Best and worst vocalist you have ever come across

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amie

Best and worst vocalist you have ever come across

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:21 am UTC

Vocalists can either make or break a band's position in the industry. Some of them just.shouldn't.sing.

Best vox - Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden. This guy has never ceased to amaze me with his pitch range and power and stage presence. When I went to see Maiden live, I couldn't take my eyes off of him for one second.
Robbie Plant from Led Zeppelin - I don't even have to say why but when he sings some songs, his pain, his anguish, his passion... everything just seeps into you. It's like tripping on music.

Worst vox - Justin Beiber. What the hell was he thinking? The boy is 12 years old. TWELVE. I have seen some singers blossom into wonderful vocalists at an age as tender as 6 but this guy can't hold his tunes in a bucket!
Summer is miles and miles away, and no one would ask me to stay.
And I, should contemplate this change... to ease the pain.
And I, should step out of the rain... turn away.

TaintedDeity

Re: Best and worst vocalist you have ever come across

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:43 am UTC

THe lead singer guy called Fish from Marillion is bloody awesome, I reckon.
I also enjoy hearing Regina Spektor sing because she's good.

Can you tell I don't know much about music by all these technical terms I'm using, eh?

As for bad singers, I am not fond of the lead singers from Aiden and Avenged Sevenfold.
They are nasally and whiny and I dislike it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Agreed, Avengend Sevenfold's singer is well not enjoyable for me.

As for best, I got more than one. Of course there's Freddy Mercury who just kicks everyone's ass all the time. Also, Kyo from Dir en Grey who's just insane.

And also, Jude Christmass from Batlle of Mice and Made out of Babies. Oh, and Jimmy Urine from Mindless Self indulgence.

I could go on forever. Dammit.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:55 pm UTC

TD - You like Regina Skeptor. Of course you know a lot about music!
Dasboard - Freddy Mercury... +1

Avenged Sevenfold is a good band all in all. I'm still not over the death of The Rev though :( RIP.

DYRE

Postby DYRE » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

Best vocals... hm, I dunno. But Cedric Bixler-Zavala's vocals always amaze me. Especially in At the Drive-In's album, Relationship of Command

Worst vocals... uh... most of the popular metalcore bands are dreadful. Pop-punk bands occasionally have good vocals. As do death metal bands. Combining poor attempts at both styles does not make for good music.

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:05 am UTC

Best: Hayley Westenra, Patti Russo

Worst: Bob Dylan

Meat Loaf could be best or worst depending on the year.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Amie wrote:TD - You like Regina Skeptor. Of course you know a lot about music!
Dasboard - Freddy Mercury... +1

Avenged Sevenfold is a good band all in all. I'm still not over the death of The Rev though :( RIP.

*Hugs Queen posters and shirts*

Meat Loaf could be best or worst depending on the year.

Meat Loaf is always awesome...

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Naw, Meatloaf can be a bad singer sometimes. The very first song I ever heard of him (I don't even remember which it is because I didn't bother to find out) was awful. I was surprised to know that Meatloaf was singing because I always heard good things about him. Took a lot of coaxing for me to listen to his good songs.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Hmm, guess so. Haven't listened to his older stuff actually. I just like the guy.

Lots of artists are pretty crap on their first albums.

CHR1110

Postby CHR1110 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

Best singer: Either Paul Rogers (BadCo, now occasionally w/ Queen), or Jim Morrison (Not for his lyrics, maybe, but vocals? Sure.)

Worst: Ohhhh...such a hard choice...probably Justin Beiber...or maybe that one kid that was all over YouTube...the one who sang that "Chocolate Rain" song, or whatever it was...

1337geek

Postby 1337geek » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:Meat Loaf is always awesome...

From his first record in 1968 to various records and musicals in the '70s, his voice was very pure and soulful, very enjoyable to listen to. His performance on the 1977 'Bat Out of Hell' album is simply astonishing. He started losing his voice towards the end of the 1978 tour, however. By 1981 his voice was completely shot. The 'Dead Ringer' album has great songs but the voice is awful. He got his voice back by 1983/1984 and, while a bit deeper, sounded just as good as ever. He stayed great through the '80s and the '90s. He still sounded great on the 2004 Melbourne DVD. On 2006's 'Bat 3' album he sounded very shaky and hollow. Studio tricks saved it from being completely awful. During his tour in 2007 he was simply not listenable. His voice went all over the place, and none of the places it went were good. 2008 was slightly better but I still thought he was done, gone, and over. I spoke too soon, however. A couple weeks ago he performed 'Bat Out of Hell' on a British talent show he's a judge on, and he nailed it! I actually look forward to his new album after that.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together." --Carl Zwanzig

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

I'm going to divide mine up between male and female, because it's pretty hard to compare male voices with female voices. And I hope we're comparing live voices here.

Best Female: Hayley Williams (Paramore). Her range and power is absolutely astounding. I actually get goosebumps whenever I listen to All I Wanted, specifically around the 2:40 mark of the song. Not to mention her lyrics always have a meaningful backstory for her, so it helps her sing with such emotion.

Best Male: Toss-up between Brad Delp (Boston) and Geddy Lee (Rush). Again, range and power. Brad Delp really shines in More Than A Feeling, being able to hold that high note for so long. It's kind of really amazing. Geddy Lee gets style points for a unique sound. Tom Sawyer. 'Nuff said.

Worst Female: Ke$ha. Obnoxiously nasal and sometimes sounds like she's trying to impersonate a stereotypical stuck-up Californian bitch (that's not a comment on Californians, but rather the stereotype of "bitchy and stuck-up girls"). That sort of sound is especially noticeable in Tik Tok during the "Now the party don't start 'til I walk in" part.

Worst Male: Toss-up between Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins) and Ian Watkins (Lostprophets). Billy, live, is unintelligible and airy with a nasal component on the higher notes (notes that tend to be in Smashing Pumpkins songs...sigh). Ian Watkins is just wobbly and whiny. It's kind of annoying.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

I vote -1 for Ian Watkins. He should really stick to drumming. Not that he's a brilliant drummer... just not as entirely horrible as he is at singing.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Best: Gavin Rossdale (of Bush) is a personal favorite. I feel like saying Dave Grohl (of most notably, Foo Fighters), but he's really just an amazing musician, not sure the vocals are his 'standout' point. I hold great respect for Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam), though the more recent albums aren't as great as previous.

Worst: Someone mentioned Robert Plant, but I cite him as the reason I don't like Led Zeppelin (*prepares self for wave of hate*). Songs are great until he starts singing... I will also run screaming from a room if I hear Nelly Furtado (specifically "I'm like a bird").

Can't really think of any else, since I don't really actively track singers I don't like. I guess singer of My Chemical Romance (if you can call it singing and not screaming).

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

1337geek wrote:
Dasboard wrote:Meat Loaf is always awesome...

From his first record in 1968 to various records and musicals in the '70s, his voice was very pure and soulful, very enjoyable to listen to. His performance on the 1977 'Bat Out of Hell' album is simply astonishing. He started losing his voice towards the end of the 1978 tour, however. By 1981 his voice was completely shot. The 'Dead Ringer' album has great songs but the voice is awful. He got his voice back by 1983/1984 and, while a bit deeper, sounded just as good as ever. He stayed great through the '80s and the '90s. He still sounded great on the 2004 Melbourne DVD. On 2006's 'Bat 3' album he sounded very shaky and hollow. Studio tricks saved it from being completely awful. During his tour in 2007 he was simply not listenable. His voice went all over the place, and none of the places it went were good. 2008 was slightly better but I still thought he was done, gone, and over. I spoke too soon, however. A couple weeks ago he performed 'Bat Out of Hell' on a British talent show he's a judge on, and he nailed it! I actually look forward to his new album after that.

Woah, I'm astonished by your awesome Meat Loaf knowledge!

I didn't knew he was working on a new album! Looking forward to it from now.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

Prozac!! *Dramatic shriek*

How could you?! He's the soul of that band and Page is the mind! Led Zep would never be the same without Plant! Different strokes, different folks, I guess.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 am UTC

Best would be Jeff Buckley.

Worst would be that guy in Dot Dot Curve:). Or Bob Dylan. James Iha fortunately stuck with bass, he was an awful singer even if he could sing in key--his voice was just weak.

Garm

Postby Garm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 pm UTC

My vote for worst would be Florance Foster Jenkins. I'm surprised no one has mentioned her yet. And since Freddy Mercury was dragged out dead people are allowed. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM0ly2WTSlw

For best: I like Adele, but I think that Sia and Neko Case have some of the best voices on the planet.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:07 am UTC

best: Freddy Mercury for reasons obvious.
Robert Plant had to grow on me; I thought he was way too nasal and annoying, but then I heard Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Communication Breakdown and I said "alright." Now, he's awesome.
John Lennon, for reasons obvious, also gets a spot. His voice carries a lot of emotion, methinks. Like in "girl". He's awesome in that song.
Jim Morrison is also really good (for me especially, cause I have a pretty low voice too, and while everyone else can sing bohemian rhapsody, I can go "bwahaha, I can sing the doors"). bluesy, soulful. good stuff.
Cedric Bixler-Zalava. Oh. My. GAWD. MY GAWD that man can sing. Like WHATTTT he can sing. I mean, in at the drive-in there was a lot of monotonish, almost spoken-word singing, and a lot of just raging hardcore intensity... punctuated by assstounding vocals. And I thought to myself "man, wouldn't it be cool if he showcased more of the pure singing, without any screams or spoken word stuff?"... which is when De-Loused in the Comatorium landed, and I said HOLY FCUCUCKING SHIT THE MARS VOLTA IS AWESOME. Cause that album, at least, was the best parts of Relationship of Command without the less-good stuff in early ATDI. But then the mars volta got bad. But that first album blew my mind. And I saw him live, and he can still sing like suchhhh a aaaa bbeea beabts beabtbs sbbebebeasst beast.
also good, further into the metal spectrum: vocalist for gojira. He is awesome. so awesome.
and janis joplin. She's really fantastic. Like a male robert plant. A lot of soul in there, too--it can bring one to tears.

Bad:
I would like smashing pumpkins a LOT, if not for billy corgan. I cannot stand his voice.
MOST death metal vocalists. It's more of the same, cause in the end, you just go "corpsegrinder" and all the other death growlers shit themselves. I don't like suicide silence but he can bust out some incredible sounds, so i gues there is that.
i don't like michael stipe's voice, from REM. partly because if you listen to the doom metal band 'warning', their singer sounds like a better michael stipe.

y'know, i don't like metal vocals as much as this list seems to let on.
uhhhh fuck.

Eliminator Jr.

Postby Eliminator Jr. » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

BEST VOCALISTS:

>> LISA MITCHELL has an amazing voice. Honestly the sweetest voice I've ever heard. She's well known for Coin Laundry and Neopolitan Dreams but she has so many great songs. Remind Me is probably my favourite.

>> SARAH KELLY, the vocalist from theredsunband, she's got an amazing voice. Like An Arrow was the first song I ever heard from them and is probably the best example of how great she is.

>> BEN HARPER. I can't say I have much of his stuff, just his album with the Blind Boys of Alabama and the album Burn To Shine with The Innocent Criminals and some Relentless 7 stuff, but yeah, he possibly has the best male voice ever.

WORST VOCALISTS:
Celine Dion, the guy from Simple Plan and the guy from Blink 182 for being to whiney and I can't remember but there are others.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:janis joplin. She's really fantastic. Like a male robert plant. A lot of soul in there, too--it can bring one to tears.

AGH! I completely forgot about this. I heard a live performance of her last year in R&R History, and had to cover my ears thinking "Who the hell is this banshee?!" (I hadn't been paying exceptionally much attention at the time).

Also, lot of people seem to dislike Billy Corgan, but I quite enjoy his vocals (on most songs). I mean... it's kinda clear from listening to him that he doesn't have what one would consider a singing voice, but he manages to make it work for him. I dig it.

[quote="Eliminator Jr]the guy from Blink 182 for being to whiney[/quote]
Which one, Blink 182 has 2 singers (I kinda figure I know which since one is definitely kinda 'whiney').

Also, I feel the need to add Silversun Pickups to the best category. Mostly because I want to know how a man can make that type of sound come from his voicebox. It doesn't seem humanly possible.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Eliminator Jr. wrote:WORST VOCALISTS:
Celine Dion, the guy from Simple Plan and the guy from Blink 182 for being to whiney and I can't remember but there are others.

Blink-182 is Tom DeLonge as far as "whiney" goes. I'd say that Blink-182 and Simple Plan are going for the angsty sound, and that translates into whiney. Try checking out Angels and Airwaves for a more mature sound for a band. It's the same vocalist as Blink-182 and isn't as angsty.

Also, I feel the need to add Silversun Pickups to the best category. Mostly because I want to know how a man can make that type of sound come from his voicebox. It doesn't seem humanly possible.

Hm. I dunno. Seems too airy for me on the soft parts and too... shouty(?) during the power parts. Or it could be that there're better examples. I'm only going off of Lazy Eye (Damn you, Guitar Hero!).
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 am UTC

In addition to all of the obvious ones (Freddie Mercury, Elton John):

I've gotta give props to Tom Waits for bringing character to his sometimes painful growl. He brings character to ballads in a way cleaner vocalists can't manage. Gotta love Nick Cave for the same reason. The best vocalists don't go for some generic vocal standard of excellent; they give their material weight. Another reason to call Joe Strummer my favorite of all time.

For Metallica's first few albums James Hetfield had a wonderful gift for sounding harsh and melodic without having to bellow. He's been doing some kind of weird resonant thing lately which doesn't sit well with me (it neuters the music), but for awhile there he was riding high.

Also for best: Chris Cornell in Soundgarden's prime, Maynard James Keenan (I find Tool so-so but what I do like about them is the bite and range added by Keenan's voice), Bjork, Stevie Nicks, Elvis Costello and Suzanne Vega (who just sounds all kinds of amazing). Regina Spektor is too damn precious to really take seriously but she pulls off her fluttery style most of the time.

You'll always find a worse vocalist than the ones you're familiar with - we seem to go between two extremes as a society - either a really high, bland and nasally singsong voice or a low, boring growly voice with absolutely no range (fuck thank you Nickelback/Seether/Puddle of Mudd/Godsmack/Staind).

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Gotta love Nick Cave for the same reason

I love that guy way too much.

Maynard James Keenan

He has a very interesting voice indeed. And enjoyable.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:56 am UTC

I think I'd like James Maynard Keenan as a vocalist a lot more if I actually enjoyed Tool's lyrical content. It really is the one thing about Tool that keeps me from liking Tool. The bass, te guitars, the drums, it's all good.. but I get sick of Keenan whining about the world while at the same time being So Cool And Deep cause he talks about Jung and arranges his lyrics in the Fibonacci sequence.
uhhhh fuck.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

You make a good point. I do agree some of their lyrics and their image is well, over the top. And pretty lame some times.

Now I will try to forget this so I won't enjoy the music anymore.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Fair point about the lyrics but points to them for still making it sound good. I mean what's the point of having god level lyrics when no one's going to listen to you? I like Tool. A LOT.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

Lyrics by themselves are art too.

Even though they're desinged to be listened to, they can be great to read too.

Anyway, I absolutly admire Tool's drummer and bassist. They're some of the best musician combinations ever.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:26 am UTC

I second Bruce Dickinson. He's awesomesauce.

Probably too easy, but Tarja Turunen is a pretty good vocalist. My female favourites I think are Vienna Teng and Azam Ali. Besides Bruce Dickinson, I think Alexander Veljanov from Deine Lakaien has an excellent voice.

Worst? Brian Molko from Placebo has a pretty unfortunate and whiny voice. I can't really think of anyone else whose voice annoys me quite that much offhand.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:Lyrics by themselves are art too.

Anyway, I absolutly admire Tool's drummer and bassist. They're some of the best musician combinations ever.

I agree with that. It's a really excellent foundation. Simply fantastic. And they really do work within the context of the music, even if it's music I don't like thattt much. I like 'em alright, but whatever.

I agree with the statement "lyrics by themselves are art too", but I think you're going the wrong way about it. I don't think they should be read. I think they should be beautiful, listened to. If I wanted to read something beautiful, I'd grab some Virginia Woolfe and ee cummings. If I want to hear something beautiful... I'm not going to listen to a song written in the style of ee cummings.
uhhhh fuck.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
Dasboard wrote:Lyrics by themselves are art too.

I agree with that. It's a really excellent foundation. Simply fantastic. And they really do work within the context of the music, even if it's music I don't like thattt much. I like 'em alright, but whatever.

I agree with the statement "lyrics by themselves are art too", but I think you're going the wrong way about it. I don't think they should be read. I think they should be beautiful, listened to. If I wanted to read something beautiful, I'd grab some Virginia Woolfe and ee cummings. If I want to hear something beautiful... I'm not going to listen to a song written in the style of ee cummings.

Lyrics as art can hardly be compared with Virginia Woolf or Cummings. They're not written for the same purpose. Lyrics are written to be sung and heard. Poems and stories are meant to be read. Lyrics are written to be combined with music. Which doesn't make it less enjoyable to read though.

Personally I like to read lyrics as they reveal something about those who wrote them. Lyrics give you much deeper insight in the message of the song than the music itself. Take the song "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane as example. If you would have a instrumental version, it would just sound good and have a awesome climax. But add the lyrics and it becomes one of the best hippie songs ever. What I'm trying to say is that lyrics add a lot to songs. ( Some songs however are supposed to be abstract and can still mean a lot without lyrics )

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I don't think they should be read. I think they should be beautiful, listened to. If I wanted to read something beautiful, I'd grab some Virginia Woolfe and ee cummings. If I want to hear something beautiful... I'm not going to listen to a song written in the style of ee cummings.

Inevitable counterexample:
Spoiler:
Four o'clock in the afternoon
and I didn't feel like very much.
I said to myself, "Where are you golden boy,
where is your famous golden touch?"
I thought you knew where
all of the elephants lie down,
I thought you were the crown prince
of all the wheels in Ivory Town.
Just take a look at your body now,
there's nothing much to save
and a bitter voice in the mirror cries,
"Hey, Prince, you need a shave."
Now if you can manage to get
your trembling fingers to behave,
why don't you try unwrapping
a stainless steel razor blade?

That's right, it's come to this,
yes it's come to this,
and wasn't it a long way down,
wasn't it a strange way down?

There's no hot water
and the cold is running thin.
Well, what do you expect from
the kind of places you've been living in?
Don't drink from that cup,
it's all caked and cracked along the rim.
That's not the electric light, my friend,
that is your vision growing dim.
Cover up your face with soap, there,
now you're Santa Claus.
And you've got a gift for anyone
who will give you his applause.
I thought you were a racing man,
ah, but you couldn't take the pace.
That's a funeral in the mirror
and it's stopping at your face.

That's right, it's come to this,
yes it's come to this,
ah wasn't it a strange way down?

Once there was a path
and a girl with chestnut hair,
and you passed the summers
picking all of the berries that grew there;
there were times she was a woman,
oh, there were times she was just a child,
and you held her in the shadows
where the raspberries grow wild.
And you climbed the twilight mountains
and you sang about the view,
and everywhere that you wandered
love seemed to go along with you.
That's a hard one to remember,
yes it makes you clench your fist.
And then the veins stand out like highways,
all along your wrist.
And yes it's come to this,
it's come to this,
wasn't it a strange way down?

You can still find a job,
go out and talk to a friend.
On the back of every magazine
there are those coupons you can send.
Why don't you join the Rosicrucians,
they can give you back your hope,
you can find your love with diagrams
on a plain brown envelope.
But you've used up all your coupons
except the one that seems
to be written on your wrist
along with several thousand dreams.
Now Santa Claus comes forward,
that's a razor in his mit;
and he puts on his dark glasses
and he shows you where to hit;
and then the cameras pan,
the stand in stunt man,
dress rehearsal rag,
it's just the dress rehearsal rag,
you know this dress rehearsal rag,
it's just a dress rehearsal rag.

Spoiler:
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats’ feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death’s other Kingdom
Remember us—if at all—not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.

Eyes I dare not meet in dreams
In death’s dream kingdom
These do not appear:
There, the eyes are
Sunlight on a broken column
There, is a tree swinging
And voices are
In the wind’s singing
More distant and more solemn
Than a fading star.

Let me be no nearer
In death’s dream kingdom
Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat’s coat, crowskin, crossed staves
In a field
Behaving as the wind behaves
No nearer—

Not that final meeting
In the twilight kingdom

This is the dead land
This is cactus land
Here the stone images
Are raised, here they receive
The supplication of a dead man’s hand
Under the twinkle of a fading star.

Is it like this
In death’s other kingdom
Waking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone.

The eyes are not here
There are no eyes here
In this valley of dying stars
In this hollow valley
This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms

In this last of meeting places
We grope together
And avoid speech
Gathered on this beach of the tumid river

Sightless, unless
The eyes reappear
As the perpetual star
Multifoliate rose
Of death’s twilight kingdom
The hope only
Of empty men.

Here we go round the prickly pear
Prickly pear prickly pear
Here we go round the prickly pear
At five o’clock in the morning.

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long

Between the desire
And the spasm
Between the potency
And the existence
Between the essence
And the descent
Falls the Shadow
For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
Life is
For Thine is the

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

I'd love to hear why one is better read than the other, or one is better sung than the other, or the difference between the poet's recording of the poem and the songwriter's recording of the song.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Probably because of the interesting things that can be done with music (dissonant chords, power notes that get belted, etc.) will make emotion that much more present in the song, giving mediocre lyrics a good feel. Granted, what can be done with music can also do the opposite and make good lyrics seem mediocre or even terrible. A good example of this is Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A Changin'.

Spoiler:
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside
And it is ragin'
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is
Rapidly fadin'
And the first one now
Will later be last

But if you listen to it, the harmonica is really grating on your eardrums, and Bob Dylan's voice gets kind of annoying.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 am UTC

H2SO4 wrote:A good example of this is Bob Dylan's The Times They Are A Changin'

This is definitely a matter of perspective, as I've always felt that the entire song has an aura of inevitability to it even before the one really excellent scene from Watchmen gave it a backing video in my mind. I'm really not a fan of Dylan's recent output, and I've only really heard that one song from his early days, so maybe I just haven't heard enough Dylan for his style to start grating on me.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
I'd love to hear why one is better read than the other, or one is better sung than the other, or the difference between the poet's recording of the poem and the songwriter's recording of the song.

I believe I misinterpreted your comment about reading lyrics. My sleep-addled brain thought you meant visually, just looking at the lyrics, not for their content. Because that song that's got lyrics in the Fibonacci sequence, when you read the lyrics, has a certain visual flow beyond the actual spoken words, just cause each line gets longer than the last.

I suppose I'm old-fashioned though. I prefer my poems read and my lyrics sung. And in the end, I'm still not going to like James Maynard Keenan's voice or lyrical content. I'll just youtube danny carey solos.
uhhhh fuck.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Mikael Åkerfeldt. Lead singer from Opeth. Can do the death metal growly just as well as anyone I have ever heard, but can sing like an angel when it's called for. Granted, it's a big, beefy, bearded, Swedish angel, but an angel nonetheless. Also in the metal zone, Phil Anselmo in his prime was incredible. Hell, I would have sex with him, and I'm straight. Russell Allen, singing for Symphony X. Oh god yes. Listen to Serpent's Kiss.

In the bad side of metal. Corpsegrinder. Ugh. So dull. Whatstheirnames from Trivum and Bullet for my Valentine.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Amie

Postby Amie » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Whatstheirnames from Trivum and Bullet for my Valentine.

Trivium, I know agreed but I actually love BFMV!

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

I would say that I like BFMV's old stuff, but not their new stuff. Their new stuff is a little too... unthrashy. It's not in-your-face enough like their first album. That being said, I don't really listen to them for the vocal talent.

Dasboard

Postby Dasboard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Agreed with H2SO4. They've become more melodic. They need more rage.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Maynard James Keenan and Dave Matthews are amongst my favorite vocalists, that's for sure. Although I might be biased since they play in two of my favorite bands. Tool is also the only "heavy" band I can listen to, since the vocals are not extremely high-pitched or composed of growl all the way down and the guitars doesn't sound like the twenty other heavy metal bands.
Also, perhaps, Nathan Willett of Cold War Kids and whoever is singing those raspy vocals in Dr. Dog.

I haven't heard many female vocalists, but if I had to pick one, as of now it would be Alanis Morissette.

As of worst ... well, I know for sure I don't like how Bob Dylan sounds live. Nothing else currently comes to my mind - I guess if the vocalist is really that bad, I stop listening immediately and forget about the band completely :)
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Return to “Music”