Anyone else listen to internet radio?

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rtg928

Anyone else listen to internet radio?

Postby rtg928 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:04 am UTC

For a while I was having trouble finding songs that interested me but this suddenly got much easier thanks to internet radio. Internet radio has a much bigger variety than regular radio so I like it much better. Anyone else listen to it and if so what stations do you listen to?

mandachan

Re: Anyone else listen to internet radio?

Postby mandachan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Internet radio is a (non-existent)god-send. I only get real radio reception from the station in town, which is ok but not what I want to listen to, so I usually have Radio 104.1, which is an awesome alternative rock station out of New Haven, CT.

Sometimes I'll listen to Christmas music during the holidays, but that only lasts about a week or so before I want to kill something.
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:45 am UTC

I occasionally like to listen to Japan-A-Radio. While it's mostly anime soundtracks and standard J-Pop, they'll also sometimes play something a bit different like some traditional shamisen stuff.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

Cheburashka

Postby Cheburashka » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Not so much. I stopped listening to last.fm a while back when they released listening data and made some countries pay. I sometimes use Pandora, but it fails at finding similar music for me almost all the time. (Drudkh radio on Pandora is awesome though :))

mandachan wrote:I only get real radio reception from the station in town, which is ok but not what I want to listen to, so I usually have Radio 104.1, which is an awesome alternative rock station out of New Haven, CT.

Heh, I used to listen to that station occasionally. :P
RAGUS wrote:There are more metal bands than there are Pokemon,

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

I like listening to Pandora, though it annoys me sometimes how wrong it can be - I'll create a station based on a folk-rock song, and it'll play something with "heavy electronica influences", or something else that was clearly not present in the seed song.

It's gotten to the point that I'm nervous to hit the thumbs up/down buttons on any station that I'm happy with in general, because one wrong click seems to taint the entire station with weird things I didn't intend.
I don't know what to do for you

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:56 am UTC

Pandora.

However, I've been listening to it for so long that I think all my stations have begun melting together, because I've been getting weird results.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

psykx

Postby psykx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

I've been a long term massive fan of last.fm. It has love and hate buttons so it can learn what you do and don't like. The '$USERNAME Library' station will just play you music you have previously 'loved' and $USERNAME recommended radio will play you tracks it's think you like. If you have an android phone or an iphone it can stream music over 3G with the free application.

Especially if your like me and are always looking for new and awesome music in several genres last.fm is _the_ best thing since the beginning of time. I listen to it between 6-8 hours a day 6 days a week.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

I thought the User Library station only played songs that had been played before, but not banned?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

psykx

Postby psykx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I thought the User Library station only played songs that had been played before, but not banned?

Oh actually maybe it does, it used to only play songs that you had loved though. I guess I forgot.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

amans

Postby amans » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 pm UTC

Not exactly internet radio, but I love it:

http://www.littlelighthouse.net/

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

I used to listen to Last.fm and Pandora a lot, before both locked out us canucks (I think Pandora is Canada friendly again, though*). I found GrooveShark to be a pretty decent replacement, until I got a Sirius receiver and started listening to that online as well. There's a noticeable difference in format, though - Sirius is very much radio, but online, while the others are more like a neat front end to a huge music library. I still switch between the two - Sirius is more consistent and hands-off, while GS/Pandora/Last.fm are more varied and wide ranging.

*Just checked. Nope.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Return to “Music”