"Consolation" Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

a386

Re: "Consolation" Music

Postby a386 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:53 pm UTC

not pop/rock, post-rock. i kind of agree with the stabbage, much post rock is like WOAH WOAH EMOTIONS while certain classical songs are sad, but complex and it takes a second to understand them. they don't grab your reptile brain by the neck and shake it so much. except the ones that do. i guess the thing is that it's easier to find that complexity in classical music than in post rock.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

a386 wrote:not pop/rock, post-rock. i kind of agree with the stabbage, much post rock is like WOAH WOAH EMOTIONS while certain classical songs are sad, but complex and it takes a second to understand them. they don't grab your reptile brain by the neck and shake it so much. except the ones that do. i guess the thing is that it's easier to find that complexity in classical music than in post rock.
First, I favour Romanticism, so I am not talking about the intellectual sadness or whatever here. I am talking about the certain famous classical pieces, like Moonlight, Adagio for strings, Gorecki's Symphony No. 3, etc. (or Kindertotenlieder, if to dare the jynx)

After looking at youtube for some post rock, I can see the distinction, but I still stand by my point. Some post rock is quite sad, but they can be so much better if they use the drums more sparingly. I donno, but it seems the drum gives something you can cling onto, so it doesn't give that emptiness that other pieces give. Though, without the drums, it sounds a lot like Philip Glass (some of his works are also very sad and empty), which I would definitely recommend if you want that type of sadness.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

achan1058 wrote:Some post rock is quite sad, but they can be so much better if they use the drums more sparingly.
You should check out Gregor Samsa. They're a much sparser, minimalist sort of post-rock, with the drums very light in the mix (I'm not sure they're even there in most of their songs) and without the reliance on huge crescendoes.

I'd definitely second Philip Glass, especially his solo piano pieces like Metamorphosis 1-5.

Return to “Music”