Explore a new genere

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

psykx

Explore a new genere

Postby psykx » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC

I love all types of music but sometimes it can be a little hard to find the good artests in a new genere so I thought people could recomend a few artests in each genere they know well and maybe ask about a genere that they want to get into. I'll start.

Soul it's been said (not by me) that motown is soul stamped on for white people and while motown makes you kiss, soul makes you screw. Check out, donny hathaway, O.V Wright, any of the singles on the stax singles album, geogie fame and sam cooke.

hip-hop Real hip hop rather than pop chart ganster rap. DJ premier, J Dilla, Q-Tip, 9th Wonder, madlib and kan kick.

rap Big L, Lord finesse, KRS-One, MF Doom, DPF, Phi-life cypher, lowkey and early foreign beggers

trip-hop/sample based music DJ shadow, RJD2, wax tailor, belleruche

If you want to add to these please copy and paste whats been said previously so you don't have to search the thread. If anybody knows anything about 1930's swing or early disco music I'd be delighted to know.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

sje46

Re: Explore a new genere

Postby sje46 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:14 am UTC

This is a good idea, actually.

One genre I'm very knowledgeable in is 60s psychedelia.

60s psych-rock: Beatles, Love, Pretty Things, Love, United States of America, The Byrds, The Move, Pink Floyd, Traffic, Yardbirds.

I would like to know more about neo-psychedelia.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

balderduck

Postby balderduck » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

90s Swing Revival (Neo-Swing): Squirrel Nut Zippers, Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire, Brian Seltzer, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

New Folk: Fleet Foxes, Bowerbirds, Iron & Wine
"Luther...I think I've contracted left-handedness..."
- Mister Sloordge, Balderduck

spoonner

Postby spoonner » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Boards of Canada are very good at doing ambient, wide soundscapes that you want to listen to whilst mellowing out.

MGMT is good at a sort of Psychedelic-Pop-Electro amalgamation that leaves you happy and dancey inside.

Aphex Twin is good at schizophrenic, syncopated electronic beats that don't really seem to make sense, but end up drawing you in, tapping along to the beat that you know is there.

Another group for Trip-Hop: Massive Attack is very, VERY good at Trip-Hop.They do tend to Goldfrapp is also good too.

xCOLTx

Postby xCOLTx » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:15 am UTC

As far as for the Hip-Hop list you started, my submission would be Living Legends. Go give Night Prowler a listen.
I listen to everything from Johnny Cash(Country/Western) to Three Six Mafia(Rap) to Asking Alexandria(Metalcore).
However, Hardcore/Heavy music is my forte.
To get started in traditional/NYC style hardcore, go give DEEZNUTS a try. They're from Australia, and they are a fantastic gateway into the genre. If you like that check out Have Heart, while no longer active, they're still the best new-age Hardcore band, along with Verse.

As for straight-up Heavy music, go listen to The Acacia Strain, they're as mean as they are heavy.

Return to “Music”