Instruments you wish you played

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

-Blue-

Re: Instruments you wish you played

Postby -Blue- » Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Ideally, I'd like to learn cello; it just has such a great sound to it. It'd be especially nice seeing as most things I write tend to focus on it, even above guitar. :roll:

Fire4ADryMouth

Postby Fire4ADryMouth » Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 am UTC

I play the guitar and am decent and I own a violin but I stopped taking lessons when I moved and it was fun
even though my teacher started me on an elementary level (which you kind of have to with violin), but if I
were to pick up another instrument it would be violin, or cello. Come to think of it, playing sax would be
hella cool so I could play the "Tank!" solo.

Fullcircle

Postby Fullcircle » Tue May 31, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

What also tends to be nice is, as you get experience with one instrument it tends to help you pick up others. Especially if they're semi-related.
I wish I could play harmonica, and violin. And keyboard would be a fun time as well.

wqdiia

Postby wqdiia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

I wish I played the saxophone. I own one but can't practice with it because the apartment (room) I live in is so small and the sound from it is HUGE.

I stopped playing the clarinet five years ago, now I wish I hadn't. I was getting pretty good at it. It's amazing to see notes for songs I could play then, now I can't even play the C major scale. I still own the thing but can't practice with it for the space problem.

Drakohel

Postby Drakohel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

I play piano and flute/piccolo, as well as a titchy bit of acoustic guitar. It's mostly self-taught these days, being out of school and away from the easily-available and hella-cheap instrumental teachers, but enough's stuck through the 12 (piano) and 7 (flute/pic) years of learning them that I pick stuff up fairly quickly. Guitar is entirely self-taught and I suck at it. I really wish I could play it properly...

I wish I could still play the double bass. In grade 4, our school forced all students to learn a string instrument (strings were the only option. Even if you already played a different instrument you still had to learn a string instrument because, hey, being the only kid in grade 4 who wasn't able to screech through an out-of-tune "Mary Had A Little Lamb" would get you teased so badly). I was the only one tall enough to play the double bass. Even though I never got around to doing anything neat with it, I still wish I could play the damn thing.

Failing everything else, I want to learn the drums. Just so I can be as cool as this guy.

ndkid

Postby ndkid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

I'd love to play the flute, I've tried on my friend's but all i'm able to get is a really high pitched screeching sound XD.
Of course this is coming from a guy who plays the tuba, which is like the complete opposite of the flute.

freakish777

Postby freakish777 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Cello.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:07 am UTC

Yup cello. And guitar, piano, harp, vibraphone. Maybe theramin too.

KrisLe

Postby KrisLe » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 am UTC

I wish I could play guitar and piano... Violin would be ok too )
Last edited by KrisLe on Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Bass. I played double bass in school, but I'd like an electric to play with. Also cello. Also piano, but that dream is being realized shortly.

However, an EWI would be the cat's pajamas.

And to top that off is the best god damn thing in the world: A hang.

Seriously, youtube some Hang videos and tell me you don't want one right now. And then despair because they're impossible to get.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

HamonRat

Postby HamonRat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

It will be great to study on drums. So powerfully, so rhythmically... mmm, it is a dream.
When i was child, i studied in music School, played at piano. But, it was too boring for me. Although, now i remember and tears fall down, when i realize what a fool i was.
It is... magnificently, when you can play on anyone musical instrument. If you study - study till the end. :wink:

ArchaicHipster

Postby ArchaicHipster » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:50 am UTC

Electric bass

Pipe organ, because they are simultaneously awesome and very permanent things. Hard to transport, though...

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

Cello!!!! :roll:

Evengeduld

Postby Evengeduld » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 am UTC

I'ld like to be able to play either the piano or a violin. Just because both sound awesome :)
~If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.~

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Why study physical chemistry when you can study ethanol metabolism through practical methods?

Gizzmo0815

Postby Gizzmo0815 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

The Hang Drum. It's like a neat variation on the steel drum with a lot of different little articulations you can get. Youtube it and you'll see some folks that do a lot of impressive stuff with them.

That's my vote ;)
Life is "trying things to see if they work".
-Ray Bradbury

IceFlake

Postby IceFlake » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 am UTC

The harp, so much! They're so beautiful to look at, to play, and to hear. Some of my favorite orchestral music features the harp heavily. I used to sit close to the harp(s) in orchestra and I loved it, but now I've been moved to kind of far away.

Probably won't happen unless I win the lottery. A good concert harp costs tens of thousands of dollars.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:51 am UTC

mandachan wrote:Something more interesting than percussion. I like the variety, but hitting things with sticks gets a little boring sometimes.

Ideally, an obscure variation of a common instrument. I have a thing for lower instruments, so maybe a flute d'amour or a bass recorder, or something of the like.

You should try the octobass. It's basically a giant upright bass.

I really want to play the cello. My inspiration for that is Apocalyptica. If I can learn how to play Nothing Else Matters on the cello, my life will be complete.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

nothinglikeit22

Postby nothinglikeit22 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:19 am UTC

I started the violin this spring and with a lot of help from my amazing friend I have learned the basics. I would confidently say I am almost passed the screeching shitty stage. I want to minor in music because it is sooo beautiful and I deeply regret not having stuck with it as a kid.

chris661

Postby chris661 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

I play (electric) guitar and bass. I really enjoy bass because there's a feeling of power: you find the right note, and stuff rattles, falls off shelves, and there's a resonant feeling in your chest.
I play guitar more because of the awesome sounds you can make. Like the intro to Come As You Are by Nirvana.

Anyway, more on topic, I'd love to be able to play piano. Oh, and the harp (thanks, IceFlake).

Chris
Marvin wrote: What a depressingly stupid machine.

GENERATION 95592191 : The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

SupDE

Postby SupDE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:And to top that off is the best god damn thing in the world: A Hang

Seriously, youtube some Hang videos and tell me you don't want one right now. And then despair because they're impossible to get.

Not impossible, just not easy. ;)

I started on one of these (also very cool) and then saved my ass off to buy the real thing.

Next up, Singing saw :D

El Queso del Diablo

Postby El Queso del Diablo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:04 pm UTC

Uhm, zither, cello, organ, luthéal, glass harmonica, generally keyboard percussion instruments(
(vibes, marimba, and the like), and the balalaika.

casualevils

Postby casualevils » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:13 am UTC

Absolutely 100% the pipe organ. I blame my love for them on my friend who is obsessed with the Baroque, and this: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/10/worlds-most-magnificent-pipe-organs.html. I've had the privilege of hanging out in the choir loft at my church and even that modest instrument is still powerful when you're standing right next to it an can feel the wind from the pipes. I also dragged my parents into the Wanamaker's in Philadelphia to see the HUGE one they've got in there. They're just so freakin majestic. As stated above, however, it's a terribly inconvenient hobby :D

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Grand Piano
Reed and Pipe Organ
Glockenspiel
Bass Guitar
Double-Speed Guitar
Mandolin!
Spanish guitar and introducing acoustic guitar
Plus, tubular bells.

J/K I already know how to play the rockenspiel and tubular bells (they're called "chimes" on this side of the pond, though)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:23 am UTC

I wouldn't mind learning a string instrument, primarily violin or cello, but I doubt I ever will. I don't have any motivation to put in the time it would require to learn the piano, but if I could get my hands on a harpsichord I would learn to play it!

I really wish I could sing though, it almost feels like a minor disability being unable to pitch my voice the way I know it should sound :/
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:23 am UTC

I feel a little disappointed that no one so far has mentioned the instrument I play (baritone horn) but for some reason when I saw the thread title, the first thing that came to mind was some highly complicated set up allowing one to play all four parts to a rock band(or the newer versions of guitar hero) song all by oneself, if you got good at it, that could be highly impressive.

Garrett

Postby Garrett » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

I really wish I could play violin and piano. The worst thing is, when I was 6 or 7 my parents made me take one piano lesson and then asked if I want to continue and I said no. Man was I stupid as a kid. However I WILL learn violin, mark my words...
"Death solves all problems - no man, no problem."
"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:51 am UTC

Add in another vote for the Hang for me.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:03 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Grand Piano
Reed and Pipe Organ
Glockenspiel
Bass Guitar
Double-Speed Guitar
Mandolin!
Spanish guitar and introducing acoustic guitar
Plus, tubular bells.

J/K I already know how to play the rockenspiel and tubular bells (they're called "chimes" on this side of the pond, though)

Hah.

First time I listed to that album when that part came up and I realized what was going on (it was background music) I was laughing for a couple minutes.

drego642

Postby drego642 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:34 am UTC

For me, it's mostly: bassoon, french horn and cello.

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:25 am UTC

Let's see...

Fiddle
Organ pedals (can play the manual parts)
Bagpipes
Hammered Dulcimer
Banjo (clawhammer)
Timpani
Harmonica (knocked that off the list last year)
Cajun Accordion

Maraki

Postby Maraki » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 am UTC

I just realized that I'm lucky enough to be able to play every instrument I want to play -

Electric (or acoustic) bass
Voice (with an emphasis on a rock/metal tenor and a opera and choir bass)
French horn
Trumpet
Irish tin whistle

I quite honestly feel like an extremely fulfilled person in this regard. I've never really even thought about this, but if I want to play an instrument I simply do whatever I have to to get my hands on it. Being in a family of musicians and going through nearly a decade of formal musical training (and thus putting me firmly in the social circles of other musicians) probably helped quite a bit.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

wurlitzer153 wrote:Organ pedals (can play the manual parts)
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

A note of encouragement to all the people who wrote "cello."

I was a pretty decent single-reed player for years (clarinets and saxophones), then started learning cello at an, errr, advanced age.
It's been about 12 years now, and I'm making slow, painful progress, but I am incredibly glad I did take up the cello. Those days when things come together (like tone, rhythm, dynamics) are pure heaven.

Practice more! should be everyone's mantra.

BTW, on travel I use the Yamaha collapsible silent cello. It's got pretty good action and nice sound thru headphones.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 pm UTC

uma wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I really wish I could learn to play the trumpet. No money = no trumpet.

I was looking at trumpets as a gift for a friend a while ago, I couldn't believe how expensive they are. With most instruments you can go poor but decent enough quality second hand or something, but trumpets are just damn expensive.

If you think brass instruments are expensive, you have a rude awakening ahead of you. Woodwinds (good ones) are worse, and the classical string family can go off into the stratosphere.
I'm seeing top-end pro trumpets listing for 2 to 3 grand. That'll get you a semi-playable student cello if you're lucky. I've seen cello and violin bows going for over 20 grand!
Buffet-Crampon clarinets run 2 to 7 grand. I'm not even going to look at pro bassoons :-( .
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
uma wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:I really wish I could learn to play the trumpet. No money = no trumpet.

I was looking at trumpets as a gift for a friend a while ago, I couldn't believe how expensive they are. With most instruments you can go poor but decent enough quality second hand or something, but trumpets are just damn expensive.

If you think brass instruments are expensive, you have a rude awakening ahead of you. Woodwinds (good ones) are worse, and the classical string family can go off into the stratosphere.
I'm seeing top-end pro trumpets listing for 2 to 3 grand. That'll get you a semi-playable student cello if you're lucky. I've seen cello and violin bows going for over 20 grand!
Buffet-Crampon clarinets run 2 to 7 grand. I'm not even going to look at pro bassoons :-( .

Contrabassoons, 5-octave marimbas, and grand pianos are about the top of the list, excluding famous violins sold at auction and pipe organs.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

quetzal1234

Postby quetzal1234 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 am UTC

A professional bassoon can get up in the 30 grand range. According to a bassoon player I know. Harps are worse.
WibblyWobbly wrote:If the ratio of the length of the shaft of a 4-iron to the diameter of a blackberry is 3*pi^3 + 2*pi/3 + (2*e-pi)/(2*e*pi), how does that tell me whether I should use a sand wedge or a lob wedge against an opponent holding an apricot?

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon May 13, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Contrabassoons, 5-octave marimbas, and grand pianos are about the top of the list, excluding famous violins sold at auction and pipe organs.
And to get the pipe organ you generally need to buy the cathedral around it.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon May 13, 2013 5:16 pm UTC

Do the helicopters used in Stockhausen's string quartet count?

ImagingGeek

Postby ImagingGeek » Mon May 13, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

I grew up playing guitar, saxophone and piano. I which I could still play then; I own the former 2, so I don't really have an excuse...
I have a new blog, on making beer.

Not that anyone reads it...

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Cello. Have you heard this!. The false harmonics at the very end of the piece are particularly astounding, and a good show of just how versatile an instrument can be in the right hands(except nobody else is Rostropovich, so...).

I'm not good enough at the stuff that I'm playing right now, though, I can't seriously consider taking up yet another instrument any time soon.

quetzal1234 wrote:A professional bassoon can get up in the 30 grand range. According to a bassoon player I know. Harps are worse.

A new Steinway grand is upwards of 100k+. Also someone with whom I am vaguely antiquated (via someone else) and who is studying cello recently tried out a 10 million dollar cello...

*cries*

Return to “Music”