Chiptune anyone?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Istrom

Chiptune anyone?

Postby Istrom » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 am UTC

So I just heard a bunch of Daft Punk songs as recreated using vintage game hardware and go thinking that the xkcd fora might have a few chiptune fans due to it's inherently nerdy nature.

For those not in the know,
wikipedia wrote:A chiptune, or chip music, is music written in sound formats where all the sounds are synthesized in realtime by a computer or video game console sound chip, instead of using sample-based synthesis. The "golden age" of chiptunes was the mid 1980s to early 1990s, when such sound chips were the most common method for creating music on computers. Chiptunes are closely related to video game music, which often featured chiptunes out of necessity. The term has also been recently applied to more recent compositions that attempt to recreate the chiptune sound for purely aesthetic reasons, albeit with more complex technology.

So chiptune is basically music made with oldschool videogame software/hardware to sound like oldschool videogame music.

A good place to look this stuff up would be 8-bit collective which has an abundance of excellent chiptune composers. Artists like FTFX and Sabrepulse

zombie_monkey

Re: Chiptune anyone?

Postby zombie_monkey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:33 am UTC

I know a lot of chiptune / 8-bit artists, I was a lot into it a few motnhs ago, I must dig up their names.

The_Entertainer

Postby The_Entertainer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:10 pm UTC

I'm definitely a fan. However, I must be in a certain mood to listen to it and enjoy (read: "appreciate") it. What that mood can be classified as remains a mystery even to me.
Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.
- Plato

Miike

Postby Miike » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 am UTC

One of my favorite pieces to just throw on repeat in and drown in all day is chiptune - music from... let's see... a cracked intro from Flashback (whatever that may have been!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwARaXB08I

ABSOLUTELY ADORE IT. I recommend using vidtomp3.com to throw it on your media player and hitting repeat. SO, so wonderful.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

One of the best tunes on the Beck remix album Güerolito was the 8-bit "Hell Yes." But that's about as much chiptune as I've listened to. I prefer groups like The Advantage or the One-Ups who take old game music and play it on live instruments.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

just-mark

Postby just-mark » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:51 am UTC

I'm starting to get into some chiptune music although I tend to favour artists that aren't "pure chiptune" as such. One of my most listened to artists at the moment is Breakbeat Heartbeat (I can't link yet due to post count but they can be found on Last.fm) where the chiptune elements are mixed with pianos and other sounds rather well in my opinion.
Latest Blog Post: Triple-booting a Phoenix Laptop
Blog Homepage: just-mark
Twitter: JustAnotherMark

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

I'm a fan of the folks who put together the Weezer chiptune tribute - some were quite awesome, though the site's bandwidth has unfortunately been exceeded (due to everybody and their friend Catherine linking to it) and I can't find an alternate.

Crystal Castles occasionally approach this style of music, though I doubt it technically qualifies as "chiptune" since it might not be rendered in real-time.

null1024

Postby null1024 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 am UTC

I'm a fan, but the stuff needs to be much, much harder than most normal chiptune stuff [I.e, forget the happy blips and beeps usually [it gets old, really fast, although if it's done right, it's not too bad], it needs to have a bit of a rougher sound to it].

See Sally Zero's LA Blues for what I mean. Google it. Ok, it's here: http://errorcode.gr/?p=32
Nothing but a gameboy with no post processing even. I'm still trying to replicate the rough leads, but on an NES instead.

bbq

Postby bbq » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

'cyber axe cafe' by phlogiston is a brilliant, brilliant song.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:27 am UTC

I *love* Dubmood's chiptunes. I have to be in a certain mood to listen to them, but they are pretty good.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/2218445
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Goatboy
may become less boring.

Postby Goatboy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

It's not proper chiptune, but I'm pretty sure "You Can Come to Me" by Helio Sequence uses a "skid to a stop" sound from Mario 3. I just heard it, it's pretty cool.
I have nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.
And some old pictures.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 am UTC

Bumping this thread due to new interest,

I love chiptunes! Also, I've created several in Famitracker.
Spoiler:

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 am UTC

I've always found it pretty cute and fun, but there's actually some pretty great strands coming out. My favourite is the dub stuff, labels like Jahtari are doing it.

http://www.jahtari.org/music/JTR01.htm - Click on the little play button on the record.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:03 pm UTC

Venetian Snares incorporated old NES sounds into one of his tracks, (aptly) titled Pwntendo. The positive points: the NES sounds are just ONE PART of the song; he only did it ONCE.

I recently heard a rendition of Squarepusher Theme, from Feed Me Weird Things, done entirely with NES sounds. Now I know how it feels to want to commit suicide.

Random-person

Postby Random-person » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

"High-fi" artists going low-fi usually sounds like crap. Just find the people who have always been doing low-fi instead.

I'd recommend Multifaros (previously called super multifaros), available at http://www.multifaros.info.se/ and Zentrix. Both Swedish chiptune musicians that aren't that famous, but still not completely unheard of internationally.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

I do really like chiptunes, although I don't listen to it nearly as much as I used to. Some artist I like are Random, Bit Shifter, Nullsleep, Dubmood, Paza, Zabutom, She and Unicorn Kid (not pure chiptune, but close enough). I would also recommend the High voltage sid collection, if you like the sound of the good old C64.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Charlemagne_

Postby Charlemagne_ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30 am UTC

I appreciate chiptunes, and do listen to them at times. However, I think you need to be in a certain mood to really enjoy it, and I find after a certain amount of time listening my appreciation for the genre heavily falls.

Steeler

Postby Steeler » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:48 am UTC

Punch-Out!!'s chiptunes are the best I've heard. I can't think of any bad ones I've heard, actually, off the top of my head, but I don't seek them out outside of videogames.
"What would happen if did you first know that do I say tell me about your feelings about him that you came to me the real reason explain anything else that you came to me?"
-Emacs Psychiatrist upon repeated presses of the enter key

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:26 am UTC

I sometimes do make chiptunes using VST plugins and a MIDI controller through Cantabile or Cubase, however, I do sometimes use a tracker(Madtracker) or GuitarPro(as sequencer).

I do a lot of experimenting :P

VST plugins that I recommend for this are VSTs that emulate old Commodore64 soundchips.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:41 am UTC

I've gotten most of mine from chipmusic.org. One favorite is the spirit of adventure. I can't find girls and cigarettes, though, which I wanted to link.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

prorophonique: 8-bit lagerfeuer
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “Music”