Psychedelic Rock

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sje46

Psychedelic Rock

Postby sje46 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:55 am UTC

This is my favorite genre! It's pretty much all I listen to. Favorite groups include Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who (Sell Out), Love, the Move, Moby Grape, Jefferson Airplane, but mostly I just listen to Nuggets (psychedelic rock compilations). I have to listen to more Jimi and Cream and Doors. What do you like?
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Re: Psychedelic Rock

Postby philsov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

It's such a... umbrella/subjective genre, but for more recent psych rock I'm a decent fan of Super Furry Animals. Their DVDs are pretty trippy on top of it all, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUoc6Wv72cs

The Kinks get a nod by me, as well. So does MGMT. Never really got into the flaming lips, though.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

er, do Thee Oh Sees count? They're a bit more undergroundy/garagey than pure psychedelic, but that's definitely a strong influence in the.
uhhhh fuck.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

My favorite psychedelic bands right now are probably Bardo Pond, Boris, and Six Organs of Admittance.

Bardo Pond plays fuzzy, spacey, shoegazey and borderline drone psychedelic jams. Most of their music sounds like, if it wasn't improvised outright, it was written just before recording. I like that, it gives it a fresh and genuine feel. The downside is that they can be sort of hit or miss. Lapsed, Dilate, and Amanita are all stellar albums by them.

Boris switch up styles quite a bit between tracks and between albums, but they always veer well on the side of psychedelic. Mostly they alternate between drone and ambient music and fast-paced, high-energy lo-fi stoner rock. They try to record everything as close to one take as possible, which gives their recordings a lot of energy. Their best albums are probably Pink, Rainbow, Flood, and Akuma No Uta, but pretty much everything they record is worth checking out. Their collaboration with SunnO))) is also decent.

Six Organs of Admittance is one guy playing psychedelic folk and drone, mostly via the acoustic guitar, ranging from fairly straightforward songs to drawn out instrumentals to ambient noise. My favorite of the three, but I have the least to say about him. You just have to listen and chill. School of the Flower and Dark Noontide are probably his best.

Plus a lot more, psychedelic music is probably most of what I listen to. I don't really consider it a genre so much as an attitude towards music that can manifest itself in any genre.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:32 am UTC

A lot of stuff from Wolfmother, especially the new album, Cosmic Egg, adds some serious psychadelic Cream/Pink Floyd influence on top of some of the best hard rock around.

PlayingMonkey

Postby PlayingMonkey » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

Porcupine Tree.

'nuff said.
I require something interesting here. Alas, I have no intelligence or patience to deal with it.

Quibop

Read my ridiculous blog http://randomlyevolving.blogspot.com/

Return to “Music”