Dubsteppin'

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Dubsteppin'

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:05 am UTC

I like the drop in Doctor P - Sweet Shop, but overall the song isn't that amazing for me :<

Anyone have an opinion on the songs I linked? And anyone know if there is any good examples of swing or something similarly laid back and kinda jazzy and dubstep?

Also is this actually triphop? I find a lot of these Touhou arrangement videos are mislabeled, but I like it, perhaps my favourite song by ziki_7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6PFJh9_Wr4
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:If anyone thinks they've found the heaviest drop that ever exists then they need to link it here right now!

Maybe Starkey's Gutter Music, but my favourite is Skream's remix of Distance - Night Vision, it's a little understated compared to all the brostep that's already been linked, but that's more to my taste.

Actually, my absolute favourite would have to be the Bug feat. Warrior Queen - Poison Dart. Best drop ever.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:38 am UTC

Mmm, I seem to be much more into 'brostep' although that seems like a somewhat perjorative term for that subgenre, haha. :P

For me the best drop is loud, deep, extremely contrasted to what came before it, occurs on an offbeat after a break or stuttering (or a vocal cue) in the intro and leads into bass section with some stuttering and some breaks. :O

In other news... most of the Bare Noize Remixes I find are amazing, especially this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6doLyDy_v0
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:07 am UTC

I still think Skrillex has the best drops. He's brostep at it's most ridiculous and awesome. ie the one I linked at the start of the thread blew my mind the first time I heard it.
uhhhh fuck.

Retne

Postby Retne » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 am UTC

I have to say dubstep started out interesting but then did the exact thing every EDM genre does and splintered into a billion pieces. There is some of it that's alright but most of it is pretty generic at best. Skrillex isn't too bad but I think I heard his music a little too much. Also a lot of people are ripping that talking bass thing he does and using it ad nauseum(in every sense of the phrase). Part of my tiring of dubstep is that I've been hearing it for a couple years now and it has stopped developing and started stagnating.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, if you consider Mount Kimbie dubstep(a lot are calling it post dubstep), I like that. Very atmospheric and groovy stuff. It also helps that it sounds different and is sort of a mashup of a couple genres of EDM. I'm not exactly sure what subgenre of dubstep that is since brostep has pretty much just taken over the genre and devoured the name.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

I forgot to link Nero - Innocence which is amazing. :O
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:30 am UTC

How would you even describe La Roux- In for the Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix)? And can you find me more of it?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Retne

Postby Retne » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:40 am UTC

I would probably classify that song as breakbeat. I would hazard a guess that you might appreciate some Hybrid. They are a pretty darn good. If it's too busy for you(read: too many musical elements going on at once) try looking around for some minimal breakbeat.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:37 am UTC

There's a goddamn MILLION remixes of that one La Roux song.
edit like here's one that's utterly fuckin' different: skrallax king of the brostep.
uhhhh fuck.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:08 am UTC

Midnight wrote:There's a goddamn MILLION remixes of that one La Roux song.
edit like here's one that's utterly fuckin' different: skrallax king of the brostep.

Oh I remember that one being mixed in Excision - Shambhala 2010 and it's one of my favourite bits. This is my other favourite bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCy0ew21c7o

And this bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcveez-dn4
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:42 pm UTC

I'm sorry, but if we're talking about mixes then Plasticians sound that speaks volumes 2010 mix is easily my favourite. It is incredible, especially Bad to the bone --> Got 2 Know.

TygerFish

Postby TygerFish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

http://soundcloud.com/r2bl3nd/windows-7-x64-ms-paint-exe

It starts slow, but it's more of a hidden message than you'd find in any Beatles album: Microsoft devs are dubstep fans.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

I listened to Untrue by Burial recently, an album that almost everyone and his mother have been saying is better than Jesus, and I was absolutely shocked how profoundly, inhumanly BORING that record is! I think maybe two or three tracks caught my attention, but for most of the album I was expecting for the music to actually start. And this comes from someone who loves both Selected Ambient Works to death, so attention span and tolerance to lack of beats are not problems of mine. What the hell? Was I supposed to wear 3D glasses or something?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 am UTC

Haters gonna hate, I guess.
I was introduced to dubstep by way of filthy synths, so for some reason I only view it as goofy party music--so classy, 'real' dubstep, as opposed to "brostep" sounds contrived to me.
uhhhh fuck.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:02 am UTC

I have to say I did check I hadn't stumbled into ICT when he posted that.

To an extent I agree with you Midnight, but I have been getting more into 'oldschool' dubstep through reggae and dub. For example the bug's album has just been on repeat at my house, and I've got an album of classic Bristol dubstep that is ridiculously fun.

My favourite tracks would still probably make dubsola squirm though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 am UTC

"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Retne

Postby Retne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Hmm I actually like Burial.

Funnily enough my first dubstep experience was with brostep but I got tired of it pretty quickly. I think part of my problem with brostep is it's all noisy and styled to make you move except it's been 2-stepped to death. I think I like the definition of dubstep I read on another forum: "Dubstep is just DnB stuck in a K-Hole." I feel I have to agree. Any time I find myself listening to brostep I just find myself wishing it was at least a little faster paced.

It probably explains why I love Burial and Mount Kimbie. It's more relaxed and chill. Much more in tune to taking a walk/working/reading which fits the staggered beats much better. Of course this is just me and quite obviously YMMV.

evilspoons

Postby evilspoons » Mon May 09, 2011 7:42 pm UTC

My criticism with dubstep is that the music seems to be about the wobble-bass noise, rather than it being a means to accomplish a song. (The equivalent of artists who write songs with 7 minute technical guitar solos just to demonstrate their skills at the guitar.)

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I heard one of the new-ish Britney Spears singles and ... tada... at the end was a dubstep section. Nothing to do with the rest of the song, just there because it's trendy.

HOWEVER - this is not me saying "I hate dubstep", it's just me saying I really wish people would get over the novelty of the noises involved and actually start listening to it as music. I suppose that will happen over time.

(I found the dubstep-ish track on Deadmau5's latest album to be fairly enjoyable. Unfortunately, the rest of the album was pretty bland.)

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue May 10, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Can't say I'm a fan of dubstep. I listened to a few songs and it's like remixing but worse. Seems most of them just take a 10 second sample of the song, unaltered, and then play annoying bass heavy beats and then mix the song in places. I don't want to sound harsh, but a lot of it is hardly "musical" and mostly just thuds and weird sounds. I like my electronc music to make sense.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

zmatt wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of dubstep. I listened to a few songs and it's like remixing but worse. Seems most of them just take a 10 second sample of the song, unaltered, and then play annoying bass heavy beats and then mix the song in places. I don't want to sound harsh, but a lot of it is hardly "musical" and mostly just thuds and weird sounds. I like my electronc music to make sense.

Depending on what dubstep songs you listened to, there certainly a possibility that it was just some horrible, unmusical, tasteless remix. Brits with Cubase or whatever can easily take a song, chop it up, and throw in wobble bass sounds.

Did you listen to any of the stuff recommended in this thread? Dubsola particularly liked the more refined, subtle stuff as opposed to the cheesy fun stuff. Either way, I think you may be writing off an entire genre because you're listening to some remixes done by some kid still living in his mum's house. Not sure what all you checked out.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Tue May 10, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

fair enough. When i get the time I'll look into the recommendations. Right now I'm too busy listening to the Beatles though.

bbq

Postby bbq » Thu May 26, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Chill dubstep is where its at.. Clubroot, Phaeleh, some of Submerse, Boxcutter, and Burial. For more upbeat stuff, i mainly listen to Heyoka, Feed Me, and Pretty Lights.. All 3 of them kinda take their own unique look at making heavy/dancable dubstep, which is pretty awesome. I also make my own, occasionally.
niinn.ininniinniininiini.n.iii...ininiiinnninnin.inn.niniininnnn.

Mere Accumulation Of Observational Evidence Does Not Constitute 'Proof'.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

Well I came back from a car show that had a strong VW presence. They were wearing their hats the wrong way and blasting dub step. I'm going to assume this was the "good" kind. I didn't like it any more unless hearing lady gaga samples, random screams and wobble bass is cool. I think I dont "get it" and have resigned myself to that.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Sat May 28, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Why are you going to assume that was the "good" kind? (Again) have you tried listening to the recommendations in this thread?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat May 28, 2011 7:37 am UTC

Rue of thus? Anything "blasted" at a car show or anything else designed for mass cnsupution is untlkley to be the :"good stuff" of any genre.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Sun May 29, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:My favourite tracks would still probably make dubsola squirm though.

Yeah, that's just my taste though. Music is music, if you like it it's all good. Sometimes I like an epic drop or a crazy bassline anyway. It's just a little bit galling when someone says 'Dubstep has no dub', when it does... but the majority of the newer stuff has mutated away from that, and the deeper stuff is pretty much drowned out.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sun May 29, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Yeah, that's just my taste though.

Oh sure, just I happen to respect your taste quite a bit.
Squirm is too far anyway, 'be bored' is probably more accurate.

dubsola wrote: It's just a little bit galling when someone says 'Dubstep has no dub', when it does... but the majority of the newer stuff has mutated away from that, and the deeper stuff is pretty much drowned out.

I can totally see what you mean, but at the same time, isn't this just an indication of the ever fracturing nature of electronic music? That the whole Skrillex/brostep (I hate that phrase)/party stuff is shifting off from the more underground dub-y roots of the genre, to drift into I don't know, hard electro or something? Before you take me too seriously, you should probably note, I'm jetlagged to fuck, and so hungover that my mouth feels like someone swapped my tongue for moss. Mouldy, mouldy, moss.

-----------

Since posting that though my taste has continued to drift from where it was. I should say I was never a big skrillex/ridiculodrop fan. More sort of a middle of the road, bar9 501 and Nero lover, but I think my new favourite band (and holyshit I do mean band) in dubstep is Submotion Orchestra.Saw them live back in March (I think, apparently that's the only time they've been to Oxford) and I was blown away. I really rate them highly, and recommend everyone who gets the chance goes to see them.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon May 30, 2011 2:49 am UTC

I feel like somehow I've managed to both be ahead of the curve on dubstep, and totally miss the boat on it going mainstream. I've been listening to trip hop and dub since I was like, twelve, and a year or so back I took a stab at getting into dubstep, mostly through Skream and some other British producers. Thought it was interesting but eventually I just kinda forgot about it. Then I found out just a month or so ago that dubstep is huge now, and I'm like "man.... everybody else is all over this shit and I already got bored of it a year ago." Since it's already months into being en vogue, I dunno if it's even worth getting back into for it.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon May 30, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

http://youtu.be/U8mQnA7I0GI Dubstep Onslaught!
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

Dear dubstep thread, I come to you with a plea for information - does anyone know any other artists who sound like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISjlp7mwvc ? In particular the big bass drop and the strong rhythm it has to it? I've tried to find similar stuff on last.fm, we7, and youtube, but come up with nothing.

By way of explanation my taste in music usually tends towards metal (stuff like this, this and this). But I happened to get linked to the above and found myself nodding along to it in very short order. I've searched several dubstep playlists since but most other stuff I've found just isn't 'heavy' enough, and I'm wondering if this is maybe more characteristic of a sub-genre of it...

Preemptive thanks for any suggestions!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:11 pm UTC

I would suggest most everything by Bare Noize for that type of taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUqMBhglk5g (Only a demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_6ZvMJIBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6doLyDy_v0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9VZkXLqKeQ

And a bit of Skrillex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-YjVp_ibQ (Skrillex feat Bare Noize)

In other news, that first Bare Noize song (Prepare to Die) and this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Z2cQdJkEo are my favourite dubstep songs right now.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:43 pm UTC

Particularly like that first one you linked. Shall look into them more :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

This one is also particularly awesome: http://youtu.be/5FRKX2eQeks
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

Oh god damn.I haven't been this into a track for a long time. Makes me dance in my sleep.

lewis

Postby lewis » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

i keep forgetting then remembering then forgetting that I made a playlist of all the tracks i could scare up from the first two pages of this thread:

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/Dobstep/54314336

womp womp!

p.s. DFRNT's blog and magazine are pretty wonderful for the quieter side of things: http://www.sittingovation.com/, http://www.modusmag.co.uk/

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:47 pm UTC

Does anyone have any good lighter dubstep to recommend? Anything like Skream - listening to the records on my wall, or This would be lovely. I just love listening to the synth work so goddamn much.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Mumpy wrote:Does anyone have any good lighter dubstep to recommend? Anything like Skream - listening to the records on my wall, or This would be lovely. I just love listening to the synth work so goddamn much.

Adult swim have released a free compilation with some great new stuff. I would also highly recommend Nosaj Thing's Drift album. The beats are more in a hiphop mould but I think you'd probably like it anyway.

theGoldenCalf;

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 am UTC

dubsola wrote:
Mumpy wrote:Does anyone have any good lighter dubstep to recommend? Anything like Skream - listening to the records on my wall, or This would be lovely. I just love listening to the synth work so goddamn much.

Adult swim have released a free compilation with some great new stuff. I would also highly recommend Nosaj Thing's Drift album. The beats are more in a hiphop mould but I think you'd probably like it anyway.

I recently found Ital Tek (planet MU artist, what can go wrong) and Desolate (a Burial clone, but a damn good one).

Also, the recent Pinch & Shackleton album is really, really good. Really.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:10 am UTC

That E.T. remix is epic
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Return to “Music”