Triple Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

hemhhr

Triple Music

Postby hemhhr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

I'm listening to Psycho Killer, Holy Diver, and How Soon is Now right now. If I'm not paying much attention, and listening to music as background while I internet around or write, I like to listen to three songs at once. Two is a little frustrating, I keep trying to separate them in my head, but with three, there are new unexpected sounds every moment, is one thing I like. I don't really know why I find it so appealing.
Thoughts?

Dream
WINNING

Re: Triple Music

Postby Dream » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

That's really interesting. Say a bit more about how you go about it. Do you have three separate stereo systems, or are they all playing through the one? Are they synced in any way, in terms of, do you pick tracks of a similar length, tempo or style? How loud do you listen? I'd guess very quietly would yield the best results. Do you keep three separate playlists, or just add a new track as a previous one finishes? Do new melodies and chord progressions emerge from the juxtapositions, or is it intended to subsume melody and structure into the whole?
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

hemhhr

Postby hemhhr » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Good headphones, three different media player programs, you could probably do it right now. I just prick three songs that I like, or randomly pick songs that I've never heard before. In my favorite combinations, one has been slower than the other two, like one I just did with True Love Will Find You In The End, a Coltrane tune off Giant Steps and something else. The combination of all three is about as loud as a song of normal volume is. I put on a new song whenever any one of the three ends, and I fiddle with the volumes until I like what I hear. New melodies and chord progressions don't seem to emerge. Often, one melody seems dominant, and the others seem like a drone underneath it, or their peaks seem like a sort of embellishment to it. Like, a passionate vocal moment from a non-dominant song can sound like a sort of response to whatever's dominant. What's dominant changes pretty often, they all compete. New, very strange rhythms sometimes emerge. I pick two of them that have similar drum sounds and tempos near each other, it sounds like a single, insanely syncopated rhythm.
Just try it, it's really easy. I think the quality of my headphones really helps the experience, often when listening to music on these headphones I notice details or even instruments I never noticed before. So, even when listening to three songs, the sound quality is such that I can distinguish individual parts if I want to. I imagine they might blend like a bunch of paints making brown on iPod earbuds. So if you have decent speakers or headphones that's good.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

hemhhr wrote:Good headphones, three different media player programs, you could probably do it right now.

Trust me, dude. Playing three tracks at once is well within the capabilities of my music setup. Your aesthetic experience is much more interesting to me than are the technical necessities.

hemhhr wrote:New, very strange rhythms sometimes emerge. I pick two of them that have similar drum sounds and tempos near each other, it sounds like a single, insanely syncopated rhythm.

I've composed a few pieces that use this kind of technique, multiple rhythms layered to produce a gradually changing polyrhythmic whole. But I'm a polyrhythmic amateur next to Gyorgi Ligeti. Music starts about a minute into the video.

I'd guess you could easily hear what you're doing through cheap headphones or speakers. It's not that demanding in the grand scheme of things. What would be really interesting would be if your media player has a stereo balance control, because then you could use speakers and pan each track to a different location, which would create motion as well as dynamic changes as the different tracks predominated.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:05 am UTC

Later, I will try to listen to the unholy earbabies of Clutch, Deftones and Portishead.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:29 am UTC

That sounds kind of like what Steve Reich used to do, except Reich used the same sone 3 times
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:05 am UTC

You're a mash-up artist and you didn't even realize it
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

Dirk

Postby Dirk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

This sounds a bit like polyphonic melodies.

The first to use polyphony in music extensively is Bach. When Mozart came along music very much became two part: accompaniment + melody. But before that music was usually several melodies going on at the same time. Sometimes two melodies could have the same tonic, but different harmonies, yet they are sung at the same time.

A great example of this is Bach's Cantata's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9_25PyJ_w

First, a instrument one voice is introduced , quickly another one is introduced with another instrument. Then after 1 minute or so, the voices come in. Both changing between one and two melodies at the same time.

Ofcourse, there are much similarities between these melodies. They have the same tonic, are used within the same tempo. But I find this very beautifull already. But like Dream said, your aesthetic experience is very interesting!

Do you try to sync the songs in any way at all? What type of music do you generally listen? I noticed you said Coltrane is used, this is music with often only one melody going on with a not too loud rhythm. So I can imagine that can blend in much better with other songs than say, a big band all playing different melodies, or Bach's Cantata's for that matter.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:08 am UTC

Dirk wrote:This sounds a bit like polyphonic melodies.

The first to use polyphony in music extensively is Bach. When Mozart came along music very much became two part: accompaniment + melody. But before that music was usually several melodies going on at the same time. Sometimes two melodies could have the same tonic, but different harmonies, yet they are sung at the same time.

Bach used polyphony, but he certainly wasn't the first to use it extensively. Palestrina and Byrd were masters of polyphonic music over a hundred years before Bach did his work.
Anyway, I've got a couple of Youtube tabs open to listen to three songs, all of which are in the key of C Major, and it is pretty awesome.
picnic time!

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:31 am UTC

Charles Ives ftw. (I think he's 1 of the first composer who did this kind of stuff?)

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:59 am UTC

It's like doing Zaireeka the wrong way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaireeka
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Return to “Music”