Post-rock thread...

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

dedalus

Post-rock thread...

Postby dedalus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

So, I checked back and couldn't find a thread on this, but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I put this up here for a few purposes, one to get a commentary from other people on post-rock, and secondly to hear about some other post-rock bands that I haven't heard of yet. As far as I know, I've been sitting in a fairly mainstream position as far as post-rock is concerned, having listened to (and loved) mogwai, sigur ros, explosions in the sky, godspeed you black emperor (and the silver mt zion orchestra), and to a lesser extent pelican, god is an astronaut and sleepmakeswaves. I've also found that god is an astronaut seems to get fairly same-ish after a bit of listening to, and having heard opinions from some that all post-rock is like this I'm fearing that there's not much to look forward to in terms of awesome bands I haven't heard of yet. So yeah, discuss??!
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

Blokey

Re: Post-rock thread...

Postby Blokey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:59 pm UTC

dedalus wrote:So, I checked back and couldn't find a thread on this, but maybe I'm wrong.

Here you go. Voila.
Only the tone of your own inner monologue separates a reading of superciliousness or philanthropy - Felstaff

King of Frogs

Postby King of Frogs » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:07 pm UTC

I'm not sure if they exactly count as post-rock, but I'm a big fan of Cult of Luna. They really fall under a lot of categories: sludge, post-metal, prog-metal, doom-metal, stoner-rock etc etc.

One of my favourite songs by Cult of Luna is called Waiting for You, it's off an album of theirs called Salvation, and lookee here, there's a link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8EeTYVk4dM
Caution, it is kinda looooong...
The first one to fall asleep when the revolution comes.
Cheese wrote:We should never talk ever again. Ever.

michaelandjimi wrote:"No, cease your sexual activities! The communists will invade!"

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

Have you checked out EF, Leech, Red Sparowes or Do Make Say Think? They are all quite different from each other but I've found them all enjoyable.
Might even want to have a look at The Appleseed Cast if you want to try something even more different.

While it is true that alot of post-rock can sound similar, that doesn't mean there are no good bands to be found.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Try Do Make Say Think - especially their albums Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord is Dead or Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

In addition to everything already mentioned, I recommend This Will Destroy You, Mono, Yndi Halda, The Ascent of Everest, Saxon Shore, and Unwed Sailor.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:34 pm UTC

Gregor Samsa is post-rock that doesn't really sound like most other post-rock, they're more gentle and minimalist and don't really rely on crescendoes or heavy drum beats. Their most recent album, Rest, is their best. There's a longer analysis of it in my scarcely-updated music blog.

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Yeah, Rest is for unwinding after a long day. Which reminds me, everyone interested in relaxing, drone-y post-rock would do well to check out Hammock.

neoteric

Postby neoteric » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Neato; I found something I am interested in.

I would strongly suggest Yndi Halda, as has been suggested in an earlier post, and would also suggest the Octopus Project and 65daysofstatic (specifically the song "radio protector").

Mogwai has a very extensive discography and I doubt you've discovered all of it, so a re-examination of them would probably be in order.

Also, if you find yourself getting bored with the monotony of post-rock, like I did, you can segway into other instrumental genres. When I got really interested in Mogwai, I found that they had worked on the soundtrack of "The Fountain" with the composer of the score, Clint Mansell. Clint Mansell has some really neat orchestrations with modern instruments. he also did the soundtrack for "pi," "Requiem for a Dream," and "Smokin' Aces." If you're looking for the more mellow side of instrumental music, listen to Warren Ellis' compositions for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am UTC

I have all the Mogwai studio albums and am an avid fan :P. Haven't got their movie soundtrack though, but yeah.

Ummm, can I ask for a thread merge please mods? I missed the previous one, sorry :(
doogly wrote:Oh yea, obviously they wouldn't know Griffiths from Sakurai if I were throwing them at them.

dedalus

Postby dedalus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:24 am UTC

So I got my first SMZ album today. Was a good choice too.

Just wondering though, what do people think about the difference between the avont-garde post-rock that SMZ/godspeed puts out compared to the more electronic and coherent stuff done by say, mogwai or explosions?

'electronic and coherent' isn't the best way of describing it, but anyone who's heard both can note a clear difference I think.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:37 am UTC

obligatory At the Drive-In and Fugazi references. Hell yes. I was listening to ATDI's third album (and somehow i'm forgetting the name. the one with pattern against user, rolodex propaganda, one-armed scissor, etc) and damn. damnnn.

plus if you listen to all three of their LPs in a row you can totally hear the change from their super rough 1st one to their kinda gritty/sandy second one to their very cleanly-produced last one.

fugazi is also excellent and have awesome shows that cost little.
uhhhh fuck.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Midnight wrote:obligatory At the Drive-In and Fugazi references. Hell yes. I was listening to ATDI's third album (and somehow i'm forgetting the name. the one with pattern against user, rolodex propaganda, one-armed scissor, etc) and damn. damnnn.

plus if you listen to all three of their LPs in a row you can totally hear the change from their super rough 1st one to their kinda gritty/sandy second one to their very cleanly-produced last one.

fugazi is also excellent and have awesome shows that cost little.

while both of those bands are excellent ("relationship of command" is the album title you're looking for), neither of them even remotely fall into the post-rock genre. you are possibly thinking of "post-punk".

WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WITH ALL THESE POST-GENRES?
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

mountaingoat

Postby mountaingoat » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:59 am UTC

With a genre like post-hardcore (a fancy way of saying alternative-emo), breakout bands are a dime a dozen and many never get more than 15 seconds of fame.
http://media.www.dailycampus.com/media/storage/paper340/news/2009/09/03/Focus/Making.Ground-3762331.shtml

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:47 am UTC

yeah that.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:At the Drive-In was an American post-hardcore band from El Paso, Texas, active from 1993 to 2001.
uhhhh fuck.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

ok, this thread is still about post-rock and NOT post-hardcore.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 am UTC

You're all missing the best one. 65daysofstatic, specifically their two more recent albums, The Fall of Math and The Destruction of Small Ideas.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:56 am UTC

AGREE WITH JESSE (who changed his avatar aughh i'm so confused now) and also I meant to post the ATDI thing in the posthardcore thread. a month ago. yeap.

65dos is really good though. Huge fan of them. I would murder to see them live.
Well, maybe manslaughter. but still.
uhhhh fuck.

galuf

Postby galuf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:05 am UTC

I've been into post-rock for like...5 years, I do think that Mogwai is the most mainstream post-rock band after Sigur Rós but I don't see how that has been bad at all...they were my first post-rock band, quickly became my favorite band and 5 years later they still are. They are just plain good. However, it's quite obvious that post-rock has very few rules for a 'genre' although artists don't aim at being part of a genre, at least good artists don't; so I'll name a few of very different styles which are all considered post-rock and are so good.

Classical-instrumental post-rock: Yes...like string quartets, piano artists and other stuff...mixed up, quite good and it's not the same as listening to some movie soundtrack as one would expect. Bands: Bersarin Quartett, Invert (or Invert strings quartett), Rachel's (amazing), Clogs (amazing as well), and Bell Orchestre (good).

Weird...fantasy-like post-rock: Well that's not the right name, specially since the bands are quite different, but they are really worth checking out: Efterklang(check out "caravan" and/or "step aside", Amiina ("Seoul"), Hrsta ("and we climb"), Peter Broderick, Stafrænn Hákon, World's End Girlfriend("singing under the rainbow"). (all of them are excellent, i'd stress that for Efterklang and Stafrænn Hákon).

Vocals on post-rock: Yes, some beat Sigur Rós. Bands: Audrey (quite special...one of my favorites, check out 'mecklenburg'), Jeniferever (a bit like Audrey but they're a bit more on the guitar post-rock band, really good though), A Northern Chorus (nice, relaxing, check out 'winterize'), Efterklang are here too, Under Byen (I found this band like 2 weeks ago, this music is just beautiful...I love the singer, check it out), Picastro (nice), Pluramon.

Expected to be post-rock bands: If you're into Mogwai, Exposions in the Sky, Mono, God is an Astronaut, you know...here are some bands I think are good: Yndi Halda (already mentioned), This will destroy you, sonna, pg. lost, immanu el, pirate ship quintet, if these trees could talk, beware safety, caspian, cecilia eyes, Laura, Immanu el, daturah, Sweek (!).

Not sure where to put them but they're a bit more chilled than the 'Expected to be post-rock bands', I like them a lot: The album leaf ("Thule", "twentytwofourteen"), Metavari ("cerulean"), The Six Parts Seven, Hammock, The american dollar.

I need some sleep so I'll stop it there, do check out Under Byen though...

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

Nobody's mentioned Slint yet. They were one of the first post rock bands (it wasn't really called post rock then I guess, but they sort of started it off), and Spiderland is an excellent album.

Grails are good too- check out Black Tar Prophecies I,II and III. (Stray Dog = awesome)

If you want to branch out a bit further, somewhere to go after post rock might be the Boredoms. Check out Vision Creation Newsun, it's noise rock but it's really uplifting, I think if you like post rock you might like it. Also, you might like some Glenn Branca. Listen to The Ascension, which is one of my favourite albums ever. It was recorded in 1981 though, so it's way before Mogwai and Godspeed and the rest. It's quite noisy, but it has some really epic moments.

Return to “Music”