Best place to get music?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

pooteeweet

Best place to get music?

Postby pooteeweet » Mon May 31, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Apologies if a similar topic already exists--it's one of those topics that's hard to figure out what keyword to search for.

I am a refugee of Lala, which Apple just killed today. For anyone who doesn't know, Lala was a very reasonable and user-friendly website for acquiring and listening to music. You could listen to any song once for free (none of that 10-second sample bullshit which makes it impossible to get a full idea of what the song is like). You could pay 89 cents to download a DRM-free mp3, or you could pay 10 cents per song to have it added to your collection of music that you could only access via the website. It was pretty goddamn awesome.

I'm pissed off enough about losing the music I paid for that I'll probably just eventually switch to pirating, but in the meantime (I want to learn how to do it properly and safely first) I'm wondering what the other options are these days. What programs/websites do you use? I don't want to risk signing up for something else and discovering (after I've paid money) that there's something about it that drives me bonkers.

The ideal music-acquiring mechanism would be pretty similar to Lala, in the following ways:

1.) No DRM. If I download an mp3 (and especially if I've paid for it fair and square) I want to be able to do whatever the fuck I want with it--put it on my ancient mp3 player, copy it to a new computer if my current one dies, etc.

2.) Some kind of reasonable pricing scheme. I can't afford to build up an adequately-sized music library at $1 per song, that's just insane. Something close to $1/song for full, DRM-free downloads is acceptable if there are other, cheaper ways of listening to music when you can't afford the download.

3.) A listening interface that doesn't totally suck balls. Doesn't need to be anything fancy (or anything at all if I'm just downloading DRM-free files to my computer) but it needs to be tolerable.

4.) Doesn't seem likely to get bought out and shut down any time soon (I don't know how one would go about estimating the likelihood of this, but... I assume there are some people out there who are more tech/business savvy and might have some ideas about what's going on at any given time).

iTunes pisses me off and Pandora makes my computer crash (at least, it did as of a few months ago. I may give it another try).

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Re: Best place to get music?

Postby Dasboard » Mon May 31, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

Don't know about sites really but I can tell you about downloading.

Vuze is safe, good and free. It has it's own search engine bt if it doesn't find the music you want, you can search on the web and open it with Vuze to start the download. After the download, do whatever the hell you want with the downloaded files. ( Note: Vuze is better for whole albums, compilations and discographies not for individual tracks. )

And if you get yourself Winamp, which is a very sweet music player, which plays pretty much anything and is easy to use looks nice, etc... ( It also has psychadelic background shit! ) you'll have a good combination to get the best out of your downloaded music.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon May 31, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

Winamp, huh? It's been years since I used that, I was probably just going to use VLC or something. I don't remember if there was anything I disliked about Winamp, I think I just stopped using it when iTunes became popular. I feel like I remember my more computer-geeky friends badmouthing it but maybe I'm just thinking of Windows Media Player or something.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Mon May 31, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

No idea, haven't heard anything bad about Winamp. Windows media player is just crap. ( I used it for a long time because my computer turned itself of whenever I tried using Winamp. ) And well, I'm not too fond about using VLC for playing music but I always use it for watching movies, anime, etc...
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon May 31, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

Slightly off topic, but I use the Orbit downloader to grab music videos online, which is pretty nice. (I originally used it to download online lectures! Gah!)

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon May 31, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

For most of my music I've used either skreemr or mp3raid. Some you can download through them, others you might have to pay for. With both you can listen to most, if not all, in their entirety.
PRG

An important message for you:

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:52 am UTC

I like zune's deal. Fifteen dollars a month, download anything, keep it all unless you pay for it. Get ten songs for free permanently per month. Burn anything to CD.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 am UTC

Grooveshark. Unlimited, free music. You can save playlists too. You can download the music too, if you really want. I heard some of the money goes to the uploader, but they might've discontinued that.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:46 pm UTC

Spotify is okay, if it's available in your country, but haven't found out how they do DRM yet. Couldn't be bothered to look it up actually :oops:

I have to say though that for me, a well-stocked brick-and-mortar store with staff members who know music is by far the best place to get music. Think "High Fidelity". I want to phyiscally own as much of my music as I possibly can.
Quack!

pooteeweet

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Yeah, but hard copies are so cumbersome and prone to damage. And they also tend to cost close to $1 per song and you can't make playlists on your cd/record player.

Planning on checking out some of these suggestions this week, thanks guys!

TechnoKid

Postby TechnoKid » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

That Groove shark looks good. Also if you dig electroncia and techno, techno music news has a decent number of mixes etc

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

I buy my music from Boomkat usually, which is a great place for independent music. You can preview the tracks in their entirety, but they do put a watermark on there. I find it quite reasonable, price wise, especially for mp3's. And they have killer sales.

Although, a lot of the time I just go directly to the labels website to buy music.
i dare you to take me on...

EvilDuckie

Postby EvilDuckie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

pooteeweet wrote:Yeah, but hard copies are so cumbersome and prone to damage. And they also tend to cost close to $1 per song and you can't make playlists on your cd/record player.

That's correct. You can however rip them to mp3's and then do all of those things :)

Call me old-fashioned, but to me part of the thrill of finding and getting to know new music is in the chase. I enjoy flipping through a bin of cd's or lp's and stumbling across something cool.
Quack!

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

tin wrote:I buy my music from Boomkat usually, which is a great place for independent music. You can preview the tracks in their entirety, but they do put a watermark on there. I find it quite reasonable, price wise, especially for mp3's. And they have killer sales.

Hah, I was just coming in here to recommend Boomkat. I've been shopping at Boomkat for probably about 8 years now, they've never let me down. In addition to everything tin said, they have two great newsletters - one every Friday for new albums and singles, with pretty good descriptions of what they are and why they're good (or bad), and the other is 14 tracks.

Boomkat wrote:We've created '14tracks' because we feel it's now harder than ever to wade through the sheer volume of music available out there and find what you're looking for.

Regardless of whether you're knowledgeable and thirsty for music but just don't have much spare time, or whether you've been introduced to a kind of music - be it Dub, Pop, Techno, Dubstep, Modern Classical, Americana or whatever else - and want to find more but just don't know how, or where to start. Or maybe you just want someone to put together a selection of music that will soundtrack your next train journey or evoke images of places you've never been to - but you want that selection to be fresh and exciting and, even better, completely new to you.

'14tracks' has been designed and conceived with that process in mind - narrowing down virtually endless possibilities to form a catalogue of hand-picked selections united by theme or genre, bound by a particular style, or with some kind of common narrative in mind. Our selections aren't meant to be definitive, they have been specially compiled and curated in order to introduce you to incredible music that might otherwise have passed you by. The selections are made up of those tracks that have filled our record boxes, music that has always triggered a reaction, that people have asked us about whenever we've played them out, or when they've passed by our office and wanted to know what it was we were playing.

Return to “Music”