ashgray » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:14 am UTC

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

davef wrote:For sheer 'lose yourself in the music'-ness (and cry your eyes out, too, for me at least) throw on Henryck Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. It's an hour long, and you'll need some big speakers to get the full impact of it, but it's incredibly haunting, and beautiful, and devastatingly sad yet hugely uplifting at the same time. If you do listen to it, I recommend darkening the room, disconnecting the phone and try to make sure you'll be interruption-free for the duration. It's a piece you need to hear all the way through in one sitting.
There's also Mahler's 9th, first and last movement. Not as sorrowful and depressing, but definitely in a tone of resignation.

a386

Postby a386 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:15 am UTC

alternately,

or, stravinsky and weed

seriously that broken social scene album has given me the feeling that it saved my life. i can feel so shitty and put that on and it's like home, in that fucked up psychological beautiful way.

the_stabbage

Postby the_stabbage » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

davef wrote:For sheer 'lose yourself in the music'-ness (and cry your eyes out, too, for me at least) throw on Henryck Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, The Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. It's an hour long, and you'll need some big speakers to get the full impact of it, but it's incredibly haunting, and beautiful, and devastatingly sad yet hugely uplifting at the same time. If you do listen to it, I recommend darkening the room, disconnecting the phone and try to make sure you'll be interruption-free for the duration. It's a piece you need to hear all the way through in one sitting.

Heard it played live by the RTE Symphony Orchestra a few months ago. Wow.

Yeah, that's an intense piece of music. I'm a big fan of classical music, because the sadness is more of an "intellectual" sadness instead of a "passionate" sadness that post-rock appeals to (I don't break up with people THAT often).

When I'm feeling down, I like to throw on Beethoven's 7th Symphony, 2nd movement. It pleases my sad brain, then makes me pumped.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

the_stabbage wrote:Yeah, that's an intense piece of music. I'm a big fan of classical music, because the sadness is more of an "intellectual" sadness instead of a "passionate" sadness that post-rock appeals to (I don't break up with people THAT often).
Actually, I find that the sadness in classical music way more passionate than pop/rock nowadays.

Return to “Music”