Picky About New Music, Plz Help Me Find Some

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Zanmanoodle

Picky About New Music, Plz Help Me Find Some

Postby Zanmanoodle » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

alright internet, let's find me some new music! I like hard rock, blues, garage, punk, etc. Some bands to go off of:
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Stooges
The Strokes
The Vines
The White Stripes
Tom Petty
New York Dolls
MC5
The Raconteurs
Cream
The Black Keys
Silversun Pickups
Sonic Youth
Nirvana

Midnight

Re: Picky About New Music, Plz Help Me Find Some

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Postrock, maybe? like Maserati, or something. Start with "Inventions for the New Season." If you want it a bit lower-fi and chill, go with "The Language of Cities", if you want it cleaner and kinda catchier, try "Passages"

Hard rock, blues, garage, punk... Garage sounds like King Khan, you could try him. My sister's a big fan. She also likes Thee Oh Sees, so you could try that.
Interpol looks good from what you listen to--go through their stuff chronologically, starting with Turn on the Bright Lights.
If you wanna try modest mouse, go with "The Moon and Antarctica" and "Lonesome Crowded West" if you want it poppier try later albums like "Good News for People Who Love Bad News", and if you want it grungier and more... meth-addicted in the backwoods of washington state... go backwards to Interstate 8 and This is a Long Drive With Nothing to Think About.
uhhhh fuck.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:11 am UTC

For more punkish, a favourite of mine is The Offspring, try Self Esteem and Come out and play ( keep'em seperated ).

Maybe also for some folk rock/punk, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, try their earlier stuff like Brother my cup is empty, Papa won't leave you Henry and Thirsty Dog. ( Newer stuff is also great but, different. )

You might also like the Talking Heads. They're uuh... weird. A mix of rock, electronic, soul and a lot of things. Try Psycho Killer, Slippery People, Road to Nowhere and actually anything else.

I could go on for hours, but let's leave it with this.

Edit: Above poster is awesome, Modest Mouse are brilliant. Their newest album is also great. No One's first and you're next. Check out the song King Rat.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

Also, don't feel you have to restrict yourself to this thread, there's tonnes of threads in this subforum and they're all about music that you could potentially listen to.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:29 am UTC

The post-rock stuff isn't exactly what I was thinking of, but is pretty good still. I'm getting some serious Meddle-era Pink Floyd vibes (that's a good things!)

Also, Dasboard, I know most of those bands, and like them a lot (save for the Offspring. I never could like 90's punk that much.)

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Zanmanoodle wrote:alright internet, let's find me some new music! I like hard rock, blues, garage, punk, etc. Some bands to go off of:
Led Zeppelin
The Who
The Stooges
Cream

Rolling Stones (I would just do best of), Velvet Underground (Velvet underground and nico., Velvet Underground for more mellow), Creedence Clearwater Revival (just do best of for them too...you'll recognize and love their songs), the Doors (the Doors)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

Thanks, though I already love all of those bands. If it's been played on the radio a few times, I know it. Thanks, though.

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

Take a risk and listen to Portugal. The Man's album Waiter: 'You Vultures!'.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

Sleater-Kinney
Titus Andronicus
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Return to “Music”