NOISE. ROCK.

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Account20151023

NOISE. ROCK.

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:02 pm UTC

So I started up a band with two of my friends. We're called Kung Fu Treachery. Our genre is noise rock. We're all pretty new at it. Our influences include Mclusky, Death From Above 1979, and Lightning Bolt. Our instruments are as follows:

Me: Guitar, Bass, Vocals
Drew: Bass, Guitar, Vocals, Keyboard
Josh: Drums, Keyboard, Vocals, Digeridoo, Turntables

With this in mind, I humbly request noise rock artists that we should listen to in order to be inspired. I didn't see a noise rock thread on here, so this can serve that purpose as well.

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Re: NOISE. ROCK.

Postby Microscopic cog » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

The Birthday party makes some great noise rock / post punk whatever you call it. ( Wikipedia says noise rock from the 80's ) Great lyrics, bizarre drumms.

Check out these songs, and their lyrics ( If they're even online )
Mutiny in Heaven - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcaXD--UINo
Sonny's Burning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77HA_xlDOo

For something louder, Mike Patton ( Anything really. Did you knew this guy voiced the guns in FEAR 2? Yea, guns. That's how sick he is. )

It's sort of hard to get noise rock, as their isn't much what really makes noise rock but rather things that evolved from it.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

You'll need one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiomcuNlVjk Three times a day, after meals, followed by this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqtSQ0_d0Xg , but I think this is the best one ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwIDcobO4l4

And this. Definitely this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-SpXJ3ops
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

ChocloManx

Postby ChocloManx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Ponyta are a pretty good band. I don't know if it classifies as noise rock, but I think it's the closest I know to the videos linked. you can download their album Friendship and Self-Discipline for free here.
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.
-Ambrose Bierce

"My God, all the matter in the universe has just rapidly expanded outward, in some sort of bang."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:43 pm UTC

oh my fuckin' god Dream. You slay me. I saw the title, opened up a youtube tab, and was going to link I Only Said and then say "sonic youth all day erry day, except the shitty albums"
uhhhh fuck.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

So many good suggestions. Can't wait until I get to go home because youtube is blocked at work. Sigh. One of the guys here just recommended the Fuck Buttons. Those of you who play noise rock, what effects/pedal loops do you use? Mine is:

Tuner
Compression
Whammy
Octave
Chorus
Overdrive
EQ
Noise Gate

Makes for a very grindy sound. The only ones always on are the compression, EQ, and gate.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

Many good suggestions so far (especially from Dream and the OP mentioning Lightning Bolt), I'd also say:

Sleigh Bells:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf2Ezo8SbSY
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

I find loop pedals to be mandatory. It's all about layering a ridiculous number of sounds.
Really, you can't have too many pedals, though. Sticking with My Bloody Valentine, look at Kevin Shields' setup.
Note that that's his MAIN pedalboard. If I recall correctly, there are TWO OTHERS.
uhhhh fuck.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Hey Midnight, your link is borked.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

I was so sure there'd be a Memory Man. Oh well, maybe there's like six on some other board. I'd go for something very coloured, like a Space Echo emulator or something.

I was also convinced that loads of the pitch effects on Loveless were done with tape manipulation, but I was totally wrong, it's floyd-rose action all the way. Pitch bending is the way forward for making your noise yet noisier.

EDIT: The link is fine for me.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

Midnight wrote:I find loop pedals to be mandatory. It's all about layering a ridiculous number of sounds.
Really, you can't have too many pedals, though. Sticking with My Bloody Valentine, look at Kevin Shields' setup.
Note that that's his MAIN pedalboard. If I recall correctly, there are TWO OTHERS.

This explains why noise rock reminded me of shoegaze. It's the same "let's do a bunch of effects pedals to make awesome noise" concept that make it seem similar to me.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:38 am UTC

hunh. The link is borked.

Regardless, google 'kevin shields pedalboard" and you'll understand.
uhhhh fuck.

jambi

Postby jambi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

All good suggestions. Lightning Bolt are just epic and that tour doc they did is awesome.

I would recommend the band Fly Pan Am. Sadly no longer together but amazing surf-noise, avant guarde, minimal outfit from Montreal. Not always straight up noise and on the mellower side but some good shit. On their last album they started to write "songs" but they're just these fucked up noise-pop compositions.

Good luck with your band!

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

I'd also make mention of Boredoms stuff in the 90s, especially Pop Tatari and Super Ae.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Been listening to a lot of suggestions here. So many great ones. Really digging Tomahawk. Mike Patton's respirator in God Hates a Coward (would link, but youtube is blocked at work) is just like what I was planning on doing with a gas mask I bought and gutted. I was going to cannibalize a shitty condenser mic for it, unless someone else has a better idea for something that would work. I know Brian Chippendale from Lightning Bolt uses a telephone receiver mic. My idea is to convert the XLR mic to quarter inch and use stomp boxes. The unshielded cord would also be way noiser than XLR.

Midnight wrote:Regardless, google 'kevin shields pedalboard" and you'll understand.

0_o

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote: I was going to cannibalize a shitty condenser mic for it, unless someone else has a better idea for something that would work.

Just to use a dynamic, which might be more forgiving of talking, screaming, singing etc inside a closed mask. Won't need power either, which is a huge bonus if you're planing on using guitar pedals.
BomanTheBear wrote:My idea is to convert the XLR mic to quarter inch and use stomp boxes. The unshielded cord would also be way noiser than XLR.

And unshielded cable isn't gong to give you lots of noise by itself, not unless you add an interference source deliberately. I wouldn't recommend that, simply because the chances of your interference leading to unwanted total failure. Give yourself an awesome cable, and preserve your signal exactly the way you want it to leave the mask. Then do whatever you like to it with pedals or preamps or whatever. More reliable, more control and probably far superior sound.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Good tips. Especially on affecting the sound. I hope I can find a sturdy one that'll fit. On top of that, I'm seriously considering running it through a whammy. Which would make it the second whammy I own (we're very based on octaves thus far). I definitely am looking to be in control of the sound, but just make it sound out of control. Thin line to walk. We just got our PA system back from my bassist's other band, so it's time to start experimenting.

bosonicyouth

Postby bosonicyouth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

I recommend Unwound especially "New Plastic Ideas" and "Repetition". Also, Blonde Redhead "Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons"

Touch and Go records put out a lot of crucial noise rock which tended to be more abrasive and pounding than atmospheric, I guess.
My picks would be the self titled Scratch Acid record, Big Black "Songs About Fucking" and Jesus Lizard "Goat" (probably the best of the lot, very reminiscent of the Birthday Party)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wilcAlAal8
best slide guitar solo ever

Zanmanoodle

Postby Zanmanoodle » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:00 am UTC

The closest I get to noise rock goes on a road from Velvet Underground through Sonic Youth, ending wherever Nick Cave is doodling around.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote: I definitely am looking to be in control of the sound, but just make it sound out of control. Thin line to walk.

If I can make another suggestion, I'd put dynamics right at the start of your signal chain, before anything else. Out of mask, into compressor. If you heavily compress the mic sound, you'll pick up all of the little by-product sound from inside the mask, from itself, from the mic capsule and from your mouth. You should be able to use that to control how out-of-control your sound is with just performance technique. It will also give you a predictable level for further effecting later, like your Whammy. If you're spending money, TC Helicon make a pedal that combines a mic pre, phantom power and a compressor into one. I haven't used it, but the TC kit I have used has been universally excellent.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

I'm trying to find the pedal you're talking about. Nothing seems to come up.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:15 pm UTC

This is the one. I reckon if you crank the gain on this, and turn up the compression, you'll get a very good foundation for your sound.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Ooooh. This looks....good. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Of loud.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

/me *is flattered*

I'd probably buy a piece of TC kit on a review, but that's because I've heard loads of them before. Do listen to it before you buy. Whatever ten or fifteen quid difference there is between online prices and real store prices is nothing compared to testing things out, and leaving the store knowing you really REALLY want to own the thing you just paid for. (I always feel guilty when I recommend things online, I'm terrified someone will end up with buyer's remorse because of me...)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:45 am UTC

TC usually solid, but there's hundreds of compressors, and of those, dozens of really good ones. I know a guy that has ten or so, and another that has 3 or 4 but keeps trading them in to get others. Gear addicts, doncha know. If I had a good salary, I'd do the same.
uhhhh fuck.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I'm no gear addict, but I do throw cash at it until I find the sound I want. Hell, even if it isn't the best pedal, I am doggedly loyal once I've chosen it. I'm waiting for my Red Howler harmonica mic to come in. I hope it does well for vocals.

arsenalfun

Postby arsenalfun » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:21 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:So many good suggestions. Can't wait until I get to go home because youtube is blocked at work. Sigh. One of the guys here just recommended the Fuck Buttons. Those of you who play noise rock, what effects/pedal loops do you use? Mine is:

Tuner
Compression
Whammy
Octave
Chorus
Overdrive
EQ
Noise Gate

Makes for a very grindy sound. The only ones always on are the compression, EQ, and gate.

That's not big problem dude, just find some proxy server, go to http://proxy-zone.net click on some proxy and unblock youtube..its easy :)

Back on topic, I like AC DC a lot, even if Im hip-hoper a lot :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Sure... he could use a proxy. But odds are a workplace that blocks Youtube is also a workplace that will fire you for using a proxy. Assuming the permissions are lax enough for him to do that in the first place.

Not to mention that most public proxies get blocked in the usual "Block Non-Work Related Websites" package.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not to mention that most public proxies get blocked in the usual "Block Non-Work Related Websites" package.

Correct. I'm in IT, so they know what tricks are out there. Fortunately, though, my place is pretty chill, and just the big ones like youtube, myspace, facebook, and personal backup sites (like photobucket) are blocked, but Vimeo, Yahoo Video, and a bunch of no name sites are available. The Websense isn't even really for our department, but to keep the non-IT people from watching cat videos all day instead of working. It's just a minor annoyance, and this place isn't blocked, so thumbs up to that.

I was expecting to get a massive horde of pedals for Christmas. But I did not. Oh well, late Christmas present to myself. I'm also considering building a guitar. Any tips? I've changed a pickup before, but never done a full build (probably will buy a body with a neck already affixed).

Mbwa

Postby Mbwa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Hey, I am really interested in nosie rock, and I just found this thread and joined the forums because I thought it was awesome. As I looked to find this thread again after registering I noticed a bunch of other things I find cool on this forum.

But anyway, I really like Lightning Bolt. Their drummer, Brian Chippendale, has a few otehr projects that are really awesome:

Black Pus, which is his solo project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsGSNvhEKa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQSSAAeoic

And Mindflayer, which is him and Mat Brinkman on some weird synthesizer type thing:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/mindflayer/tracks/caverns-of-the-hairiest-peak--177804073 (yeah this song is kinda long and may seem slow paced at first, but I think the buildup of tension is just awesome and it's really worth it to listen to the whole thing. It does eventually turn into an awesome, noisy, rapid-fire drum fest that you come to expect from Brian Chippendale.)

http://www.myspace.com/39237070

I admit I am fairly new to noise rock. I listen to more than just these bands, so I will post some more things later. I am interested in listening to more noise rock though, so I'll run through the discussion more thoroughly. I apologize if any of the links in this post were already posted.

One thing that I thought was cool about this thread too was the technical discussion. I'm still kinda new to it, but I've been reading about electronics, things like circuit bending, diy synth and effects pedal stuff. I really wanna form a noise rock band, even if it's only me. I think tomorrow I'm gonna go out nad buy a delay pedal (a cheap one, hey, it could be interesting) and a fuzz, which would be my first effects. I played guitar for a few years but kinda dropped it, now I am focusing on keyboard and trying to learn to paly drums with chairs, and I think I might play guitar again. Pretty soon I'll try to get back into modding and building things.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 am UTC

What about Boris?

I missed the chance to see them with Russian Circles earlier this year and I still regret it.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Mbwa wrote:I really wanna form a noise rock band, even if it's only me.

Good news! You have all the members you need already. Good luck, and remember that loop pedals can turn one of you into thirty of you.

Aethernox wrote:What about Boris?

I was there, man. More prog metal than noise, but hell, potayto, potahto. Future of the Left is probably one of the best bands out there right now. And fucking loud. I have a couple videos of them on youtube that I filmed, but again, blocked at work. Here's one of their new demos that I can actully link to.

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:I was there, man. More prog metal than noise, but hell, potayto, potahto. Future of the Left is probably one of the best bands out there right now. And fucking loud. I have a couple videos of them on youtube that I filmed, but again, blocked at work. Here's one of their new demos that I can actully link to.

Oh, christing god. I would have loved to see Baroness and Wolves in the Throne Room again, and I've been meaning to give High on Fire another chance. And then Boris and Neurosis? Just... ugh. [/envy]

They never struck me as that proggy; I mostly categorize them as noise rock, with occasional drone/doom material. Potayto, potahto indeed.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:41 am UTC

When I saw Boris live, they were noisy as hell and not really proggy at all. Their songs are experimental, but they don't really have the compositional complexity or the technicality that I associate with prog.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

I think I have a different idea of prog than most people I know. I tend to immediately associate it with experimental. Be that as it may, they were definitely experimental. Neurosis was probably the most oppressively loud band I've ever heard. It was quite an experience. I still have scars from that show. Oh yeah, and it was free, in case you didn't see the top right corner of the poster.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

that concert and concerts like it is the only reason I would ever consider living in georgia.
speaking of oppressively loud noise, I'd love to see Sunn O)) live. My dad says that he stopped hearing really high notes after one of the times he saw Yes. Which maybe connects to the prog thing.

The only stuff I know from future of the left is that they have a song called Small Bones, Small Bodies, which was an irritant when I was in a band called Small Bones.
uhhhh fuck.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Lightning Bolt and a lot of Noise Rock isn't...Noisy enough for me. However I do like some of noisier acts. Things like later era Hair Police, Black Dice, Birchville Cat Motel, Sword Heaven, etc.

Any of you like things like them?
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

ParanoidAndroid

Postby ParanoidAndroid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

Not super familiar with some of those, but Black Dice is solid.

I'm just now delving into power electronics. Starting with some Whitehouse. Anyone have any recommendations beyond that?

vaguelyhumanoid

Postby vaguelyhumanoid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:05 pm UTC

I fucking love noise rock. Probably my favorite noise rock band is the Paper Chase. Sort of a mixture of noise rock, industrial and post-hardcore, though they've been getting poppier lately, which works better then you'd think. They're also conceptual as fuck, with a lot of recurring themes and musical elements on an album as well as weird ambient interludes. I also really like Sonic Youth and Deerhoof. Some of the harsh noise/power electronics stuff is really cool, too.
Spoiler:
tesseraktik wrote: of course you need to gornax your frifftop to a proper taibou (which, as the construction of this tempered tutatu suggests, consists of two bed.pans joined by a haiku), or else angry zubat are going to flork off your penis.'

Return to “Music”