Pandora + Satriani = amazing

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

Pandora + Satriani = amazing

Postby Mishrak » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

If you like guitar music, I highly recommend (if you live in the US anyway) that you seed a Pandora.com radio station with Joe Satriani.

You get great musicians like:
Steve Vai
Yngwie Johann Malmsteen
The Black Mages (especially fun if you like Final Fantasy, but still great music if you don't)
Eddy Van Halen
Hendrix
SRV
and so much more.

I had no idea that Satriani had /so/ much music, so most of it is really fresh and new to me. I'd previously only heard his Surfing with the Alien album. I usually put it on while I'm playing a game, so I'm not watching the screen, and then I hear an incredible song pop up and it's Steve Vai or Malmsteen (both of whom I had never even heard of prior to this experiment). Seriously one of the best seeds I've ever planted on Pandora.

Twelfthroot

Re: Pandora + Satriani = amazing

Postby Twelfthroot » Sat May 01, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

I would like to heartily second this idea. I also strongly recommend including Pat Metheny. It's a different style in some sense, but aside from assuring that the station will showcase a constant stream of incredible guitar work, you get more varied musical atmospheres and a jazzier touch.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat May 01, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

I never got into Pandora. The one time I tried it, I gave it Bjork. It said "breathy female vocalist with electronica" and played Madonna and Jewel. I gave up on it quickly.

When Yahoo Launch was working, I gave it Bjork and got Radiohead and David Bowie, among others. I rather liked Launch. :(

Edit with something more on topic: I finally remembered the name of a friend's favourite guitarist. Allan Holdsworth is mostly known for jazz fusion, but he's done a variety of things.

Re-edit to add a note of trivia: Allan Holdsworth's favourite guitarist is (reputedly) Joni Mitchell.
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

I seeded with Dream Theater and got Satriani, and I agree, he's pretty damn good. I prefer the artists i get with DT though -- I also like 80s metallica, petrucci's solo albums, and the various other prog metal artists.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Sun May 02, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

Eh, I rather despise that sort of shred based music, except for Vai, whom I respect a lot as a guitarist but not so much as a composer.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon May 03, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

Some if it gets old, but when I'm in a guitar mood, it does the job. There's even some Rush in there which is a pretty different change of pace, but fits nicely with the amazing guitar genre. Sometimes metallica works its way in, but not a ton.

@poxic: How long ago did you try it? I know over the years they've gotten a lot better at matching music.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Yeah, it pretty much nails my tastes perfectly when I seed it. Since the database is almost entirely user-input, it improves naturally as more and more people use it longer and longer.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Tue May 04, 2010 1:14 am UTC

That might have been the problem. I think I tried it shortly after it started.

It seemed to pick artists that sounded (superficially) like Bjork, rather than artists that people listen to who also like Bjork (which is how Launch worked).
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Return to “Music”