I Fight Dragons

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ithinkabouttrees

I Fight Dragons

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 pm UTC

So I was tripping around the net, when I came across a band that I instantly fell in love with.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, I Fight Dragons.

So let me explain a little about this awesome band. They use SNES and NES sounds in their games, but the songs aren't about gaming or nerdy stuff (well, some of their live stuff is, but we'll get to that.) Really, the songs are about stuff like relationships, money, life, and some covers. They are amazing live. I guess they are like Phish in how their shows are way awesome, but unlike them in how it's cool to listen to them on record as well. They haven't put out a full CD yet, but their stuff is still awesome.

The song style is kind of like this. If Green Day, Jonathan Coulton, Death Cab, and The Monkeys all took parts of their talent and mixed it together with a Super Nintendo, you would get I Fight Dragons. It's really catchy, but also well written.

I'm not saying they are "THE BEST BAND EVAR", but I am saying that they are going to be pretty big, as they already opened for Cobra Starship and 3OH!3, and the crowd ate it up. I just can't wait to see what they do.

If you guys haven't heard any of their stuff, their site has all of their music on it, and more.

http://www.ifightdragons.com/
"When all else fails, accept the extraordinary."

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

Bassoon

Re: I Fight Dragons

Postby Bassoon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

I'm glad you made this thread, because that means I no longer have to. I love IFD.

Euphonium
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

Postby Euphonium » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

Sounds like more low-culture trash with no valid cultural value.

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:43 pm UTC

Euphonium wrote:Sounds like more low-culture trash with no valid cultural value.

Care to elaborate?

I'm not being sarcastic, I really would like to know. It helps me decipher the idiots from the people with a valid point of view. Then again, most people on this forum should have a valid point.

Spoiler:
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR, DOBBY DIES, TONKS DIES, LUPIN DIES, SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE, TYLER ISN'T REAL, PLANET OF THE APES WAS REALLY EARTH, JAKE BECOMES ONE OF THEM, BENJAMIN DIES.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:24 am UTC

It's catchy, smooth, well-done pop. The SNES bits are cute and a decent hook. The musicianship is competent without being showy, for the most part.

I listened to most of what they had on their website and mostly enjoyed it, but it won't be a bookmark. Being designed to have pop appeal means, pretty much without exception, that the emotional content will be fairly shallow. Sure, the lyrics have a bit of an edge here or there, but nothing that would put off a mostly-mainstream audience. These folks are tuned to the key of "let's make a living from this". And all power to them if they can. Not everyone can be Bjork (and that's probably a good thing).
A man who is 'ill-adjusted' to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 am UTC

I watched a video of theirs where they covered the Zelda theme and there was a girl (not sure if it's the same one as in the picture) holding signs that said "save me" and then "fuck these guys, get me a beer". It was pretty cool.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Ithinkabouttrees wrote:
Euphonium wrote:Sounds like more low-culture trash with no valid cultural value.

Care to elaborate?

I'm not being sarcastic, I really would like to know. It helps me decipher the idiots from the people with a valid point of view. Then again, most people on this forum should have a valid point.

well as of this posting, Euphonium has six posts, and I've only seen two or three of them. They all seem hilariously elitist, so I'm gonna say he's chaff, not wheat.

I don't have sound on this computer, but from the description I'm guessing they're kind of a chiptune band but not as techno?
uhhhh fuck.

Ithinkabouttrees

Postby Ithinkabouttrees » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Midnight wrote: I don't have sound on this computer, but from the description I'm guessing they're kind of a chiptune band but not as techno?

Yeah pretty much. It's like power pop meets chiptune.

Spoiler:

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

I LOVE 'don't you'.
Edit: perhaps that statement wasn't strong enough. What I mean to say is that the only way these guys could be better is if they personally owned dinosaurs.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

Return to “Music”