Where has rock gone?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Internetmeme

Where has rock gone?

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Just look at it today: We've got horrendously shallow over-hyped pop divas and crappy it-all-sounds-the-same pop music. "country" is just pop music with a fake southern accent. And...that's it. It's not even that rock isn't popular anymore: If that were so than Guitar Hero/Rock Band wouldn't have done as well as they did.
Why doesn't this generation have its Beatles, Stones, Aerosmith, or Sabbaths?
And why does all the music coming out now sound like crap?

And then this "new rock" that's coming out is all the same: Some sad song about love with a singer with a slightly british accent and half the time the guitarist is too afraid to even do a decent solo.

Why? Why can't there be actually decent rock nowadays?

And does anyone have any good newer (non-screamo/death metal) bands to recommend?
Spoiler:

Dream
WINNING

Re: Where has rock gone?

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 am UTC

I am so fucking sick of this bullshit. The world is chock full to bursting point with great music. There's no mystery, no conspiracy hiding it from you, and it's not buried so far underground that you'll never hear it. Just turn off the commercial radio, and start engaging your brain when you think about what to spend your time listening to.

Make some fucking effort if you care so much, that's all it will take.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 am UTC

Dream wrote:I am so fucking sick of this bullshit. The world is chock full to bursting point with great music. There's no mystery, no conspiracy hiding it from you, and it's not buried so far underground that you'll never hear it. Just turn off the commercial radio, and start engaging your brain when you think about what to spend your time listening to.

Then please, be my guest and back up your opinion. If there's so much out there I would love to hear a fraction of it.
In other words: [Citation Needed]
Spoiler:

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:21 am UTC

How about some Airbourne? Wolfmother? Foo Fighters?

Can't think of any others, did I help at all?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:23 am UTC

I absolutely refuse to even entertain citing for the existence of good music. Asking me to do it just solidifies my opinion that you're just lazy. You know where to find music, and if you put some time into doing it you'd find what you like. What I think is great doesn't come into it.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Coheed and Cambria? Muse? Gogol Bordello? Rammstein?

Hell, I'm just pulling out some well known names from the top of my head. Also, why the fuck bring up the Beatles? They weren't rock, never even came close. In fact, they're responsible for the boy bandy shit we see plastered everywhere nowadays. Because of The Beatles we have to put up with JLS.

Ooh, how about The Killers? They were even on Rock Band.
Fuck it, let's go into the world of post-rock. You fucking love guitars? Check out 65daysofstatic, or Not For Want of Trying.

Also also, country music is just pop? Listen to Brad Paisley's "I'll Take You Back" and tell me that isn't some fantastic guitar playing.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Jesse wrote:In fact, they're responsible for the boy bandy shit we see plastered everywhere nowadays. Because of The Beatles we have to put up with JLS.

Though it's possible that their groundbreaking "bass player on lead vocals" experiments paved the way for Lemmy, so that's something...

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:34 am UTC

What can I say? I just like blaming The Beatles for everything.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:45 am UTC

Please Please Me was released in January 1963 and by November, John F. Kennedy was dead.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:46 am UTC

That is the second time I have spat Diet Coke all over my computer tonight, you funny bastard.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 am UTC

Any time :)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Why doesn't this generation have its Beatles, Stones, Aerosmith, or Sabbaths?
And why does all the music coming out now sound like crap?

Beatles: I dunno, MGMT? Even the Arcade Fire sounds like 'em sometimes. Oasis. Ben Folds? Dr. Dog sounds EXACTRY like them.
Stones: I didn't listen to the stones as much so I can't help you directly.
Aerosmith: is super cheesy. But if you like that, what about the killers? The arctic monkeys? Rock Kills Kid?
Sabbath: Srsly? Srsly. So much. Sooo much. The entire genre of metal was because of them. Even like.. dude. The Mars Volta. Tiamat. Baroness. Mastodon. Muse.

you're naming four incredibly influential bands. Trust me, you will find millinos of bands that sound like one of them. Probably hundreds that sound like all four of them.

but like, weezer is good.
uhhhh fuck.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 am UTC

Dream wrote:I am so fucking sick of this bullshit. The world is chock full to bursting point with great music. There's no mystery, no conspiracy hiding it from you, and it's not buried so far underground that you'll never hear it. Just turn off the commercial radio, and start engaging your brain when you think about what to spend your time listening to.

I think I'm going to lock this thread, split this post out with the title of "Why does all the new music suck?" and staple it to the top of this forum.

Objections?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:55 am UTC

Probably be better if you threw a link to last.fm in there too.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Objections?

None. But I don't know if stickying alone will be enough. Can you have Christopher Walken narrate it?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Hm. He doesn't owe me a favor. Hayden Christensen does, but.. that's not nearly the same thing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

No, we want people to pay attention, not angrily leave the room and curse our names.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Beatles, Stones, Aerosmith, or Sabbaths?
One of these things is not like the others.

EDIT: But seriously?
As luck would have it, psychedelic pop has exploded in the past few years, and there's a lot of Beatles worship going on. And Sabbath worship is as big as ever, hell, they've got entire fucking genres based after them. Stones? I don't know too many off the top of my head, but if you want dirty blues-based rock there's a little band called The White Stripes, as well as Jack White's several side projects, to keep you occupied.

There's a lot of music out there, probably music that perfectly fits whatever appetite you might have. But assuming it doesn't exist won't do you any good.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Probably be better if you threw a link to last.fm in there too.

pandora as well.
uhhhh fuck.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:
Jesse wrote:Probably be better if you threw a link to last.fm in there too.

pandora as well.

Sure, if you like guessing.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:49 am UTC

I'll explain this a simply as I can...

First, the generations of past have just as much embarrassing pop as we do now. Ever hear of the Disco Era?

Second... The White Stripes (Jack White is THE modern guitar god), The Strokes, The Vines, Wolfmother, Airbourne, JET, Pearl Jam, The Blue Van (okay, they ARE a bit too underground, but they're a fave), The Raconteurs, Stone Temple Pilots, Phoenix, MGMT (if you like psychedelic), Coheed and Cambria, etc etc etc

HERE'S YOUR DAMN CITATIONS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuK6n2Lkza0&feature=av2n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjJ7KCBykVU&feature=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjTspCqvk8&feature=av2e
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0H3RlaQVrM

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 am UTC

I'd post some of my favorite contemporary rockers, but I'd hate to sully their reputations by having you become a fan.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:10 am UTC

Great rock music is everywhere these days. In fact, I usually have the exact opposite problem - there's so much stuff coming out that I love that I can barely keep up with it, let alone afford all the CDs I want to buy. If anything, the internet being what it is has encouraged a lot of adventurous new sounds to take hold and gain popularity that they never would have achieved in the era of AM radio and 8-tracks. If you think were living in some kind of creative drought, you really aren't looking at all. (Judging by the fact that you're posting here, I'd assume that you're at least moderately internet-savvy, so you pretty much have no excuse.)

But . . .

Zanmanoodle wrote:Jack White is THE modern guitar god

Sorry, dude, but as a guitar player, I can't let this one slide. Jack White is not that great. Sure, he's nailed the rock-and-roll attitude, but there's dozens, if not hundreds, of guitarists that can play circles around him without breaking a sweat. And I know, it's not all about how fast you can play or how many exotic scales you know, but you really have to hold yourself up to some sort of standard in order to be taken seriously. Like tuning your freaking guitar before playing. He seems to have no respect for players that spend their whole lives diligently working on their technique and songwriting skills in efforts to create beautiful, resonant, emotional music that apparently has no "soul." Whatever that means. Sorry, he just pisses me off. [/rant]
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Here, a serious answer. They've done nothing new musically in this one, it's just a fun fucking song.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

Zanmanoodle wrote:Ever hear of the Disco Era?

I like disco, thank you.
Zanmanoodle wrote:(Jack White is THE modern guitar god),

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I stopped reading THERE.

In other news:
Clutch is an excellent example of nothing-new-musically rock. Me, I like expannndin' the proverbial horizons to music that might sound different than Pink Floyd--who I love. But if I want to listen to something that sounds like 'em, I listen to 'em. I don't look for bands that sound like them. Now if I wanna listen to "pink floyd on mushrooms while listening to electric wizard" I get out the Tiamat.
uhhhh fuck.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:In other news:
Clutch is an excellent example of nothing-new-musically rock.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand I stopped reading THERE.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

I.. yeah. I'm not even sure how to address that. Also, I mean.. don't get me wrong, Tim Sult's pretty nice, but I'm not listening to Clutch for the instrumentals when there's all that wacky shit Neil is saying.

Although, I suppose since they do adhere to the Guitar+Bass+Standard Drums+Vocals+Organist* with not a Trumpet or Cello or Sousaphone in sight...

*They didn't start with one and don't have one now, but they did for a 4 or 5 year period.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

LeagueOfMorons wrote:

Sorry, dude, but as a guitar player, I can't let this one slide.
And as a guitar player I'd...be inclined to agree? I wouldn't say he's the best but I prefer him to all the Joe Satrianis and Steve Vais of the world who, for all their technical mastery, can't seem to write a song that doesn't bore me to tears. I mean, it's admirable that they've spent years honing their skills, but it doesn't mean anything to me if they can't write a song that clicks with me emotionally. It's music, not athletics.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 pm UTC

Okay... I'll admit I fucked up on this one and made myself look like an ignorant asshole.

Thank you all for completely proving me wrong.
Spoiler:

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

System of a Down is pretty good, yet modern.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:34 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:

And as a guitar player I'd...be inclined to agree? I wouldn't say he's the best but I prefer him to all the Joe Satrianis and Steve Vais of the world who, for all their technical mastery, can't seem to write a song that doesn't bore me to tears. I mean, it's admirable that they've spent years honing their skills, but it doesn't mean anything to me if they can't write a song that clicks with me emotionally. It's music, not athletics.

Jack White actually has an original sound from his guitar, which I require from my guitar gods.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 am UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:

Fair enough. Emotional connection is a pretty damn subjective thing. Satriani and Vai (and any number of other guitarists, for that matter) have all kinds of songs that inspire an emotional reaction out of me, but if it doesn't "click" with someone else, it's not like I can force them to hear it the way I do. So I concede that point.

But I'm not saying you have to be a shredder to be worth my time, either. The Edge is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. He doesn't play that fast. He just plays well. He clearly puts a lot of thought and effort into the music he creates. And yeah, he's pretty out-there in terms of the effects he uses and all that, but I wouldn't call him an athletic showoff by any means.

But Jack White, specifically, just pisses me off. Something about his attitude in interviews and his air of superiority, like he's the only one out there still making real rock & roll. His talent-to-ego ratio is terribly skewed, if you ask me.

Idk. This is getting off-topic, so I'll put a sock in it.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

Zanmanoodle wrote:
TheAmazingRando wrote:
LeagueOfMorons wrote:

Jack White actually has an original sound from his guitar, which I require from my guitar gods.

That's cause if you stripped him of effects pedals he'd sound pretty bad.
uhhhh fuck.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

To LoM: History has proven time and again that complete and utter douchecanoes can still be great musicians.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:That's cause if you stripped him of effects pedals he'd sound pretty bad.

That's no criticism at all. If you sound good, you sound good, and that's the end of it.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Dream wrote:
Midnight wrote:That's cause if you stripped him of effects pedals he'd sound pretty bad.

That's no criticism at all. If you sound good, you sound good, and that's the end of it.

I'm not saying jack white doesn't sound good. I'm saying that he's not a guitar god. being able to afford thousands of dollars worth of pedals does not a deity make. I don't feel that godliness and good-sound-liness are mutually inclusive.
uhhhh fuck.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

He doesn't sound like that because he can afford kit. He sounds like that because he can use it. I'm sure you'd sound rubbish with my kit, I know because I programmed most of it myself from scratch. That says absolutely nothing about your talents. It says nothing about mine that I'm standing behind a few grand worth of equipment when I play, because what you're hearing is me using it all properly, as opposed to just owning it. Same for Jack White. Buying a tube doesn't make his sound, using it does. I despair at people who thing buying things makes a performer sound good. It's insane.

And for the record, you said that shorn of his pedals he'd sound "bad". Not "not a god" but "bad". No wonder, I suppose, that he never, ever, ever plays acoustic instruments of any kind in case he gets found out...

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

Dream wrote:He doesn't sound like that because he can afford kit. He sounds like that because he can use it. I'm sure you'd sound rubbish with my kit, I know because I programmed most of it myself from scratch. That says absolutely nothing about your talents. It says nothing about mine that I'm standing behind a few grand worth of equipment when I play, because what you're hearing is me using it all properly, as opposed to just owning it. Same for Jack White. Buying a tube doesn't make his sound, using it does. I despair at people who thing buying things makes a performer sound good. It's insane.

And for the record, you said that shorn of his pedals he'd sound "bad". Not "not a god" but "bad". No wonder, I suppose, that he never, ever, ever plays acoustic instruments of any kind in case he gets found out...

I said jack white would sound bad without his pedals, and good with 'em. I guess I was unclear. Regardless, I don't think he sounds godly in either context.

If you're Tom Morello and you can make record scratch sounds on your guitar without effects, that's pretty cool. If you get your record scratch sounds with a record-scratch button (or pedal), that's significantly less cool.
If you're Stevie Ray Vaughn, your solos sound great cause you're frickin SRV. If you're jack white, your solos sound good, not because of your ability to play, but your ability to mess with knobs.*

*Now, it should be said that one's "ability to mess with knobs" is a hard-earned ability, or a talent, or whatever. It's what synth players do all the time. They mess with knobs to awesome effect. But nobody calls a synth player a guitar god. Godly guitar playing is what makes a guitarist godly.
Maybe jack white should be called an effects god.
uhhhh fuck.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

I love Jack White as a guitarist for songs like Ball and Biscuit, which doesn't sound particularly effects-laden in a way that it wouldn't still sound damn good with nothing but tube distortion. I mean, I'm sure he's using a Big Muff or something similar and probably a whammy pedal, but that's nothing unusual or excessive.

Return to “Music”