Electronic music

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oagersnap

Electronic music

Postby oagersnap » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

When most people think of electronic music, they probably think of stereotypical techno/house music: Very bass-heavy, very long tracks with almost no variation thoughout - something like this. Since that type of music doesn't really appeal to me, I used to write off electronic music as a genre. Since then though, I have discovered some electronic artists that make a completely different type of music that's very melodic and very varied, almost symphonic. To name an example, this song has actually become one of my absolute favourites.

However, I still think that the latter type of music is quite hard to find - usually electronic radio stations mostly play the former. So my questions are: Is there any name to describe that particular genre of electronic music, and can you recommend any music of the same type?
And also more generally: What type of electronic music do you prefer, if you like any of it?

SirMustapha

Re: Electronic music

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

If you're looking for that kind of stuff, try to search for the label "IDM". It stands for "Intelligent Dance Music", which I find an incredibly, preposterously STUPID label (and folks like Aphex Twin seem to share this opinion), but it's usually attached to artists of that kind. They also often call that kind of music "ambient", even though it is very distant from the original meaning of "ambient" coined by Brian Eno. If you want to search by genre, look for things with "ambient" attached to them -- like "ambient techno", "ambient trance", "ambient ambient" and so on. Better yet, though, is to look out for certain artists and use them as a starting point, looking for similar acts. You MUST listen to The Orb, Boards of Canada, Plaid, as well as classic Autechre (up to Tri Repetae or so -- they remained great, but went for a less melodic and more experimental and abstract route -- as well as their latest Oversteps), some releases by Aphex Twin (his both Selected Ambient Works are excellent, and very different from each other, and records like ... I Care Because You Do have really brilliant tracks) and so on.

Myself, I really like the 90's and 2000's trend of pushing the envelope of electronic music, taking it to extremes: Venetian Snares, Autechre, Squarepusher (his route of "electronic jazz fusion" is one of the most exciting and rewarding things this decade has given us) and so on. I think it's very interesting to delve deeply into the essence of electronic music and taking it as far as it can go -- instead of emulating existing music, trying to create new kinds of it.

Phill

Re: Electronic music

Postby Phill » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

You might want to check out a blog called Fat Roland on Electronica.

Scroll through the back catalogue particularly and you will find some links to some stuff I think you might like.

Return to “Music”