Screaming in Music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Screaming in Music

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

What're your guys thoughts on it? I'm curious as to what xkcd thinks, considering I've seen people express interest in here from super-obscure indie-folk to things like Behemoth.

And by "screaming", I mean things like 30 Seconds to Mars' old stuff (the line "This is who I really am" in The Kill comes to mind), Bullet for my Valentine, Black Veil Brides, and Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

As for my opinion, I don't like songs with vocals that are entirely screaming. I like it when it's mixed in with melodic stuff (Tears Don't Fall by BFMV). I don't know why, I just do. Your thoughts?
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Re: Screaming in Music

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I also rather like screaming in music if it is done at, say, a song's climax or whatever (eg "this is who I really am"). If the whole song, or even a somewhat large portion of the lyrics are screamt, I find it boring.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Just for the record, it usually sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAL0tikLL64#t=2m38s

I'm really opposed to screamo and hardcore music for the most part, and most of these screams really sound the same. If anything they seem to me like an attempt to add an edge to a song which is usually just a straightforward ballad.

Interesting that you'd mention Behemoth - they're sort of the other end of the scale. The vocals ARE the aesthetic, and because they're mostly unintelligible are basically just another instrument. It's a trapping of the genre, same as screamo, so you're free to like it or be repelled (or to try out some intermediate stuff first until you can tolerate it). I listen to a lot of music with varying vocal styles (including a lot of metal), and you learn to notice little distinctions between groups and genres, the bellowing singing of Southern sludge or the higher-register, throat-searing mournful tone of Gojira and progressive death. I think my problem with the screaming you mentioned is that it seems like a throwaway technique, to be used in the exact same way in a song's bridge or the end of the song without much thought and for an audience without much discrimination. It can't all be garbage, but I haven't heard a single song like that which manages to make the moment feel anything but calculated, intending to conjure the fury of a teenage temper tantrum but not even managing that.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:07 am UTC

Personally, I love Circle Takes The Square.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:03 am UTC

Depends on the music and the vocalist. It can be awesome, it can be awful. I hate screamo in the sense of the bands mentioned in the OP (and the clean/screamed dynamic in a lot of popular music really irritates me), but there's a lot of more 90s style hardcore and screamo that I like (like, say, Circle Takes the Square, or Pg. 99) that would sound weird with more melodic vocals. Same as death metal, black metal, etc. If the song isn't built around a vocal melody, the vocals have to be nonexistent or be more rhythmic and percussive. And it only really works if the vocalist sounds emotionally committed, otherwise it's just flat and awkward.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Depends if it's badass Protest the Hero screaming or lame James Maynard Keenan screaming.
uhhhh fuck.

Cello

Postby Cello » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:21 am UTC

It's definitely one of the most passionate ways to get your point across, musically.

However, when it is done just to be trendy, or all they're doing is barking out murderous phrases to sound tough and scary, it kinda makes me :roll:

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

If they don't do it all the time, I like it.

Some epic screams:
- The last time in the build up where they scream "I found myself" in Cities of the Future by Infected Mushroom
- The scream in Anathema's Pulled under at 2000 meters a second.
- In Devin Townsend's song Planet Smasher of the Ziltoid album. You first got this part done by low almost grunting vocals, then the music stops and you hear "Tell me what you want from me" and then ALL I WANT TO BE IS THE OMNIVERSE.
- Dir en Grey - Vinushka, first you get the drum roll, then the grunting, then the insane screaming.
- Mindless Self Indulgence - Mastermind, goes like "... kissed it all good-BYEEEEAAAAIIIIII"
- Tool - Vicarious, the last line. "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I"
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Roger Waters in Careful With that Axe, Eugene
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

viscusanima

Postby viscusanima » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Dasboard wrote:- The scream in Anathema's Pulled under at 2000 meters a second.

This. This. THIS.

I find screams can be pretty boring if an entire song is screamed - I personally like it when either the verses or the chorus is screamed, not both. I like to have something in a song I can sing along to - for example, Leeches by In Flames is one of the songs I can listen to again because the few lines of what resembles a chorus are clean, easy to sing along to and beautifully contrasted with the rest of the song. Actually, the entirety of In Flames' Come Clarity album has some great contrast. I like their earlier stuff for its growling, although it can be somewhat repetitive; but A Sense of Purpose, their latest album, really lacks the screaming and the growling which makes their music interesting.

One of my favourite bands of all time is Opeth, who use a combination of gutteral growling and beautiful clean vocals, and that, along with the combination of and contrast between the distorted guitars and blast beats and the soft, ethereal acoustics, makes their music utterly stunning. I know it's not screaming, but I guess growling is relevant as it's also an unconventional vocal style. I guess it also depends on what I feel like listening to - if I want to listen to something that is just heavy and growly the entire way through, I might go for Dark Tranquillity's The Lesser Faith (I admit this isn't that intense, I don't tend to like music that's purely a wall of sound the entire way, although I guess Lamb of God might be a good example of this, and I am very much a fan of them (although it's mainly for the lyrics, which are fantastic)) but if I wanted something with a lot of ups and downs, Opeth's Master's Apprentices or Ghost of Perdition are always good bets.

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

YEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

Won't Get Fooled Again, The Who. It's a perfect scream in every way possible.

But yeah, it only really works for me at a songs climax, if it lasts the whole song it just gets on my nerves.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

don't like songs with vocals that are entirely screaming. I like it when it's mixed in with melodic stuff

That's pretty much my stance. Songs/bands where it sounds like the lead singer is trying to sound like the frog harbinger of doom are a major turn off, but wailing vocals can certainly be made effective. I'm usually very leery of the stuff, but when its done exceptionally well I still gots to give credit.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Opeth is pretty much the end-all-be-all if you want mixed screaming/melody. FUCK YEAH, PROGRESSIVE MELODEATH.
uhhhh fuck.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

I'm not usually in the mood for screamo, but sometimes I am.

Demon Hunter uses a lot of growl vocals and singing with a little screaming, and I usually like them.

In the song Tourniquet by Evanescence, there is one screamed line and it fits in really well.

Оригами is pretty typical screamo, but doesn't limit the vocals to only screaming.

Flyleaf and Слот are examples of bands where the female lead occassionally screams.

There's lots more, and I have to say, it's a matter of taste, but usually I like it better if there's actually singing, as well.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

Flyleaf are pretty amazing for it.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 am UTC

Dave Grohl has some pretty awesome screams with Foo Fighters, check out Breakout and In Your Honor for some great examples.

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

Monkey Wrench has the best one really.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

bosonicyouth

Postby bosonicyouth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:46 am UTC

In modern radio rock and fashionable emo it comes off as incredibly contrived and annoying.
In hardcore, metal, grind, powerviolence etc it's basically necessary to have the yell/scream/growl switch on all the time. Otherwise, leave it off all the time please. There are very few exceptions to this rule, who can mix singing and yelling effectively, most notably Husker Du.
It's risky, but there are some less traditionally "loud" bands that are cathartic enough for screamed vocals to work. Two examples being La Quiete and Portraits of Past.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

bosonicyouth wrote:There are very few exceptions to this rule, who can mix singing and yelling effectively, most notably Husker DuOpeth.

Srsly. I'll admit I'm a pathetic fanboy, though.
uhhhh fuck.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

I find screaming acceptable so long as the instrumentals are good -- I tend not to pay too much attention to the lyrics of songs anyways though, unless they're made out to be the most central element. I also tend not to listen to songs where they lyrics are the central element very much, so go figure.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

LeagueOfMorons

Postby LeagueOfMorons » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

My enjoyment of screaming/growling/extreme vocals basically depends on how good the vocalist is at it. I'm not one to discriminate too much based on genre; I listen to screamo from time to time, and stuff like Underoath (mostly their later-period stuff) pulls it off pretty well, but mainly because Spencer's screams are very strong and guttural. They succeed in conveying the mood that the song is going for. A counter-example would be Atreyu - their screaming vocalist SUCKS. I'd like that band way more if the screamer had more talent.

Of course, death/black/whatever-metal has a totally different vocal aesthetic than screamo. Opeth has probably one of the best death-growl vocalists in the business today. I've also been really digging on Isis lately, and their use of vocals (both growled/screamed and clean-sung) is excellent in creating mood and ambiance within the song instead of hogging the spotlight.
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin And Hobbes

I write about music and stuff. You know, just for fun. You can read what I write here: http://relativepitchmusic.blogspot.com

petermarkeldh

Postby petermarkeldh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

I like screaming music when the content of the song brings significant meanings. Songs of linkin park is my favorite one. BREAKING THE HABBIT tells about screaming:

I don't know what's worth fighting for
Or why I have to SCREAM.
I don't know why I instigate
And say what I don't mean.
I don't know how I got this way
I know it's not alright.
So I'm breaking the habit,
I'm breaking the habit
Tonight

traveltheory

Postby traveltheory » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Screaming doesnt really make a difference to me. If a band is good its good regardless, if its bad its bad regardless.

Its become a cliche today and I rarely find myself dipping into my screamo library of my youth. Id still say the only bands that made any good use of it were the ones who started the trends ten years ago.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

traveltheory wrote:Id still say the only bands that made any good use of it were the ones who started the trends ten years ago.
Started the trends? Screamo is 20 years old, early-00s was the second wave.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

Whenever I think of screaming in music I think of the punk rock style bands that have a guy emit a pterodactyl screech. I have much disdain for the pterodactyl screams. Some songs I do like screams if they are well timed (as said earlier). But others I simply don't like so much, for some reason I think I'd enjoy red jumpsuit apparatus more if they screamed significantly less.

I think I really started hating pterodactyl screams when I went to warped tour recently to see what the buzz was all about. I'll stick to my indie music like beck where I've grown comfortable with the annoying noises.

Eastwinn

Postby Eastwinn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

TheAmazingRando wrote:
traveltheory wrote:Id still say the only bands that made any good use of it were the ones who started the trends ten years ago.
Started the trends? Screamo is 20 years old, early-00s was the second wave.

Screaming might as well be older than screamo. At least, harsh vocals have been around way before screamo.
http://aselliedraws.tumblr.com/ - surreal sketches and characters.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

My opinion is probably in the minority, but I like guttural/screaming vocals in music (when it fits the genre, of course) it just doesn't bother me. Also, some of my musical interests contains heavier music and clean vocals simply wouldn't fit.

traveltheory

Postby traveltheory » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:49 am UTC

Thats the point of what I said.

Its been around a hell of a lot longer then 20 years.Guns and Roses screamed would you call them screamo? What about every punk band that screams? What about Metal? I bet I can find some yodeling from the 50s that sounds alot like screaming.
You can split hairs anyway you like.

The current trend of this particular genre started to become popular about ten years ago. It was in use before that but it was limited. Screamo is just the bastard child of emo, the genre wasnt even around 20 years ago.if you feel like extending the definition and you can add another ten or so years.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:25 am UTC

While I agree with your timeframes, I disagree that only the trendsetters did it well. I think Bathory sucks, and they were one of the most (if not THE most) influential band on the Scandinavian metal scene.
uhhhh fuck.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:Opeth is pretty much the end-all-be-all if you want mixed screaming/melody. FUCK YEAH, PROGRESSIVE MELODEATH.

This, also this:

Midnight wrote:I'll admit I'm a pathetic fanboy, though.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 am UTC

I don't actually like screamo's that much. Just some bands like Opeth, Eluveitie, etc; I absolutely can't bear black metal and all that, but like the guy above said PROGRESSIVE/MELODIC DEATH METAL FUCK YEAH.
I write a blog rant here.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:18 am UTC

For a band where you con't understand what they're screaming, checkout The Crimson Armada
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Haevitetty

Postby Haevitetty » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:26 am UTC

If you dig deep into the metal underground you will find that the true metal vocalists all have a very distinctive way of doing harsh vocals. Only the more popular bands do vocals that are fairly similar-sounding to bands of the same genre. Some of the best underground metal bands have completely unique vocal styles: Sigh, (early) Mar de Grises, Walknut, Shining...

Of course, most of that isn't actually screaming. But same concept, right?

And for the record, Opeth is pretty shitty. There are dozens of bands that do the same thing but can actually competently write a song (and have much better vocals). I used to be a fan but that was before I found the true gems.
East of the sun and west of the moon

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Shining

Nor?

Or swe?
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

PhatPhungus

Postby PhatPhungus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Haevitetty wrote:And for the record, Opeth is pretty shitty. There are dozens of bands that do the same thing but can actually competently write a song (and have much better vocals). I used to be a fan but that was before I found the true gems.

Enlighten me

Return to “Music”