My Bass won't tune properly.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

My Bass won't tune properly.

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

The D string will never tune up to D, only to B, before it pops back down to A (and I don't really want it tuned to EAAG, that's probably pointless). I am sure I am tuning it in the correct octave, and it had this exact problem once before (about seven years ago). It is a Yamaha RBX170.

I would rather see what I can do to fix it, if it is something within my ability at least, before taking it to a store to get it fixed. Money is, of course, short, so if anybody knows what I can do to fix it (buy new strings, though that was not the problem last time), or has questions so I can clarify the problem, please help. I've been offered a chance to work my way into a band, and I just want being a little rusty (which they can accept as long as it comes back to me--it has been) to be my only obstacle in achieving this.

Dream
WINNING

Re: My Bass won't tune properly.

Postby Dream » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Probably a faulty machine head. If you happen to have to leave it at the point of the fault in order to be in tune, you'll get the effect you describe, tuning closer and closer until the mechanism slips and the the tuning shifts. It's also possible that it's your string winding, so take the string off and replace it first. If that fixes everything, great. If not, look into replacing the machine head.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:02 am UTC

I'll try replacing the strings first; I found some on amazon that seem to give the sound out of a bass that I really like, and, likely will take the buzzing sounds that happens with a (comparatively cheap) beginner bass. It has been years since i changed the strings anyways, so they need it. If its a machinehead problem...is it easy to replace for someone who has successfully replaced a computer power source cold, or would I be better paying a professional?

six6six6six6

Postby six6six6six6 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 pm UTC

You sure you haven't accidentally put an A-string where there's supposed to be a D?

If you can't fix it, tune to EAAG and play prog rock.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

When you say it pops back down to A, do you literally mean "pops"? Does the actual tuning peg work its way back after you turn it?

If the tuning peg isn't moving as it goes out of tune, the string wasn't properly fitted in the peg, or it's come loose over time. In that case, replacing the string and ensuring it's inserted in the post properly will address the problem.
I don't know what to do for you

SlenderMan

Postby SlenderMan » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itQV00E6dvQ Go to youtube and look that up. I had the same problem I think and I had the same bass. I just remember I would start tuning it and I would here a snapping noise and it made the string loosen.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

I doubt getting new strings will fix the problem other than the act of restringing... the string might be wound around the tuning peg too many times or not enough times, but new strings won't fix the problem any better than unstringing and restringing with your old D string.

I have to imagine it's the machine head. And that's a really easy part to replace. You can do it yourself with maybe a .005% chance of destroying your guitar. :)
-Adam

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 am UTC

Are you living in humid/hot area? Because that always fucks up my strings.
If the strings are new, it's normal for them to get out of tune quickly for the first days.
But my best guess would be that a screw at the tuning wheel is loose, depending on what system you have you might fix it.
Also: It might not be something IN the tuning wheel, but the wheel itself which is screwed to the head of your bass.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

Return to “Music”