Trance\Techno music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Omerprime

Trance\Techno music

Postby Omerprime » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

So up until now my taste in music was not very wide: I listened mainly to jazz, classical music, blues, rock and metal. I just couldn't stand listening to anything else.
A few days ago a friend of mine dragged me to a club where they were playing mainly trances and techno music, and I really started to like the genre. Mainly the songs with no lyrics, but thats just a preference.
For example: they put on "Sand Storm"(DDR-Darude), "Dream Way"(Dereck Recay) and "Philosophy"(Tom Snare). Which were three really cool\fun songs.

Anyways, I was wondering what other people thought of the genre, maybe get a few song suggestions.
ImageImage

Dream
WINNING

Re: Trance\Techno music

Postby Dream » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Hey, where did all these worms come from?

...oh, it was when you conflated trance and techno. :)

Try Sasha for trance. Try Surgeon for techno. I'm not going to get into the genre wars here, but the two are very different. Still, congratulations on discovering electronic dance music, it's so awesome you're going to love it.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:34 am UTC

The only thing that comes close for me would be Infected Mushroom, who are amazing. Check'em out.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 am UTC

I could stare you in the eyes and rattle off about this for hours. To begin with, I think the term you're looking for when you lump trance and techno together is "electronica" (Or electronic music if you've got something against that term) :P. I think I'll stick with 10 or 15 minutes, though. For a quick list of some of my favorites, here's the artists and a sample song from each:

Renard (Figurehead)
Random Number Generator (Syst3m Sh0ck)
Dimrain47 (Operation: Evolution) (Though he seems to have dropped off the map, so don't expect anything new)
B0UNC3 (Crying Soul)
cornandbeans ({Final Aggression})
Goukisan (Betrayal of Fate)

My personal favorite artists are Dimrain47 and Renard, along with a couple more obscure of the Newgrounds artists. But those are some of the more famous "indie" electronica artists (If there is such a thing -- It's been my experience that the vast majority of electronica is done independently.)

Renard is pretty much my all-time favorite after I discovered him. He spans multiple subgenres of electronica, including speedcore, dubstep, junglestep, techno, trance, etc. He seems to focus on drums and sampling for the majority of his music though, and might be a little off-topic for what this thread is looking for.

B0UNC3 is fairly popular, his brand of trance is pretty straightforward and clean, leaning a little towards pop music than experimental.

RNG is a newer artist, I'm not entirely sure what to make of him yet. He seems interested in heavier sounds and distortion/effect-based trance music. Not that I mind, it turns out rather well most of the time.

Goukisan is a bit older, but still a rather popular trance artist. His music is really powerful stuff, though earlier works are rather repetitive. He likes both electronic sounds and heavier, guitar sounds as his songs like Betrayal of Fate and Rock Orchestra compare to Illusions and A Wandering Mind. Doesn't seem to have created much music lately, though.

cornandbeans is well known from all of his songs, because of the telltale {Song Name Here} tags on each one. I guarantee that if there is a flash rhythm game out there, he's got a song in it. He also spans a lot of genres, trance, techno, house, drum'n'bass, etc. and performs at least decently in each.

Oh god, I did it again. Well, have fun with your journey into trance, techno, dubstep, junglestep, rave and whatever other types of electronica you feel the need to get into :D
Last edited by BurningLed on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Phill

Postby Phill » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

I used to be really into DJing - trance was the music which started me out on it. I still like it although I haven't really listened to any new stuff in a long time.

I did do a mix of old trance stuff which you might enjoy which you can find here.

You might enjoy some mix sets from a couple of friends who do still DJ trance kind of stuff:

Carl Briggs
Lazarus

Phill

Tank10

Postby Tank10 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

Electronica is pretty awesome; there are so many different genres. An old song I still like is called FireWire by DJ Scot Project. It's hard dance. If you like trancy stuff, listen to Words by Dance Nation. And if you had fun at the rave club, remember to go to the big raves. Some of them are crazy.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Trance/Techno is what I listen to most of the time... I was very much into trance for years, did some DJing too. Now it's more techno and minimal stuff that get me. My overall taste in music is really off-center and most of it isn't easy to listen to, so I don't know if my recommendations can come in handy for a newcomer, but there's no harm in trying :) if after all you like the sasha-digweed-mainstream house/techno better then godspeed.

Techno
Deadbeat - amazing dub-techno and a must-see live performance. Turned more housey lately.
Boris Brejcha - soothing, sophisticated minimal techno.
Richie Hawtin - a staple of minimal techno, pretty much invented it back in the 90's. His stuff is mostly solid and interesting, his label "Minus" less so.
Eargoggle - interesting, fun electro.
The mole - tech-house, very creative and interesting. Mostly releases on the Wagon Repair label, they're worth checking out.
Sweet'n'Candy - minimal tech-house. A bit clubby but mostly good.
Tresor - German techno label, on the harder-industrial side of things.
Drumcode - Swedish techno label, harder and more rave-ish stuff.
Dumb Unit - Canadian label, more melodic detroit-techno stuff but sophisticated and versatile.
Radium - hard techno. Rave-ish, hard-hitting stuff.

Trance
Artifakt - the king of kings from South Africa. Melodic, high-energy and very psychedelic.
Penta - a very serious contender. More tech-ish high-speed bleepy stuff. Even more psychedelic.
Cosmosis - a bit more laid-back and melodic, beautiful music.
Juno Reactor - old-timer psytrance-superstars. Interesting and genre-mixing.
Freq - softer, housey, blissful.
Andromeda - somewhat like Freq just more tech-ish.
it seems like there can't be a discussion of trance without touching Infected Mushroom. They were as gods around the turn of the millennium, I've seen them live in '02 and thought I died and went to heaven. Since then it has been a downward spiral into pop-y, commercial nastiness. Still, anything they put out up to and including '01 is top of the line. Skazi (another Israeli veteran trance-superstar) is even worse from where I'm standing. I don't know, give them a try, maybe you'll like them better.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Question here:
I've been listening to different electronica genres for some time. I like DnB, House, dubstep, Trance and Techno. However, I have a very hard time finding large quantities of music. Usually I look up an artist on youtube and listen to the few songs I can find, but there are rarely enough to get a good idea. Where could I find more? Also, where can I buy this music?

I have a lot of space on my iPhone to fill up...

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Where are you?

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Québec, Canada.

I never noticed electronica sections at the music stores around here (HMV usually).

Anything online would be preferable.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Ah, see I'm in the UK, and I have no idea what is and isn't internationally available. I'd buy my electronica from boomkat.com mostly, but they're UK based and I don't know if you can get them where you are. I'd also recommend Spotify, but again...

HMV is not your friend for really good electronics. You should probably start with google and a map of Monteral, then see if the people you find have online stores.

So I'm not much help, sorry. :)

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:40 am UTC

Vincent91 wrote:Also, where can I buy this music?

For trance & house you can try Psyshop - they sell CDs and vinyls

if you're into buying MP3s then Beatport is very good for techno and house

both offer listen samples so you can get to know new stuff
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Return to “Music”